These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

New Tempest concept, for the funsies!

Author
Yerik Locke
Silver.
#1 - 2012-06-02 13:44:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Yerik Locke
I tried to preserve as much as the rust as possible, but I wanted it to be able to handle a good egging. Those damned teenagers, I tell ye'.

Anyway, I felt like I wanted to pick a ship to redesign, and here's what came out. I'm really interested in design philosophy [of all the races, actually. And of non-Eve things as well,] and trying to preserve the "feel" of a certain aesthetic, whilst creating something new with it, or recreating something old. It's basically what I do all the time anyway, so the fact that it interests me here isn't too surprising.

So, have a look-see! I'm heading right to bed after this, but comments/criticisms are welcome, obviously. Thanks :)

http://imgur.com/c1m1W
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#2 - 2012-06-02 14:20:42 UTC
Looks more like a mael body with pest fins. To put it bluntly, if I may, it looks less like a temptest and more like a whole different ship. Don't mean to bash, it's just my "honest" honest opinion.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Solhild
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-06-02 15:24:34 UTC
Love it Cool
Solhild
Doomheim
#4 - 2012-06-02 15:26:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Solhild
Sobaan Tali wrote:
Looks more like a mael body with pest fins. To put it bluntly, if I may, it looks less like a temptest and more like a whole different ship. Don't mean to bash, it's just my "honest" honest opinion.

In that case, it's a better Maelstrom than the current Mael Shocked

EDIT: if the T2 variants get a substantially different model then the Vargur could look more like this. The basic Tempest still needs an update beyond t3 alone.
Haldor Rune
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-06-02 15:26:40 UTC
My only comment on Minmatar aesthetics is I like the sail-fin-things.
Kratisto
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-06-02 15:49:57 UTC
I like the direction. I feel the Tempest is supposed to be more agile than a Mael, however, and therefore needs to be slimmed down a bit.
Oberine Noriepa
#7 - 2012-06-02 15:54:47 UTC
I like it. The Tempest is a pretty terrible looking ship, so any redesign would be an improvement, I think.

Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#8 - 2012-06-02 15:56:17 UTC
Solhild wrote:

In that case, it's a better Maelstrom than the current Mael Shocked

The current mael looks a whole lot better than that, no offense. It's nicer than the tempest though.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#9 - 2012-06-02 16:02:03 UTC
looks great. Minmatar style and sifi at once.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Roisin Saoirse
Doomheim
#10 - 2012-06-02 16:02:34 UTC
Yerik Locke wrote:
So, have a look-see! I'm heading right to bed after this, but comments/criticisms are welcome, obviously. Thanks :)

Wow, I really like this. It actually looks like it won't fall apart at the first volley, and it still maintains the wingy bits.

It does kind of remind me a little too much of the Mael though, the Tempest (imho) should be more T-shaped with a vertical section - it's kind of a classic profile like the Raven and Megathron. Great pic though. Smile
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-06-02 16:11:55 UTC
Nice. Looks solid plus extra wingy bits to taste... Yum.
TheBreadMuncher
Protus Correction Facility Inc.
#12 - 2012-06-02 16:19:10 UTC
Niiiiiiice

"We will create the introduction thread if that is requested by the community. Also, we will have an ISD Seminar about the CCL team in the coming weeks in which you can ask your questions about the CCL team and provide some constructive feedback to us." - Countless pages of locked threads and numerous permabanned accounts later, change is coming.

Johnny Rook
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#13 - 2012-06-02 16:20:45 UTC
Think the tempest could do with an overhaul but I prefer this
Lucy Ferrr
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-06-02 16:44:16 UTC
Haldor Rune wrote:
My only comment on Minmatar aesthetics is I like the sail-fin-things.

Really, that's my biggest sticking point with them. I hate them, I thought there were solar panels for awhile, apparently they are heat deflection panels. Either way they look stupid and look like the first hit that shield doesn't stop would take them off.
Roisin Saoirse
Doomheim
#15 - 2012-06-02 16:45:40 UTC
Lucy Ferrr wrote:
Really, that's my biggest sticking point with them. I hate them, I thought there were solar panels for awhile, apparently they are heat deflection panels. Either way they look stupid and look like the first hit that shield doesn't stop would take them off.

Maybe once the new effects are in place, that will happen. Shocked
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#16 - 2012-06-02 16:48:13 UTC
I like this one much better http://axian.deviantart.com/gallery/#/dyhsre

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Yerik Locke
Silver.
#17 - 2012-06-02 17:13:48 UTC
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I will acknowledge that it's inspired by the Maelstrom [obviously.] I think the main difference, if you were to see it in three dimensions, is that it wouldn't have a wide center "torso," but a slim one.

Also, I do like the other suggested design in general, but it's too clean for my taste. It looks a bit like a toy or something, rather than a refined warship. And it doesn't look big enough, though I know it's just a concept. I suppose with this one, I was trying to stray in the other direction, and weigh the two against each other.

Still don't know where I stand. :D
Roisin Saoirse
Doomheim
#18 - 2012-06-02 17:27:36 UTC
Nova Fox wrote:

I've always thought that looked a bit too Gallentean and futuristic for the Minmatar. Too 'clean' like the new Reaper model. For me, part of the beauty of Minmatar ships is that they look like they've been patched together from old mission loot drops, like they're constantly in a state of running repairs.

I also like the idea that the wingy bits are solar panels that supplement the ship's leaking and poorly maintained power core, a requirement due to the crew often being comprised of a rag-tag mix of underskilled ruffians/militants/gangers/ex-slaves with little or no formal technical education. But maybe I'm just overthinking that a bit. Lol
Solhild
Doomheim
#19 - 2012-06-02 18:36:11 UTC
Roisin Saoirse wrote:
Nova Fox wrote:

I've always thought that looked a bit too Gallentean and futuristic for the Minmatar. Too 'clean' like the new Reaper model. For me, part of the beauty of Minmatar ships is that they look like they've been patched together from old mission loot drops, like they're constantly in a state of running repairs.

I also like the idea that the wingy bits are solar panels that supplement the ship's leaking and poorly maintained power core, a requirement due to the crew often being comprised of a rag-tag mix of underskilled ruffians/militants/gangers/ex-slaves with little or no formal technical education. But maybe I'm just overthinking that a bit. Lol

I like the idea that the wings bits are related to warp technology and serve a complex and mysterious function Cool
Degren
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-06-02 18:41:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Degren
I was under the impression the fins acted as direction finding/sensors. That would match up with their old-school technology. (IE: Thats how current comm sensors work)

Edit: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3277/hurricaner.png

Hello, hello again.

12Next page