These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CSM7 Summit Topic: Null Sec

First post
Author
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#401 - 2012-06-06 08:34:56 UTC
Shepard Wong Ogeko wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:

Oh so your saying your opinion would not be as irrelevant as a member of the politburo's, evaluation of life for a soviet citizen was in the old USSR?

GTFO with your dumb analogies.

Quote:

Yes life in the largest alliance in the game with its 9130 members is probably not dull, but what about every person not in your alliance or one of the bigger ones?

Who is left outside of the large alliances? I don't really care if the people who want to vacation in sov null find it interesting. I hope they find nothing to do except be chased by angry mobs, so they can go back to highsec and warn everyone how bad it is. Most of the people who come to our space are only here to snipe at us anyway, because WE are the content.

And players still have options like lowsec, npc null and wormholes, and those tend to favor small gangs more than space that currently requires large fleets of large ships to take and hold. Along with having no large numbers, most of the people crying that "null is boring" can't seem to articulate why they want to hold space and what they would do with it.

Sov null is for giant player made empires to duke it out, not some free fire zone for people bored of L4's.

Well look at you with your opinions. Lol
Frying Doom
#402 - 2012-06-06 08:35:08 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
While not going into which parts I agree and disagree with. It is rather pointless having a member of the largest alliance in the game commenting on whether Null sec is boring or not. It is roughly the same as having a rich merchant banker recruited straight out of college commenting on poverty. It really doesn't work. Commenting on Sov changes Yes, on the boredom factor No.

While we may be big, that doesn't change the fact that we've got quite a few initiatives to try to keep nullsec from being boring, and they don't involve big blobs or sov warfare. This is, incidentally, also things which smaller entities could do while basing out of, say, NPC nullsec or lowsec.

Just because we're from big alliances, doesn't mean we can't discuss a wide variety of topics.

Oh I perfectly agree with you but you engage in discourse. Some others just call other peoples ideas dumb, all the while saying everything is peachy.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Bossy Lady
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#403 - 2012-06-06 09:19:00 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
While not going into which parts I agree and disagree with. It is rather pointless having a member of the largest alliance in the game commenting on whether Null sec is boring or not. It is roughly the same as having a rich merchant banker recruited straight out of college commenting on poverty. It really doesn't work. Commenting on Sov changes Yes, on the boredom factor No.

While we may be big, that doesn't change the fact that we've got quite a few initiatives to try to keep nullsec from being boring, and they don't involve big blobs or sov warfare. This is, incidentally, also things which smaller entities could do while basing out of, say, NPC nullsec or lowsec.

Just because we're from big alliances, doesn't mean we can't discuss a wide variety of topics.

Oh I perfectly agree with you but you engage in discourse. Some others just call other peoples ideas dumb, all the while saying everything is peachy.

But really though it does seem like Goons are doing the things you want doing. They're easily the most pro-active 0.0 alliance when it comes to engaging new players into nullsec gameplay, they've fostered multiple smaller alliances into more or less worthwhile sov holders, they continually engage other game factions rather than just squatting in their space, and they agitate for game balance issues like Titan & Technetium rebalancing.

Incidentally, there are 0.0 alliances who aren't part of a massive bluebloc. They mostly live in NPC 0.0, but that's what NPC 0.0 is for. My own dear INITdot is one of them.

Posting on this character because apparently some people get upset when they're asked difficult questions. M.

Shepard Wong Ogeko
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#404 - 2012-06-06 09:27:13 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:

Yes very well thought out and reasoned argument. I think the part where you said You don't care, really summed it up.

It would hope it did sum it up, but I'm sure it still went over your head.

And I can't wait for more sage wisdom from the guy who doesn't live here. All the people here that actually live in nullsec right now are just waiting for you to tell us how it really is. I'll just ignore the 5+ fleet adverts I got today, and forget that NCdot put bubbles and sniping ships on the VFK undock earlier, and not notice the notorious ganker in my system right now. Yup, nothing to do at all. Total snooze-fest. I might just evac all my stuff to highsec, since we were supposed to be kicked out of Dek months ago buy an alliance that doesn't exist anymore. Oh, if only nullsec wasn't so boring and static.
Bossy Lady
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#405 - 2012-06-06 09:54:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Bossy Lady
Shepard Wong Ogeko wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:

Yes very well thought out and reasoned argument. I think the part where you said You don't care, really summed it up.

It would hope it did sum it up, but I'm sure it still went over your head.

