These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CSM7 Summit Topic: Null Sec

First post
Author
Hrothgar Nilsson
#381 - 2012-06-05 19:56:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Hrothgar Nilsson
Snow Axe wrote:
If only there was a class of ship that could bypass stargates and carry cargo. IF ONLY.

Were you replying to me?

If you were, I was talking about people, not stuff.
Dex Nederland
Lai Dai Infinity Systems
The Fourth District
#382 - 2012-06-05 20:49:36 UTC
Hrothgar Nilsson wrote:
In the six or so weeks since I started playing, I've come away with the distinct impression that null-sec is effectively blockaded from high-sec via low-sec.

I'm currently in null-sec, but didn't make the move out there until there was a wormhole from high-sec that brought me to where I'm currently based in null-sec. I didn't bother to even consider moving through low-sec to get out there.

If the corps in null-sec would map routes through low-sec that bridge their holdings in null-sec to high sec, and have groups of their corp holding all the gates along that route so contracted miners and haulers could pass through, it might improve things. And make null-sec less boring.

Null-Sec alliances tend to have diplomatic contact information for those wanting to gain standings and access to low-end null sec resources. The alliance may or may not want you there.

That is not something for CCP to fix, rather it is a choice made by player organization leadership on how they operate. Most sov holding alliances operate Not-Blue-Shoot-It. This means if they don't know you, they are going to shoot you.

You have to give a reason why those alliances should favor an outsider over their own miners & traders (if they have any).
Hrothgar Nilsson
#383 - 2012-06-05 21:03:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Hrothgar Nilsson
I wasn't referring to holding gates in low-sec so any random person could pass through.

I also made absolutely no reference to changing game mechanics.

Simply that low-sec effectively blockades null-sec from high-sec for the majority of players.
Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#384 - 2012-06-05 21:10:24 UTC
There are a few stargates that bypass lowsec entirely and got straight from highsec to 0.0

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#385 - 2012-06-05 21:11:37 UTC
Your complaint makes no sense. If stuff isn't an issue, either (a) podjump or (b) get in something small and fast and cheap and fly out yourself. I really don't get why having to fly in lowsec is a problem, especially since you're going to null.

Also, planned corp routes would be a disaster as it'd ensure that the "route" is camped solid by pirates. The fact that there can be multiple routes to a destination system is in your favor.

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Hrothgar Nilsson
#386 - 2012-06-05 21:33:18 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Your complaint makes no sense. If stuff isn't an issue, either (a) podjump or (b) get in something small and fast and cheap and fly out yourself. I really don't get why having to fly in lowsec is a problem, especially since you're going to null.

Also, planned corp routes would be a disaster as it'd ensure that the "route" is camped solid by pirates. The fact that there can be multiple routes to a destination system is in your favor.

I wasn't complaining. Merely commenting that it seems like null-sec is effectively blockaded from high-sec.

The solution to what I've seen commented as "broken-ass null-sec" is in the hands of the players. Players have failed to devise solutions to "fix" null-sec.
Shepard Wong Ogeko
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#387 - 2012-06-05 23:55:17 UTC
Hrothgar Nilsson wrote:
Snow Axe wrote:

I wasn't complaining. Merely commenting that it seems like null-sec is effectively blockaded from high-sec.

The solution to what I've seen commented as "broken-ass null-sec" is in the hands of the players. Players have failed to devise solutions to "fix" null-sec.

First off, nullsec isn't completely blockaded. People set up ambushes on the most common routes (like what auto-pilot creates) but there are other routes. And as you noted yourself, wormholes are another way to get in. There are also several types of ships that have abilities to get you around most gate camps, and people do it everyday.

Also, lowsec isn't that bad. So long as you warp gate to gate in a reasonably quick and not too flashy ship, most people won't bother you.

Many complaints from nullsec dwellers have to do with the sov mechanics, and with limits placed on sov null (structure grinding, jump bridges, station services). Moving large fleets of large ships and grinding down sov structures is time consuming, and if the enemy just gives up, then there really isn't any action.

