These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ship colors getting worse with every patch... :-(

Author
Erim Solfara
House of Solfara
#61 - 2012-05-23 19:09:59 UTC
I'm going to agree with the general sentiment here. There is a noticable improvement in sharpness/detail on some ships, but T1, Viziam, and Carthum ships are WAY too dark, and not saturated enough. Dulling down the red a LITTLE might've been ok, but this is actually just brown now.

Secondly, what the HELL was the reason for the Khanid ship change?! The COOLEST looking ships in the game have lost their all-black stealth look, for what reason?!

I like the V3 tech, I just don't like the dulling down of the colours, and in Khanid's case, the extra shiny that was absolutely not needed.

The art direction in EVE does seem to be getting more generic with each technology upgrade. I'm still bitter that the new character creator is nowhere NEAR as sci-fi as the old one.

Why do we have characters that look like people you'd see on the street? It's ~40,000 years in the future if I remember my backstory, and each of the races has an entire tear down and rebuild of society since our world.

Eve should be pushing forwards to a MORE sci-fi and unique look, and it's losing that. I just hope it's not policy, and it's just accidental erosion. If it IS policy, it's idiotic.
Lyron-Baktos
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#62 - 2012-05-23 19:18:41 UTC
I just don't see how anyone can look at the before and after pics of the Guardian and say the new style is not dull. I mean, how can you even call it red anymore?
Einar Skaldakimbi
A.S.K
#63 - 2012-05-23 19:19:31 UTC
It is about spaceships!
We learn skills for ages, we work/cheat/steal hard to collect the ISK to buy it and then, finally, we have it, --- our cool ship.
We give it a name, we spin it, we make screen shots when we leave station.

And here you go and you change the look of our ship. Seriously, what were you thinking...
Jarne
Increasing Success by Lowering Expectations
#64 - 2012-05-23 20:00:41 UTC
Markus Reese wrote:
Anybody who thinks they look dull or washed out either have garbage monitors, or really messed up settings. To me they look bright and vibrant. Especially the Absolution. Also most people are tarts and only go by the dull and unlit preview window, until you get it into space, don't comment on them since with the sunlight and nebulas, they are WOW!

Do you have a screenshot of your Absolution? I'll take back everything I have said if it is as you stated...
Lyron-Baktos
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2012-05-23 20:08:25 UTC
whats funny is the old Guardian looks great in that same dull and dark preview window. I've looked at both screenshots on my home PC, my work PC and my cell phone and the old Guardian looks great on all 3 while the new Guardian looks like **** on all 3
Erim Solfara
House of Solfara
#66 - 2012-05-23 20:27:57 UTC
Jarne wrote:
Markus Reese wrote:
Anybody who thinks they look dull or washed out either have garbage monitors, or really messed up settings. To me they look bright and vibrant. Especially the Absolution. Also most people are tarts and only go by the dull and unlit preview window, until you get it into space, don't comment on them since with the sunlight and nebulas, they are WOW!

Do you have a screenshot of your Absolution? I'll take back everything I have said if it is as you stated...

Just took one for you: http://i.imgur.com/MwRCv.jpg
Barbelo Valentinian
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2012-05-23 20:29:46 UTC
Erim Solfara wrote:

Eve should be pushing forwards to a MORE sci-fi and unique look, and it's losing that. I just hope it's not policy, and it's just accidental erosion. If it IS policy, it's idiotic.

Sadly, it is policy. IIRC there were several videos a year or two ago where they talked about the previous art design being too "goofy" or something, and they literally were canvassing s-f movies for what they supposed would be a better look.

Yes, it's idiotic, but there you go.
Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#68 - 2012-05-23 20:33:50 UTC
Jarne wrote:
It started with the "improvement" of ship (shader) models in what was called the "premium client" back then. All T1 Caldari ships got the same boring blue, all Gallente ships got that TERRIBLE highly-toxic-waste-green, etc.. I still hate the Gallente T1 style.

