These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

New chat links always show full name of items, stations etc

First post
Author
Malice Redeemer
The Black Crow Bandits
Brave Collective
#1 - 2012-05-23 08:42:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Malice Redeemer
Why do I want to have the whole station name post to chat when I link a station? This "feature" breaks the way I keep track of stations in a nice simple way, in a channel motd. Is there any chance this can be fixed?

Edit for dev sanity: They are going to fix it, yay! Frogholing forever!
Ludi Burek
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#2 - 2012-05-23 08:45:34 UTC
Why u so mad bro?
Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#3 - 2012-05-23 08:50:20 UTC
This is a bit of annoyance, I had a chat channel we use just for quick links to systems and stations using just the system names. Yesterday it became a complete mess when they all changed to the full system planet moon station names.

Let's see if they change it back with the patch today.

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

Jarne
Increasing Success by Lowering Expectations
#4 - 2012-05-23 08:55:18 UTC
I think it's because of localization, there was something about it in the patch notes if I remember right. The reason: if you have a russian client you will get some russian version of "... station" when a station gets linked I think. And vice versa when a russian links something. Doesn't make sense for items etc. of course...
Malice Redeemer
The Black Crow Bandits
Brave Collective
#5 - 2012-05-23 09:08:06 UTC
Jarne wrote:
I think it's because of localization, there was something about it in the patch notes if I remember right. The reason: if you have a russian client you will get some russian version of "... station" when a station gets linked I think. And vice versa when a russian links something. Doesn't make sense for items etc. of course...

Great, can my problem be fixed is all I care about?
CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#6 - 2012-05-23 10:20:06 UTC
Finally I find a topic on this!

At any rate: This is my fault! Feel free to tweet horrible things about me while I come up with a usable solution.

As Jarne already mentioned this is due to localization: Translating autolinks requires them to actually be a sensible word in the first place, otherwise the receiver has no way of forming an expectation of what he is clicking. But even though I love being overly verbose I'll have to admit people do not like to be subjected to verbosity.

So I'll shorten things up considerably. Probably something like "Station: ORBITNAME". So Dodixie IX - Moon 20 - Federation Navy Assembly Plant would become Station: Dodixie IX - M20. That's translatable, informative and not enough characters to build a ladder to heaven with.

Fair play?
Tobiaz
Spacerats
#7 - 2012-05-23 10:22:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Tobiaz
CCP Prism X wrote:

At any rate: This is my fault! Feel free to tweet horrible things about me while I come up with a usable solution.

As Jarne already mentioned this is due to localization: Translating autolinks requires them to actually be a sensible word in the first place, otherwise the receiver has no way of forming an expectation of what he is clicking. But even though I love being overly verbose I'll have to admit people do not like to be subjected to verbosity.

So I'll shorten things up considerably. Probably something like "Station: ORBITNAME". So Dodixie IX - Moon 20 - Federation Navy Assembly Plant would become Station: Dodixie IX - M20. That's translatable, informative and not enough characters to build a ladder to heaven with.

Fair play?

Sounds good

Could you apply something like that to the default naming of bookmarks? Or better yet, make it optional. CCP could safe itself a lot of forum tantrums if more UI stuff was optional.

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

Aiko Hanomaa
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-05-23 10:25:35 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:

Fair play?

No. If I want to link Jita IV - Moon 4 - Caldari Navy Assembly Plant with the words "Froghole", the link should read "Froghole". There is no reason to translate my words.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#9 - 2012-05-23 10:27:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Tobiaz wrote:

Sounds good

Could you apply something like that to the default naming of bookmarks? Or better yet, make it optional. CCP could safe itself a lot of forum tantrums if more UI stuff was optional.

Totally this, changing bookmark name strings to something meaningful is a PITA.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Malice Redeemer
The Black Crow Bandits
Brave Collective
#10 - 2012-05-23 10:30:28 UTC
Aiko Hanomaa wrote:
CCP Prism X wrote:

Fair play?

