These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

CCP Navigator please clarify this.

Author
La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-06-05 17:25:15 UTC  |  Edited by: La Nariz
Hi you posted this in C&P:

CCP Navigator wrote:
While death and destruction are certainly part of EVE game play it is worth reviewing this article.

Players should feel free to emgage in ganks, however, engaging in a concerted campaign on an individual may result in action being taken under grief play. Such actions taken would be at the discretion of Customer Support.

You know things like this really should be clarified instead of being left as vague as "concerted campaign."

For starters what's considered a concerted campaign?

How will it be determined that someone has violated that policy and how will it be enforced?

In the situation of an individual hiring a mercenary or mercenaries to attack another player (all in game) who would be culpable, the person hiring or the mercenaries?

Please clarify this policy instead of leaving some vague statement.

E: C&P Thread: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1418600#post1418600

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

THE L0CK
Denying You Access
#2 - 2012-06-05 17:27:27 UTC
It means don't go after the Wis.

Do you smell what the Lock's cooking?

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#3 - 2012-06-05 17:30:26 UTC
CCP Navigator wrote:
While death and destruction are certainly part of EVE game play it is worth reviewing this article.

Players should feel free to emgage in ganks, however, engaging in a concerted campaign on an individual may result in action being taken under grief play. Such actions taken would be at the discretion of Customer Support.

The Drake is a Lie

Azitek
Serenity Labs
#4 - 2012-06-05 17:31:35 UTC
The problem is, if they defined it, people would either:
a) go right up to the line
b) find loopholes, then kick and scream when they were punished.

I mean, try defining "morality", see how long it takes.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#5 - 2012-06-05 17:33:59 UTC
“Don't harass other players” is what it means.
Superpooper
SHITLORDS
#6 - 2012-06-05 17:34:11 UTC
Means roll the dice... no set rule...

Gank a guy over and over no
War dec then gank ya

Roll

Pretty much the "sandbox" has some hard poop in it you want to stay away from.

Rookie systems when you can not teach noobs fast about can flipping...

Killing one guy over and over...

etc etc.
Cutout Man
Doomheim
#7 - 2012-06-05 17:37:40 UTC
Azitek wrote:

so the better solution is to say nothing, allow the victim to be victimized, and the attacker to cross the invisible, unknowable line and be disciplined unnecessarily. If people go "right up to the line," that implies there IS a line and its ok to go right up to it. Hiding the line so people won't cross it is a ludicrous statement.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#8 - 2012-06-05 17:41:42 UTC
Cutout Man wrote:
Azitek wrote:

so the better solution is to say nothing, allow the victim to be victimized, and the attacker to cross the invisible, unknowable line and be disciplined unnecessarily. If people go "right up to the line," that implies there IS a line and its ok to go right up to it. Hiding the line so people won't cross it is a ludicrous statement.

Attacking a single player none stop no matter where they go is harrasment. The line is as clear as day.
Ban Bindy
Bindy Brothers Pottery Association
True Reign
#9 - 2012-06-05 17:48:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Ban Bindy
How much clearer do you want it to be? The statements are very direct. You want a 20-word definition of what a concerted campaign is? Sounds like you want more to argue with and a way to skirt the issue. Message is plain. Target one person for all your ganks and you risk action against you.
Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-06-05 17:48:13 UTC
Superpooper wrote:
Pretty much the "sandbox" has some hard poop in it you want to stay away from.

its your posts

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Daemon Ceed
Ice Fire Warriors
#11 - 2012-06-05 17:49:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Daemon Ceed
The ganks would have to go on for a very very long extended period of time for it to be considered "griefing". Now if the ganking can be justified as competitive (meaning he wants to either reduce your income/manipulate the market/make profit consistently off your loot) then it likely cannot be considered as greifing.

My advice to you, little padawan, is to be a little more self aware of your surroundings and location of your predators. Perhaps it would result in fewer instances of you getting your balls ganked off. I've had targets bore me to the point where it wasn't worth the effort anymore, so I moved to more lucrative, slothlike targets who barely have a pulse and 3 functioning braincells.

Don't think of us as evil gankers. Instead, see us as the fist of Darwin hellbent on cleansing the ignorant, stupid, and generally incompetent from the Eve gene pool.
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#12 - 2012-06-05 17:50:15 UTC
Cutout Man wrote:
Azitek wrote:

That's not the point.

Try defining the line and you will see the issue. As soon as you say "it is here" then someone will twist the wording to have it mean "5 metres south" then act in that way whilst claiming they were "right upto the line."

This is why these things are always done this way.

Try drawing the line for me and I will show you in my next post how I would circumvent your ruling.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Daemon Ceed
Ice Fire Warriors
#13 - 2012-06-05 17:52:25 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Cutout Man wrote:
Azitek wrote:

That's not the point.

Try defining the line and you will see the issue. As soon as you say "it is here" then someone will twist the wording to have it mean "5 metres south" then act in that way whilst claiming they were "right upto the line."

This is why these things are always done this way.

Try drawing the line for me and I will show you in my next post how I would circumvent your ruling.

In otherwords, the "line" is on a case by case basis.
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-06-05 18:03:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Abdiel Kavash
I always heard it explained as "assaulting another player to the point they can no longer play the game". As in, wardeccing every corp they join, following them across space wherever they go, camping them in every station, for an extended period of time.

Note "can no longer play the game" is different from "can no longer sit AFK in paper-thin ships", and "another player" is different from "an unspecified group of people only defined by their corp allegiation, habits, ships they fly, etc".
Sacaderu
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-06-05 20:10:20 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
I always heard it explained as "assaulting another player to the point they can no longer play the game". As in, wardeccing every corp they join, following them across space wherever they go, camping them in every station, for an extended period of time.

Note "can no longer play the game" is different from "can no longer sit AFK in paper-thin ships", and "another player" is different from "an unspecified group of people only defined by their corp allegiation, habits, ships they fly, etc".

That's not assaulting a player; that's assaulting a character. There is nothing to stop them from rolling up another alt on the same account and continuing to play.
Shilandra Kask
Kask Finantial Corporation
#16 - 2012-06-05 20:11:26 UTC
Eve Online: An open sandbox until someone arbitrarily decides that you've kicked over too many sand castles. Roll
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-06-05 20:11:49 UTC
Sacaderu wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:

That's not assaulting a player; that's assaulting a character. There is nothing to stop them from rolling up another alt on the same account and continuing to play.

CCP logic seldom acknowledges alts one way or another, but yes, I suppose what I meant was character.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#18 - 2012-06-05 20:14:06 UTC
Shilandra Kask wrote:
Eve Online: An open sandbox until someone arbitrarily decides that you've kicked over too many sand castles. Roll
Quite the opposite: an open sandbox until someone decides, according to the guidelines, that you've kicked over too few sandcastles and that maybe you should try to kick over those ones over there instead…
Sacaderu
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2012-06-05 20:16:10 UTC
I only bring it up because the distinction is very important to the magic circle. Supposedly CCP wants to promote ingame consequences for in game behavior. Corporations are supposed to use nasty unethical means to attack each other. As long as the hostility is between two characters in the context of the game it's not griefing. The problem arises when you try to provoke real life consequences. Threatening someones character in an eve mail should be fine, threatening a player directly through a phone call is not.
Ituhata Saken
Killboard Padding Services
#20 - 2012-06-05 20:20:13 UTC
It's probably reviewable on a case-by-case basis. Circumstances, frequency and any chatter etc would probably be reviewed to determine which side of the line it falls on. Just be thankful its not standard american harassment laws where harassment is pretty much defined by the victim. Smile

So close...

12Next page