These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Is hiding the posts of all people of color immoral?

First post
Author
Rustling
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-06-05 19:05:19 UTC
Let's say that I can't stand people who are the color green and I think all of their posts are more likely than not a waste of time to read. I know that it's racist but racism isn't immoral in and of itself, it's what you do with that racism. So say whenever I saw a green person posting I pressed the hide button, is that in some way morally wrong?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2012-06-05 19:06:49 UTC
Why do you hate the poddington peas?
Whadafool
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-06-05 19:08:14 UTC
down at the bottom of the garden....

stuff

Ituhata Saken
Killboard Padding Services
#4 - 2012-06-05 19:11:23 UTC
I guess its not racist if no one knows that you're doing it. I wonder if that will work at the office. Whenever a blue person is trying to speak to me I'm going to look straight ahead and keep walking as if they didn't exist. Perhaps they'll think I'm just deaf.

So close...

Nostradamouse Riraille
S.M.U.G.G.L.E.
#5 - 2012-06-05 19:12:12 UTC
Well, I usually hide the posts of everyone that isn't me.

Makes roaming the forums soooo much easier
THE L0CK
Denying You Access
#6 - 2012-06-05 19:16:20 UTC
Hiding posts is the act of a coward

Do you smell what the Lock's cooking?

Smegma Cheesedog
Doomheim
#7 - 2012-06-05 19:18:12 UTC
wonderbread mods hide my **** all the time.. thats aight tho cause i be hittin up they moms.
Jta Grl
2 Pingeons Incorporated
#8 - 2012-06-05 19:20:04 UTC
Next on NeX store. Avatar masks.
sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-06-05 19:21:50 UTC
Down with Winmatards! Hit them with the nerf bat.Big smile
Jta Grl
2 Pingeons Incorporated
#10 - 2012-06-05 19:22:15 UTC
BTW how does a person without color looks?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#11 - 2012-06-05 19:28:20 UTC
Jta Grl wrote:

Transparent.
Jta Grl
2 Pingeons Incorporated
#12 - 2012-06-05 19:31:09 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Jta Grl wrote:

Transparent.

Geez, thanks. For a moment there I tought I wasn't a coloured person. Thank god I can see my skin.
BellaDonna Nyghtshade
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-06-05 19:35:47 UTC
Everyone is racist to one degree or another.

Anyone who says they aren't is a lying racist.

Once people accept that simple fact and acknowledge that it is, in fact, OK, they are better equipped to deal with their racism.

Racism DOES NOT EQUAL discrimination.

This is the salient point most people miss.

You can very well choose to insulate yourself from this or that other race; what you do to yourself is irrelevant.

Not listening DOES NOT EQUAL censorship.

Really basic principles that, for some reason, seem to be far beyond the reach of the so-called "intelligentsia".

And lastly, at the end of the day and in the final equation, you cannot legislate thoughts or morality as perceived in the individual mind.

A person's thoughts are their own, regardless of whatever Orwellian nightmare construct you could propose.

How they act towards others, specifically in the physical, is the real issue.
Jta Grl
2 Pingeons Incorporated
#14 - 2012-06-05 19:47:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Jta Grl
BellaDonna Nyghtshade wrote:
Everyone is racist to one degree or another.

Anyone who says they aren't is a lying racist.

Once people accept that simple fact and acknowledge that it is, in fact, OK, they are better equipped to deal with their racism.

Racism DOES NOT EQUAL discrimination.

This is the salient point most people miss.

You can very well choose to insulate yourself from this or that other race; what you do to yourself is irrelevant.

Not listening DOES NOT EQUAL censorship.

Really basic principles that, for some reason, seem to be far beyond the reach of the so-called "intelligentsia".

And lastly, at the end of the day and in the final equation, you cannot legislate thoughts or morality as perceived in the individual mind.

A person's thoughts are their own, regardless of whatever Orwellian nightmare construct you could propose.

How they act towards others, specifically in the physical, is the real issue.

I'm not sure if that answer was for me. I will write something for whoever wants to read it though.
Ignoring someone because of its skin color is the most plain example of racial discrimination. Check "discrimination" on your nearest friend of all toughts dictionary.
We live in society. Unless you are living in a race based social organization (wich I dont believe is the case, unless you're in a new founded nazi country) you can't just ignore people because of their race.
But yes, EVE is a game, you can ignore a green avatar... the game will go on.

EDIT: n.a.z.i was censored, maybe nazist? its not a offense, it was real
BellaDonna Nyghtshade
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2012-06-05 19:59:24 UTC
Jta Grl wrote:

Ignoring someone because of its skin color is the most plain example of racial discrimination.

Wrong.

When you ignore someone, you are performing an action on yourself, not the other person.

What you are suggesting would be the same as if I insisted, for instance, that you be subjected to 24/7 live feeds from, say, Fox networks ( assuming you are an MSNBC or other fan ) and decry you for discrimination should you protest or not comply.

Stop confusing internal actions with external actions.

dethleffs
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#16 - 2012-06-05 20:07:30 UTC
so you want to block all your corp mates?
Lykouleon
Noble Sentiments
Second Empire.
#17 - 2012-06-05 20:10:32 UTC
Rustling wrote:
Let's say that I can't stand people who are the color green

I don't think Minigin posts anymore.

Lykouleon > CYNO ME CLOSER so I can hit them with my sword

Jta Grl
2 Pingeons Incorporated
#18 - 2012-06-05 20:12:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Jta Grl
BellaDonna Nyghtshade wrote:
Jta Grl wrote:

Ignoring someone because of its skin color is the most plain example of racial discrimination.

Wrong.

When you ignore someone, you are performing an action on yourself, not the other person.

What you are suggesting would be the same as if I insisted, for instance, that you be subjected to 24/7 live feeds from, say, Fox networks ( assuming you are an MSNBC or other fan ) and decry you for discrimination should you protest or not comply.

Stop confusing internal actions with external actions.

Yeah, people are just like TV channels, all output, no input.
You just switch to the next one if you're bored and no one gets hurt. Also, there's plenty of them, so who cares.

Fox, MSNBC, I have no idea what are you talking about. I'm not american, and I don't like TV.
So are you from Texas or the East Coast?
BellaDonna Nyghtshade
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2012-06-05 20:24:37 UTC
Jta Grl wrote:

Yeah, people are just like TV channels, all output, no input.
You just switch to the next one if you're bored and no one gets hurt. Also, there's plenty of them, so who cares.

Fox, MSNBC, I have no idea what are you talking about. I'm not american, and I don't like TV.
So are you from Texas or the East Coast?

I'll see your sarcasm and raise you some truth.

Your tongue-in-cheek statement is, in fact, accurate.

To assume otherwise is to assert that I have some obligation to provide "input" to another against my will.

As far as who "gets hurt" by being ignored, that is absolutely hilarious irony considering the game to which this forum belongs, where the very term HTFU is mantra.

Far too many thin skinned people with entitlement complexes running about these days.

As for the rest of the post, sorry the analogy was lost on you. Pearls before swine and all that..

I am an American. Points of origin within the states are usually just cannon fodder for those who would stereotype, and as such I'll refrain from feeding the dragon.
Rustling
Doomheim
#20 - 2012-06-05 20:35:03 UTC
Jta Grl wrote:
you can't just ignore people because of their race.

Orly? So who is in control of my attention? You and your 'group'?
12Next page