These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

The Future of PVE

Author
The Antiquarian
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#61 - 2012-05-29 13:20:09 UTC
Story driven PVE missions please.
Sir John Halsey
#62 - 2012-05-29 14:01:23 UTC
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
Why do you think websites like EVE-Survival exist? Because people for the most part don't want to spend hours and hours everyday being forced to guess their way through ****** missions to earn the ISK to buy the ships and ammo so that they can go kill real people. They want it over and done with as quickly as possible so that they can enjoy the real fun of the game. The sooner people realise that, the better.


Those sites exists because some people are lazy bastards and they just want the final prize.

Why making PvE harder, better, bigger?
Because like some people only want PvP and hate missions ... other people would like having challenging day(s) long missions taking them all over the universe, running small smart quests, shooting stuff, exploring and so on.

But some are so blinded by their game that other people game shouldn't exists at all.
Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#63 - 2012-05-29 14:13:34 UTC
Neftaran wrote:
The PvE aspect of this game is utterly horrible.



Yes, it really is.

The industry/market part of eve is completely awesome though, so it's entirely possible to derive a great game experience without joining any nullsec alliances.

Yet, many would see this part of eve destroyed because they think it's boring, all the while expecting those of us that do not play their game to worship their gaming style.

If it was me, I'd shoot for improving ALL aspects of the game, to preserve the existing community and build on it.
Kiteo Hatto
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#64 - 2012-05-29 14:27:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Kiteo Hatto
Nice post OP, i agree. PVP-ers need to realize that even though eve is a pvp-oriented game there are all sorts of people in the world who like different things.

I don't like "pointless" pvp aka looking for randomers to kill and then troll them in local about how "lolfit" their fit is or how "terribad" they are and how they should go play "hello kitty".

(@PVPers) You are playing this game for adrenaline rush that comes with pvp
Others are playing this game because:
1. It has pretty graphics and spaceships
2. You like the concept of "sandbox", no limit to what you can do(see my point later)
3. You like the feel of your character progressing(flying bigger ships, using better weapons, getting richer, having more SP)
4. People might not have time to grind(like other mmos) so they just log, change skills, log off and get on with their busy life while they are still "investing" something in this game.
5. There isn't a similar game


Now, about point number 2, thats the whole concept of sandbox, you are not limited to just pvp if you don't like it. Sure people will try and ruin your day but thats their choice(way of having fun) and how you deal with it is up to YOU.


In the end, nobody should tell others how to play something that they enjoy playing their own way, especially in a sandbox game that is eve.


Know why I play this ? For chat and relaxation at the end of the day(some chilled beer, good music and shooting npcs helps me relax at the end of the day)
If i wanted a crazy, competitive, fast action then i would probably play a first person shooter or go pvp.
Bunnie Hop
Bunny Knights
#65 - 2012-05-29 14:41:17 UTC
Kiteo Hatto wrote:
Nice post OP, i agree. PVP-ers need to realize that even though eve is a pvp-oriented game there are all sorts of people in the world who like different things.

I don't like "pointless" pvp aka looking for randomers to kill and then troll them in local about how "lolfit" their fit is or how "terribad" they are and how they should go play "hello kitty".

(@PVPers) You are playing this game for adrenaline rush that comes with pvp
Others are playing this game because:
1. It has pretty graphics and spaceships
2. You like the concept of "sandbox", no limit to what you can do(see my point later)
3. You like the feel of your character progressing(flying bigger ships, using better weapons, getting richer, having more SP)
4. People might not have time to grind(like other mmos) so they just log, change skills, log off and get on with their busy life while they are still "investing" something in this game.
5. There isn't a similar game


Now, about point number 2, thats the whole concept of sandbox, you are not limited to just pvp if you don't like it. Sure people will try and ruin your day but thats their choice(way of having fun) and how you deal with it is up to YOU.


In the end, nobody should tell others how to play something that they enjoy playing their own way, especially in a sandbox game that is eve.


Know why I play this ? For chat and relaxation at the end of the day(some chilled beer, good music and shooting npcs helps me relax at the end of the day)
If i wanted a crazy, competitive, fast action then i would probably play a first person shooter or go pvp.


Your avatar is sexy Big smile
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#66 - 2012-05-29 14:43:17 UTC
Ana Vyr wrote:
If it was me, I'd shoot for improving ALL aspects of the game, to preserve the existing community and build on it.

Yep, there's no sort of issue getting more and more coding done.

No real scarcity of manpower there ...

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Bunnie Hop
Bunny Knights
#67 - 2012-05-29 14:44:50 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Ana Vyr wrote:
If it was me, I'd shoot for improving ALL aspects of the game, to preserve the existing community and build on it.

Yep, there's no sort of issue getting more and more coding done.

No real scarcity of manpower there ...


Well if they continue to cator only to the goon mentality they will have even less manpower in the future.
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#68 - 2012-05-29 14:46:15 UTC
Bunnie Hop wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Ana Vyr wrote:
If it was me, I'd shoot for improving ALL aspects of the game, to preserve the existing community and build on it.

Yep, there's no sort of issue getting more and more coding done.

No real scarcity of manpower there ...


Well if they continue to cator only to the goon mentality they will have even less manpower in the future.

Oh ho!

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Kyshonuba
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#69 - 2012-05-29 17:21:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyshonuba
Darth Tickles wrote:
Oberine Noriepa wrote:
.......(PvE content) could encourage more people to play together and possibly against each other, which is what EVE is and always should be about. There's a lot of potential to flesh out the backstory here with a system like that. .........


Yup. You should graduate from the learning process right into cooperative/competitive pve with varying degrees of risk and reward, allowing you to get a feel for the larger game while still in hisec. Then it's a natural transition from that out into low, null, or whs, if and when you want.



Some game companies do exactly this. High difficulty level PvE content enforces player socialisation. Because ? ..... maybe just because its harder for people to leave friends then to leave an internet game.
Somebody already brought it up in this thread.


Kimmi Chan wrote:
Knot'Kul Sun wrote:
if you want people to get involved into PVP more, first get them involved with other people.

Make Missions so ungodly hard for the same level of reward, (sans maybe L1 and L2) that people have no choice but to gang together and socialize, therefor increasing the likelyhood they will see PVP rather than sitting in an NPC corp or farming millions in L4's solo.



I like this idea. So much in 0.5+ is solo. Encouraging people to socialize is a plus period. ....
In EvE you get the same old solo content that is more than 2 years old and perish the thought of reaching out to fellow capsuleers to meet, socialize, and succeed with.


In a classic (Avatar-based) MMO starting players meet at those PvE battle sites and start partying because of pure necessity. (the missions are to hard for one player). In eve however pilots only see flashing imagines of eachother and there are no real PvE gathering sites. In fact you do your mission in your own "privat" grid and only your presence in the local shows other people that you are there.

I think the game feature "Walking in Stations" could be implemented as place where PvE parties could gather and plan .... but this means also that we have to wait until CCP can launch "walking in Stations"
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#70 - 2012-05-29 17:30:40 UTC
Good post OP. I PVE so I can afford my PVP. But I didn't know it'd would get so boring! When I finally grind my isk for that batch of frigs/cruisers I'm just about brain dead.
Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#71 - 2012-05-29 17:35:23 UTC
Concord missions (one time life) and other stuff like "The Maze" or incursions are good examples of what CCP can do about pve but access is so restrictive only a few do it, a huge part of those doing it do it alone with their own alts.

Game play is dumbed down to the point the only thing you need is several screens and a few clicks here and there.

brb