Aside from actual sov warfare, the rest of the fun is left up to the players, and not all sov holding alliances are the same. Many of these people should be crying at their alliance leadership and not at CCP for ways to have fun. Other alliances have no problem with the fun factor, and spend there efforts pestering CCP for balancing titans, materials and fixing other nullsec features.

The "nullsec is boring" argument is pretty dumb. Part of it is poor leadership not coming up with things to do. Part of it is outsiders looking in, highsec dwellers who don't know what to do on day-trips to nullsec. Only the part about structure grinding is really CCP's fault.

Frying Doom
#388 - 2012-06-06 01:00:34 UTC
Shepard Wong Ogeko wrote:
Hrothgar Nilsson wrote:
Snow Axe wrote:

First off, nullsec isn't completely blockaded. People set up ambushes on the most common routes (like what auto-pilot creates) but there are other routes. And as you noted yourself, wormholes are another way to get in. There are also several types of ships that have abilities to get you around most gate camps, and people do it everyday.

Also, lowsec isn't that bad. So long as you warp gate to gate in a reasonably quick and not too flashy ship, most people won't bother you.

Many complaints from nullsec dwellers have to do with the sov mechanics, and with limits placed on sov null (structure grinding, jump bridges, station services). Moving large fleets of large ships and grinding down sov structures is time consuming, and if the enemy just gives up, then there really isn't any action.

Aside from actual sov warfare, the rest of the fun is left up to the players, and not all sov holding alliances are the same. Many of these people should be crying at their alliance leadership and not at CCP for ways to have fun. Other alliances have no problem with the fun factor, and spend there efforts pestering CCP for balancing titans, materials and fixing other nullsec features.

The "nullsec is boring" argument is pretty dumb. Part of it is poor leadership not coming up with things to do. Part of it is outsiders looking in, highsec dwellers who don't know what to do on day-trips to nullsec. Only the part about structure grinding is really CCP's fault.

While not going into which parts I agree and disagree with. It is rather pointless having a member of the largest alliance in the game commenting on whether Null sec is boring or not. It is roughly the same as having a rich merchant banker recruited straight out of college commenting on poverty. It really doesn't work. Commenting on Sov changes Yes, on the boredom factor No.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#389 - 2012-06-06 01:06:33 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
While not going into which parts I agree and disagree with. It is rather pointless having a member of the largest alliance in the game commenting on whether Null sec is boring or not. It is roughly the same as having a rich merchant banker recruited straight out of college commenting on poverty. It really doesn't work. Commenting on Sov changes Yes, on the boredom factor No.

Oh ok I guess we should pack it up guys, ~FRYING DOOM~ has decided we can't talk about what life is like in the space we actually live in! Let's cede the discussion on the future of nullsec to pubbies who daytrip on occasion, surely they'll be able to tell us what's best for us!

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Alia Gon'die
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#390 - 2012-06-06 02:37:41 UTC
Veshta Yoshida wrote:
There should be mechanics that cater to/benefit guerilla fighting and skirmishing, if only to give the sheep something to do while waiting for the next reinforcement timer/TiDi event.

Dude. Your bias is showing.

Self-appointed forums hallway monitor Ask me about La Maison and what it means for you! http://bit.ly/LTW5gW These wardec rules are not in place for our protection. They're in place for yours.

Alia Gon'die
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#391 - 2012-06-06 02:39:15 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Hrothgar Nilsson wrote:
Snow Axe wrote:

Please enlighten us, oh former highsec dweller, on what needs fixing in nullsec.

Self-appointed forums hallway monitor Ask me about La Maison and what it means for you! http://bit.ly/LTW5gW These wardec rules are not in place for our protection. They're in place for yours.

Frying Doom
#392 - 2012-06-06 03:12:14 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:

Oh ok I guess we should pack it up guys, ~FRYING DOOM~ has decided we can't talk about what life is like in the space we actually live in! Let's cede the discussion on the future of nullsec to pubbies who daytrip on occasion, surely they'll be able to tell us what's best for us!

