These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

[Proposal] Ship/Turret-Size aesthetics overhaul

Author
Rushnik
Qubit Boundaries
#1 - 2012-06-04 23:41:44 UTC
I'd like to see the “turrets size to ship”-dilemma adressed.

Seriously.

Its a waste we now have all those new turret/launcher-models made for ship hulls with very old hardpoint designs, since
they don't look believable in their size and features. It is not so bad on many smaller ships but even there difficulties arise.

I like seeing CCP putting effort in the visuals of the game - maybe I'm just a lil bit different because I like the 'cinematic effect' of EVE and sadly I must say they did a rushed job in my opinion. Their aim was to implement new turrets into the game that looked better, flashier, but they had to fail because they were restricted by the old ship models.

I can see how It must've been very difficult to get everything right on every ship because it has to be modular, but this resulted in exact this look: every turret/launcher looks like its glued on the ship, they have all the same size, which looks rediculous. Their placement needs to be considered so they can shoot the target immediately I click on fire, which also adds problems.

It's time for a real overhaul of the ship creation process to make things faster while creating them and more forgiving in future changes that will come, i.e. new T2 versions.


I'd like to see these things reconsidered:


  1. turret size -> WW2 had bigger guns then EVE compared to ship size
  2. turret/launcher placing on ship hulls -> be... creative but not stupid?
  3. a way to make them less look like 'glued on' -> give them a 'buried in' look
  4. sensible turret designs -> spinning rims on my AC?
  5. be daring -> let others work for you


This is something that's not feasible in a half a year and needs many working hours in the the design department and drawingboard, but they are updating ship after ship anyway and I think they could do this at the same time and get a better result in the end from the playerbase.

Support this idea if you think its worthwhile breaking out of the detached developing circle they are doing now! Ships and turrets need to be looked at together!
I don't want a bone or two every now and then. I'd rather starve and then get some juicy meat instead of many bones only.
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#2 - 2012-06-05 01:58:44 UTC
One thing I noticed is that on the Geddon models, the mega pulse lasers hang off a little bit.
SeeSeeBeee
LOL dec
#3 - 2012-06-05 08:47:11 UTC
i agree on some of the turrets dont actually look like turrets.

before the turret implementation, laser turret (large ones) looked like fishball on a stick attached to ship, while being pretty plain, they do look like a turret.

after the turret implementation, large laser turrets dont really look like a turret when attached to amarr boats, instead they look like fire hydrants or sumthing like that. It only appeared to be "apparently its a turret" when u click on the item description icon and get a close up animated view of said turret.

FloppieTheBanjoClown
Universal Risk Strategies
WeR4
#4 - 2012-06-05 17:43:33 UTC
Rushnik wrote:
WW2 had bigger guns then EVE compared to ship size


Because we can compare metal tubs floating on water to self-contained starships.

Rushnik wrote:
turret/launcher placing on ship hulls -> be... creative but not stupid?


I have no complaints about turret placement. Most of them look great.

Rushnik wrote:
  • sensible turret designs -> spinning rims on my AC?
  • It's an autocannon. It spins.

    I think the progress they've made with guns in the past two years has been great and I want CCP to continue their current course.

    Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

    FloppieTheBanjoClown
    Universal Risk Strategies
    WeR4
    #5 - 2012-06-05 17:45:17 UTC
    SeeSeeBeee wrote:
    after the turret implementation, large laser turrets dont really look like a turret when attached to amarr boats, instead they look like fire hydrants or sumthing like that. It only appeared to be "apparently its a turret" when u click on the item description icon and get a close up animated view of said turret.


    This is probably a more realistic model, as it makes a lot more sense to merely move the lens or a mirror than the entire laser. I've not looked closely enough at my lasers to notice.

    Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

    Rushnik
    Qubit Boundaries
    #6 - 2012-06-05 21:21:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Rushnik
    FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:


    Because we can compare metal tubs floating on water to self-contained starships.

    Then to what should we compare them? Tell me ... I'm listening.
    Even if we don't compare them to anything, can you tell me why the turrets have to look like glued on and much too small on some hulls?

    FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:

    It's an autocannon. It spins.

