These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I really Know why Eve don't get more Players....

Author
Dethbringer1
NoWar4Me
#61 - 2012-05-23 20:30:14 UTC
Bart Wart wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:
See what killed UO, then post again.

Everquest and WOW killed UO?

What is UO?
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#62 - 2012-05-23 20:31:11 UTC
I beg to differ with the OP.

I don't think it's PVP overall. PVP in this game keeps as many people in it as it does to keep out. I have only known total carebear types - the ones who purposely want everything to be easy and to have a progressive shot at all content - quit the game because of PVP.

What I think keeps people out is the mechanics of the game that creates funnels that force people into PVP in such manner that they are at a disadvantage from the start.

I refer to the gate mechanics and gate camps plus the blob mechanics resulting from this.

Fact is, there is a "Great wall of Carebear" that is keeping people away from most of the universe, and so players can choose to become bored high sec grinders or 0.0 renter/slaves - and grind in 0.0 all the same in almost the same level of safety.

People will enjoy the game if they can get a chance at more content without having to join a 0.0 corp and deal with nerd rage and drama. When I say chance, I refer to something more than 70 percent where if you jump 10 gates, even with map intel, 3 of them will have a bubble right on top of it.

Now I can hear it "get an alt scout loser! Go back to WoW!11 blah blah".

Well the "real" player, the ones who don't stay, will see this as a game where "Ok, so in order to survive, I have to now get a second account and pay for that - or grind my head off for PLEX meaning I don't get time to use the scout anyway. This is a scam". So they move on.

And I must add that they encounter those who brag about their numerous alts for this and that. I see posts from such people all of the time and I have to say that the more discriminating player see such players - proud to pay a lot or grind a lot for all those "needed" account - as total suckers who brag in order to cover up the fact they are really suckers.

Whether or not this is true does not matter if that's how it looks.

In the meantime, I can WH jump to deep nulll and not see another ship for WEEKS and only because of the gate mechanic and the "kill everything that moves" mentality.

Gate mechanics promote this. SOV mechanics promote it. I witness this every time I sneak out to 0.0 (and not using gates, I have yet to lose a ship but I have been close to losing one, you see a CHANCE to lose, not a definite conclusion using the mechanics of worm holes).

But we also miss the other side of the equation. What kind of game is it to sit on a gate all day? This is probably just as bad as mining all day. We can malign the semi-AFK miner but I really doubt that the people sitting on a gate so long that the map stats make it look like there is no camp there are not semi-AFK either. And like and ISK snatcher who will blitz VGs 9 hours a day the gate camper who can tolerate all day camping is probably just as messed up in the head. These people are not really playing EvE. This could become a swords and sorcery game tomorrow through some twisted storyline twist and these same people will be doing the same thing except camping "portals" and blitzing instances.

Eliminate gates or the need for them and let ships dial in a system to system warp - just like our more well known sci-fi series - and this truly becomes a universe. The blob is replaced by the combat patrol, and the bubble is replaced by the combat probe. No more great wall of carebear and those who like to sit on gates or grind in high sec all day - the former who like to tell us to adapt or die (those who grind in high sec have adapted, knuckleheads) especially - will have to adapt or die.

In summation, the mechanics have allowed a certain mindset to make the EvE universe a very small place while allowing those who "adapt" to that to become very bored grinders eventually. Eliminate the need for gates, and everybody can go anywhere (mechanics of interstellar warp aside) and take CHANCES instead of dying in a fire or having to go to those running the fire and sit around all day waiting to make someone else die in a fire.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#63 - 2012-05-23 20:33:45 UTC
Dethbringer1 wrote:
Have I done PVP? No

Then why are you offering up opinions and proposals about it?

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#64 - 2012-05-23 20:34:12 UTC
New Coke(tm) for everyone!
In fact, let's make New Coke(tm) taste *just* like its closest competitor too, whilst we're at it!

There. I think that sums up my reaction to the OP pretty thoroughly.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Sir John Halsey
#65 - 2012-05-23 20:39:08 UTC
alittlebirdy wrote:
TLDR we found out anyways the servers can't deal with many more people

Also I've is not used how you think it is.

And that is a problem coming from lack of real life $$.

