These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Would you still pay to play?

Author
Lexmana
#61 - 2012-06-04 12:23:57 UTC
Holy One wrote:
No. Eve isn't worth real money.

And yet you spend so much time in EVE. Isn't that sad?
I think it is well worth the cost of a decent imperial stout (or two Guinness) each month.
Gerald Taric
NEO DYNAMICS
#62 - 2012-06-04 12:54:27 UTC
sweetrock wrote:
In all honesty, if CCP removed plex from the game, would you still play?
yes.
Sable Moran
Moran Light Industries
#63 - 2012-06-04 13:36:44 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
I've never used a PLEX to pay for subscription.

Ditto. 15 Euros a month makes for a damn cheap hobby.

Sable's Ammo Shop at Alentene V - Moon 4 - Duvolle Labs Factory. Hybrid charges, Projectile ammo, Missiles, Drones, Ships, Need'em? We have'em, at affordable prices. Pop in at our Ammo Shop in sunny Alentene.

Bloutok
Perkone
Caldari State
#64 - 2012-06-04 13:56:24 UTC
I paid for 1 account for 6 months, made enough isk to buy a plex and a second, third ....... Lot's.

Would i pay today for this game, no.
Covert Kitty
SRS Industries
#65 - 2012-06-04 15:21:21 UTC
I've got enough isk to pay for all my accounts for like 5 years... But yes, if it was removed I would pay for at least 2 of them.
MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#66 - 2012-06-04 15:55:22 UTC
I stopped using PLEX because it became a job to play rather than having fun. I used to have four accounts but I am down to one (many reasons). If PLEX were to die off it wouldn't change my life, I would still pay to play.

I get Hulkageddon (and I mine), I understand the drone nerf (I mission and had just finished scrapmetal reproc when it hit), I understand the loot nerf (again I mission), I understand the tax increase (sink), I understand the incrusion nerf (never did them). However, I'll be leaving for a while soon until CCP gets past this current mess they have made with the Unified Inventory 'Window'.

I could pay in PLEX with my liquid assets for a month or two, but a PLEX is still supporting the game with funds. The only difference is that you are working to get the isk to pay someone else to use their money.

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Mme Pinkerton
#67 - 2012-06-04 16:11:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Mme Pinkerton
I currently have four active accounts that are all paid with PLEX - if PLEX/GTC trading was abolished I would close at least two of these (maybe three).

The real-life income vs ISK income comparisons depend on one crucial assumption - that you can work an extra hour in real life (and get paid for it) whenever you like.

In my experience that assumption is only true for a subset of employment models (excludes any salaried positions) and even then often only in a limited fashion (you can't work unlimited amounts of overtime - at some point either the work runs out or you violate labor laws/regulations).

I'm a student who currently doesn't hold a job - the minimum employment I could realistically find would be 6-8h/week. Way too much just to fund a few EVE accounts - why put in the time to earn ~250€/month, when i'd only need 60?,
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#68 - 2012-06-04 16:22:15 UTC
sweetrock wrote:
In all honesty, if CCP removed plex from the game, would you still play?

Could you find it in your heart to pay £9.99 no wait sorry 14.99e no wait i swear that e-mail said £9.99 who knows, ccp arnt sure....... Would you still play if you had to pay?

i pay for the game just to not bother with ISKies.... play to pay - is not my way of game....

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Molly Huren
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#69 - 2012-06-04 16:33:59 UTC
Paid before plex, would continue to do so if it was removed.
Doc Severide
Doomheim
#70 - 2012-06-04 17:02:09 UTC
I have always paid cash for 5 accounts and I pay once a year to get the discount. So I still put out $600 bucks every spring. I do it because I damn well want to. And I keep my ISK for shiny stuffs...
Barbara Nichole
Cryogenic Consultancy
#71 - 2012-06-04 17:04:39 UTC
Cloned S0ul wrote:
Rajan Marelona wrote:
If you make 1$/hour working in RL, you should pay cash if you make under 25 mil ISK/hour, buy PLEX with ISK if you make more.
If you make 7$/hour working in RL, you should pay cash if you make under 180 mil ISK/hour, buy PLEX with ISK if you make more.
If you make 15$/hour working in RL, you should pay cash if you make under 385 mil ISK/hour, buy PLEX with ISK if you make more.
If you make 30$/hour working in RL, you should pay cash if you make under 770 mil ISK/hour, buy PLEX with ISK if you make more.

