These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Macintosh

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Multiple Clients on the Mac made easy - Introducing the EVE Clonemaker

First post First post First post
Author
GM Karidor
Game Masters
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2011-10-03 18:35:02 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Gangleri
The Mac section of the EVElopedia page for Multiple Clients now also contains instructions for a little tool that we have now made available, the EVE Clonemaker. With this, you should find it a lot easier to set up and use multiple EVE clients on your Mac, with no need to edit config files manually or firing off commands on the terminal.

However, there are some caveats with using this tool which are listed in the EVElopedia article, but I'll spell them out here as well for those that just download it through the link above:

* do not use this tool to create a client copy for use with test servers, see the manual installation instructions for how to set up a client for use with the test server

* only patch the original EVE Online application (with the exception of client updates)! The clones will always be the same version as the original. Patching a clone with anything other than a client update may result in unexpected client behavior and settings loss. Also, the clones will break if you move the original application in any way.

* if you start clients up in quick succession they will stall and only one will launch, so you have to launch a client, let it start up, then next client, etc.

* this tool as provided "as is" and Customer Support will not be able to offer troubleshooting for it.

GM Karidor | Senior Game Master

Ahnkar
Project Creation
#2 - 2011-10-03 18:59:26 UTC
Is this tool also duplicating the Eve Online preference folder, or will each client use the same pref folder?
GM Karidor
Game Masters
C C P Alliance
#3 - 2011-10-03 20:26:15 UTC
Each clone will use its own preferences folder, cache etc. within Application Support and you should find the according folders in there named after whatever name you gave to the clone after its first start up, alongside the "EVE Online" folder of the original.

The existing preferences of the original won't be copied by the tool, meaning that the clone will start with default settings the first time around.

GM Karidor | Senior Game Master

Krispy Dingo
The Gold Angels
Sixth Empire
#4 - 2011-10-03 20:27:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Krispy Dingo
Ahnkar wrote:
Is this tool also duplicating the Eve Online preference folder, or will each client use the same pref folder?

I just ran it, it's just making Symbolic Links like we've been doing for awhile, and it automatically changes the Bundle name to be the same as what you named the clone.

It also makes a complete copy of the ~/Library/Application Support/EVE Online folder.

Excellent work on the script, but you should also make the

~/Library/Application Support/EVE Online Clone 1/p_drive/My Documents/EVE

folder be a symbolic link back to the original

~/Library/Application Support/EVE Online/p_drive/My Documents/EVE

folder to make it easier for people to find logs import and export fittings and overviews.
Rees Noturana
Red Rock Mining Company
#5 - 2011-10-03 20:31:23 UTC
You can read the AppleScript if you do a little digging. Looks like a smart little applet that automates what some of us have been doing by hand and I'll be using it to save time.

Thank you Transgaming!

_ _

Rees Noturana
Red Rock Mining Company
#6 - 2011-10-03 20:35:08 UTC
Krispy Dingo wrote:
Ahnkar wrote:

I just ran it, it's just making Symbolic Links like we've been doing for awhile, and it automatically changes the Bundle name to be the same as what you named the clone.

It also makes a complete copy of the ~/Library/Application Support/EVE Online folder.

Excellent work on the script, but you should also make the

~/Library/Application Support/EVE Online Clone 1/p_drive/My Documents/EVE

folder be a symbolic link back to the original

~/Library/Application Support/EVE Online/p_drive/My Documents/EVE

folder to make it easier for people to find logs import and export fittings and overviews.

Not a bad idea but I like my fittings and Overview folders stored in my Dropbox folder. Then I can share settings them between desktop and laptop. I'll make a note to try and whip up a little utility to do what was done with Transgaming when I have some free time for that.

_ _

Krispy Dingo
The Gold Angels
Sixth Empire
#7 - 2011-10-03 20:39:05 UTC
GM Karidor wrote:
Each clone will use its own preferences folder, cache etc. within Application Support and you should find the according folders in there named after whatever name you gave to the clone after its first start up, alongside the "EVE Online" folder of the original.

The existing preferences of the original won't be copied by the tool, meaning that the clone will start with default settings the first time around.

I made a clone, and everything was copied, from my bassackwards method of getting the client to run at 1280x720, my window locations, my fittings and overview files, my shortcuts (and I have heavily customized them), my graphics settings, it's just like the client I was running 3 hours ago at lunch.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#8 - 2011-10-03 21:35:46 UTC
GM Karidor wrote:

This is exactly why I use the terminal method to run multiple instances of the client. With this clone method every time a patch comes out I got to trash the clones, re-create them, then go through and do all the settings, shortcuts, colors, and overview of each clone. (I triple box). As we get 2 major and maybe 10 minor patches a year (and more client updates, but those do not count for this rant), I find it easier to just run multiple instances.

Unless I can copy the prefs. Can I?

Unless once set up the prefs do not have to be redone with each patch. Will they be preserved, like they are for the main client copy?

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Rees Noturana
Red Rock Mining Company
#9 - 2011-10-03 21:50:31 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
Unless once set up the prefs do not have to be redone with each patch. Will they be preserved, like they are for the main client copy?