More people playing => more $$ => better hardware, more developers, hopefully better QA and better optimization, better support.

Now, don't get me wrong... drop the concord from high sec and i'll still be happy playing this game.
Problem is, most of the people leave after loosing everything a few times in a row => less $$, not enough developers, QA, support, old hardware, etc.
The Seraph
Ops Corp
#66 - 2012-05-23 20:40:42 UTC  |  Edited by: The Seraph
I didn't read it all either. If your a CEO of an IT company then why give CCP ideas? write a better game and market it and profiteer off something you love, which brings me to pvp. In my opinion PVP in eve is the highest evolution of PVP in any game out there ,unless Qween is fcing.

I only read this because of the patch.

Oh poo its a big patch Shocked
Savage Angel
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2012-05-23 20:42:55 UTC
Ituhata Saken wrote:
Savage Angel wrote:
If you have to give up your soul to gain a few subs, what have you really gained?

You say that as if EvE has a soul! Shocked

Eve has a soul.

Now the majority of players is another matter entirely.
Sir John Halsey
#68 - 2012-05-23 20:51:53 UTC
FeralShadow wrote:
I think we can all agree that if Eve were to become a popular game without compromising it's core concepts that it would only be a good thing.

The problem is, how can you ever make someone totally safe without them negatively affecting someone else?

Easy actually :)

Use the game trial as noob protection.
As long as you are in trial period and in high-sec you can't be shot.... unless you shoot first.
Go out of high sec, you are fair game for every one.
Your trial period expired, you are fair game for every one.

Use faction based security status so, if you have low status in a faction => you can't enter that faction space using the gates only from WHs.
Example: if you have Caldari -2.0 ... -10 you can't use the gates to enter in Caldari space or dock on bases if you enter via WHs.

This will give high sec some security but you will still be able to shoot every one in high sec if you found a WH going there.

The problem is CCP not the players :)
They created Concord.
Savage Angel
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#69 - 2012-05-23 21:02:41 UTC
Sir John Halsey wrote:
FeralShadow wrote:
I think we can all agree that if Eve were to become a popular game without compromising it's core concepts that it would only be a good thing.

The problem is, how can you ever make someone totally safe without them negatively affecting someone else?

As long as you are in trial period and in high-sec you can't be shot.... unless you shoot first.

Use faction based security status so, if you have low status in a faction => you can't enter that faction space using the gates only from WHs.
Example: if you have Caldari -2.0 ... -10 you can't use the gates to enter in Caldari space or dock on bases if you enter via WHs.

This will give high sec some security but you will still be able to shoot every one in high sec if you found a WH going there.

They created Concord.

Grace periods do not matter. The fact of Eve is that you will lose stuff. When a player comes up against that, they are either the kind of person that can accept it or not. Most every game out there caters to those who cannot accept loss. Eve doesn't.

ErrorRon
Turbo-Encabulator LLC
#70 - 2012-05-23 21:07:35 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
ShahFluffers wrote:
Dethbringer1 wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
TIL killing a battleship with a frigate is boring, and killing a frigate with a Tengu is entertaining.

what is TIL.... no killing a bs with a frig may be fun but would take so long... I would loose interest... making the kill would be a lot of fun but like fishing would be an hour of bordom for 1 sec of excitment.

It takes less than a minute for 20 gank-fit Rifters to destroy a well-fit battleship.

It took about 10-15 minutes for two T1-fit Rifters to kill a dual-tanked battleship, with one of us running out of ammo in the meantime, and it was great fun all the way, between taking care of drones, mocking him, and attempting to ransom him off.

That reminds me of the Megathron vs iteron on YouTube. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtItWL6GfSM CCP Gargant -  Dev of my heart.

Ituhata Saken
Killboard Padding Services
#71 - 2012-05-23 21:11:52 UTC
Savage Angel wrote:
Ituhata Saken wrote:
Savage Angel wrote:
If you have to give up your soul to gain a few subs, what have you really gained?

You say that as if EvE has a soul! Shocked

Eve has a soul.

Now the majority of players is another matter entirely.

Touche' P

So close...

