These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP: What are you going to do about the storyline?

First post
Author
Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#81 - 2012-05-25 18:12:34 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
Sarah Schneider wrote:
Jovians... please? :)

They're all dead.

Good. Then we can take over their sh*t.
Only need to be careful of the booby traps they left behind.
Simca Develon
Doomheim
#82 - 2012-05-25 18:21:26 UTC
I wholeheartedly support the OP. Big smile

Je suis le commencement de votre fin.

Le diable prend soin de son proper.

Lyn Farel
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#83 - 2012-05-25 18:42:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Lyn Farel
Thank you for the answers.

I wholeheartedly support the OP. Everything has been stagnating and simplified to ridiculous extremes (the universe was much richer under the previous cold war) for several years and the only feeds we are still getting sparsely come from the work in the evelopedia, we just have to look after them with a lot of devotion to find them.

CCP Delegate Zero wrote:
I've seen many complaints in the past about 'ridiculous stories' ("why would we care about a few dozen miners trapped in an asteroid?" "why are we hearing about a food riot in which five people were killed?") that were, looking back, a direct result of having to produce a constant outpouring of material. Look more for tidal movements and peak moments. It's about what can be done and done well.

Well then I disagree with these people. We care because this is exactly the things that makes the universe live and makes it believable to us. It is the exact same things that makes it more real as we see news from every corner of the space we evolve in. This is what was awesome with the old news. We had that kind of news daily, and at each add-on I still vividly remember the epic flow of breaking news we got for Empyrean Age and Apocrypha during the downtime. That way, we also had gigantic events that influed on the state of the whole cluster. Remember the CONCORD billboards ingame ? The news were exactly that.

I am not looking for zombie queens, godlike Elders and Mass Effect-ish shadow brokers. I am looking for the old news that made people passionate about complex cases like Abel Jarek, the federal elections removing their voting rights to low sec worlds, or Ducia offering a slave team to help a caldari foraging team stuck in an asteroid. Does that make me a hipster ?
Lenell
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#84 - 2012-05-25 19:39:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Lenell
So a few days ago I dropped by the local used bookstore. They had a copy of Empyrean Age sitting on the shelf, so I snagged it. I had never seen any of the Eve books on shelves around here, and it was a hell of a read.

I've been playing this game on and off since 2004 or so, I remember that original intro video quite well. I remember the days when the expansion releases generally included some form of story progression, if nothing else to give a background context to *why* certain gameplay changes were being introduced. But now...What is the story in Inferno? It doesn't seem like there *is* any.

Now going back and watching those Empyrean Age videos that I hadn't watched for quite a while, I can't help but be impressed. That's the way to introduce an expansion and a storyline! "Why do we have faction warfare now? (Insert Scope news report)"

I enjoyed the hell out of the Incursion pre-release live events. CCP folks leading capsuleers into battle as Republic Fleet admirals? Sansha himself posting on the forums? Yes please. But since then I admit I haven't kept too much abreast of the story, and it seems there isn't much story to keep an eye on anyway.

What happened to background events happening, that information influencing the game world? Was all that just forgotten?

See, when I finished the Empyrean Age book I picked up, I was a bit confused when it just ended on a cliffhanger. Heth invades Caldari Prime, Sarum returns, the Minmatar and Amarr are at war. Then I realized...That's basically where those storylines have been *since this book came out*.

That's just sad.
Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#85 - 2012-05-25 19:48:25 UTC
Lenell wrote:
See, when I finished the Empyrean Age book I picked up, I was a bit confused when it just ended on a cliffhanger. Heth invades Caldari Prime, Sarum returns, the Minmatar and Amarr are at war. Then I realized...That's basically where those storylines have been *since this book came out*.

That's just sad.

This.

As a Minmatar RPer, we are now closing on 4 years of... no information. Is Shakor in control? Who have the other tribes elected as council members? Have their been repercussions or domestic upheaval in the Republic following Shakor's coup? Who, and what, are these "elders"?

Caldari, Amarr, and Gallente RPers all have as many if not more concerns, and these are big questions, important ones, that we would really like answered.

A simple "political overview of New Eden: YC 114" would solve a LOT of problems and give many players these answers. I dont think any of us expect every nuance of the universe to be fleshed out (indeed, its fun when it isnt!) but give us something to work with? Hey, we've been at war now for 4 years... has it had an impact? What has the Empress done since her return? How are the Caldari people responding to Heth's rule? Throw us a bone? Something? Please?

Im relieved that it was stated "Were working on it".

Sadly, I have a feeling people were "working on it" 4 years ago.