And I can't wait for more sage wisdom from the guy who doesn't live here. All the people here that actually live in nullsec right now are just waiting for you to tell us how it really is. I'll just ignore the 5+ fleet adverts I got today, and forget that NCdot put bubbles and sniping ships on the VFK undock earlier, and not notice the notorious ganker in my system right now. Yup, nothing to do at all. Total snooze-fest. I might just evac all my stuff to highsec, since we were supposed to be kicked out of Dek months ago buy an alliance that doesn't exist anymore. Oh, if only nullsec wasn't so boring and static.

Dear Shephard Wong Ogeko,

We can't help noticing that you seem to be under the impression that your personal experience is somehow more "valid" or "real" than the received wisdom of the EVE-O forums NPC corp alt community. Whilst we are naturally glad to hear that you, as an individual, are having a fairly intense, varied 0.0 experience with plenty of PvP, we do ask you to bear in mind that the forum consensus impression of the reality of nullsec life is of course entirely the opposite. In the interests of constructive discourse, we therefore request and require you to refrain from muddying the waters with your so called "facts" and "experience".

Best regards and many thanks,

The EVE-O forum NPC corp alt community.

Posting on this character because apparently some people get upset when they're asked difficult questions. M.

Frying Doom
#406 - 2012-06-06 10:04:13 UTC
Bossy Lady wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:

But really though it does seem like Goons are doing the things you want doing. They're easily the most pro-active 0.0 alliance when it comes to engaging new players into nullsec gameplay, they've fostered multiple smaller alliances into more or less worthwhile sov holders, they continually engage other game factions rather than just squatting in their space, and they agitate for game balance issues like Titan & Technetium rebalancing.

Incidentally, there are 0.0 alliances who aren't part of a massive bluebloc. They mostly live in NPC 0.0, but that's what NPC 0.0 is for. My own dear INITdot is one of them.

Congrats on using Null. It is nice to hear.
I am not in any way totally anti-goon, I am anti-certain members who believe because they are members of the largest alliance in the game, they are better than everyone else and that their views mean more than other peoples.

The titan nerf needed to be done because of botting and RMT that trashed the mineral market and made them easier to produce than was intended.

While the goons do add a dimension to Null and no one can deny that. The sov system it's self has caused a slowdown to what should be a more alive system. Coupled with that is the fact that while the creation of friendly alliances in Null does make good economic sense it makes the game a lot more boring.

I will not deny the great ideas of some of the members of Goonswarm like Capitals and Forts, Jump Drive Nerfs and so much more. A lot of these ideas are really good places for people to gain a good point for forward discussion and to create a statement to stand behind. If more of their members actually discussed things rather than just yelling at people and mocking them a larger proportion of them might be taken more seriously. Also being the largest Null alliance it follows that they should be gaining the most Null newbies.

But with twice the space of Empire and only fifth the population in Null more needs to be done to get to want people to go there. There will always be those that will not leave hi-sec no matter how much they are attacked.

Personally I have noticed sections of NPC null that have become deserted recently, so it is either summer decimating corporations or something else happening. I would like to see new population figures.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Bossy Lady
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#407 - 2012-06-06 10:23:54 UTC
Nullsec will always have a lower population than Empire. The limitations of player outposts alone will ensure that, plus the greater time/risk overhead of travelling and so on.

The first - the very first - step that needs to be taken is to remove the biggest barriers to nullsec populations actually engaging in local activity other than shooting: buff player outposts so that they're at least as good as NPC stations (they should be better, really, but parity would be a good start) and remove the limit on having one player outpost per system. This change alone would make a radical difference to the life of players who would love to be industrialists, researchers, inventors and so on in 0.0 but who simply can't compete with the greater efficienies of the free, risk-free, highly concentrated infrastructure available in hi-sec.

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#408 - 2012-06-06 11:09:47 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
The titan nerf needed to be done because of botting and RMT that trashed the mineral market and made them easier to produce than was intended.

This wasn't the "titan nerf", this was the "drone region nerf". At least in relation to the minerals, I don't give a flying **** about botting or RMT, but I'm not sure the titan nerfs were done to combat that either.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Frying Doom
#409 - 2012-06-06 11:14:12 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:

This wasn't the "titan nerf", this was the "drone region nerf". At least in relation to the minerals, I don't give a flying **** about botting or RMT, but I'm not sure the titan nerfs were done to combat that either.

I thought when the titans were introduced that they were supposed to be so rare due to amount of minerals required to build them that they believed that only a few would ever be in the game.

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#410 - 2012-06-06 11:24:07 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:

I thought when the titans were introduced that they were supposed to be so rare due to amount of minerals required to build them that they believed that only a few would ever be in the game.

Completely different problem. The titans weren't nerfed to fix the botting/RMT which trashed the mineral market, they were "nerfed" because they were being used as oversized BS/dreads blapping everything. The mineral market was a result of the gunmining which the drone region had.

