These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I really Know why Eve don't get more Players....

Author
Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#141 - 2012-05-24 17:21:37 UTC
Kyshonuba wrote:
Virgil Travis wrote:
The ideas presented in this thread are a prime example of people not wanting to or being unable to accept responsibility for their own actions and wanting someone else to take care of the problems they face for them.

The ideas presented in this thread are examples of ideas which might lead to higher subscriber numbers.

... does CCP really wants Eve Online to grow at the moment at a broader scale ?
.... do the players really want 60 000 people online rather then the 30 000 ?

Isn't CCP is develloping DUST and "World of Darkness" atm ? Seems that Eve do not really have to grow because CCP is trying to get new customers by develloping 2 other merchandises.
I myself am feeling that eve is rather in the process of being "cleaned up", .... old "dusty" features like faction war and War declaration system being revamped.

If we get the new shiny POSES (togather with some 0-Sec balancing) next year ...... yea that might be an opportunity to rise the subscriber numbers. Cool

People seem to believe that higher subscriber numbers automatically makes a game better. They don't, I wouldn't play WoW if you paid me because from what I've read about it there is little to hold my interest for very long. I spent 2 years reading the forums and blogs about EVE before I finally got around to joining. If you still believe that EVE has to compete with theme park games theh you don't understand much about the game.

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#142 - 2012-05-24 17:23:59 UTC
Why is this thread still going?

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Jayrendo Karr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#143 - 2012-05-24 17:24:13 UTC
Expansion into new demograpics would be nice, but not if it comes at the cost of changing the core ideas of the game.
Grimolfr Ronuken
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#144 - 2012-05-24 17:29:08 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Dethbringer1 wrote:
Have I done PVP? No

Then why are you offering up opinions and proposals about it?

Apparently you completely missed the fact that he isn't.

His proposal is all about making the game playable for rookie pilots and/or those who prefer PvE over PvP.

I'm a 3-week rookie. Right now my recommendation to a new player would be to:

1. Do the rookie tutorial missions to learn some of the game mechanics and, more importantly, pick up some free skillbooks and easy ISK.
  2. Use EveMon to set up a training plan for the direction you want your career to go by using certificates as a base.
  3. When you're done with the tutorials, sell the destroyer, refine all the civilian gear and sell the minerals, take whatever ISK you've got and selectively buy skill books. (Based on EveMon plan.)
  4. If you don't already have it, add race-appropriate Soldiering or Special Forces certificates to your plan
  5. Fill up your training queue according to the EveMon plan and the skill books you could afford. Monitor it daily.
  6. Do this for a month. Don't even bother undocking from the station unless you need to pod-travel somewhere to pick up skill books.
  7. At the end of a month, you might have enough skill points in the right places to take one of your tutorial ships and the non-civilian equipment you were gifted and run security missions to pick up some ISK.
  8. When you can, upgrade your equipment, rinse and repeat.
Plentath
Sparkle Motion.
#145 - 2012-05-24 17:41:08 UTC
Grimolfr Ronuken wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Dethbringer1 wrote:
Have I done PVP? No

His proposal is all about making the game playable for rookie pilots and/or those who prefer PvE over PvP.

1. Do the rookie tutorial missions to learn some of the game mechanics and, more importantly, pick up some free skillbooks and easy ISK.
  2. Use EveMon to set up a training plan for the direction you want your career to go by using certificates as a base.
  3. When you're done with the tutorials, sell the destroyer, refine all the civilian gear and sell the minerals, take whatever ISK you've got and selectively buy skill books. (Based on EveMon plan.)
  4. If you don't already have it, add race-appropriate Soldiering or Special Forces certificates to your plan
  5. Fill up your training queue according to the EveMon plan and the skill books you could afford. Monitor it daily.
  6. Do this for a month. Don't even bother undocking from the station unless you need to pod-travel somewhere to pick up skill books.
  7. At the end of a month, you might have enough skill points in the right places to take one of your tutorial ships and the non-civilian equipment you were gifted and run security missions to pick up some ISK.

Your point about not undocking for a month is absolutely ******* terrible.

This guy ( http://eveswarm.com/2012/01/player-spotlight-orion-winters/ ) can live in nullsec and tackle capital class ships in PVP at less than a WEEK in the game, so why can't anyone else?

Seriously. Your attitude is completely terrible.
Plentath
Sparkle Motion.
#146 - 2012-05-24 17:42:37 UTC
Also, you can run level four missions at less than a month into the game if you know what you're doing.

If you have any interest in actually playing this game and not moaning about it I suggest you try to turn around your attitude.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#147 - 2012-05-24 17:45:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Petrus Blackshell
Grimolfr Ronuken wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Dethbringer1 wrote:
Have I done PVP? No

He was offering up opinions and proposals about PvP. Stuff like "anything you can kill with a frig is just plain boring as hel", suggesting skill point limits for PvP engagements ("I only suggested not letting 50m sp player gank 1m sp players"), and talk about "noob griefing" -- which doesn't exist. "Stupid person griefing" exists, but that's a completely separate thing.

I'm glad you're not in a new player thread giving those recommendations, or I'd have to flip out on you. There is nothing preventing a few-days old newbie from jumping into level 1 missions, PvP, mining, industry, PI, or anything else they want to do. Nobody will attack a newbie in a frigate in hisec. It's just pointless.

Danger in hisec only starts appearing once you carry large amounts of valuable stuff around in inappropriately vulnerable ships, or when you inappropriately fly inappropriately-tanked expensive ships (in other words, are doing something really stupid). No thinking newbies will do either of those, so there is no problem.

I don't know what experience you had or where you got all that misinformation, but I would suggest re-evaluating it.

Plentath
Sparkle Motion.
#148 - 2012-05-24 18:02:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Plentath
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Grimolfr Ronuken wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Dethbringer1 wrote:
Have I done PVP? No

((hogwash))

He was offering up opinions and proposals about PvP. Stuff like "anything you can kill with a frig is just plain boring as hel", suggesting skill point limits for PvP engagements ("I only suggested not letting 50m sp player gank 1m sp players"), and talk about "noob griefing" -- which doesn't exist. "Stupid person griefing" exists, but that's a completely separate thing.

I'm glad you're not in a new player thread giving those recommendations, or I'd have to flip out on you. There is nothing preventing a few-days old newbie from jumping into level 1 missions, PvP, mining, industry, PI, or anything else they want to do. Nobody will attack a newbie in a frigate in hisec. It's just pointless.

Danger in hisec only starts appearing once you carry large amounts of valuable stuff around in inappropriately vulnerable ships, or when you inappropriately fly inappropriately-tanked expensive ships (in other words, are doing something really stupid). No thinking newbies will do either of those, so there is no problem.

I don't know what experience you had or where you got all that misinformation, but I would suggest re-evaluating it.

Context: Petrus runs a corp which is all about bringing brand-new players into PVP and he does so with aplomb.
Kyshonuba
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#149 - 2012-05-24 18:04:28 UTC
Virgil Travis wrote:

People seem to believe that higher subscriber numbers automatically makes a game better.

.. and in worst case suggest changes which shall make the game easier, but in fact kill its complexity and strategy. (AgeOf Empires comes into my mind)
Although the discussion and ideas about how to rise susscribing numbers is legit and shouldn't be silenced with forum flame
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#150 - 2012-05-24 18:07:58 UTC
Plentath wrote:
Context: Petrus runs a corp which is all about bringing brand-new players into PVP and he does so with aplomb.

I learned a new word today! Or maybe re-learned. I can't remember. Stealth recruitment plug with shiny vocabulary, go!

Anyway, I do, and my confidence only comes from the fact that I had a great time starting out as a newbie, and am trying to do my part to spread the love.

Kyshonuba
Caldari State
#151 - 2012-05-24 18:20:47 UTC
Plentath wrote:

Your point about not undocking for a month is absolutely ******* terrible.

This guy ( http://eveswarm.com/2012/01/player-spotlight-orion-winters/ ) can live in nullsec and tackle capital class ships in PVP at less than a WEEK in the game, so why can't anyone else?

Seriously. Your attitude is completely terrible.

Nah .... Plenthat your information is not up to date. CCP is planning a new station feature called "dock enhanced cerebral learning device".
There is a heated debatte ongoing atm about how to implente this new station service.

1. If you stay docked for 8 hours your skill learning rises by 20%
2. If you stay docked for 3 days your skill learning rises by 50%
3. If you even do not logg in for 3 days skill learning rises to + 100% .... yea Cool
Grimolfr Ronuken
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#152 - 2012-05-24 18:24:55 UTC
Plentath wrote:
Also, you can run level four missions at less than a month into the game if you know what you're doing.

If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be a rookie.

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#153 - 2012-05-24 18:27:17 UTC
Grimolfr Ronuken wrote:
Plentath wrote:

If you don't know what you're doing, don't give advice to newbies. The blind leading the blind only leads to hilarious/tragic getting-hit-by-a-freight-train accidents that end up on "America's Funniest Home Videos".

Kyshonuba
Caldari State
#154 - 2012-05-24 18:39:21 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Grimolfr Ronuken wrote:
Plentath wrote:

If you don't know what you're doing, don't give advice to newbies. The blind leading the blind only leads to hilarious/tragic getting-hit-by-a-freight-train accidents that end up on "America's Funniest Home Videos".

LolLolLolLolLol ... btw absolutly Off-Topic
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#155 - 2012-05-24 18:42:05 UTC
Kyshonuba wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Grimolfr Ronuken wrote:
Plentath wrote:

LolLolLolLolLol ... btw absolutly Off-Topic

Nah, this thread is a train wreck as it is. It just needed an actualization of a train to really make it.

Grimolfr Ronuken
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#156 - 2012-05-24 18:42:27 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:

Read the forums sometime from the PoV of a rookie instead of a veteran.

Go to the loadouts on BattleClinic and try to find one that's actually attainable by a 2-week rookie (casual, some of us do have jobs). The first time I went out there and looked for "cheap" PvE loadouts, the only one I found with positive ratings cost over 70m ISK to equip.

There's almost no useful information anywhere, beyond the tutorial missions, for an actual rookie.

Hell, I've even found corps using the "New Player Friendly" filter that won't accept anyone under 6m SP. Their definition of "new" differs somewhat from mine.

It seems to me that most of the long-term players in this thread don't remember what it was like to be a real rookie, and have no real interest in PvE. Which means most of what the OP is interested in shouldn't interest you at all, unless you're active griefers.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#157 - 2012-05-24 19:00:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Petrus Blackshell
Grimolfr Ronuken wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:

Read the forums sometime from the PoV of a rookie instead of a veteran.

Go to the loadouts on BattleClinic and try to find one that's actually attainable by a 2-week rookie (casual, some of us do have jobs). The first time I went out there and looked for "cheap" PvE loadouts, the only one I found with positive ratings cost over 70m ISK to equip.

There's almost no useful information anywhere, beyond the tutorial missions, for an actual rookie.

Hell, I've even found corps using the "New Player Friendly" filter that won't accept anyone under 6m SP. Their definition of "new" differs somewhat from mine.

It seems to me that most of the long-term players in this thread don't remember what it was like to be a real rookie, and have no real interest in PvE. Which means most of what the OP is interested in shouldn't interest you at all, unless you're active griefers.

You've caught me, I run a for-newbies blog, answers questions in the new player Q&A forum (which, by the way, has LOTS of info and a newbie-friendly community), and recruit people with no experience or skill points whatsoever in order to help them get started in Eve... but I am actually just a newbie griefer. It really amuses me when people toss out silly ignorant accusations.

The forums in general are full of whiny losers and self-entitled know-it-all "pros" who wouldn't let go of their Drake or their Tengu no matter what. I wouldn't take anything they said without a grainsprinklingone ton solid crystal of salt. Battleclinic is even worse. Newbie forum, the help channel, a good corp, and willing and able vets who genuinely want to help are far better resources.

Yes, information about how to get started in Eve is not as readily available as it should be, and much of the player base may have forgotten how it feels to be in a vulnerable T1 frigate with barely a few mil ISK in your wallet, but that has no bearing on whether a newbie should or shouldn't undock in the first month. Quit shifting goalposts.

Oh, and since you asked so nicely for a basic PvE setup, here's the one I used to fund myself in my starter days in 0.0:
Quote:
[Hurricane, Cheap Ratter]

Prototype Armor EM Hardener I
Prototype Armor Thermic Hardener I
Medium Automated Carapace Restoration
Medium Automated Carapace Restoration
Gyrostabilizer I
Gyrostabilizer I

Experimental 10MN MicroWarpdrive I
'Langour' Drive Disruptor I
'Langour' Drive Disruptor I
Medium F-RX Prototype Capacitor Boost, Cap Booster 800

425mm Medium Gallium Machine Gun, EMP M
Salvager I
Salvager I

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Projectile Collision Accelerator I

Hammerhead I x1
Hobgoblin I x4

51 mil ISK, and very easy to fit. When I first flew this, it was a gift from my 0.0 corp to give me a nudge toward self-reliance. If given a more specific purpose, I can craft much cheaper/specialized fits, but this fit (or a variant of it) will handle all level 1-3 missions, most/all asteroid belt rats in all sec, and even small cocky PvPers tackling you with no problem.