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

Snow Burst
Caldari State
#86 - 2012-05-25 20:09:08 UTC
EVE doesnt need a storyline though. Its all historical. I suppose incursion was a bit of storyline, but that was more if anything giving something to do. EVE's storylines are more to do with the epic arks tbh. Most people dont play EVE for the story hell most people dont even know the full story of EVE tbh

There Is A 90% Chance All Of What You Just Read Is Wrong, Inaccurate Or Just Me Being Controversial In Some Way. Or By Some Chance It's Completely Right In Every Way... At Least To Me :3

Ilsenae Alexandros
Perkone
Caldari State
#87 - 2012-05-25 20:10:28 UTC
MAKE CLEAR SKIES CANON

To know the face of God is to know madness.

Andreus Ixiris
Duty.
Stay Feral
#88 - 2012-05-25 20:12:12 UTC
Snow Burst wrote:
Most people dont play EVE for the story

Hey Red Overlord guy, "most people" don't play EVE in nullsec. Does this mean that nullsec doesn't matter?

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.

Snow Burst
Caldari State
#89 - 2012-05-25 20:16:00 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
Snow Burst wrote:
Most people dont play EVE for the story

Hey Red Overlord guy, "most people" don't play EVE in nullsec. Does this mean that nullsec doesn't matter?

Most people who dont play in null sec either do FW which is just dumbed down null sec or mine... nuff said tbh

There Is A 90% Chance All Of What You Just Read Is Wrong, Inaccurate Or Just Me Being Controversial In Some Way. Or By Some Chance It's Completely Right In Every Way... At Least To Me :3

Snow Burst
Caldari State
#90 - 2012-05-25 20:18:32 UTC
would however come to think of it be interesting to see stuff done with the Jove but meh if that just turns out like Sansha Incursions pretty much would ruins the Jove Maybe open abit of their space not all and have missions there instead of having them pwn the **** out of concord lol

Andreus Ixiris
Duty.
Stay Feral
#91 - 2012-05-25 20:20:49 UTC
Snow Burst wrote:
Most people who dont play in null sec either do FW which is just dumbed down null sec or mine... nuff said tbh

Which still does not in any way mean that their opinions on EVE are any less valid than yours.

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.

Alain Colcer
Nadire Security Consultants
Federation Peacekeepers
#92 - 2012-05-25 22:28:31 UTC
The discussion between being the players the living storyline of Eve's universe versus being the sum of its parts is a moot point. Neither side is "right".

Players (null-sec, low-sec, high-sec and WH ones) make epic storyline because they have an incredible backstage in which to tell their struggles, victories and falls. That backstage has existed since we began playing the game roughly 9? years ago.

What most of us (RPers), in this thread are asking CCP to notice, is that the backstage has remained the same for the past 4 years.

You can capture an audience with the epic story of Leonidas against Xerxes in one setting, but you canot tell 500 different other stories across several years using the same "props" on the set. The magical context in which the story is told, looses appeal.

On the other hand, if you look closely at RPer groups, they also work hard to create their own content, their own epic storylines, interaction between ally and foes, but it reaches a certain threshold where it is no longer possible to create an "evolving storyline" if the backstage is not moving along with your efforts or failures. Even if said efforts or failures represent the 0.000001% of the universe, the rest is stil there breathing and changing.

The way to set focus on the NPC storyline could be considered easy, writing scope articles, small snippets, bringing more description to mission briefing or just placing more into the whole UI of the game, but one also needs to consider that writing all that additional info needs to be done cohesively, with context, continuity and common sense.

I can see why CCP writers and content related staff might be slow in publishing stuff that we could use and salvage for roleplaying or evolve our own storylines as pilots aligned with the NPC factions (either empire or pirate ones), but the absolutely lack of plot advancement is depressing.

Just as an example:

Goonswarm might not be interested in knowing Jacus Roden has established greater efforts with his security fleets to impose a better control on drug trafficking, but you bet they would be interested in knowing if such "statement" did bring any changes to the way custom control works at gate, and BOTH are quite inter-related.

So you see, a change in storyline, a plot twist or minor adjustments in the overall context, paired with changes in the game CAN bring interesting storylines for all, null-sec and high-sec dwellers.

Wouldn't you be entertained with such things if they ever happened in game?. i would
Snow Burst
Caldari State
#93 - 2012-05-25 22:30:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Snow Burst
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
Snow Burst wrote:

Which still does not in any way mean that their opinions on EVE are any less valid than yours.

didnt say they wernt but if anything has been proven... eve is what the majority want hence incarna aftermath. and sadly tht means new ui will be scrapped which i dnt think is bad. only reason they did stuff for fw is cuz people whined about it eventually just like local in null sec but that has yet to be seen removed. removing local wud be such a stupid thing cuz how would people know anyones in the system youd have to constantly have scouts out its allright for wh's because their smaller and easier to manage

Bastian Valoron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#94 - 2012-05-25 23:34:26 UTC
CCP Delegate Zero wrote:

I've seen many complaints in the past about 'ridiculous stories' ("why would we care about a few dozen miners trapped in an asteroid?" "why are we hearing about a food riot in which five people were killed?") that were, looking back, a direct result of having to produce a constant outpouring of material. Look more for tidal movements and peak moments. It's about what can be done and done well.