Nice T2 hulls like the Phobos got their colors totally washed out (I really liked the "classic" pink!). Also the Ishkur, Ishtar, and so on.

Now it hit the nicest (IMO) of all T2 ship hulls, and it hit them badly: Paladin, Absolution, Retribution. Did I forget one of those lovely ships patterned in gold and blood? Now the blood has dried, and it stinks :-(.

Edit: I totally forgot the Guardian, the Crusader and the Pilgrim, well and the Ark I think...

To make it worse, the nice Redeemer green is hardly a green anymore o.O.

Anybody else dislikes where this is going?

On the plus side, I really liked (and still like) the new Navy Geddon and Apocalypse painting. The new Damnation is also pretty awesome.

Yup, isn't it ironic, each time CCP improves a models graphic, they screw up the colours.

I used to think the classic Arazu was the best looking ship in the game, and the Heretic.. and the reason I created Misanth was to fly the beautiful Amarr ships. Now they all look bland and ugly. Models might be more 'nice', but the colours on every damn ship in this game has gotten more and more ugly over the years, not a single one has improved, almost exclusively the other route..

AFK-cloaking in a system near you.

Lyron-Baktos
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#69 - 2012-05-23 20:39:02 UTC
Barbelo Valentinian wrote:
Erim Solfara wrote:

Sadly, it is policy. IIRC there were several videos a year or two ago where they talked about the previous art design being too "goofy" or something, and they literally were canvassing s-f movies for what they supposed would be a better look.

Yes, it's idiotic, but there you go.

This is what I believe. They are trying to get away from ships being very bright and shiny and making them more "real" looking. I just think they took it too far. Even if ships in real life do look like crap as they are beaten up and covered in space dust, this is a game. We don't have to have it that way.
Jorma Morkkis
State War Academy
Caldari State
#70 - 2012-05-23 20:47:22 UTC
Erim Solfara wrote:
Secondly, what the HELL was the reason for the Khanid ship change?! The COOLEST looking ships in the game have lost their all-black stealth look, for what reason?!

Why start raging now? Sacrilege was changed a very long time ago.
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#71 - 2012-05-23 20:55:01 UTC
Lyron-Baktos wrote:
I just don't see how anyone can look at the before and after pics of the Guardian and say the new style is not dull. I mean, how can you even call it red anymore?

Spoiler: The Guardian has always been butt-ugly, no matter what colour.

I for one like the changes, much more details, most Amarr ships look a lot more "baroque" and decadent now...yay!

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#72 - 2012-05-23 21:00:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Corina Jarr
All you who don't like the sexy Amarr paint are heretics and shall be banished to slave status!!!

//end RP moment

I love the new colors for the Amarr T2 ships (and Carthem is still red, not brown). T1... a little darker than I would like but I'll live.

Edit: what is up with the lights of doom on the Prophecy hulls?
Yerik Locke
Silver.
#73 - 2012-05-23 22:42:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Yerik Locke
Sinooko wrote:
ShockedWhat happened to my Absolution?
XIt used to be shiny blood red with gold highlights now it's **** brown with gold highlights!
EvilI look upon my Ark with trepidation...

On the contrary, I rather like the new style. The colors go much better together; they're subtle, darker, and more bad-ass. The old red and "gold" was extremely gaudy. On top of that, they weren't even gold, but a pukey green-yellow. The current Ark, for example.

Gotta say, this is finally becoming the deadly royal warship I signed up for:

This,
this,, and
THIS.

<3

This, my friends, is the old abso.

Tell me again how the new one isn't better?

Edit:

In response to Corina Jarr: The prophecy hull actually used to have distinct "eyes." You can kind of see them here. The Trinity graphics update homogenized them [I cried] but I'm glad to see their return; they add a certain personality to the ship.
Algol Bailiwick
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#74 - 2012-05-23 22:49:38 UTC
Likewise, I can't get enough of spinning my V3 Retribution.

