These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I really Know why Eve don't get more Players....

Author
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#121 - 2012-05-24 10:28:00 UTC
Allyxy wrote:

Yes iteration is nice, shooting in face is nice, blowing up ppl ships is nice.... but there could be more, much more, friends! Just be open don't fear to lose something if you want to gain much more!

Sincerely Yours, Allyxy Bear

You're suggesting removing the thing that makes EvE special (constant player vs player interaction) in order to draw in more customers.

Honestly, that might work for the short term. It would bring in the traveling troupe of MMO players who play each new theme park MMO until they run out of content then leave. But it would drive out the hardcore players who've provide most of the real sandbox content.

After the troupe leaves in about a month and a half (enough time to sample all the HS PvE activities), the game will die just like every other theme park MMO that crops up to compete with Blizzard's behemoth.

So the reason we're not open to this is that it would remove the thing that makes EvE what it is. Without the freedom to screw over other players at any time and in any way, EvE is left with miserably boring PvE grinds, and PvP without the significance that it currently has.

There are a TON of MMOs that cater to the type of play that you espouse, several of them are spaceship themed. If you don't like EvE's core concepts, don't play EvE.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Francisco Bizzaro
#122 - 2012-05-24 10:32:35 UTC
Allyxy wrote:
First of all I wish to thank all of you that expressed very interesting constructive opinion about this point.

As foreseen many veteran EVE players rant&raves a lot, probably scared by thinking that eventually CCP could listen to such opinions and ruins their(our?) belowed game.

As some of you clever guys recognize, without prejudice, enlarging the player base would be a big benefit for the game overall but the real problem is how to get in non PVP-ERS that are the large majority of potential players into Eve without ruining it's core.

And thank you for taking the time to present this list of original ideas in such a condescending way to all of us fearful narrow-minded niche enthusiasts.

But it's not at all clear to me that enlarging the player base at any and all cost is a "benefit" to the game. Particularly if it means gutting it of some of the principles that I happen to respect and enjoy.

I'd written a somewhat longer reply, but your ideas are just so poorly thought-out that even contradicting gives them more attention than they deserve. You don't understand Eve, and your use of terminology ("bind on pickup"? really?) suggests you'd rather be playing a different game. So play it, enjoy it, but don't pollute this game with your awful ideas.

Eve should not gut its core principles for the sake of a larger audience. There is some merit to knowing what you like and knowing what you do well. CCP should keep developing the game the way they envision and enjoy it and they'll continue to exceed in the niche which they've carved out for themselves.
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#123 - 2012-05-24 10:34:23 UTC
Really one of the biggest downfall to player retention is the fact that Eve is not very "casual" friendly. Anything that is casual friendly in Eve is repetitive and lack luster. The only saving grace Eve has for casual players is its skill system, which in itself is a double-edged sword, since it doesn't reward the more active as far as character progression.

This isn't a bad thing mind you, but it does place it and keeps it in a niche market.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Kurama Bingyi
Doomheim
#124 - 2012-05-24 10:37:05 UTC
Bart Wart wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:
See what killed UO, then post again.

Everquest and WOW killed UO?

UO's dead?

Last I saw, it was still kicking. Albeit with far less subscribers.

"Nay," responded Kurama Bingyi, "to crush your enemies, to see them fall at your feet - to take their horses and goods and hear the lamentation of their women. That is best."

Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#125 - 2012-05-24 10:41:34 UTC
Kurama Bingyi wrote:
Bart Wart wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:

Everquest and WOW killed UO?

UO's dead?

Last I saw, it was still kicking. Albeit with far less subscribers.

The only reason UO isn't dead is because of the low operating costs involved with keeping it running. However Trammel did pretty much kill UO.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#126 - 2012-05-24 10:56:40 UTC
You should change the title of the threat to "How to kill the Sandbox, changing EvE to a Theme Park mmo".

If you don't like sandbox mmo's, DON'T PLAY THEM!!!!!