    Thats a good one almost made me laught...almost

    FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:

    I have no complaints about turret placement. Most of them look great.

    Oh, yes most of them, but not all imo.

    FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:

    This is probably a more realistic model, as it makes a lot more sense to merely move the lens or a mirror than the entire laser. I've not looked closely enough at my lasers to notice.


    You didn't look close enought? Then go look! Tell me how you like them. Are you content?
    Theres a reason they don't differ in size much, which leads to restrictions in the creation process to make them fit on many hulls.


    FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:


    I think the progress they've made with guns in the past two years has been great and I want CCP to continue their current course.


    And where is that course headed? You know that course absolutely? Don't get me wrong, you sound like you are content with the current situations and I can understand you, but the only reason I'm writing this is because I'm trying to look ahead.
    I sense another little overhaul and another overhaul and so on. I'm trying to say they should take a good look at the big picture they are trying to paint.

    PS: I'm sick and tired of people explaining/countering everything with fluff.
    Dersen Lowery
    The Scope
    #7 - 2012-06-05 21:38:11 UTC
    Rushnik wrote:
    FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:


    Because we can compare metal tubs floating on water to self-contained starships.

    Then to what should we compare them? Tell me ... I'm listening.
    Even if we don't compare them to anything, can you tell me why the turrets have to look like glued on and much too small on some hulls?


    As I recall, CCP wants to render the turrets the same way that the ship is modeled, but they've run into a host of issues that make it look bad. So the current turrets are, in fact, pasted on. It's not anything that CCP considers a permanent solution; it's just the best alternative for now.

    Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

    I voted in CSM X!

    Jerick Ludhowe
    Internet Tuff Guys
    #8 - 2012-06-06 11:08:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Jerick Ludhowe
    FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:
    Rushnik wrote:
    WW2 had bigger guns then EVE compared to ship size


    Because we can compare metal tubs floating on water to self-contained starships.

    Rushnik wrote:
    turret/launcher placing on ship hulls -> be... creative but not stupid?


    I have no complaints about turret placement. Most of them look great.

    Rushnik wrote:
  • sensible turret designs -> spinning rims on my AC?
  • It's an autocannon. It spins.

    I think the progress they've made with guns in the past two years has been great and I want CCP to continue their current course.


    1. When a game starts taking the roles and names of pre and 20th century warships we can indeed start making comparisons... Considering that the dev team has obviously done the same I think it's safe to say we, as a community are right on tracking by making similar comparisons

    2. You're either blind or your opinion holds no weight as it's undoubtedly a bad one. Unlike Mrs. Smith's first grade class, not all opinions are actually considered correct. You have shown an excellent example of this by claiming that turrets with huge clipping issues and very sub par animations / stretchy effects look great. Your opinion is incorrect.

    3. Auto canons do not spin, look up the different between an auto cannon and a rotary cannon for obvious examples.

    4. No doubt there has been improvement however the improvement we as pay customers have seen to this game over the past few years as been less than satisfactory. Almost every implementation of "updated" graphics has been half asses at best. Like I stated there are clipping issues, bad/unreasonable placement of launchers and turrets, huge seams running down the "spines" of ships where the textures meet, and barley improved weapon firing effects that fail stretch the same way they did back in closed beta almost 10 years ago... Improvements need to be done by those willing to take the time to avoid obvious mistakes, not those looking to rush high school quality skins/models to an increasingly bitter eve community.
    Velicitia
    XS Tech
    #9 - 2012-06-06 13:38:27 UTC
    Rushnik wrote:



    1. turret size -> WW2 had bigger guns then EVE compared to ship size
    2. turret/launcher placing on ship hulls -> be... creative but not stupid?
    3. a way to make them less look like 'glued on' -> give them a 'buried in' look
    4. sensible turret designs -> spinning rims on my AC?
    5. be daring -> let others work for you




    1. By name, yes ... but I think our guns are bigger calibre.
    2. some of the stupid is because of which slot you put things in. Other times ... yeah, it's just stupid
    3. As mentioned, they're working on it... or something.
    4. I like the mini-gun style for the ACs, mostly because you'd just have two weapon platforms that are visually the same ... not terrible, but meh.
    5. not sure what you're looking for here?

    One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia