These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I really Know why Eve don't get more Players....

Author
Ituhata Saken
Killboard Padding Services
#21 - 2012-05-23 19:13:14 UTC
Savage Angel wrote:
If you have to give up your soul to gain a few subs, what have you really gained?

You say that as if EvE has a soul! Shocked

So close...

Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#22 - 2012-05-23 19:13:43 UTC
See what killed UO, then post again.

The Tears Must Flow

Malice Redeemer
Kenshin.
Fraternity.
#23 - 2012-05-23 19:13:59 UTC
Dethbringer1 wrote:
Terranid Meester wrote:
Obligatory go play WoW comment.

I was always thinking WOW is for geeks but it's looking better every day lol. Not really. I'd go star trek online first then prolly battlefield 1942.

Please do, wow is so freaking boring and safe, you will be just right at home. there are PVP servers, but when you die, nothing happens so no worries.
Dethbringer1
NoWar4Me
#24 - 2012-05-23 19:14:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Dethbringer1
Mina Hiragi wrote:
tl;kr

The core of EVE is non-consensual PVP.

Remove that - as you suggest - and the game is dead. End of story. You cannot remove the core of an MMO without killing it. It doesn't matter what whizbang shiny Hello Kitty ideas you're going to bring in that will purportedly lead to billions of happy fluffy campers.

The field is littered with the bodies of MMOs that have tried altering their core nature, and have died as a result.

Also EVE needs more Hello Kitty. I can haz Chococat insignia on my Rifters?

You miss the point... I only suggested not letting 50m sp player gank 1m sp players. If EVE survival depends on 50m sp characters ganking 1m sp character..... Eve is already dead.... or just plain lame as can be.

Seriously... If you get your rocks off killing noobs with a 50m sp character you must be that 40 year old dude in your mothers basement like in southpark!
Ryoken McKeon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#25 - 2012-05-23 19:14:09 UTC
Dethbringer1 wrote:
Terranid Meester wrote:
Obligatory go play WoW comment.

I was always thinking WOW is for geeks but it's looking better every day lol. Not really. I'd go star trek online first then prolly battlefield 1942.

He thinks WoW is for geeks....while playing internet 'spreadsheet' spaceships.
killorbekilled TBE
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2012-05-23 19:14:41 UTC
Christopher AET wrote:
www.hellokittyonline.com

yeah that's right i clicked it, don't look at me with those judging eyes

AFK for a shower to wash the shame off

:)

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#27 - 2012-05-23 19:15:49 UTC
Dethbringer1 wrote:
EVE is truely a PVE game NOT a PVP game! Why else do I have to kill 4,000 battleships to replace my tengu???? True PVP games do not make you work for a week to die once. Anyone who thinks this is a PVP based game is a moron!!! Yeah my character has 50m sp. Lets go gank some miners and noob mission runner corps.... This game is about PVE and Griefing Primarily... everything else is secondary.... As long as you have a game where someone with 6 years of sp can freely kill players with 1 month of sp.... you will have a hard time recruiting new players... Oh wait they can't freely kill. They have to pay 2m first... ROTFLMFAO. I make that in 20 secs! A noob takes a week to make that lol... Seriously. I know nothing about programming but let me throw out a few suggestions. How bout making a character with 1m sp immune to players with 50m sp.... how bout making a sp system like they had in Runescape. The farther you go into low sec the bigger the sp difference can be... There is no love for noobs in eve so I think this games days are truely numbered.

You could kill 10 battleships to replace 20 ships, you know. 20 ships that can still kill stuff (first PvP kill of that person's). Screw Tengus.

You are an idiot and a buffoon who does not know what PvP means or get that Eve is a sandbox. Stop talking.

@OP: Pulling Eve's focus away from PvP would kill player interaction based on opposition, which is a core tenet of Eve. Doing that would pull it closer to being in direct competition with WoW, which it just cannot stand up to in polish and PvE. It may garner more newbies for a bit, but other games that are made for the niche it is invading would pass it, and it would lose all of its old players -- likely resulting in its death. Eve is fine where it is now.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Rico Minali
Sons Of 0din
Commonwealth Vanguard
#28 - 2012-05-23 19:17:21 UTC
Id love to see more players. Adding NON PVP areas isnt teh way to do it. Why?

I am a pvper, its what I do. However liek all pvpers I need isk I also pay to play using in game plex for isk. So I need isk ALOT. For teh most part I have to take time out of pvping to make my isk, I dont want to, but it is necessary. Where am I going with this?

I also utilise a hisec mining toon, I stick that toon in teh safest sytem I can and I afk mine whenever I am at home, on my (bad) laptop while the kids ar runnign around, while I watch movies, while I do housework. AFK, checking in every 10 mins or so to see if i need to empty the ore.

Where do you think I would do this is there were NON PVP areas? Where would EVERYONE IN HISEC do everything they do? That is why it cant be done.

