These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

FIX NPC JAMMING

Author
RaptorXL
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-05-27 04:16:39 UTC
NPC Jamming is too over powered in Caldari Missions.
A single cruiser can permanently jam my Commandship, preventing me from completing the missions, since the commandship only has room for 5 light drones, which by themselves can not break the tank of other ships. It's obviously not an issue in PVP since no one is complaining about it, but for solo PVE it's a broken mechanic that is really a turn off for playing. I shouldn't have to take my caldari ship to amaar space to avoid jamming issues. Or train to fly another race just to run caldari missions.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2 - 2012-05-27 04:21:59 UTC
RaptorXL wrote:
It's obviously not an issue in PVP since no one is complaining about it
LolLolLol

Anyway, it has already been fixed. NPCs use the exact same jamming mechanics as players (in fact, they did for much longer than CCP admits), and the last adjustment made sure they could only use normal cycles to do so rather than have the activation be random.
RaptorXL
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-05-27 04:24:17 UTC
I'm not sure how it's been fixed when it happened to me today that I was locked down for 10 minutes in a Level 3 mission since I was just testing out the new missile effects. I had to warp away and forget killing the last spawn since it was impossible to lock anything.
Spikeflach
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-05-27 06:03:32 UTC
You may need better drone skills if 5 light drones can't eventually take out a level 3 npc cruiser...

At least my mission experience my small drones usually can take out any cruiser if they are on the cruiser long enough.
Arden Elenduil
Unlimited Bear Works
#5 - 2012-05-27 09:32:21 UTC
How about you smarten the **** up and fit an ECCM module instead of whining about it on the forums.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2012-05-27 09:54:38 UTC
RaptorXL wrote:
I'm not sure how it's been fixed when it happened to me today that I was locked down for 10 minutes in a Level 3 mission since I was just testing out the new missile effects. I had to warp away and forget killing the last spawn since it was impossible to lock anything.

Use appropriate T2 light drones...
Bluddwolf
Heimatar Military Industries
#7 - 2012-05-27 11:33:24 UTC
I have had the same experience. The suggestion to use drones, only works if you can actually lock up the specific mod that is disrupting your targeting. Most of the time, you can't and your drones are just wandering around aimlessly and getting killed off.

I don't mind a challenging mission, but these just have too high a frustration factor. This is even more true when they can't even break my tank, not even below 95% shield, and I can't lock onto a single target without having to warp out, warp back in and have drones take out one target at a time.

Yeah, I guess I could go with the ECCM route, but that would mean having to refit my ship just for the sake of specific Caldari missions.

EVE Online Fan ... Looking for "End Game" since 2006 ... Happily, I still havn't found it

Khoda Khan
Vatlaa Corporation
#8 - 2012-05-27 12:02:01 UTC
Bluddwolf wrote:
I don't mind a challenging mission, but these just have too high a frustration factor. This is even more true when they can't even break my tank, not even below 95% shield, and I can't lock onto a single target without having to warp out, warp back in and have drones take out one target at a time.

There is no such thing as a challenging mission in EVE. If you actually enjoy challenges, I suggest you find something other than missions to do.

Bluddwolf wrote:
Yeah, I guess I could go with the ECCM route, but that would mean having to refit my ship just for the sake of specific Caldari missions.

Oh my, you might have to refit your ship for a mission? What a terrible challenge that could turn out to be. Is your need for EVE to be so effortless that you can't even bother refitting a ship in order to overcome a problem rather than coming to the forum and complaining about how something is broken and needs to be fixed?

Per your view, EVERYTHING is broken. Explosive damage is broken since you may need to refit a armor tanked ship to improve it's explosive damage resistance. EM damage is broken and needs fixed since shields have a base 0 resistence and you don't want to bother fitting an EM hardener. Speed is broken because a ship kits you but you can't be bothered to fit a speed mod.

If you think about it, your argument that NPC jamming needs fixed (rather than fitting ECCM) is really no different from any of the above arguments. Only mission that I ever have had much problem with jamming is Dread Pirate Scarlet, and it's only one spawn and it's easy enough (though admittedly a bit annoying) to overcome. Annoying, yes. Needs fixing? No.

I have heard that some of the Caldari FW plexes are a pain in the ass because of far too many jammers, but I've never been in a Caldari FW plex so can't attest to that.
Bluddwolf
Heimatar Military Industries
#9 - 2012-05-27 12:17:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Bluddwolf
Khoda Khan wrote:

I have heard that some of the Caldari FW plexes are a pain in the ass because of far too many jammers, but I've never been in a Caldari FW plex so can't attest to that.

Here you make my point. There is at least one lvl 4 misison that I have run that has far too many jammers in the same spawn. As soon as one has completed a cycle, another has already begun its jamming cycle. I could literally sit there forever, and not be able to lock onto a single target. I could also sit there forever and ignore them completely because they could not break my tank below 95% shield. But, I could not advance the mission either because the spawns had to be removed before the gate would unlock.

As I said, sure I could run a fetch a ECCM, but I prefer not to. I'd rather just drop the mission and take up a new one. Less time consuming and probably more profit to be gained anyway (Caldari Mission = No Bounties, Reduce my standing in Caldari, Caldari Tags sell for crap where I'm at, etc...).

EVE Online Fan ... Looking for "End Game" since 2006 ... Happily, I still havn't found it

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#10 - 2012-05-27 13:34:23 UTC
If you like missiles, you should give FOF missiles a try..

I heard some rumors that they can be fired even when the ship that launches them is jammed Shocked

And for the rest of you,
anyone who wants another nerf to NPC's, please biomass yourself and leave us.

Thank you!

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Loius Woo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-05-27 13:45:39 UTC
Or here is an idea,
Get a friend, call your friend, your friend pops the jammer NPC and leaves.

Problem solved.

Agree, if you think NPCs need nerfed then you should biomass yourself.

If anything, they should all be buffed with the same AI as sleepers/incursions. Level 4s are boring, they are only done to make money.
Khoda Khan
Vatlaa Corporation
#12 - 2012-05-27 15:30:04 UTC
Bluddwolf wrote:
Here you make my point. There is at least one lvl 4 misison that I have run that has far too many jammers in the same spawn. As soon as one has completed a cycle, another has already begun its jamming cycle. I could literally sit there forever, and not be able to lock onto a single target. I could also sit there forever and ignore them completely because they could not break my tank below 95% shield. But, I could not advance the mission either because the spawns had to be removed before the gate would unlock.

As I said, sure I could run a fetch a ECCM, but I prefer not to. I'd rather just drop the mission and take up a new one. Less time consuming and probably more profit to be gained anyway (Caldari Mission = No Bounties, Reduce my standing in Caldari, Caldari Tags sell for crap where I'm at, etc...).

ECCM isn't the end all solution for jamming, whether it's coming from NPC or other players in a PVP situation, but it does decrease the chance of a likely jam cycle to some degree. If you prefer not to run and fetch an ECCM module, the only person you have to blame for being permajammed by NPCs is yourself. It's not overpowered NPCs, bad game mechanics, or anything that needs "fixed".