FeralShadow
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#158 - 2012-05-24 19:52:53 UTC  |  Edited by: FeralShadow
Malcanis wrote:
"New players" don't have billions. Any player who has made "billions" in EVE has played long enough to know better... and almost certainly taken advantage of a few chumps themselves in their time.

The difference between what we colloquially call a "scam" and simply getting a good deal is frequently merely one of degree. A noob player manages to kill a faction spawn frigate rat on his second day and in his ignorance puts a low-grade Epsilon up for sale at the same price as a +2 Charisma implant, and you buy it. You've made the same profit as you would by selling a Charisma implant as a low-grade Epsilon, at 10% under the lowest contract price, but you're actually more morally reprehensible because you've taken advantage of someone who really might be too new to know better.

Yet we call the first - taking advantage of a new player who is simply ignorant of the value of his find "getting a good deal", whilst the second, fooling a rich older player who got greedy and thought he was taking advantage of you, is a "scam".

What strange days we live in.

Between this post and the other two on the same page, Malcanis, I think I love you. Your views are exactly those that keep Eve thriving as the living and breathing monster that it is currently. (Monster being good in this context). Keep spreading the good word.

At any rate, OP, I respect that you're looking for alternatives to this issue of chasing away newer players/being too harsh for carebears, but a lot of the ideas you've centered your solutions around really don't make much sense in the context of the Eve universe. BoE and BoP modules? That has disaster written all over it because of Eve's free market economy. The ramifications of having items that, once equipped, cannot be resold are... numerous to say the least.

Additionally you keep suggesting that there should either be a PVP/Non-PVP flag, or an area that is 100% guaranteed safe from violencing your boat (since there doesn't seem to be a problem with market pvp, I assume you're looking at the shooting aspect). Again, it's not feasable unless it is centered on its own completely disconnected sphere because the market impacts that risk-free activities would have on the game would be terrible.

Another point brought up is that it's the dark and dangerous atmosphere that is prevalent in Eve that has brought a lot of dedicated players to the game, and I would absolutely agree with that point. Most dedicated subscribers that stick around and add content to this game are those who got involved specifically because it was a dark and dangerous world. I know that's why I started, and I've been playing since 2005. Typically when a new player is violenced it's because they wandered into low security space. I don't think I've ever heard of a legitimately new player being randomly killed unless they did something to provoke it (aware of it or not).

However, all these things taken into account, there is no reason we couldn't continue discussing possible solutions to player retention. We would have to steer away from people being 100% safe, unless they're completely disconnected from the rest of the galaxy. We would have to maintain the current free market atmosphere. Some people just simply don't like the risk involved in a game like this. I have a good friend who I think would enjoy the industry/market side of this game very much, but the simple fact that he doesn't feel completely safe anywhere means he doesn't play it. This is simply not the game for him.

Perhaps the problem arises from not properly informing new players as to all the different consequences of their actions. It's easy as a veteran of the game to look at what a player did and go "oh yeah you shouldn't have done that." I have, from many many years, developed an encyclopedic knowledge of the do's and dont's of this game. However, when a newbie is in a mission, a frigate warps in and loots a wreck, the newbie shoots the frigate, then dies from the frigate after he reships, yeah I can see how that would be angering and frustrating. How far can we realistically go to inform the players of every single danger in the universe?

What about different industrial ships? Blockade runners already do a terrific job of getting goods past places without being suicide ganked. It seems to me that, basically, all the tools are there, but most people simply do not want to use them and would rather focus on maximizing their isk/hr at the detriment to their survivability.

In essence, carebears used to feel safe because they would be in corporations that worked together to protect themselves, even during war time. Carebears then joined noob corps because they didn't want to deal with the wars any more. Pvpers then started suicide ganking them because, what other option is there?