If there ever was a non pvp area created it needs to be such low income that people dont want to be there, which would defeat the point I believe. There must not be 'safe' income.

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.

Dethbringer1
NoWar4Me
#29 - 2012-05-23 19:19:06 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Dethbringer1 wrote:
EVE is truely a PVE game NOT a PVP game! Why else do I have to kill 4,000 battleships to replace my tengu???? True PVP games do not make you work for a week to die once. Anyone who thinks this is a PVP based game is a moron!!! Yeah my character has 50m sp. Lets go gank some miners and noob mission runner corps.... This game is about PVE and Griefing Primarily... everything else is secondary.... As long as you have a game where someone with 6 years of sp can freely kill players with 1 month of sp.... you will have a hard time recruiting new players... Oh wait they can't freely kill. They have to pay 2m first... ROTFLMFAO. I make that in 20 secs! A noob takes a week to make that lol... Seriously. I know nothing about programming but let me throw out a few suggestions. How bout making a character with 1m sp immune to players with 50m sp.... how bout making a sp system like they had in Runescape. The farther you go into low sec the bigger the sp difference can be... There is no love for noobs in eve so I think this games days are truely numbered.

You could kill 10 battleships to replace 20 ships, you know. 20 ships that can still kill stuff (first PvP kill of that person's). Screw Tengus.

You are an idiot and a buffoon who does not know what PvP means or get that Eve is a sandbox. Stop talking.

@OP: Pulling Eve's focus away from PvP would kill player interaction based on opposition, which is a core tenet of Eve. Doing that would pull it closer to being in direct competition with WoW, which it just cannot stand up to in polish and PvE. It may garner more newbies for a bit, but other games that are made for the niche it is invading would pass it, and it would lose all of its old players -- likely resulting in its death. Eve is fine where it is now.

What the hell would i want to fly a 20k frig when I can fly bs's and stategic cruisers.. anything you can kill with a frig is just plain boring as hell.
Beef Knuckleback
Pawnstars INC
#30 - 2012-05-23 19:20:25 UTC
Many combat-oriented PVPers seem to have a dim view of PVE activities and carebears in general. What combat pilots and PVE-focused players both seem to forget is that combat PVP and almost all forms of PVE hinge on the market - ships, modules, ammo, the ability to make isk from the sale of loot... the market is PVP in its purest form. The second you buy something or put up a sell order you're engaged in PVP. Whenever you buy a ship or re-arm - whenever you buy anything from anybody - it's PVP. There may be no killmails, there may be less wagging of e-peens, but even the most highsec-hugging ninja-hating carebear is in it up to his neck rather he knows it or not, rather he likes it or not.

Arrow The fact is if you want to profit in this game you're doing it at somebody's expense - the objective is to make the expense theirs.
Ryoken McKeon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#31 - 2012-05-23 19:21:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Ryoken McKeon
Dethbringer1 wrote:
Mina Hiragi wrote:
tl;kr

The core of EVE is non-consensual PVP.

Remove that - as you suggest - and the game is dead. End of story. You cannot remove the core of an MMO without killing it. It doesn't matter what whizbang shiny Hello Kitty ideas you're going to bring in that will purportedly lead to billions of happy fluffy campers.

The field is littered with the bodies of MMOs that have tried altering their core nature, and have died as a result.

Also EVE needs more Hello Kitty. I can haz Chococat insignia on my Rifters?

You miss the point... I only suggested not letting 50m sp player gank 1m sp players. If EVE survival depends on 50m sp characters ganking 1m sp character..... Eve is already dead.... or just plain lame as can be.

Seriously... If you get your rocks off killing noobs with a 50m sp character you must be that 40 year old dude in your mothers basement like in southpark!

You clearly don't know ANYTHING about this game that you play. Do something for me:

Come up with whatever change you want that will prevent '50m sp players from killing 1m sp players'

Brainstorm on ALL effects that this would have on the entire EVE population, from 0.0 alliances to WH corps to pirates. Everyone. How would what you propose effect EVERYONE? You are just not even looking at the bigger picture. EVE is more than high sec carebears vs. high sec griefers.
Kyle Yanowski
Malevelon Roe Industries
Convocation of Empyreans
#32 - 2012-05-23 19:21:46 UTC
Feller,

CCP is sticking with a certain target market, one that has fed the growth eve online and CCP since the games inception. The market, I'm sure, was pinpointed after research. Lots of research.

The market, is the 28-38 male age group. The market further splits into PVP and Carebare sub groups. The balance between the two markets makes eve what it is today.

I don't want my universe flooded with more of either sub group, or gasp, some new market demographic.

Look at incarna, it tried to market eve to an entiely new demographic... an untapped market.... and see how that played out.

cheers.

-ski

Host of the High Drag Eve Online Podcast ( http://highdrag.wordpress.com). Director of Aideron Robotics.

