These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Why do Men choose Female Avatars?

First post
Author
Spy 21
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-06-05 19:52:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Spy 21
To me it seems freakishly weird for a male to run around in a virtual universe with the identity of a hot looking woman...

Maybe it's just my upbringing in an older and now outdated world but it just seems to me like playing dress up on a Saturday night and trolling the seamier parts of town.

No offense to the irl TV community,,, carry on as you are in peace and love.

S

Obfuscation for the WIN on page 3...

Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#2 - 2012-06-05 19:54:26 UTC
My Jita alt is female, but thats only because of eye candy when trading.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Svarek
#3 - 2012-06-05 19:54:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Svarek
Very probably because females are easier on the eyes than most men.
Myself not included, of course.

If you had to look at a face for as long as you do while playing Eve, would it be one of those default bald guys with gigantic cheekbones and a dead stare or a partially decent looking woman (hopefully without cleavage in the picture) who the modelers probably spent way more time on anyway? (No, seriously, male avatars and clothing need more work. It seems unfairly balanced on the female side of things - I wonder why.)

I think it's a given that your character isn't you, but maybe not.

Whoops.

Ituhata Saken
Killboard Padding Services
#4 - 2012-06-05 19:55:41 UTC
I don't really know why I do it, but I've long since past the point of worrying about it. P It's easier to defend in fantasy MMO's, if I'm going to walk around pretending to be a 7'2" bipedal intelligent cow then it doesn't make much difference what my gender is.

To me its only a problem when one keeps up appearances in local, and then only when one reciveves a private message with an invite to a webcam.

So close...

Spineker
#5 - 2012-06-05 19:56:38 UTC
I never buy into the "eye candy" thing. It is some other reason surely, because none of these avatars are physically attractive unless you are messed up in the head or something. Being a chick is just silly to me.
Svarek
#6 - 2012-06-05 19:57:36 UTC
I'd say there's a different between "attractive" or "easy on the eyes" and "sexy," if that's what you mean.

Whoops.

Palovana
Inner Fire Inc.
#7 - 2012-06-05 19:58:28 UTC
I'm male and my alts are female. Kind of like a space-harem.
Aramatheia
Tiffany and Co.
#8 - 2012-06-05 19:59:07 UTC
the male avatars looked boring and didnt suit with me at all. yep im a guy and i play a chick avatar (2 actually my alts femme as well) but untill a game makes males look worth using and not lame as heck, i'll keep making femme avatars.
Haaranovor tenn
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2012-06-05 19:59:27 UTC
dealwithit.jpg
Roisin Saoirse
Doomheim
#10 - 2012-06-05 19:59:37 UTC
Well in most games, extra effort seems to have been put into the female models and artwork and the male counterparts look deformed or just plain ugly. I'm not really bothered what gender my characters are, I tend to make them according to a theme or personality and only decide whether they're male or female when I look at the options in the character creation screen.
Shandir
EVE University
Ivy League
#11 - 2012-06-05 19:59:50 UTC
Spineker wrote:
I never buy into the "eye candy" thing. It is some other reason surely, because none of these avatars are physically attractive unless you are messed up in the head or something. Being a chick is just silly to me.

You're just bad with the character creator.
Svarek
#12 - 2012-06-05 20:00:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Svarek
Besides, I doubt any of us are here (or I hope we aren't) to make cyber-sex-buddies, so the sex of the avatar shouldn't be that important. If you get to know the person to the point where it'd make a difference, you would know the difference, I should think.

Whoops.

Aiwha
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-06-05 20:01:29 UTC
Haaranovor tenn wrote:
dealwithit.jpg

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Davis Smeeth
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-06-05 20:01:38 UTC
Spy 21 wrote:

Maybe it's just my upbringing in an older and now outdated world but it just seems to me like playing dress up on a Saturday night and trolling the seamier parts of town.

S

Since you seem to claim some sort of expertise here pehaps you can enlighten us about "playing dress up" and "trolling." Of course, if that's all this is is trolling, your example is poorly selected.
Price Check Aisle3
#15 - 2012-06-05 20:01:42 UTC
Ituhata Saken wrote:
I don't really know why I do it, but I've long since past the point of worrying about it. P

This. I have a 50/50 gender split between both my accounts, with one "main" of each.
  • Karl Hobb IATS
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2012-06-05 20:01:47 UTC
Who wants to make out? Big smile

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Wilma Lawson
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2012-06-05 20:01:54 UTC
Role playing.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#18 - 2012-06-05 20:02:15 UTC
Because it bothers you… Twisted

…or, more likely, that if you absolutely have to stare at an avatar for hours on end, it's nicer if it's a female one.
BellaDonna Nyghtshade
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2012-06-05 20:03:04 UTC
I would bet several ISK that a fair many do it just to mess with folks like you.

Human nature being what it is, some buttons are all too easily pushed.

Just ask your local goon.

Blink
Elessa Enaka
Doomheim
#20 - 2012-06-05 20:03:11 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Because it bothers you… Twisted

…or, more likely, that if you absolutely have to stare at an avatar for hours on end, it's nicer if it's a female one.

^^this

plus, you'd be surprised how much free **** you get from gullible lonely nerds....

Devour to survive, so it is, so it's always been Eve is a great game if you can get past all of the asshats....

123Next pageLast page