The cluster-shattering events we have been reading about lately are generally not accessible in-character and they typically have had little connection to the game. A monumental piece of fiction takes longer to be digested by the community and it's a problem for character interaction if only a handful of people know how things officially are. Using a narrator who knows everything has the additional disadvantage of giving rise to frequent "that's not how it works" moments.

In contracts, vague, small news articles leave a lot of room for your imagination and the wait for the next part keeps you hooked into the story. They are exactly what it should be about.

For instance, if we hear there are miners trapped in an asteroid, we can actually go there and either mine all the belts to find them or make sure no one will ever find them, depending which choice would be more beneficial for the interests we represent. If there is a food riot, we can start delivering some LLR's in the system or deplete all the food resources from the area, whichever option suits us better. Since the story is official and well-publicized, a lot of players are going to flock to the area and emergent game play can begin. The event will serve as a perfect excuse for us to throw accusations and threats at each other. The more we can interact with the story, the more we care.

Circumstantial Evidence
#95 - 2012-05-26 08:59:09 UTC
This story suggests adding that very thing to the game FROM the story: a watered down, slightly sanitized "Inferno" booster for inventors, that would increase chance of success of inventing "Inferno" T2 modules... perhaps any invention job. But the random percent side effect would be (some length of time, perhaps permanent) INT attribute point loss. Take the booster as often as you dare, until you're a vegitable.

(example "inferno" booster)
1 hr duration
Minimum INT required: 10
+20% invention success chance for "inferno" modules
20% chance of side effect: -1 INT (3 months)
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#96 - 2012-05-26 09:05:50 UTC
Great thread with lots of goodpoasts!

Just wanted to add that the backstory is not only important to dedicated RPers, it's a vital part of EVE and should not be neglected like this. I've chosen not to think about it for now because of the huge holes and inconsistencies present in it.

- ship crews, both NPC and player ships, yes/no? Billions of truely dead people monthly?
- incursions, wtf?
- dynamic world?

etc.

Seismic Stan
Freebooted Junkworks
#97 - 2012-05-26 09:51:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Seismic Stan
Roime wrote:
Great thread with lots of goodpoasts!

Just wanted to add that the backstory is not only important to dedicated RPers, it's a vital part of EVE and should not be neglected like this. I've chosen not to think about it for now because of the huge holes and inconsistencies present in it.

- ship crews, both NPC and player ships, yes/no? Billions of truely dead people monthly?
- incursions, wtf?
- dynamic world?

etc.

The ship crew debate was finally put to bed last year when TonyG included a table of crew numbers for capsuleer and non-capsuleer ships.

But you do have a point on the unsustainably high death toll. Prior to the release of TonyG's table, I had done some number-crunching in my post, The End of New Eden is Nigh. In it, I show that the entire population of New Eden would have been wiped out in the first three years of capsuleer combat. I revisited those calculations to try to make the ongoing holocaust sustainable in New Eden is Saved.

TonyG's table did not help these figures.
Kimiko Tojima
Daughters of Hada
#98 - 2012-05-26 10:38:32 UTC
CCP Delegate Zero wrote:

Respectfully disagreeing here... snippets of local news make this universe a living place for me.

Imho every CCP employee should have a "home world" of his own and create a news snippet of it once per month Blink
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#99 - 2012-05-26 10:52:47 UTC
The Storyline is a servant of game design, not a master of logic.

CCP appease game design, not rationality.

If they wanted to create a compelling storyline intricately woven over a long period of time - they would be J.K. Rowling.

CCP has limits

AK

This space for rent.

Rico Minali
Sons Of 0din
Commonwealth Vanguard
#100 - 2012-05-26 11:00:08 UTC
The thing is, with such a detailed and colourful backstory it would be very easy to come up with new content built into the game that DOESNT destroy immersion or defy the history. You just have to be sensible.

For instance take incursions, tbh I dotn care about incursions but that was truly an opportunity lost. Why? Lowsec. From a storyline point of view it would be where Sansha attacks first - No concord, weak security but still very populated ideal for incursions. And from a gameplay point of view, what an opportunity to pus something in lowsec worth going there for! Keep the rewards very high, high enough to make people want to go there, high enough to fight for. And take incursions away from everywhere else. Hisec makes no sense due to concord and the navies. Nullsec makes no sense because why would he invade nullsec? Its generally pirate space anyway adn isnt highly populated.

Start taking the storyline seriously, and also tie it all in to make better gameplay not just shiny features.

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.