I can understand where people are coming from with the T1 hulls but Carthum looks great. And Blood Raider ships look like they've just been joyriding over a crowded sidewalk.
Sinooko
Tharumec
Gespenster Kompanie
#75 - 2012-05-24 00:46:18 UTC
Markus Reese wrote:
Sinooko wrote:
XIt used to be shiny blood red with gold highlights now it's **** brown with gold highlights!

Absolution looks awesome

Blood raiders no longer have symetrical staining. Acually look bloody.

Ark has an amazing sheen.

Sinooko wrote:
Algol Bailiwick wrote:
I know you're all a bunch of forum alts but try undocking one before you complain. The preview window lacks decent lighting.

Ohanka wrote:
I like the new amarr ship colours.

maybe you guys should stop playing on low graphics settings.

I did undock, and I am on max graphics and it's still **** brown.

Sinooko
Tharumec
Gespenster Kompanie
#76 - 2012-05-24 00:57:36 UTC
Yerik Locke wrote:
Sinooko wrote:

On the contrary, I rather like the new style. The colors go much better together; they're subtle, darker, and more bad-ass. The old red and "gold" was extremely gaudy. On top of that, they weren't even gold, but a pukey green-yellow. The current Ark, for example.

Gotta say, this is finally becoming the deadly royal warship I signed up for:

This,
this,, and
THIS.

<3

This, my friends, is the old abso.

Tell me again how the new one isn't better?

Edit:

In response to Corina Jarr: The prophecy hull actually used to have distinct "eyes." You can kind of see them here. The Trinity graphics update homogenized them [I cried] but I'm glad to see their return; they add a certain personality to the ship.

The new one isn't better.
Yerik Locke
Silver.
#77 - 2012-05-24 01:14:38 UTC
I guess if that's your preference. I will, however, fight you for the new ... every step of the way. ;)
Sinooko
Tharumec
Gespenster Kompanie
#78 - 2012-05-24 01:59:45 UTC
Mmk, Links to vids displaying new and old.

Old
http://www.xfire.com/video/557583/
With epic music and blood red armor plating.

New
http://www.xfire.com/video/574998/
No sound, (XFIre was bugged), and **** brown armor.

I concede that the graphics are more detailed and that the new missile effects gave me an e-hardon the likes of which was only recreated when I heard Mechwarrior Online is going into beta soonish.
Yerik Locke
Silver.
#79 - 2012-05-24 02:15:34 UTC
I definitely see what you're saying about the browns. What's odd is that the reds on my ship show up as more of a dark magenta, like an "old blood" sort of color. I would guess that it's just the system you're in making your ship brown; CCP did say that the new shaders were designed to reflect the environment more than the previous ones.

That's why the Viziam ships' greens are almost absent in certain systems, and very apparent in others. It's unfortunate, but overall leads to a more immersive experience [in my opinion.] I guess I'd liken it to the atmospheric effects in most newer shooters. In certain settings [and at greater distances,] detail is obscured by the "atmosphere," but it adds to the overall effect of making it more lifelike.

Personally I like this, there's nothing that bothers me more [graphics-wise] than objects that don't blend with their environments. If they don't blend visually, it doesn't feel like they're even a part of it. As a kid, it always annoyed me about cartoons, too. You could TELL an object was going to move even before it did, because the moving objects are always much brighter and less detailed than the static environment.

Sinooko
Tharumec
Gespenster Kompanie
#80 - 2012-05-24 02:57:35 UTC
You know what that DOES look magenta, and I see your point about fitting into the environment, but I trained an ark based on the blood red stripe going down the back. Same reason you might buy a viper with a red stripe. Imagine if then a neighborhood car paint detailer, the best in the world mind you, came buy and "fixed" yer stripe making it magenta. You spent all the time and finance buying a car with a cherry red stripe and some jerk thought it looked better in magenta and now yer stuck with it. That's where I'm coming from.