Oh so your saying your opinion would not be as irrelevant as a member of the politburo's, evaluation of life for a soviet citizen was in the old USSR?

Yes life in the largest alliance in the game with its 9130 members is probably not dull, but what about every person not in your alliance or one of the bigger ones?

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Frying Doom
#393 - 2012-06-06 03:13:53 UTC
Alia Gon'die wrote:

Please enlighten us, oh former highsec dweller, on what needs fixing in nullsec.

That is an easy one Lol

People who are too lazy to read whole threads on forums.

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#394 - 2012-06-06 05:19:34 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Yes life in the largest alliance in the game with its 9130 members is probably not dull, but what about every person not in your alliance or one of the bigger ones?

Ask them. Pretending like our perspective is somehow irrelevant is pretty pathetic though, even for you.

Shepard Wong Ogeko
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#395 - 2012-06-06 06:35:41 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:

Oh so your saying your opinion would not be as irrelevant as a member of the politburo's, evaluation of life for a soviet citizen was in the old USSR?

GTFO with your dumb analogies.

Quote:

Who is left outside of the large alliances? I don't really care if the people who want to vacation in sov null find it interesting. I hope they find nothing to do except be chased by angry mobs, so they can go back to highsec and warn everyone how bad it is. Most of the people who come to our space are only here to snipe at us anyway, because WE are the content.

And players still have options like lowsec, npc null and wormholes, and those tend to favor small gangs more than space that currently requires large fleets of large ships to take and hold. Along with having no large numbers, most of the people crying that "null is boring" can't seem to articulate why they want to hold space and what they would do with it.

Sov null is for giant player made empires to duke it out, not some free fire zone for people bored of L4's.
Frying Doom
#396 - 2012-06-06 06:42:56 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:

GTFO with your dumb analogies.

Quote:

Who is left outside of the large alliances? I don't really care if the people who want to vacation in sov null find it interesting. I hope they find nothing to do except be chased by angry mobs, so they can go back to highsec and warn everyone how bad it is. Most of the people who come to our space are only here to snipe at us anyway, because WE are the content.

And players still have options like lowsec, npc null and wormholes, and those tend to favor small gangs more than space that currently requires large fleets of large ships to take and hold. Along with having no large numbers, most of the people crying that "null is boring" can't seem to articulate why they want to hold space and what they would do with it.

Sov null is for giant player made empires to duke it out, not some free fire zone for people bored of L4's.

Yes very well thought out and reasoned argument. I think the part where you said You don't care, really summed it up.

Frying Doom
#397 - 2012-06-06 06:43:52 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:

Ask them. Pretending like our perspective is somehow irrelevant is pretty pathetic though, even for you.

Most of you have stated your opinion of life in null, in a big Alliance. Move onLol

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#398 - 2012-06-06 07:41:30 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Most of you have stated your opinion of life in null, in a big Alliance. Move onLol

You don't even live in null. You should edit every post you've made in this thread and replace it with "HI I'M A BIG DUMB. PS IF YOU TOOK ME SERIOUSLY GET HELP".

Frying Doom
#399 - 2012-06-06 08:05:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Frying Doom
Snow Axe wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:

You don't even live in null. You should edit every post you've made in this thread and replace it with "HI I'M A BIG DUMB. PS IF YOU TOOK ME SERIOUSLY GET HELP".

You are correct I no longer live in Null. Why? because it was boring and Dull.
And as you apparently speak for Goonswarm, you might want to learn that calling someone a "BIG DUMB" is likely to get you laughed at a lot as their public representative.

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#400 - 2012-06-06 08:31:39 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:

While we may be big, that doesn't change the fact that we've got quite a few initiatives to try to keep nullsec from being boring, and they don't involve big blobs or sov warfare. This is, incidentally, also things which smaller entities could do while basing out of, say, NPC nullsec or lowsec.

Just because we're from big alliances, doesn't mean we can't discuss a wide variety of topics.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat