These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I want to try missiles, what route should I train?

Author
Gitanmaxx
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2012-05-28 16:51:20 UTC
I love the new missile effects and must use them.

I'm trained Amarr, armor tank and laser up to battlecruisers V and almost all T2 fittings. Could you guys please give me your thoughts on the best route to crosstrain and use missiles? Also I've been pve and am wanting to mostly pvp going forward so cheap ships are a must.

1. Train T2 amarr ships for the sac. (T2 ships are out of my price range to lose in pvp so this is why I'm looking to crosstrain)

2. Just train Caldari. Are there any caldari ships that can armor tank? If not is shield tanking sp intensive?

3. Minmatar, I know they can use missiles do they have any heavily dedicated missile ships or ships that wouldn't need projectile skills I hate the look and sound of projectiles for some unknown reason.

Basically I'm looking for tech 1 missile boats that isn't going to take a ton of SP to crosstrain for, and I really hate lasers now which makes me regret being amarr.
Liam Mirren
#2 - 2012-05-28 16:56:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Liam Mirren
Lasers are fine although they do have their issues, if you really don't want to use them for whatever reason and you want to use more missiles then Caldari makes the most sense. Amarr has some missile ships but they're not on par really, having said that I do expect with the rebalancing that certain ships might be switched into a missile role, this is however pure speculation.

Minmatar has ships that can also fit missiles but it has only a very select few that actually fully use them and split weapon systems suck, so if you want to use missiles then Caldari is the obvious choice. If there's other reasons for looking beyond Amarr then it all really depends on what you want to do.

Shield tanking doesn't take much training, you don't really need the compensation skills up and the rest takes just a few days tops. Also, training both Caldari as Amarr opens up the cross faction Sansha ships, while limited in use (and being laser boats) the Nightmare is amazing.

Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude.

Exploited Engineer
Creatively Applied Violence Inc.
#3 - 2012-05-28 16:56:13 UTC
Gitanmaxx wrote:
1. Train T2 amarr ships for the sac. (T2 ships are out of my price range to lose in pvp so this is why I'm looking to crosstrain)

Probably the quickest route.

Quote:
2. Just train Caldari. Are there any caldari ships that can armor tank? If not is shield tanking sp intensive?

No (well, you can always jam an armor tank on a ship, but ...).
Yes.

Shield tanking is more skill intensive than armor tanking.

Quote:
3. Minmatar, I know they can use missiles do they have any heavily dedicated missile ships or ships that wouldn't need projectile skills I hate the look and sound of projectiles for some unknown reason.

No, except for the obligatory frigate Minmatar don't have any dedicated missile boats. They have a split weapon system BS, though.

If you want to fly affordable missile boats in PvP, there's probably no way around training Caldari ship skills and shield tanking skills, unless you're satisfied with the T1 missile frigate that eacht faction seems to offer.
Izziee
University of Izziee
#4 - 2012-05-28 16:57:46 UTC
Gitanmaxx wrote:
I love the new missile effects and must use them.

I'm trained Amarr, armor tank and laser up to battlecruisers V and almost all T2 fittings. Could you guys please give me your thoughts on the best route to crosstrain and use missiles? Also I've been pve and am wanting to mostly pvp going forward so cheap ships are a must.

Basically I'm looking for tech 1 missile boats that isn't going to take a ton of SP to crosstrain for, and I really hate lasers now which makes me regret being amarr.

Finish your T2 lasers first.

Missiles have their own skill set, so likely hood is you're a lot more into gunnery.

Larger missiles aren't that great really, well, obviously they are but against smaller targets you're going to need to use drones, where as with gunnery you can usually pop the targets before they get too close to track. (I assume you talk about L4 when meaning PvE?)

Minny ships are great but the phoon is a very skill intensive ship so you'd need to train both missiles and projectiles.

I have both the abaddon and maelstrom fully T2 fit, the mael far out dps's the abaddon. My maels around 1008 dps but the abbaddon is more like 600 or something.

