These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP: What are you going to do about the storyline?

First post
Author
Andreus Ixiris
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2012-05-24 01:04:51 UTC
Pres Crendraven wrote:
storyline contracted out to freelance null Alliance writers.

This makes me a sad panda.

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.

Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#42 - 2012-05-24 01:15:17 UTC
Eve need more CCP pod pilots for sure to continue to pull eve forvard,bar dmg control there is not much going on in eve...grief,farm,blob null bears,plex n bots.

Eve can be so much more also only thing cept nerf that could stop people farming inc,s was live events why is that overlooked by CCP boggles me.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

James Syagrius
Luminaire Sovereign Solutions
#43 - 2012-05-24 01:41:05 UTC
Verone wrote:

The whole storyline is in an appalling state after a long period of focus elsewhere.

What he said
Vikarion
Doomheim
#44 - 2012-05-24 07:59:57 UTC
I support the OP.
Rico Minali
Sons Of 0din
Commonwealth Vanguard
#45 - 2012-05-24 08:04:02 UTC
Ziranda Hakuli wrote:
Rico Minali wrote:
I agree, Incursions in hisec go against all roleplaying, lore and storyline stuff. Its stupid.

your idiot if you think that. There is a logical reason why with the lore and the back story of Sansha. he is holding a grudge against the Empire States. Low Sec and 0.0 is just desert for him seeing that most run away from the incursion areas. Just because you think its stupid doesn't mean that there is actually a story behind it. Remember one thing....every story has an ending, reprieve, and then a new enemy.

Have fun kiddies

Dont start an answer by calling someone an idiot, it shows a blatant ignorance in yourself.

I didnt point out Empire for no reason, great stuff, Sansha hates the Empire and assaults it. Yep, no problem with that part of the story. However Concord, the Navy, Faction Police, all these entities just carry on and let it happen, great storyline. Great immersion. Concord who have absolutely awesome weaponry that can blast capsuleers out of teh sky in seconds, jusr let Sansha go about his business. Top.

If however I was to fly in and attack the players running incursions Concord would instwarp in and kill me, tehn just chip about ignoring Sansha's ships totally. Nice one. No really, its the best bit of storytelling in Eve. Ever.

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.

Jowen Datloran
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#46 - 2012-05-24 08:27:33 UTC
This is a good thread.

This is my last post.

Mr. Science & Trade Institute, EVE Online Lorebook 

Gorki Andropov
I Dn't Knw Wht You Wnt Bt I Cn't Gve It Anymre
#47 - 2012-05-24 09:14:42 UTC
Jowen Datloran wrote:

This is my last post.

Yay
Darius Brinn
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2012-05-24 09:19:22 UTC
ErrorRon wrote:
Join nullsec wars and make your own storyline. That's what makes Eve great for me. Players make history. Not devs and writers.

Yes, but the history players make more or less involve things like:

-Allusions to one's mother and her alledged job in the world's oldest profession.
-Being called names of the homoerotic persuasion because you suck/you were lucky/you have friends with you, etc.
-Accusations of crying, whining, carebearing, blobbling, hotdropping, outnumbering, camping, ganking, griefing, sucking and, broadly speaking, being a horrible little person, because you shot them/were shot by them/couldn't shoot them/managed to avoid being shot.

So yes, I wouldn't mind at all if Sansha Kuvakei, or Salvador Sarpati, or Fatal & The Rabbit made an appearance and gave us some backstory to forget about what players are actually doing, when all is said and done.

If that Sansha dude was to implant his cranial thingies inside your standard capsuleer's brain, he could simply push it through an ear, while putting a finger against the other one to avoid the implant from coming out.
Tiberious Thessalonia
True Slave Foundations
#49 - 2012-05-24 11:00:17 UTC
I support this thread. One of the things that drove me to EVE was that it had a story that you could be a part of, which was a back and forth between CCP's content team, and its players.
Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2012-05-24 11:03:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Vera Algaert
I don't care much about EVE RP and think the "real" history of the eve universe is written by its players (which is why retaining bittervets is so important - they provide a sense of continuity and teach new players the history of events that happened years ago).

However, I am not happy with the current state of the eve storyline:

* implementing FW and Incursions was a huge mistake imho as it means the Empyrean Age and Incursions storylines are not allowed to develop.

