These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Question: What one thing is really hurting EVE?

Author
Makkal Hanaya
Revenent Defence Corperation
#221 - 2012-06-05 19:25:06 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
Power projection. The fact that you can travel from one side of the galaxy to the other in 15 minutes is dumber than a box of ****. I could write an entire novel on how bad for the game this is.

Why do you see the speed of travel as being bad for the game?

Render unto Khanid the things which are Khanid's; and unto God the things that are God's.

Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#222 - 2012-06-05 19:26:34 UTC
Titans.

They mock us with their continued existence. Hone your skills with Hulkageddon, friends - Titangeddon will soon follow.

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Spy 21
Doomheim
#223 - 2012-06-05 19:33:18 UTC
Force projection mechanics and the resulting coalitions gobbling up and locking down huge portions of the star map.
This effectively closes a large portion of the Eve Universe to all but those in that said coalition.

Not aimed specifically at the current iteration of "Engulf and Devour".. they are just the latest.

it's not the players, it's the mechanic.

S

Obfuscation for the WIN on page 3...

bawdabilder
#224 - 2012-06-05 19:34:53 UTC
the thing what is hurting EVE is ccp screwing over drone regions!
Jame Jarl Retief
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#225 - 2012-06-05 19:35:00 UTC
Apolyon I wrote:
Jayrendo Karr wrote:
The inability for new players to compete with old players, this will result in a skillpoint gap too large to cope with.

for a 100m sp character, when he fly a shiprequire 5m sp to maximize its performance, is other 95m sp relevant??

only WoW players think that his 5m sp char cant compete with 100m sp char

I like the general idea behind your post, but I think your amounts are way off.

Take someone with 100 mil SP, and 5 mil SP. Both flying a measly T1 frigate.

For the character with 100 mil SP, his targeting skills (including speed, range, number of targets, etc.) will be vastly superior. His tank skills will be superior, especially if he has both tank and shield skills trained to max. Because even if he chooses armor tank, with all Vs to shields, his shields will still be a heck of a lot stronger with less damage bleedthrough that a 5 mil SP pilot with just armor tank skills. Then there's mobility, EWAR, T2 and faction ammo, etc. The pilot with 5 mil SP probably can't use +5 implants, not without Cybernetics V, a pilot with 100 mil probably can.

Bottom line, yes, theoretically the difference isn't all that big. It's just 2% here, 5% there. But when you add those 2% and 5%, spread over dozens of skills, it all adds up to a quite considerable total.

And this is all too easy to prove. Take a 1 mil SP pilot, and fight a 20 mil SP pilot (same ratio as your 5 mil to 100 mil). Frigate vs frigate, with identical fittings and no implants. Though this isn't fair to the 20 mil SP pilot, as he'll be able to fit T2 and use faction ammo and +5 implants while the 1 mil SP pilot cannot, plus the 20 mil SP pilot can manage a much tighter, superior fit that a 5 mil player cannot. But even so, I think you'll find the fight will be very lopsided.

Now give these pilots to two newbies, and have them fight with them. After each fight, have the newbies switch places and repeat. I can safely say that the 20 mil SP character will win considerably more often.
Ayeshah Volfield
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#226 - 2012-06-05 19:36:14 UTC
Concord.

EVE is what happens when the rule of law does not apply and Darwinism is allowed to run freely.

BearJews
Order of Extrodinary Gentlemen
#227 - 2012-06-05 19:37:22 UTC
Crappy forum community

Honestly, i can't help but think this place is where people congregate just to troll the crap outta each other.

Other than that, i think the eve universe is doing great!!
Yogsoloth
Fliet Pizza Delivery
Of Essence
#228 - 2012-06-05 19:38:26 UTC
The new inventory system ?
IGNATIUS HOOD
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#229 - 2012-06-05 19:39:52 UTC
Mongo Travler wrote:
The irrational level of animosity between high sec, low sec, and null sec players.

We all choose to find fun in this great game in our own ways. It doesn't mean my way is any better/worse than yours just different. I may fundamentally disagree with the goals of the CFC but that doesn't mean I think they should be banned or dismantled; likewise for the Heretic Army on the Amamake/Osoggur gate.

I love everyone.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."   --H.L. Mencken
Chief Bob
Swine Capitalism
#230 - 2012-06-05 21:37:26 UTC
The division between PvP and PvE.

Neither group directly needs the other to practice their preferred playstyles.

I makes sense to me that a large PvP corp should need a much larger industrial base.

If 0.0 alliances needed +/- 3 industrialists for every 1 PvPer it would change the entire dynamic of the game, give alliances a reason to induce industrialists to null and give industrialists a reason to go there.

PvPers might actually have a reason to shoot at somebody else other than for the lulz.
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#231 - 2012-06-05 21:51:14 UTC
No mechanics that promote frequent quality pvp for 1-7 players.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Captain' Jack Sparrow
#232 - 2012-06-05 21:52:09 UTC
CCP's lack of connection to the player base. They go around doing whatever they feel, without regard to what the players really want.

I understand this is THEIR GAME, but come on... Good business should involve a good connection with your customers.

A perfect example: The ridiculous new "feature" called the "Unified Inventory".

Enough said...

Bill Loney
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#233 - 2012-06-05 23:09:56 UTC
Saia Tae Arragosa wrote:
Question What one thing in your opinion is hurting EVE the most? .

Scaring off new players obviously
Selinate
#234 - 2012-06-05 23:12:10 UTC
This thread?

This thread.
Charles Case
State War Academy
Caldari State
#235 - 2012-06-05 23:28:53 UTC
Saia Tae Arragosa wrote:
Question What one thing in your opinion is hurting EVE the most? Is it a particular game mechanic? Is it the lack of something? Maybe you feel the new player experience needs revamped. Please feel free to discuss that one thing you feel is hurting EVE the most.

Whiny threads
Senarian Tyme
Serenity Rising LLC
Controlled Chaos
#236 - 2012-06-05 23:31:01 UTC
Captain' Jack Sparrow wrote:
CCP's lack of connection to the player base. They go around doing whatever they feel, without regard to what the players really want.

I understand this is THEIR GAME, but come on... Good business should involve a good connection with your customers.

A perfect example: The ridiculous new "feature" called the "Unified Inventory".

Enough said...

This.

CCP's development process is currently the greatest thing hurting EVE atm.
Caderidien
Perkone
Caldari State
#237 - 2012-06-05 23:34:10 UTC
CCP
killorbekilled TBE
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#238 - 2012-06-05 23:39:35 UTC
alliances being able to hold sov, should only be corps that can hold it

:)

Frying Doom
#239 - 2012-06-05 23:40:07 UTC
Mortimer Civeri wrote:
Self important jerkwads, who loudly proclaim that they know the one thing that will "save EVE".

This isn't the only problem EvE has but it is one very high on the list.

Just how unfriendly the game has gotten. Seems over the years we have lost the helpful people and the void has just been filled with jerks.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Spikeflach
Perkone
Caldari State
#240 - 2012-06-06 03:57:37 UTC
Paranoia