The Tears Must Flow

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#127 - 2012-05-24 11:11:22 UTC
This was a terrible suggestion made worse by the fact you claim to be a developer.
Remistor Callaway
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#128 - 2012-05-24 12:50:47 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
This was a terrible suggestion made worse by the fact you claim to be a developer.

developing do not mean marketing
Marjolaine Soucie
Grott Shipyards
#129 - 2012-05-24 13:06:09 UTC
Coming from UO and SWG, I know people love PvP and that isn't what is keeping them away. You see in pvp, whether consensual or otherwise, there can be consequences to it. What do I mean? Someone gate camps you, you retaliate by bringing in your corp fleet to wipe them out. No, pvp isn't the problem. The problem is scammers and ponzi scheme artists. There is no retribution the players can impose on these people. They take billions, then launder it to other players, delete the scammer character. And no penalties for it from CCP makes this game seem like everyone is out to get you. So no, its not pvp, its the scammers and schemers with the ease of laundering money and no consequences from ccp which has caused the eve culture to be cuastic. And that is why eve falls short of its full potential.
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#130 - 2012-05-24 13:10:54 UTC
Marjolaine Soucie wrote:
Coming from UO and SWG, I know people love PvP and that isn't what is keeping them away. You see in pvp, whether consensual or otherwise, there can be consequences to it. What do I mean? Someone gate camps you, you retaliate by bringing in your corp fleet to wipe them out. No, pvp isn't the problem. The problem is scammers and ponzi scheme artists. There is no retribution the players can impose on these people. They take billions, then launder it to other players, delete the scammer character. And no penalties for it from CCP makes this game seem like everyone is out to get you. So no, its not pvp, its the scammers and schemers with the ease of laundering money and no consequences from ccp which has caused the eve culture to be cuastic. And that is why eve falls short of its full potential.

They don't take billions, stupid people give them billions.

You can't rob anyone in EVE.

Marjolaine Soucie
Grott Shipyards
#131 - 2012-05-24 13:46:25 UTC

I wholeheartedly agree. It's not the scammers fault some players are ignorant, however, there should be some punishment for exploiting a paying customer, a person, another human; just as there is punishment for exploiting a game mechanic where no person is harmed.

With that said, I understand where the OP is coming from, offering suggestions to increase population/player base. We all want more people to pvp with, whether it's trade pvp, ship pvp or mining pvp. My suggestions would be this:

1. Don't change the game to cater to those not in it now as then your core would leave and at the same time the mysteriousness of the game that draws people in now wouldn't work with the core gone and the game mechanics changed, but instead incorporate some new ideas without frying the core.
2. Incorporate some new pvp. Faction warfare is in place and updated, and from what I have read, in a good way. Take it another step. Some ideas around this: put in a "dungeon" like Darkness Falls from DAOC. So then whatever Faction is "winning", they unlock access to this space "dungeon" which could have special rewards within itself as well as another component to mixing pve with pvp. Another idea, add another "level" to Faction Warfare and by that I mean, instead of 2vs2, add in a component that makes it so all 4 factions fight each other (Caldari vs amarr vs gallente vs minmatar) and add in something like a spacestation for each faction which when controlled, bonuses are given to that faction, and when you control an opponents space station, bonuses are multiplied, etc.
3. Yes, add in more pve. Its kind of annoying to run a mission, go back get a new mission only to get the exact same mission you just ran. More missions, more variety. Exploration missions would be good, pvp missions, etc. More epic arcs. Mix pve with pvp. There is a lot more that can be done here without upsetting the pvp ness.
4. And yes, consequences to scamming and botting. Sure these are real life humans as well, but 1 person taking advantage of another's ignorance shouldn't be tolerated especially since the one who was taken advantage of could not only quit but tell his gamer friends about it which in turn would mean less subscribers. No one signs up for a game to be taken advantage of.
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#132 - 2012-05-24 14:07:36 UTC
Marjolaine Soucie wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree. It's not the scammers fault some players are ignorant, however, there should be some punishment for exploiting a paying customer, a person, another human; just as there is punishment for exploiting a game mechanic where no person is harmed.

To be able to punish someone, one first needs to define what is a punishable exploit.

How would you build a legal system in EVE, what kind of exploits would you define as illegal?

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#133 - 2012-05-24 14:20:19 UTC
Marjolaine Soucie wrote:

Fortunately, such a mechanism is already in place. CCP allow the exploitee to take as much revenge as he wishes against the exploiter, and on exactly the same terms.