No. If I want to link Jita IV - Moon 4 - Caldari Navy Assembly Plant with the words "Froghole", the link should read "Froghole". There is no reason to translate my words.

this, but I guess the dev's fix will work, but still we lost something eh? Lets worry more about the inventory first eh? really I don't care if its not your job. I mean if there is anyone at ccp that isn't trying to sort out what to do now with this invertory, thats a mistake.
Spanking Monkeys
ZC Omega
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2012-05-23 10:32:25 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:

Fair play?

but this causes issues with the note pad. it can only contain so many letters. so when you try to short link something to cut back on these letters, the new links explode to full length.
ok you can sit there are remove most of the link, but its just another job to do that really shouldnt have to be done
CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#12 - 2012-05-23 10:42:00 UTC
Bookmarks - I'll see what I can do but I'm under heavy time constraints from other projects and isn't actually connected to the issue at hand. Sad

Froghole - Although I don't agree with there being much usability behind that other than confusing people, I can probably add that back with a bit of work. Besides, confusing people is great fun! Would probably also make everyone happier if things only autocomplete if the text supplied is a substring of the actual text. That way you could make even shorter station names by naming the links Froghole 1 - Infinity.

Notepad - Hopefully the Froghole fix will help you here as well.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#13 - 2012-05-23 10:50:00 UTC
CCP Prism X
"Froghole Fix" has to be the official name for any remedial work carried out on the longwinded autolinking localisation problem P

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Generals4
#14 - 2012-05-23 10:54:33 UTC
Aiko Hanomaa wrote:
CCP Prism X wrote:

Fair play?

Jita is a squidhole. The only froghole i know of is dodixie!

_-Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily. _

Aiko Hanomaa
Doomheim
#15 - 2012-05-23 10:56:11 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:
Bookmarks - I'll see what I can do but I'm under heavy time constraints from other projects and isn't actually connected to the issue at hand. Sad

Would probably also make everyone happier if things only autocomplete if the text supplied is a substring of the actual text.

That sounds fine. Autocomplete is a helpful feature, replacing user input without context is the opposite.
Malice Redeemer
The Black Crow Bandits
Brave Collective
#16 - 2012-05-23 10:58:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Malice Redeemer
Aiko Hanomaa wrote:
CCP Prism X wrote:

Would probably also make everyone happier if things only autocomplete if the text supplied is a substring of the actual text.

That sounds fine. Autocomplete is a helpful feature, replacing user input without context is the opposite.

Sounds great to me, as for a simple use example "home" for a link to a station?

Edit: now can we get to to rattle the inventory guys cages? We would like to have a talk with them.
Virgil Travis
Non Constructive Self Management
#17 - 2012-05-23 11:07:16 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:

Fair play?

I'd rather just be able to use the text for the link that I want, not what is forced on me thanks. Or make that an option when you create the autolink, we have a whole list of quick links that this change has made a complete mess off and wasn't required really.

Unified Church of the Unobligated - madness in the method Mamma didn't raise no victims.

CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#18 - 2012-05-23 11:24:53 UTC
Malice Redeemer wrote:
[quote=Aiko Hanomaa]Edit: now can we get to to rattle the inventory guys cages? We would like to have a talk with them.

But that's so mainstream! Being angry at me is much more underground and it's been so long since people were angry at me that it's probably considered retro by now! Lol
Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#19 - 2012-05-23 11:27:20 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:
Malice Redeemer wrote:
[quote=Aiko Hanomaa]Edit: now can we get to to rattle the inventory guys cages? We would like to have a talk with them.

But that's so mainstream! Being angry at me is much more underground and it's been so long since people were angry at me that it's probably considered retro by now! Lol

I can pull your hair in that retro haircut of yours?

AFK-cloaking in a system near you.

Sarah Schneider
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2012-05-23 11:29:58 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:
So I'll shorten things up considerably. Probably something like "Station: ORBITNAME". So Dodixie IX - Moon 20 - Federation Navy Assembly Plant would become Station: Dodixie IX - M20. That's translatable, informative and not enough characters to build a ladder to heaven with.Fair play?

Do eeettt!!!

I'll throw you and other guys involved in this change cookies, candies and rainbows if it actually happens!

"I'd rather have other players get shot by other players than not interacting with others" -CCP Soundwave

123Next page