These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why the hate for Hi-Sec players?

Author
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#181 - 2012-05-31 18:16:06 UTC
Haulie Berry wrote:
Alternatively, the old adage with the two campers and the bear applies. You don't have to outrun the bear - you just have to outrun the other camper.

I don't really "do" Hulkageddon. I have occasionally ganked a hulk in high sec here and there, mostly for funsies. I am largely a solo player, though, so what I typically do is scout potential targets with a passive targeter and a ship scanner, then go after only the hulks I'm sure I can break alone.

The dude with the tank fit? He gets left alone, because one system over there's a guy sitting in a belt with a full rack of mining laser upgrades and not a mid-slot module in sight.

So at least in the case of the solo-ganker, you don't really have to tank the ganker - you just have to outtank the other Hulks. :D

ROFL, very nice.

i've never suicide ganked (or mined for that matter), but I can see why lots of people like doing it. I am more impressed by the people who gank mission runners in pimp fit ships (a while back I noticed killmails on eve-kill by a guy killing tengus with an arty apoc or something, that was so cool lol).

I mainly intersested in this issue (and high sec issues in general) because i've always been fascinated by how people try to justify their unjustifiable actions and posistions in the face of obvious facts to the contrary. The shear amount of logical fallacies coming from that last guy you were arguing with (the "I shouldn't have to do that" guy) was beyond entertaining lol.

It's obvious that the high sec people whinning on the forums are slef interested people who want to have their cake (play eve and interact with other players via selling minerals or shooting npcs for bounties) and eat it too (play in perfect safety without risk of loss). I've just never seen a single one of them admit it.
loki energon
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#182 - 2012-05-31 18:19:05 UTC
Ticarus Hellbrandt wrote:
Eve is a pvp game, it doesnt do the economy any good having half the population sitting about running missions and never being blown up in years of playing.

really? ive never seen that ANYWHERE. real sandbox games have places where dumba**es get killed for being stupid, and places where a**holes get smacked down for for being a**holes.. this is true in eve as well, no need for everything to be PVP.

kill em all.

Andoria Thara
Fallen Avatars
#183 - 2012-05-31 18:19:19 UTC
Haulie Berry wrote:

Mission runners don't get ganked? Tell that to Solarius.

highsec mission runners? I'd say the percentage is fairly low if they do.
Talon SilverHawk
Patria o Muerte
#184 - 2012-05-31 18:20:11 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Haulie Berry wrote:
Alternatively, the old adage with the two campers and the bear applies. You don't have to outrun the bear - you just have to outrun the other camper.

I don't really "do" Hulkageddon. I have occasionally ganked a hulk in high sec here and there, mostly for funsies. I am largely a solo player, though, so what I typically do is scout potential targets with a passive targeter and a ship scanner, then go after only the hulks I'm sure I can break alone.

The dude with the tank fit? He gets left alone, because one system over there's a guy sitting in a belt with a full rack of mining laser upgrades and not a mid-slot module in sight.

So at least in the case of the solo-ganker, you don't really have to tank the ganker - you just have to outtank the other Hulks. :D

It's obvious that the high sec people whinning on the forums are slef interested people who want to have their cake (play eve and interact with other players via selling minerals or shooting npcs for bounties) and eat it too (play in perfect safety without risk of loss). I've just never seen a single one of them admit it.

No its not obvious

Tal

Ammit Thoth
Inverted Myth Industries
#185 - 2012-05-31 18:20:20 UTC
6 years of this same argument is getting rather old tbh

Most of the people whining about this won't even be here in 2 years regardless of hulkageddon, high sec ganking, etc...

So, by all means continue to QQ like so many before you, for changes that time and time again CCP has stated they will not make.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#186 - 2012-05-31 18:21:59 UTC
Its not that we hate high sec players, its just that they make it so easy for us.
Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#187 - 2012-05-31 18:28:28 UTC
Andoria Thara wrote:
Haulie Berry wrote:

Mission runners don't get ganked? Tell that to Solarius.

highsec mission runners? I'd say the percentage is fairly low if they do.

Pretty easy kills, actually, since you always know exactly where the resist hole is. All you have to do is deal enough damage to break their tank and let the rats do the rest. Used to be an issue more than hullk ganking was.

Never as widespread as hulk ganking, but mission runners were never as obnoxious about wanting to be left alone either.

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

Andoria Thara
Fallen Avatars
#188 - 2012-05-31 18:38:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Andoria Thara
Tallian Saotome wrote:

Never as widespread as hulk ganking, but mission runners were never as obnoxious about wanting to be left alone either.

Thank you.

I'd rather hear that then all of these holier than though speeches about how players need to come together to squash the common enemy who threatens to ruin eve forever and blah blah yadda yadda.

Gankers gonna gank, who cares what your excuse is to help you sleep better at night, just do it.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#189 - 2012-05-31 18:40:24 UTC
Andoria Thara wrote:
Tallian Saotome wrote:

Thank you.

I'd rather hear that then all of these holier than though speeches about how players need to come together to squash the common enemy who threatens to ruin eve forever and blah blah yadda yadda.

Gankers gonna gank, who cares what your excuse is to help you sleep better at night, just do it.

Mission tengu can be alpha'd upon undocking if they dont turn on their hardenersBlink
Bunnie Hop
Bunny Knights
#190 - 2012-05-31 18:44:03 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Andoria Thara wrote:
Tallian Saotome wrote:

Thank you.