The name you provide will be the name of the Application Support directory for that copy. Just provide the same name the next time you recreate the clone and you'll have all the same settings.

I trashed my manual copy and gave the new clone the same bundle name as I had before and it linked right up.

_ _

Rees Noturana
Red Rock Mining Company
#10 - 2011-10-03 21:52:30 UTC
I also highly recommend that your "master" copy have a different name than the default too. If you mess around with sisi at all you'll end up patching and it resets names to default. Name your master something else, including the bundle name, and you'll keep your preferences separate.

_ _

Adrenalinemax
Lap Dancers
Brothers of Tangra
#11 - 2011-10-04 01:49:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Adrenalinemax
I have been using this app for several months and many patches.

With the exception of "Client updates" I update my main client and trash all other clients. Run this program and rename all the extra clients the same name as before and prefs are never touched and each client still uses all the old pref files. It just recreates the new client with symlinks.

Can you do all this yourself manually? Hell yes

Is this little program a heck of a lot easier? Hell Yes

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1568991

Gunther Gabel is me in post #8
Midge Mo'yb
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2011-10-11 13:22:26 UTC
can't you just, copy and paste the app in applications?

thats how i do it and I've not had an issue yet? or am i doing it wrong?
Rees Noturana
Red Rock Mining Company
#13 - 2011-10-11 15:04:40 UTC
Midge Mo'yb wrote:
can't you just, copy and paste the app in applications?

thats how i do it and I've not had an issue yet? or am i doing it wrong?

Yes, you can just duplicate the app and if you modify the info.plist file you won't run into odd crashes as multiple clients attempt to write to the same preferences and cache files. This method saves patching multiple clients and 9GB+ of space for each extra client you have.

_ _

ShalomMF
Yavapai Corporation
#14 - 2011-10-28 13:11:15 UTC
I've got an early 2011 MBP and thinking of signing up for 'Power of 2'. Can anyone comment on the performance when running a second client on an MBP?
Some jezebell
Doomheim
#15 - 2011-12-06 11:29:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Some jezebell
I am happily running dual clients on a 2010 Mac book pro (2.4 Core 2 Duo) with upgraded memory to 4 Gigs on 10.7.2 lion. The eve clone maker (linked previous) does a cracking job and i have had no problems with it so far in 0.0 with small fleet roams.

I initially turned down the graphics to the recommended "performance" default settings on the main screen and it has been running very smoothly. The graphics still look good enough on these settings and it is very playable. I have just turned the shader setting up to medium over the last couple of days (cos I'm a bit of a graphics freak and i like the ships with Decals!!) and so far i have not noticed any major problem with the performance.

If you haven't upgraded your memory yet then i would recommend it because it does make a difference.

i can't recommend the eve clone maker enough.

SJ
Some jezebell
Doomheim
#16 - 2012-01-30 11:16:35 UTC
I dont suppose any of you programming ninja's could do a similar creation tool for a "Sisi" client creator? That would be really handy.

S J
Sbnak Breau
Drusus Tech Enterprises
#17 - 2012-03-13 20:29:57 UTC
This seems to have broken with the new patch.
Sbnak Breau
Drusus Tech Enterprises
#18 - 2012-03-13 20:53:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Sbnak Breau
I hacked together a quick alfred extension to launch eve the "terminal" way.

You type eve 1 or eve 2 (well anything really after eve to give it a unique name)

it will launch a client.

So for instance if you type eve 1

it launches a client

eve 2

it launches a client

eve 1

nothing happens (eve 1 is already running)

eve doggy

it launches a client

You have to clean up manually. When you done launching 600 clients you need to run eve clean, this allows you to reuse IDs.

So,

eve 1
eve 2
eve 3

play horridly confusing 3 clients at once (the terminal way, so be aware)

and then close eves

eve clear

Pretty simple, and it stays out of the way. If you using something besides alfred you can use the same basic idea you just need to package it for your launcher.

And it's set up so running "eve" in alfred does not conflict with "eve 1", so if you only some times run multipul clients or use alfred as a task switcher, thats fine too.

[Heres the extension I used the eve online icns from the game folder. CCP, if you have a problem with that let me know and I will pull it out.
LinaSlice KANGAHobothe1
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2012-03-14 02:19:47 UTC
The link to clone program in post #1 does not work. The link works, the clone program fails at last step. However the clone program downloaded from EVE wiki site works fine.

They were different files names also. File from post #1 was rev2.zip and one from eve wiki is rev4.zip.
Trebor Daehdoow
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-03-15 22:30:17 UTC
I can confirm that the current clonemaker linked in the wiki works with Crucible 1.5

In fact, given the changes to the internal structure of the Eve Online.app file I would strongly recommend using Clonemaker in preference to manual patching. If you do, only the main install will use the Launcher; the cloned installs will launch the client directly.

One minor issue with clonemaker is that it doesn't support creating clones with arbitrary preference folder names (ie: if you create an "eve online-1.app" clone, the preferences folder will be set to .../Library/Application Support/eve online-1.app

I have tweaked the clonemaker so you can specify a different preferences folder if you like (clonemaker is an applescript app). You can find the tweaked version in my public dropbox.

Use at your own risk, of course!

Private Citizen • CSM in recovery

123Next page