If the exploitee chooses not to employ this mechanism, that's up to them.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#134 - 2012-05-24 14:22:41 UTC
Marjolaine Soucie wrote:

Only people who are greedy, lazy or both get scammed. I fail to see why they deserve protection from the consequences of their greed or sloth., and you certainly haven't made a case for them to be.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#135 - 2012-05-24 14:59:14 UTC
The ideas presented in this thread are a prime example of people not wanting to or being unable to accept responsibility for their own actions and wanting someone else to take care of the problems they face for them.

This isn't how I was brought up and I like EVE for the fact that you have to accept responsibility and stand on your own two feet. The ideas in this thread are about having your hand held when you cross the road. There are rules and a certain level of safeguards in EVE to try and balance things but as soon as it becomes a theme park it will not be fun for a good portion of the current playerbase any more.

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

Plentath
Sparkle Motion.
#136 - 2012-05-24 15:19:26 UTC
Marjolaine Soucie wrote:

You seem to assume the people behind the large famous scams hide. They don't. They're out there revelling in their notoriety. If you want to fight the good fight go gank/wardec/infiltrate the GHSC for the US heist, or whats-his-face from Titans4U.

You're basing your "no repercussions" on flawed assumptions.

Later you mention scamming and botting/RMT in the same sentence. This is very, very wrong. One is explicitly allowed and the other is a bannable offense.

Quote:
1 person taking advantage of another's ignorance shouldn't be tolerated especially since the one who was taken advantage of could not only quit but tell his gamer friends about it which in turn would mean less subscribers

When asked how they heard of EvE, most players will name one of the major scams that hit the mainstream media. You could literally not be more wrong, EvE is alive today because it is a game that allows this.

No one is going to start playing this game because you can mine AFK.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#137 - 2012-05-24 16:17:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Malcanis
"New players" don't have billions. Any player who has made "billions" in EVE has played long enough to know better... and almost certainly taken advantage of a few chumps themselves in their time.

The difference between what we colloquially call a "scam" and simply getting a good deal is frequently merely one of degree. A noob player manages to kill a faction spawn frigate rat on his second day and in his ignorance puts a low-grade Epsilon up for sale at the same price as a +2 Charisma implant, and you buy it. You've made the same profit as you would by selling a Charisma implant as a low-grade Epsilon, at 10% under the lowest contract price, but you're actually more morally reprehensible because you've taken advantage of someone who really might be too new to know better.

Yet we call the first - taking advantage of a new player who is simply ignorant of the value of his find "getting a good deal", whilst the second, fooling a rich older player who got greedy and thought he was taking advantage of you, is a "scam".

What strange days we live in.

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Kyshonuba
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#138 - 2012-05-24 17:05:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyshonuba
Virgil Travis wrote:
The ideas presented in this thread are a prime example of people not wanting to or being unable to accept responsibility for their own actions and wanting someone else to take care of the problems they face for them.

The ideas presented in this thread are examples of ideas which might lead to higher subscriber numbers.

... does CCP really wants Eve Online to grow at the moment at a broader scale ?
.... do the players really want 60 000 people online rather then the 30 000 ?

Isn't CCP is develloping DUST and "World of Darkness" atm ? Seems that Eve do not really have to grow because they are trying to get new customers by develloping 2 other merchandises.
I myself am feeling that eve is rather in the process of being "cleaned up", .... old "dusty" features like faction war and War declaration system being revamped.

If we get the new shiny POSES (togather with some 0-Sec balancing) next year ...... yea that might be an opportunity to rise the subscriber numbers. Cool
Grimolfr Ronuken
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#139 - 2012-05-24 17:08:47 UTC
Bart Wart wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:

Everquest and WOW's PvP opt-out killed UO?

Fixed that for ya.

You're welcome.
Plentath
Sparkle Motion.
#140 - 2012-05-24 17:13:36 UTC
Grimolfr Ronuken wrote:
Bart Wart wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:

Everquest and WOW's PvP opt-out killed UO?

Fixed that for ya.

You're welcome.

Then go back to WoW.

They need people like you, since their subscriber numbers are nose diving. EvE's are going up, and have since Beta, despite people like you claiming "EvE is dying!" for about the past 9 years.