I like your idea, payment depend idividual countrys economy conditions, but life is brutal, no marer where you living and how much you earn you always pay same amount of money like other.

so when all of our governments fail and currency is destroyed by the likes of George Soros we all play for free...?

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Khadann
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#72 - 2012-06-04 17:15:51 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
I've never used a PLEX to pay for subscription.

I usually pay for 1 year subscription with a Credit Card, it's the best deal of all and I don't have to worry about my subscription each month.

DMC

I hesitate to do the same, affraid to stop playing after the 8 first months :s
George Whitebread
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#73 - 2012-06-04 17:27:40 UTC  |  Edited by: George Whitebread
Bluddwolf wrote:

I wish CCP would give us more subscription options. I would be happy to pay $20.00 per month to have the option to train two of my three characters.

I agree. Why not just increase the monthly fee to be able to train double the amount of characters? I'd rather have one account with two trainable characters than two accounts with one trainable character on each.

And no, I don't have multiple monitors so I can play with all my main characters at once...

"I say what I like, and I like what I bloody well say" - George Whitebread

Metal Icarus
Wraithguard.
The Wraithguard.
#74 - 2012-06-04 17:55:42 UTC
Why would you force yourself to grind up 500 million isk per character every month? its free? No it is not. Take the time you would need to grind up that much isk, then take the time you would need to work to earn enough money to pay for the account.

I make more than enough in one hour to pay for one month suscription. It would take me much longer to earn 500 million isk in game. Thus, I use all my isk to buy ships and stuff and pay for the game using my job.

To me, that is more efficient and I spend much less time ratting. All I have to fund is my PVP and sometimes a nice mod for faster ratting.

I find that a billion can easily last 3 to 4 months.
Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#75 - 2012-06-04 18:45:06 UTC
I don't use plex, I have used it once or twice to re-activate an account, but the monthly subs are paid with CC.

So, yes, I would continue to play if plex wasn't in game.

I mostly pay by CC because then I do not feel I have to get 500m isk per account, per month, so if I want to train up a new char on an account and be inactive on the other, then I don't have the hassle of having to get 500m from a new char in a month.
Makkal Hanaya
Revenent Defence Corperation
#76 - 2012-06-04 18:55:53 UTC
I have one account and pay for it with money already.

Render unto Khanid the things which are Khanid's; and unto God the things that are God's.

Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#77 - 2012-06-04 18:56:17 UTC
Yep, I don't use plex today as it stands.
Skorpynekomimi
#78 - 2012-06-04 19:00:14 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Len Ross wrote:
No. I can't, so wouldn't. I'm unemployed now. 9.99 a month is a small fortune to me. I've more time than money right now.

Spend a whole lot more time actively seeking employment.

Unless you're a felon or something, it doesn't take all that long.

In my country we have 35% unemployment for young, > 10% for the rest.
Who is over 30 and does not know some very good politician to corrupt, will never, never, NEVER find a job.

The "welfare state jobs" are only available past 55, so those between 30 and 55 are basically as good as dead.
There's a (usually 240 days) long unemployment subsidy but then you are on your own and also lose rights to pension.

So yes, it can take all that long.

What saved me is that I learned trading in EvE.

This let me learn trading in RL.

With RL trading earnings I can self employ AND pay PLEX.

So, EvE => PLEX => RL => PLEX => EvE P

Clever. I'm applying RL-earned knowledge to be better at EVE thanks to a ****** employment system myself, so you get a thumbs-up for figuring how to make money off your spaceships habit.
(One of my first jobs was selling things on the street, so hawking random crap in EVE comes naturally.)

I'm subbed for both my accounts, but my long-term plan for them involves buying plex on the market to put off actually paying for that indefinitely.
It's working out, so far, but the subscriptions remove the grind pressure.

Economic PVP