That said, I don't know very much about missiles at all, so probably best to take someone else's advice.
Lili Lu
#5 - 2012-05-28 17:04:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Lili Lu
Supposedly I'm blinded by my love for it, but it is an armor tanking missile boat, so I suggest the Typhoon.P

Seriously though, more information about what you want to do with the ship is needed. Are you talking pve or pvp? What size of ship? Because there are some very good small pvp missile boats now.

Most likely, and don't tell anyone you ever heard it from me, if you really love missiles, then Caldari is what you want to train. No Caldari do not have any ships that armor tank well.

Conversely the Khanid ships do armor tank and were rather good until the extreme nerf on "ungided" tech II javelin missiles occurred. Now they have **** all range and are pretty much rarely seen these days.

But you can't have everything it seems.

I do disagree with one of the posters above. Shield is less skill intensive. For instance with armor you absolutely need the damage compensation skills. WIth shield you don't need them.
Gitanmaxx
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2012-05-28 17:32:07 UTC
Thanks everyone.

I do have my lasers at T2 and it's not anything to do with being powerful, not liking the dps or anything like that. They do massive DPS. I just find the sound annoying and get irritated that with maxed out capacitor skills I still have to watch my cap. I find lasers just in general a lame design.

I am looking to get into PvP, done it a few times but less than a dozen. So Thus I want something tech1 cruiser to battleship size that can use missiles well.

Which it sounds like with the exception of the typhoon caldari is the way to go.
sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-05-28 17:43:47 UTC
Sac needs Amar cruiser 5. Since you already have BC 5, that's one skill for all 4 races, in other words, Drake. It takes longer to train racial cruiser 5 than t2 shield tanking. Drake is cheaper, more versatile, and overall better value than Sac anyway. It's an already maxed Drake with BC5, compared to whatever lvl HAC you get after finishing racial cruiser 5.

As for phon... it just takes so much SP, for something that, realistically, won't be flown that much these days. While people still aspire to the phon and joke about Drake, it's obvious which one is more practical.
Cletus Graeme
Shai Dorsai
#8 - 2012-05-28 18:31:48 UTC
If you're switching to missiles for PvE then go Caldari - all their missile boats are decent for PvE.

However they only have a few decent missile boats for pvp so before you start training shield and missile skills across the board I'd select which ships you intend to fly first and then train for each one in turn.

By far the most successful are the Drake and Tengu. The Drake is particularly versatile, relatively inexpensive and if you already fly Amarr BCs it will feel similar in terms of agility, speed, tank etc to the Harbinger.

The other Caldari missile boats - Cerberus, Raven, Caracal, Hawk, Crow and Nighthawk are rarely used in PvP these days so unless you REALLY want to fly them you're better of training specifically for the Drake and then the Tengu.

Amarr missile boats armor tank but there are only 4 - Malediction, Vengeance, Sacrilege and Damnation - and being close range damage dealers they're best suited to solo or small gang pvp. However, they're so easy for you to train with your current skillset that I'd recommend you give them a try first to learn how missiles work. If you train for T2 rockets (1week?) that will allow you to fly Male & Veng which should be enough to keep you busy while you train for the Drake. Additionally, you can use T2 HAMs on both the Sac and the Drake - so they would also be good to train for before starting with shield tanking skills.
Denuo Secus
#9 - 2012-05-28 18:59:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Denuo Secus
Why cross train just to use missiles? If it's about PvP just hop in an Amarr bomber and enjoy missiles. It's great as damage support in a gang. EM missiles are nice against common shield/nano stuffz. Also I hear the Purifier is the best for solo bombering since it has grid to fit a MSE without problems.

Other affordable Amarr options:

- Malediction is a nice fleet tackler. Rockets as drone defence. Missile fireworks as good as certain ^^ Bonus: Malediction has a nice explosive bonus. This is very useful since everyone sends Warriors after you.

- Vengeance as heavy tackler. Cap bonus is very cool since you need to go below neut range. Explosive bonus again nice against Warriors. Rockets do good, relieable damage. Especially against larger targets.