Mission tengu can be alpha'd upon undocking if they dont turn on their hardenersBlink

Which is why I sold my mission Tengu and trained up the Nighthawk, not as much dps but pretty nice tank against gankers.
Shea Valerien
House of Valerien
#191 - 2012-05-31 18:49:04 UTC
Vaju Enki wrote:
Because most of them want to change EvE Online into a Theme Park MMO.

Um. No, they don't. I live in hi-sec and have zero interest into turning it into a Theme Park MMO. Most of the folks I engage with have zero interest in turning it into a Theme Park MMO. I came here specifically to get away from Theme Park MMOs (blech). So here's one hi-sec'er who will be fighting tooth and nail to keep Eve dangerous.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#192 - 2012-05-31 18:50:15 UTC
People who cannot adapt have a hatred of those who can.

Highsec dwellers have adapted to the kill-everything-that-moves tendencies of lowsec and nullsec by not going there. There is also the "life" of low and null to consider hence that is also a measure of adaptation by not joining their corporations.

Note that highsec dweller and carebear are not the same thing. There are a lot of players who base out of high sec and make forays into low and null for small fleet engagement and one-on-one, and there are also a lot of highsec mercenary groups handling war declarations and such related matters.

To couch the subject as "highsec = carebear" is incorrect, and out into deep null beyond the Great Wall of Carebear (bubble camps and gank pipelines) there are carebears who get their panties in a very impressive wad when a "non-blue" arrives in their system and forces them (or their bots) to dock up without even so much as a peep on their intel channels.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Andoria Thara
Fallen Avatars
#193 - 2012-05-31 18:59:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Andoria Thara
meh, it's all just propaganda 101, demonizing the enemy/competition.

I'm pretty sure some of the head honchos in the major alliances have read up on psychological warfare tactics as well. No doubt that would come in handy when dealing with so many players.

Eventually, the enemy will just quit logging in, because they're not having fun anymore. That's the whole point.
Tallian Saotome
#194 - 2012-05-31 19:07:06 UTC
Andoria Thara wrote:
Eventually, the enemy will just quit logging in, because they're not having fun anymore. That's the whole point.

Thats how GSF wins wars without winning fights Pirate

Khari Amoensis
filcaii sus paharu
#195 - 2012-05-31 19:30:22 UTC
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Because this is a PVP game, and most of the current crop of highseccers think they should be safe.

I was under the assumption EVE was a sandbox - as in do as you want while others do as they want. I don't mind hi-sec not being safe. It definitely wasn't when I started and I never expected it to be.

Had my share of trouble, rode the wave and c'est la vie. No problem with that especially since I got podded in my first 2 months of playing EVE.

But from sandbox game to PVP game, that's a rather long way to go. I'm fine with EVE being a PVP-centric game. But the point of EVE is that everybody can do something that would fit his/her play-style without something specific being enforced to anybody.

Andoria Thara
Fallen Avatars
#196 - 2012-05-31 19:35:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Andoria Thara
Khari Amoensis wrote:

But from sandbox game to PVP game, that's a rather long way to go. I'm fine with EVE being a PVP-centric game. But the point of EVE is that everybody can do something that would fit his/her play-style without something specific being enforced to anybody.

Good point. If this was just a "PVP game", we wouln't have PVE missions at all.

Unless CCP plans on completely removing PvE in the future.
Haulie Berry
#197 - 2012-05-31 19:36:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Haulie Berry
Khari Amoensis wrote:
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Because this is a PVP game, and most of the current crop of highseccers think they should be safe.

I was under the assumption EVE was a sandbox - as in do as you want while others do as they want.

You CAN do what you want while others do what they want. Sometimes what others want is to shoot you in the face while you're doing what you want.

Quote:

What you're describing is more of a "walled garden" than a sandbox. The nature of a sandbox is that the game mechanics allow you to do what you want - that doesn't extend to the other players in the sandbox. They're another matter entirely.
Tallian Saotome
#198 - 2012-05-31 19:37:24 UTC
Khari Amoensis wrote:
Tallian Saotome wrote:

I was under the assumption EVE was a sandbox - as in do as you want while others do as they want. I don't mind hi-sec not being safe. It definitely wasn't when I started and I never expected it to be.

Had my share of trouble, rode the wave and c'est la vie. No problem with that especially since I got podded in my first 2 months of playing EVE.

Specifically, its a PVP sandbox.

Everything you do can be seen as a form of pvp, and that was a design principle behind the game(as stated in old interviews and such). The ONLY exception I can see is missions, and I saw it pointed out that missions make war on everyone else in the form of devaluing our money by creating more.

I am not telling you that you have to change your habits, but you have to accept that everything you do in EVE is a form of PVP if you want to not become hopelessly embittered by this game.

Andoria Thara
Fallen Avatars
#199 - 2012-05-31 19:41:04 UTC
Tallian Saotome wrote:

I am not telling you that you have to change your habits, but you have to accept that everything you do in EVE is a form of PVP if you want to not become hopelessly embittered by this game.

Everything and anything can be considered PvP. Even buying flowers for your girl from the local market, the local market stole the business of the regional florist.

People even PvP over attention of the opposite sex, happens all the time.

It's a cut-throat world out there, and eve does a pretty good job at mimicking it.
Tallian Saotome
#200 - 2012-05-31 19:44:47 UTC
Andoria Thara wrote:
Tallian Saotome wrote:

Everything and anything can be considered PvP. Even buying flowers for your girl from the local market, the local market stole the business of the regional florist.

People even PvP over attention of the opposite sex, happens all the time.

It's a cut-throat world out there, and eve does a pretty good job at mimicking it.

This is why EVE is great, but in the mainstream MMOs, there ARE things you can do that are not in any way PVP.

Unless you consider progression guilds driving power creep as PVP, anyway.