Dethbringer1
NoWar4Me
#33 - 2012-05-23 19:21:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Dethbringer1
Rico Minali wrote:
Id love to see more players. Adding NON PVP areas isnt teh way to do it. Why?

I am a pvper, its what I do. However liek all pvpers I need isk I also pay to play using in game plex for isk. So I need isk ALOT. For teh most part I have to take time out of pvping to make my isk, I dont want to, but it is necessary. Where am I going with this?

I also utilise a hisec mining toon, I stick that toon in teh safest sytem I can and I afk mine whenever I am at home, on my (bad) laptop while the kids ar runnign around, while I watch movies, while I do housework. AFK, checking in every 10 mins or so to see if i need to empty the ore.

Where do you think I would do this is there were NON PVP areas? Where would EVERYONE IN HISEC do everything they do? That is why it cant be done.

If there ever was a non pvp area created it needs to be such low income that people dont want to be there, which would defeat the point I believe. There must not be 'safe' income.

You can mine in missions. So 1000 players could really get their own belts to mine. You dont have to fight over the same belts.

Also if you have an account with a lot of mining skills you will have the sp that would make you a target to gankers so its not really relevant to my statement. I never said no pvp in an area. Just limiting it to players who are closer to the same skill lvl. Spreadsheet spaceships lol wtf.
BearJews
Order of Extrodinary Gentlemen
#34 - 2012-05-23 19:22:18 UTC
I've always like eve because it's complicated as hell, i love numbers, and it requires a brain to play. it's literally the most in depth, strategic game i've ever played and the changes in PVP or PVE have never effected my view of the game. It's always been the players themselves and fun ways of making isk while waiting for my skills to grow surely but slowly.

I also really like eve cause when i do something that takes a while the reward of finishing it is so much sweeter
Kyle Yanowski
Malevelon Roe Industries
Convocation of Empyreans
#35 - 2012-05-23 19:24:24 UTC
Dethbringer1 wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Dethbringer1 wrote:

What the hell would i want to fly a 20k frig when I can fly bs's and stategic cruisers.. anything you can kill with a frig is just plain boring as hell.

You've never heard of RvB. Or FW? Or just browsed the killboards? Frigs can kill a lot.

Host of the High Drag Eve Online Podcast ( http://highdrag.wordpress.com). Director of Aideron Robotics.

Mina Hiragi
Perkone
Caldari State
#36 - 2012-05-23 19:26:08 UTC
Dethbringer1 wrote:

Confirming I am a 40 year old dude living in my mother's basement.

Protip: At that level of SP, it's virtually impossible for the entirety of the player's SP to be applied to the ship they're flying when they gank you, so whining about opponents with 50M SP is fairly pointless.

Also, lern2capsuleer. 1m SP gives you plenty to be in a frigate, pointing targets for the greater glory of your fleet. You do have a fleet with you, do you not? Or do you think you're a special little snowflake, who should be able to take out a vastly older player - by yourself - on your third day of playing EVE?
Dethbringer1
NoWar4Me
#37 - 2012-05-23 19:26:10 UTC
Kyle Yanowski wrote:
Dethbringer1 wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Dethbringer1 wrote:

You've never heard of RvB. Or FW? Or just browsed the killboards? Frigs can kill a lot.

yeah i know. you can kill a bs with a frig.. you can also mine with a iteron...... whats the point besides being bored to death?
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#38 - 2012-05-23 19:26:32 UTC
Dethbringer1 wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Dethbringer1 wrote:

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong. I was illustrating that frigates are still useful and relevant. Additionally, they are expendable, which means you don't have to be afraid to fight something that might be able to kill you. More fights, more fun.

Dethbringer1
NoWar4Me
#39 - 2012-05-23 19:28:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Dethbringer1
Mina Hiragi wrote:
Dethbringer1 wrote:

Confirming I am a 40 year old dude living in my mother's basement.

Protip: At that level of SP, it's virtually impossible for the entirety of the player's SP to be applied to the ship they're flying when they gank you, so whining about opponents with 50M SP is fairly pointless.

Also, lern2capsuleer. 1m SP gives you plenty to be in a frigate, pointing targets for the greater glory of your fleet. You do have a fleet with you, do you not? Or do you think you're a special little snowflake, who should be able to take out a vastly older player - by yourself - on your third day of playing EVE?

not pointless.... anyone with 50m sp is going to be just griefing when they attack a character with 1m sp. Anyone who with half a brain wont argue with this. Fleet battles are great but I'm strictly talking about noob griefing here and it's effect on new player retention. Luckily I didn't get griefed when I started or I would probably be playing some other game.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#40 - 2012-05-23 19:28:45 UTC
Dethbringer1 wrote:

You miss the point. 1m SP characters can kill 50m SP characters when used right. That doesn't happen in Runescape.