RIP Vile Rat

Frying Doom
#411 - 2012-06-06 12:13:25 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:

Completely different problem. The titans weren't nerfed to fix the botting/RMT which trashed the mineral market, they were "nerfed" because they were being used as oversized BS/dreads blapping everything. The mineral market was a result of the gunmining which the drone region had.

I meant I thought part of the nerf was because there were only meant to be a handful in the game and that they have proliferated because of bots and RMT.

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#412 - 2012-06-06 15:44:03 UTC
It is a combination of problems.
Shepard Wong Ogeko
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#413 - 2012-06-06 20:29:53 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:

I meant I thought part of the nerf was because there were only meant to be a handful in the game and that they have proliferated because of bots and RMT.

Botting helped get the resources to make them. Now, those same resources could have gone to build subcaps or fund subcap reimbursement plans for average players. The reason the resources were funneled into supercaps was because they were such an obvious "I win" button. And then it became obvious the only counter to your enemy's Titan was to build yourself 2 Titans. Then it spun out of control like the real world nuclear arms race, and to be a major alliance you had to have fleets of Titans.
Serina Tsukaya
Dropbears Anonymous
Brave Collective
#414 - 2012-06-07 02:21:02 UTC
The game is only as fun as you try to make it, the testies are down in delve right now, fighting not for space, but for the fun of it. Heck, they even reset some of their buddies so that they can have more stuff to shoot at for a while. Why? For the sake of having fun. If you aren't in an alliance that will do that for you, then you need to find someone else to fly with. Null isn't as boring or dull as you might think, after all, null is the one place in eve where everything that you and your friends (read alliance) can do whatever they want without being bothered by concord or empire standings. Sure, you won't be able to take on that 6000 man alliance and wrestle sov from them that easily with your 200 man corp, but if you could, then things would be a bit off wouldn't it? After all, that big alliance has put in a lot of work to get that many people together for the same ideals, and keeping it from falling apart is a nightmare in it's own right.
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#415 - 2012-06-07 06:47:49 UTC
Serina Tsukaya wrote:
The game is only as fun as you try to make it, the testies are down in delve right now, fighting not for space, but for the fun of it. Heck, they even reset some of their buddies so that they can have more stuff to shoot at for a while. Why? For the sake of having fun.

That is good news to hear CFC reset someone. Who was it?

Serina Tsukaya wrote:
If you aren't in an alliance that will do that for you, then you need to find someone else to fly with.

****, so we are playing the game wrong again? X

Serina Tsukaya wrote:
Null isn't as boring or dull as you might think

They why does some of your friends say it is on the forums every other day?

Serina Tsukaya wrote:
null is the one place in eve where everything that you and your friends (read alliance) can do whatever they want without being bothered by concord or empire standings.

They removed unknown space? Damn it! X

Serina Tsukaya wrote:
Sure, you won't be able to take on that 6000 man alliance and wrestle sov from them that easily with your 200 man corp, but if you could, then things would be a bit off wouldn't it? After all, that big alliance has put in a lot of work to get that many people together for the same ideals, and keeping it from falling apart is a nightmare in it's own right.

I am more concerned about that 200 man corp having to deal with 6000 man alliance at the same time. Instead of say, the members of that 6000 man alliance that live in the space the 200 man alliance is trying to take. Besides, it is not just the 6000 man alliance they have to deal with. It is everyone who is blue with them as well. So an entire coalition, in the same system, at the same time.

Wow you guys really have no clue what we are saying do you? No one is saying that 200 man corp should be able to mop the floor with that 6000 man alliance, much less them and the giant coalition they are a part of. The entry level and scaling of taking space in null is the issue. POWER PROJECTION, POWER PROJECTION, POWER PROJECTION!!!!! They should be dealing with a section of that. Only a section because the rest of the coalition is having to inhabit the rest of the space they control. Like physically there to regulate **** and I don't mean all dog pilling into one system to shoot some stupid structure and then blob over to another system on the other side of the galaxy to go mentally insane shooting yet, another structure.

No one is wanting new or existing crap mechanics to be what a sov holder has to deal with. Invading AND defending should both be equally rewarding and fun. Who cares what new or existing mechanic is changed as long as it is not some yawn fest to deal with? I am for the removal of local in all space, but in the same stroke I want a new scanner/whatever introduced that is user friendly, not Excel crap, rewarding results that reflect the amount of effort put into using it. Above all it should be 0% - ZERO ******* PERCENT - boring! Who the hell wants to pay someone money to do something boring? No one wants boring!

I feel like I am talking to a brick wall.