Prince Golem
Perkone
Caldari State
#72 - 2012-05-23 21:14:00 UTC
Devious Relation
Obsessive Compulsive Disasters
#73 - 2012-05-23 21:14:36 UTC
I....... think we had that for a short period of time. Incursions were, fun, very sociable and very PVE oriented.

But then the whiners and shin kickers - yes thats all eve pvp is, a shin kicking contest and whoever has the larger boots wins- Moaned and CCP nerfed it to a extent where alot of people jsut dont bother anymore.

I'm not sure if CCP want to stay with its current loyal fanbase, which will overtime dwindle, or take a risk and maybe develop the game for the masses, and let a few hardcore shinkickers maybe suck it and see ^^
Sir John Halsey
#74 - 2012-05-23 21:15:04 UTC
Savage Angel wrote:
Sir John Halsey wrote:
FeralShadow wrote:

They created Concord.

Grace periods do not matter. The fact of Eve is that you will lose stuff. When a player comes up against that, they are either the kind of person that can accept it or not. Most every game out there caters to those who cannot accept loss. Eve doesn't.

Probably doesn't matter but those two weeks will let the player learn a thing or two about the game before they become griefer's targets :)

As i said, is CCPs fault for implementing Concord and give players that sense of security in high sec which actually doesn't exists the second you have something valuable on your ship :P
Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#75 - 2012-05-23 21:18:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Zifrian
I agree with the OP if the goal is to get more players. Maybe CCP doesn't want that but in the MMO world, PVE is much larger than pvp, that's just reality. If you need proof, look at wow. Actually, just look at high sec. People like to do what they want to do and not be bothered by things the don't.

I played dark age of camelot tons before coming to eve. The parallels are striking for how similar the games are. Daoc had a safe zone to PVE, then you went to the frontier to pvp. Sound familiar? Eve is a bit different though in that highsec really isn't safe and when you "die" you lose items. Most mmos got rid of this a long time ago.

But I think the detail to eve really should bring in more players but the lack of interesting PVE content (without pretty landscapes you need this), lack of challenges that take multiple players (high sec plexes can be solo'd in a cruiser), and the death penalty are really keeping this a niche game. Hope it changes personally.

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Elzon1
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#76 - 2012-05-23 21:22:25 UTC
I see the optimal solution to PVP being too scary is to adjust PVE in a way that it is as close to being PVP as possible.

I think the devs kind of like the idea and will do such things in the future as they have time and resources to spend on something such as this.

We shall see for the future.

But for now...HTFU...
Calfis
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#77 - 2012-05-23 21:24:13 UTC
Sir John Halsey wrote:

As i said, is CCPs fault for implementing Concord and give players that sense of security in high sec which actually doesn't exists the second you have something valuable on your ship :P

This was intentional, don't tell anyone you know. Blink
Savage Angel
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#78 - 2012-05-23 21:27:08 UTC
Sir John Halsey wrote:

Probably doesn't matter but those two weeks will let the player learn a thing or two about the game before they become griefer's targets :)

That is a huge over statement. I have been ganked in Hisec exactly once with two accounts - lost a retriever. I have shipped around 100M at a time in an Itty, sometimes more, and have mined, missioned, explored, ice mined, and played with Sim Planet. To stay safe is pretty simple - don't rise to bait and don't ship a huge value of stuff all at once.

Most newbies die from reacting to the can flipper or stick their nose into low sec or a WH. All of which has mommy telling them not to when they do it. Or maybe they ignore the warning when taking shiny stuff from a can marked "Free Stuff" (the poetic justice there is just too much).

I have never encountered a roving gang of vets out to blow up newbs at all costs. Kill Hulks? Sure. A hulk is not a newb ship. Pirate a cargo worth a billion on the way through a known pirate system to Jita? Yep. But then what is a newb doing with a billion in stuff?

A bit of education and restraint in hisec and it is quite a safe area.
Maximille Biagge
Hydra Eternal
#79 - 2012-05-23 21:27:43 UTC
Holy wall of text batman. Not gonna read it all but i saw "pvp" in bold so i'm going to assume you are here to moan because someone blew you up.

guess what?

Deal with it.

Elzon1
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#80 - 2012-05-23 21:47:03 UTC
Maximille Biagge wrote:
Deal with it.

We need a EVE themed monocle version of "deal with it" in this thread ASAP!!! Lol