I honestly believe that fostering a sense of companionship and community within a corporation, and the leadership of that corporation not hiding their heads in the sand hoping blindly to avoid war decs would do a lot to help. The corporation joins an alliance that can help protect them. People are knowledgeable about the risks, and work together to prevent losses. People are less concerned about their own welfare, and more about protecting their friends and assets.

Let's face it, regardless of what is done, pvpers are clever and will discover ways to continue the trend, adapting and changing their tactics. Carebears have the advantage of numbers, but currently don't care, or don't want to work together to protect themselves.

TL;DR: Best thing carebears can do is work together, spread knowledge, and protect their friends over maximizing their profits. Doesn't require breaking anything, and fixes nearly all problems.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Grimolfr Ronuken
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#159 - 2012-05-24 20:15:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Grimolfr Ronuken
Petrus Blackshell wrote:

You've caught me, I run a for-newbies blog, answers questions in the new player Q&A forum (which, by the way, has LOTS of info and a newbie-friendly community), and recruit people with no experience or skill points whatsoever in order to help them get started in Eve... but I am actually just a newbie griefer. It really amuses me when people toss out silly ignorant accusations.

Yes... Grim can read. The one who thinks I have no right to want a Ferrari or eat in 5-star restaurants mentioned that you run a rookie guild.

It wasn't an accusation, and I'm fairly certain you're aware that it wasn't intended that way, or even directed at you specifically. It was a commentary on the apparent wide-spread attitude of veteran PvPers that rookies who are more comfortable learning the mechanics in PvE somehow shouldn't have the right to voice their opinions. Or that their opinions are automatically invalidated simply because they don't like being skeet for someone else's entertainment.

I am by nature not a trusting person. Added to that are all the scams & the fact that CCP considers it to be part of the sandbox. There's nobody in this universe that I actually know. My understanding is that joining a corp or even fleeting up with someone, among the obvious potential benefits, also gives them the right to basically blow you up and steal your crap even in 1-sec with no repurcussions. One of the tutorials even specifically warns rookies to only do this with people they trust. That basically leaves me trying to find ways to learn the game solo and through online research.

BTW, you might want to work on your Google rankings. I just did a search for "EVE Rookie Help" and your blog isn't on either of the first two pages of results. Not meant to be mean or snarky in any way. If your goal is really to help rookie pilots, they need to be able to find you using the methods they're going to try.

Petrus Blackshell wrote:

The forums in general are full of whiny losers and self-entitled know-it-all "pros" who wouldn't let go of their Drake or their Tengu no matter what. I wouldn't take anything they said without a grainsprinklingone ton solid crystal of salt. Battleclinic is even worse. Newbie forum, the help channel, a good corp, and willing and able vets who genuinely want to help are far better resources.

How exactly is a "True Rookie" supposed to know which sources are reliable and which ones lead down the path of despair? Is there some special tattoo that differentiates trustworthy veterans from scammers? (<-- hyperbole)

Petrus Blackshell wrote:

Yes, information about how to get started in Eve is not as readily available as it should be, and much of the player base may have forgotten how it feels to be in a vulnerable T1 frigate with barely a few mil ISK in your wallet, but that has no bearing on whether a newbie should or shouldn't undock in the first month. Quit shifting goalposts.

No, but it is relevant to whether or not it's worthwhile to have some way for rookie's to get worked into the snake pit gradually instead of thrown in head first: Here's a ship. Here's some ammo. Here's a gun. Here's how you put the gun on the ship. Here's how you fire it. Bye.

I lost my free destroyer the day I got it to rats. Quickly and dramatically. I got thrown out into the world and got my ass handed to me in the best ship I had with the best equipment I could afford by AI pirates in a Hi-Sec system. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I couldn't possibly survive a 1-on-1 PvP battle against an actual player that knows how to fit and operate a PvP ship. Of course I avoid it.

Petrus Blackshell wrote:

Oh, and since you asked so nicely for a basic PvE setup, here's the one I used to fund myself in my starter days in 0.0:
Quote:
...snip...

I didn't ask, but thank you. I'll hold onto that for when I actually have the money and skills to afford and operate that ship and those guns. (<-- I'm trying to reiterate a subtle point there. Not-so-subtle any more, I'm afraid.)
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#160 - 2012-05-24 20:20:15 UTC
Christopher AET wrote:
www.hellokittyonline.com

When this post has more likes than your OP, you have been invalidated

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.