It is great you are having fun resetting those buddies of yours.. I just feel like you are not on the level of discussion about null and other mechanics. You are only seeing the tip and I am talking about the entire iceberg. Unfortunately this forum is the worst medium to discuss all the issues due to CCP letting trolls do whatever they want. So trying to have a civil and intellectual conversation/debate about anything is just pointless. I guess they think that letting the forums go to absolute **** makes the game more hard core and marketable in that sense.
Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#416 - 2012-06-07 07:39:00 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
No one is wanting new or existing crap mechanics to be what a sov holder has to deal with. Invading AND defending should both be equally rewarding and fun. Who cares what new or existing mechanic is changed as long as it is not some yawn fest to deal with? I am for the removal of local in all space, but in the same stroke I want a new scanner/whatever introduced that is user friendly, not Excel crap, rewarding results that reflect the amount of effort put into using it. Above all it should be 0% - ZERO ******* PERCENT - boring! Who the hell wants to pay someone money to do something boring? No one wants boring!.

Removing local would increase the tedium factor of living in space by an order of magnitude. I don't know about you, but tedium isn't a good thing. I don't disagree at all about wanting to make things more exciting (or specifically, not boring), playing with issues of power projection, all of that is good. Removing local is far too scorched-earth, though, and the insistence of it happening by a very small amount of people is becoming little more than a repeated troll.

Food for thought for the next time you get upset about the level of discussion.

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Signal11th
#417 - 2012-06-07 10:42:17 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Marlona Sky wrote:
No one is wanting new or existing crap mechanics to be what a sov holder has to deal with. Invading AND defending should both be equally rewarding and fun. Who cares what new or existing mechanic is changed as long as it is not some yawn fest to deal with? I am for the removal of local in all space, but in the same stroke I want a new scanner/whatever introduced that is user friendly, not Excel crap, rewarding results that reflect the amount of effort put into using it. Above all it should be 0% - ZERO ******* PERCENT - boring! Who the hell wants to pay someone money to do something boring? No one wants boring!.

Removing local would increase the tedium factor of living in space by an order of magnitude. I don't know about you, but tedium isn't a good thing. I don't disagree at all about wanting to make things more exciting (or specifically, not boring), playing with issues of power projection, all of that is good. Removing local is far too scorched-earth, though, and the insistence of it happening by a very small amount of people is becoming little more than a repeated troll.

Food for thought for the next time you get upset about the level of discussion.

its funny you mention that the insistence is by a few people when those arguing against seem to be just as small, that statement really comes from politics 101, if you repeat something enough times people will believe wether its true or not.

only seems to be a certain segment of 0.0 that wants to keep (see what i did there? Two can play that game.)

Anyway how many times do you use local to do the thing is was designed for e.g chat? Local is used as a pure free intel tool and nothing else? people mentioned titans being nerfed because they were doing things they were not designed to do, so what's The difference with the intel channel? Sorry local?

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#418 - 2012-06-07 11:08:51 UTC
It wouldn't be a problem if the replacement (which quite a few of the proponents FOR removing local hasn't come up with) didn't mean that the gankers get a disproportionate buff whereas the effort of the hunted also go in the roof disproportionally. vOv

RIP Vile Rat

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#419 - 2012-06-07 18:48:42 UTC
Signal11th wrote:
Anyway how many times do you use local to do the thing is was designed for e.g chat? Local is used as a pure free intel tool and nothing else? people mentioned titans being nerfed because they were doing things they were not designed to do, so what's The difference with the intel channel? Sorry local?

Rarely, but it does get used. Either way, it's a moot point as I don't have the slightest problem with local being a free intel channel, as it works both ways and keeps the tedium level of both living and hunting in null to manageable levels.

Besides, the reason I call it a troll is that 99% of the advocates just keep saying "remove local", oftentimes with no replacement for it at all, or some nebulous words about some kind of scanner to replace it (again, with no details about how it'd actually work). That's why it gets a vitriolic reaction from anyone who actually LIVES in null - you don't need to look any farther than the drone regions to find out what happens when CCP takes something major away and doesn't add an adequate replacement.

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#420 - 2012-06-07 23:29:25 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Besides, the reason I call it a troll is that 99% of the advocates just keep saying "remove local", oftentimes with no replacement for it at all, or some nebulous words about some kind of scanner to replace it (again, with no details about how it'd actually work). That's why it gets a vitriolic reaction from anyone who actually LIVES in null - you don't need to look any farther than the drone regions to find out what happens when CCP takes something major away and doesn't add an adequate replacement.

These are frequently accompanied by 'it works just fine in wormholes so nullsec should have it too!" without any consideration of the other unique aspects of wormspace and how they affect people's ability to operate there.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.