These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Fresh Newbie Question.

Author
Juuxi Ouhi
StarHug
#1 - 2012-05-23 11:39:46 UTC
Hi guys,

After years i have plucked up courage and joined game because i was thinking it is so hard to learn and looks it is Oops and also i lost my faith to other MMOs in the market since all of the became click click games....
Anyways,my initial questions are

1. if i lost (damaged / blasted etc) my ship and if i don't have enough fund in my wallet what will happen? should i start from scratch or what?

2. I am not a kind of person to like PVP i want to do PVE missions and exploration maybe some trade. can i walk around the galaxy without getting hit by people, i mean is this like a PVP server you always PVP on or can i select my status?

i am aware these could be stupid questions but still the game is so complicated and not easy to understand.

cheers.
gfldex
#2 - 2012-05-23 11:49:22 UTC
1) pretty much

2) If you don't want to be shot you stay docked. The only thing you get from highsec are far less players that want to shoot you.

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#3 - 2012-05-23 11:51:32 UTC
You always _can_ PVP, but if you stay in high-security systems there are significant penalties to people attacking you to the point that generally they'll leave you alone unless you're driving something expensive or you **** them off specifically.

You can own as many ships as you can afford and swap your pod between them, if you lose your ship you can simply buy a new one, or already have a backup on hand. I guess technically if you somehow manage to use up absolutely all of your money and resources you might have to go out in one of the free newbie ships to do some Level 1 missions and buy a new frigate/destroyer, but even when I was the noobiest noob that ever noobed a nooblet I never managed to get repeatedly owned _that_ hard.

Generally speaking, I'd advise doing the missions in your starter station, and the training station the help menu chick sends you to, then going to Arnon and doing the Sisters of Eve epic arc. That will give you a good feel for the game's basic mechanics and mission mechanics and will give you enough resources to jump into Level 2 or 3 missions as soon as you farm up the reputation. In the meantime, whenever you have a question google is your friend. Albeit, be aware that a lot of info is a bit outdated now.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#4 - 2012-05-23 12:14:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Malcanis
Juuxi Ouhi wrote:
Hi guys, After years i have plucked up courage and joined game because i was thinking it is so hard to learn and looks it is Oops and also i lost my faith to other MMOs in the market since all of the became click click games.... Anyways,my initial questions are 1. if i lost (damaged / blasted etc) my ship and if i don't have enough fund in my wallet what will happen? should i start from scratch or what?

No, do not start from scratch just because you lost a ship. A good rule is to make sure that the ship you're flying doesn't represent more than around 25% or so of your total asset value (ISK + ships + loot + other posession) - and 25% is pretty high. Most players tend to fly ships around the 2-5% mark in my experience. When your ship explodes, you'll get an amount of ISK from the default (ie: free) insurance, which will go part of the way to paying for a new hull. And as said above, if you've somehow managed to lose so much ISK that you can't even afford a frigate, you can always do level 1 missions in a free rookie ship or something (upgrade the weapons ASAP using loot from rats you kill if you do this - 1 civilian turret won't do a lot of DPS!)
Juuxi Ouhi wrote:
2. I am not a kind of person to like PVP i want to do PVE missions and exploration maybe some trade. can i walk around the galaxy without getting hit by people, i mean is this like a PVP server you always PVP on or can i select my status? i am aware these could be stupid questions but still the game is so complicated and not easy to understand. cheers.

PvP is "always on", and even if you don't want to PvP, I very strongly recommend learning a bit about it, because people can and will PvP you if you're careless enough to make it worth their while. Classic example: putting a few hundred million ISK worth of rat loot and tags into an untanked hauler, then getting blow up by some guy in a destroyer costing a couple of mill. You have made yourself into a viable target because even though the ganker is going to lose his ship for shooting at you, the likely value of the loot he will get makes losing hsi ship worthwhile. Don't make yourself a target like this, and if you do, don't expect much sympathy when the inevitable happens.

Note that the EVE definition of "PvP" is not limited to shooting things. You need to be aware that other players can (and eventually will) use every dirty trick in the book short of client hacks or known exploits to explode your ships and/or get your ISK, and that this is absolutely allowed by CCP. If some stranger approaches you with a great deal or an unusual proposal, check it out with more experienced players first. Read any contracts posted in trade hub local channels very carefully. They're all scams, but spotting the scam can be a fun and interesting puzzle, and good practice.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Remistor Callaway
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-05-23 12:23:15 UTC

1. if i lost (damaged / blasted etc) my ship and if i don't have enough fund in my wallet what will happen? should i start from scratch or what?

Insure your ships, that way if your only ship is blown away you'll get a little amount to buy a new one. Insurance generally cover 2/3-3/4 of the ship value(It varies since the market price are fixed by players and insurance dont move). In the worst case you'll get a free rookie ship.

2. I am not a kind of person to like PVP i want to do PVE missions and exploration maybe some trade. can i walk around the galaxy without getting hit by people, i mean is this like a PVP server you always PVP on or can i select my status?