* the sleeper storyline feels not satisfactory - we were taunted for a very long time that we haven't discovered all that is to discover and that there is some mystery to be uncovered in w-space. As far as I am aware nothing was ever found that met the expectations set by CCP comments.
Initially I thought that introducing the Sansha on top of talocans, sleepers and rogue drones might just be a plot device to overcome this issue (of us players not finding what we were supposed to find - just make Kuvakei find out about it and us notice) but it hasn't lead to any form of resolution as far as I know - it just left a bigger mess.

* the war between the empires is raging on (apparently) but nothing has happened in Caldari Prime for almost four years?
Are the Gallente just happy for Caldari to have it or what?

* I would very much like to see some retconning rgd the Broker and the Enheduanni - find a way to get rid off them (Enheduanni is easy, Broker would be harder). Yeah, sufficiently advanced technology might be indistinguishable from magic but I'd rather have an EVE without that sort of thing.

* It feels like the EVE Universe grows more and more black and white while earlier everything came in shades of grey.
The second novel does try to revert that to some degree (by emphasizing that the pirate factions are not so different from the rest of us and that SoE are certainly no angels) but the Sansha story is a disappointment. Nothing left of the visionary and idealist who rallied people to build an utopian empire, he's just a generic "bad guy" now.
Maybe my recollection of the relevant lore is faulty but before Incursion I wasn't even sure if destroying his nation was justified - or if the empires just used the moral highground as an excuse to destroy what they saw as a potential rival. One would think such questions would resurface when he starts inflicting his revenge...

* My impression is that plot elements like the return of Jamyl Sarum or the rise of Heth were mostly introduced to wow the audience and not because they make a whole lot of sense in developing the eve universe.

Living in a time of big changes can certainly make for an exciting background - but the impact of these changes on the universe is usually not explored at all (events like Jamyl's return or the freeing of slaves must have a huge political and cultural impact - rendering a lot about what we know about the amarr empire moot, yet the gaps created by such events were never filled).

I might be wrong but I feel that between 2003 and 2008 CCP was content with fleshing out the background of the universe. Small story arcs happened (partly in-game via Aurora, partly via the news) but generally the chronicles and short stories concentrated on describing the history/background of the eve universe.

But with Empyrean Age CCP did for some reason decide that things need to be more dynamic and sent the universe storyline into a frenzied and completely erratic tumble. Empyrean Age, Apocrypha, Incursion, ... any semblance of realistic development and consistency is sacrificed for flashiness.
Everything that had developed over the last 100 years (and which CCP had worked so hard for the previous five years to explain to us) is overthrown in four years.

Rodj Blake
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#51 - 2012-05-24 11:06:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Rodj Blake
CCP's favourite buzzword used to be immersion.

I miss those days.

In other news, I asked CCP Unifex about live events (a great way of developing the story) during the recent London meet.

I got the impression that he's not a fan of them. Sad

Dolce et decorum est pro Imperium mori

Himnos Altar
An Errant Venture
#52 - 2012-05-24 11:22:55 UTC
Fredfredbug4 wrote:

Apocrypha: Wormholes and strange drones. Why are wormholes suddenly appearing? Who are the sleepers? CCP tell us!

The best thing though would to make the events in nullsec part of actual EVE lore.

See "Templar One"

granted, it was a small nod to a Capsuleer battle out in Null Sec, but the Northern Coalition WAS mentioned.

it's like page 170....? that sounds a bit early in the book but it's something like that.

Templar One actually does go into quite a bit of detail into the Sleepers. And, IMHO, explains why the WHs opened. No, I'm not going to post spoilers. gonna leave that to someone else.
Jafit
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#53 - 2012-05-24 11:46:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Jafit
Darius Brinn wrote:
ErrorRon wrote:
Join nullsec wars and make your own storyline. That's what makes Eve great for me. Players make history. Not devs and writers.

-Allusions to one's mother and her alledged job in the world's oldest profession.
-Being called names of the homoerotic persuasion because you suck/you were lucky/you have friends with you, etc.
-Accusations of crying, whining, carebearing, blobbling, hotdropping, outnumbering, camping, ganking, griefing, sucking and, broadly speaking, being a horrible little person, because you shot them/were shot by them/couldn't shoot them/managed to avoid being shot.