As soon as you undock, you agree to PvP, hisec is somewhat safer, but you can still be attacked anytime by pirates or gankers who want an easy kill, especially if you carry something valuable with you. I've been ganked a few times in hisec in an empty cargo ship. So to answer your question: Yes, this is a PvP server. like it or not, you'll be attacked, and you loose your ship. One day or the other you'll have to interact with players, via the market which is ruled by players, gankers, a ninja who will enter your mission and steal your loot/salvage.

By the way, EVE is a multiplayer game, you'll find it quickly boring if you play it solo. Join a corp, do lvl4 missions in team, or whatever you like.

i am aware these could be stupid questions but still the game is so complicated and not easy to understand.

there is no stupid question, well, may be "how do I start EVE Online? I can't find it on my desktop..."

Sin Pew
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2012-05-23 13:04:47 UTC
Remistor Callaway wrote:

Insure your ships, that way if your only ship is blown away you'll get a little amount to buy a new one. Insurance generally cover 2/3-3/4 of the ship value(It varies since the market price are fixed by players and insurance dont move). In the worst case you'll get a free rookie ship.

As soon as you undock, you agree to PvP, hisec is somewhat safer, but you can still be attacked anytime by pirates or gankers who want an easy kill, especially if you carry something valuable with you. I've been ganked a few times in hisec in an empty cargo ship. So to answer your question: Yes, this is a PvP server. like it or not, you'll be attacked, and you loose your ship. One day or the other you'll have to interact with players, via the market which is ruled by players, gankers, a ninja who will enter your mission and steal your loot/salvage.

By the way, EVE is a multiplayer game, you'll find it quickly boring if you play it solo. Join a corp, do lvl4 missions in team, or whatever you like.

there is no stupid question, well, may be "how do I start EVE Online? I can't find it on my desktop..."

I will just add a little thing I learned, insurance is adjusted to mineral prices for ship construction a couple times a year, or so. With current minerals prices, insurance prices have fallen pretty low in comparison, but it will be adjusted at some point and the minerals market might be stabilized by the time they adjust.
Also, if the cover of insurance is fairly worth for T1 hulls, it's a different matter for faction or T2 ships and insurance doesn't renew automatically, so you need to lookup the insurance once in a while as the notification about expired insurances isn't sent until you open the window.

[i]"haiku are easy, But sometimes they don't make sense, Refrigerator."[/i]

Juuxi Ouhi
StarHug
#7 - 2012-05-23 13:07:23 UTC
thank you everyone for all friendly expalanations all of your points noted.. as soon as i figure out how i will find a corp and if they will willing to recr. a newbie. for now i am doing very first agent missions.

with respect to google search idea i know i can but interactive helps always way better to me specially for EVE.

cheers.
Remistor Callaway
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-05-23 13:09:17 UTC
Juuxi Ouhi wrote:
thank you everyone for all friendly expalanations all of your points noted.. as soon as i figure out how i will find a corp and if they will willing to recr. a newbie. for now i am doing very first agent missions.

with respect to google search idea i know i can but interactive helps always way better to me specially for EVE.

cheers.

Epic Arc missions, located in Arnon, is a good starting point once you've done your tutorial. they give more money than standard lvl1 missions and there is a kind of storyline.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-05-23 13:16:35 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
As the OP questions have been answered already by plenty of good post will not repost another reply which basically says the same. I how ever want to add the 3 golden rules of EVE:

1.) Only fly what you can't afford to loose (aka don't fly a 100mil ship when you are left with 1mil in your wallet, unless you are okay with loosing it or you are able to replace it easily. You will loose ships in EVE, it's only a matter of when and how. No place in EVE besides the station is safe, so hitting the undock button means you agree that you are able to end up in PvP.)

2.) Don't trust anybody but people you can kick in the balls in real life (aka EVE is harsh/hard. A lot of things that are considered grieving in other games are allowed in EVE, including: Scamming, Theft, Ganking, Harassment [up to a certain degree, but that degree is really high]. Trust is something that has be earned in EVE and not be given lightly to just anybody.

3.) If it sounds to good to be true, it is. (aka always check stuff twice if not 3 times. Like with rule 2, scamming is allowed and there are a shitload of scammers in EVE with as many possible scams. What I like to do with my Jita-alt (Jita = main trade hub, scam central cause of that) from time to time is sit and watch local chat (usually filled with scams) and just look them up and see if I can find out how they are scams. Best way to prevent being scammed is to know how they work.)

Ooh and in EVE, bigger =/= always better. Loads of players rush into a battleship only to find out it can't do what they want it to do. In EVE even small ships like frigates have plenty of use (low level missions, tackle ships in PvP).

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Remistor Callaway
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-05-23 13:19:09 UTC
J'Poll wrote:

2.) Don't trust anybody but people you can kick in the balls in real life

thanks, I laugh so hard at this :D

actually true.
Juuxi Ouhi
StarHug
#11 - 2012-05-23 14:53:22 UTC
J'Poll wrote:

1.) Only fly what you can't afford to loose (aka don't fly a 100mil ship when you are left with 1mil in your wallet, unless you are okay with loosing it or you are able to replace it easily. You will loose ships in EVE, it's only a matter of when and how. No place in EVE besides the station is safe, so hitting the undock button means you agree that you are able to end up in PvP.)

is this mean they can't get money from my wallet but they can have all assets from my ship once i get killed?

Thanks.
Remistor Callaway
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-05-23 15:00:17 UTC
Juuxi Ouhi wrote:
J'Poll wrote:

is this mean they can't get money from my wallet but they can have all assets from my ship once i get killed?

Thanks.

I think she mean "fly what you CAN afford to lose"

And yes, if you have stuff in your cargo, part of it will drop, another part will be destroyed with the ship, and the ganker can pick it up.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#13 - 2012-05-23 15:44:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Juuxi Ouhi wrote:

You have an infinite supply of rookie ships. You get one whenever you dock at a station without any other ships.

With a rookie ship, you can move up to a frigate after killing about 10 belt NPC "rats" or less. Or a few level 1 missions (heck, you don't even need to shoot stuff to do a courier mission). Or you can use it to mine some ore to sell and buy a proper frigate with.

From there, getting back on your feet is easy, especially when you learn from your mistakes.

First rule of EVE: Never fly what you can't afford to lose and replace.

Second rule of EVE: Everything bad or good that happens to you in EVE is because of your own actions or inaction.

Quote:

If you undock, you are consenting to PvP.

However, you can remain in the relative safety of hisec as long as you want, but this isn't total safety. The infinitely powerful CONCORD NPC patrols hisec and deals out consequences for actions, but they are only a deterrent.

I wouldn't limit yourself to hisec, nor be averse to loss. Everything in EVE is replaceable; ships are just tools.
Juuxi Ouhi
StarHug
#14 - 2012-05-23 16:15:31 UTC
Remistor Callaway wrote:
Juuxi Ouhi wrote:

cheers.

Epic Arc missions, located in Arnon, is a good starting point once you've done your tutorial. they give more money than standard lvl1 missions and there is a kind of storyline.

Great, already i made 700k, making money isn't that hard.
cheers.
J'Poll
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-05-23 16:40:05 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Remistor Callaway wrote:
Juuxi Ouhi wrote:
J'Poll wrote:

Thanks.

I think she mean "fly what you CAN afford to lose"

And yes, if you have stuff in your cargo, part of it will drop, another part will be destroyed with the ship, and the ganker can pick it up.

Yep...

Biggest typo ever.

Mixed up the following 2 things which are basically the same.

Don't fly what you can't afford to loose

or

Only fly what you can afford to loose

As for the OP's reply:

If you loose your ship, it's gone. You will have to buy a new ship. Any module that is fitted on the ship or in it's cargohold has a 50% chance to survive the explosion. If modules survive anybody can loot them from the wreck, so it's possible if you have high value stuff in your cargohold people try to kill you in a ship that is cheaper then the value of the thing in your hold

If they kill you and then loot that item, they make profit of killing you.

EDIT:

As nobody else said it so far. The entire galaxy of EVE is essentially PvP, even the market is PvP as you are buying and selling from/to other players, which in a way is PvP (you are fighting for best prices against other players).

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#16 - 2012-05-23 17:02:28 UTC
"Don't fly what you can't afford to lose" is a bit misleading. Some people interpret it as "don't fly what you can't afford to replace", which is not what it means at all. It also doesn't mean "don't fly expensive stuff".

It means "don't fly what you can't deal with losing". I certainly can't afford to replace a Curse right away, yet I use my Curse knowing I may lose it because I am at peace with it possibly blowing up. If it happens, it happens, and I can deal with it. Sometimes "dealing with it" may involve toning down your ships for a while, or making less money for a while, or being weaker in PvP for a while. Understanding these consequences and being prepared to accept them in event of ship loss is crucial to undocking in anything of value.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

J'Poll
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-05-23 17:05:42 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
"Don't fly what you can't afford to lose" is a bit misleading. Some people interpret it as "don't fly what you can't afford to replace", which is not what it means at all. It also doesn't mean "don't fly expensive stuff".

It means "don't fly what you can't deal with losing". I certainly can't afford to replace a Curse right away, yet I use my Curse knowing I may lose it because I am at peace with it possibly blowing up. If it happens, it happens, and I can deal with it. Sometimes "dealing with it" may involve toning down your ships for a while, or making less money for a while, or being weaker in PvP for a while. Understanding these consequences and being prepared to accept them in event of ship loss is crucial to undocking in anything of value.

Explained the same in post #9, but saw I made a major typo, that said you only should fly what you can't afford to loose Oops

Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#18 - 2012-05-23 20:36:56 UTC
Juuxi Ouhi wrote:

A) Basically everything in this game can be bought.
B) Money is actually quite easy to come by.

So, if you donĀ“t go overboard with your income (like jumping into a Cruiser or Battlecruiser on Day 3 just because you can after training straight up for it without any regard to support skills) you should never have any problems in this regard, especially if you stay away from PvP.

Sure, you will eventually lose your ship, but that one should be replaced in a few hours.

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]