CCP keeps making trailers about what people get up to in Nullsec. Dominion trailer, I was there, Butterfly Effect... For some reason they don't seem to make trailers about people playing make-believe, dressup, or writing terrible fanfics on the forum. Those who do participate in FW aren't roleplayers, they do it for fun and rewards. Mission runners fight on behalf of NPC empires, but they don't care about defeating 300 simultaneous pirate invasion fleets in Motsu, they just want isk.
Che Biko
Alexylva Paradox
#54 - 2012-05-24 12:08:09 UTC
Supporting this topic because I think CCP still does not understand that they've flipped the RP community the bird with "Incarna" and the years preceding it where features like FW and Incursions were not fully thought/worked out from the RP perspective.

And the new fiction portal is great, but it does not make up for all that.
Paintchk
Facepunch Industries
#55 - 2012-05-24 12:47:58 UTC
Aye. CCP needs to focus on the storyline abit, and with Incursions wrecking the whole thing its seems almost unimportant to them. The only thing you hear most of the time is Incursion reports or attacks with a few different reports. . What CCP could do is assign elected people too operate the storyline or create reports.story;s etc. If you guys think it be a good idea plz reply too me. :)
Andrew Auditore
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2012-05-24 13:14:26 UTC
the problem with having long term consequences of factional warfare is it would innevitably end up being one faction controlling almost all empire space and nullsecers trying to invade empire space, or one faction becoming omni-powerul and taking over the entire EVE universe, i've played games where that has happened and it ruins the whole system
Alain Colcer
Nadire Security Consultants
Federation Peacekeepers
#57 - 2012-05-24 13:18:03 UTC
I don't mind CCP deploying stuff like the Faction Wars, the Sansha Incursions, changes for null-sec or low-sec, or whatever other mechanic is creates deliberately to spur activity in certain areas of the game.

What i do mind, is that the NPC world that exists alongside the player-drive sandbox, stays static and does not react at all to any of these changes.

While the Capsuleers might be the "main" attraction of the show, natural disasters still happen in the universe, government changes and political drama are still part of the everday life on countless worlds. Major improvements on infrastructure or new commerce/trade agreements are important events that boost activity in one corner or another of the universe.

The Galaxy cluster is evolving, it is not a painted backdrop, yes it could be classified as an asset same as nebulas and planets, but it is not static.

Small news items with snippets of info were nice, they added depth.

Live events were nice, they opened the NPC world to the sandbox, but clearly were time consuming for CCP staff.

Chrons, Short stories, novellas, yes they add great adventures and new brushes of paint to the overall picture, but they are told from a "omnipresent viewer". Those are not things that can be referenced in your everiday life as a capsuleer.....

So whats missing? reaction from the worlds, governments and major figures that make this EvE lore so interesting and compelling that people still cling to the idea of roleplaying in it.

The game has been changing for the better since last year, but the storyline has remained stagnat, and in a sandbox, thats not ideal.
N'maro Makari
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#58 - 2012-05-24 15:57:06 UTC  |  Edited by: N'maro Makari
Honestly, it feel to me as if CCP went down the early "immersion" route to fill out a niche and build up a playerbase.

Now they have one, RPers and people who just casually like story driven MMO's just seem to have been treated like a cheap one night stand.

All in all, now they have more business, CCP as a company seems to be getting all Hipster a**hole about itself, and about stroyline and gameplay.

**Vherokior **

Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#59 - 2012-05-24 16:05:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Vera Algaert
Jafit wrote:
CCP keeps making trailers about what people get up to in Nullsec. Dominion trailer, I was there, Butterfly Effect... For some reason they don't seem to make trailers about people playing make-believe, dressup, or writing terrible fanfics on the forum.

Military experts are calling you a newfag.

(there are a few storyline trailers - e.g. the coronation of jamyl or the Malkalen incident; others like the Revelations or Empyrean Age trailers are less about events and address your RP persona more directly)

N'maro Makari
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#60 - 2012-05-24 16:36:43 UTC
Jafit wrote:
Darius Brinn wrote:
ErrorRon wrote:

CCP keeps making trailers about what people get up to in Nullsec. Dominion trailer, I was there, Butterfly Effect... For some reason they don't seem to make trailers about people playing make-believe, dressup, or writing terrible fanfics on the forum. Those who do participate in FW aren't roleplayers, they do it for fun and rewards. Mission runners fight on behalf of NPC empires, but they don't care about defeating 300 simultaneous pirate invasion fleets in Motsu, they just want isk.

The fact that BoB was even allowed to exist as long as it did is case and point as to why Null politics should NOT be EVE's sole selling point.

**Vherokior **