These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

[Inferno] New Merlin, Hybrids, and Caldari Ships in general

Author
Rond Dorlezahn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-05-22 07:41:19 UTC
So it seems to me like the Merlin will be a blaster boat in a few hours. For those who have not caught the patch notes, here are the new Merlin specs:

New bonuses: 5% bonus to Small Hybrid Turret damage and 5% to shield resistances per level.
Slot layout: 3 High, 4 Mid, 3 Low; 3 turrets and no launchers.
Fittings: 40 PWG, 180 CPU
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 500 / 350 / 400
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / cap per second): 350 / 175 s / 2
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 310 / 3.6 / 997000 / 3.36 s
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 0 / 0
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 50km / 580 / 5
Sensor strength: 11 Gravimetric
Signature radius: 39

For further reference, here is the new Incursus, the other Inferno hybrid frigate:

Incursus: improved role as close range brawler.
New bonuses: 5% bonus to Small Hybrid Turret damage and 10% bonus to armor repairer effectiveness per level.
Slot layout: 3 High, 3 Mid, 4 Low; 3 turrets and no launchers.
Fittings: 45 PWG, 135 CPU
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 400 / 450 / 500
Capacitor (amount / recharge rate / cap per second): 370 / 185 s / 2
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 340 / 3.15 / 1028000 / 3.0 s
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 5 / 5
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 30km / 600 / 4
Sensor strength: 9 Magnetometric
Signature radius: 42

The important part for the Merlin would appear to be the change from 5% Optimal Range/Rank to 5% Damage/Rank for Hybrids. I know more about Amarr and Gallente ships than I do Caldari, but I would not be surprised to see this damage bonus cropping up on a lot of other Hybrid-focused Caldari hulls. I'm training up Hybrids right now anyway, so I've got some questions that I hope will inspire a longer conversation than it takes to answer my own questions.

-Is a greater affinity for blaster brawling a thing Caldari pilots need, or want?
-How will the Merlin compare to the new Incursus as a blaster boat?
-Assuming larger hulls get this shift towards hybrid damage, how would they stack up against Gallente blaster boats, which are obviously the kings of the weapon right now?
-Relevant to the last two, how would Shield tanking work out for such Caldari blaster boats?

I'm not a huge fan of missile boats, but I love the aesthetics of the Caldari hybrid ships. My hope for Caldari hybrid ships that are on-par with Gallente ships might be in vain, but a man can dream. What do you folk think?
Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2012-05-22 07:49:22 UTC
"New bonuses: 5% bonus to Small Hybrid Turret damage and 5% to shield resistances per level."

Damn, son. It will be sort of a Shield-based Punisher.

Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

Ashimat
Clandestine Services
#3 - 2012-05-22 08:51:24 UTC
Quote:
-Is a greater affinity for blaster brawling a thing Caldari pilots need, or want?

Looking at how cold the missile-boats leave me, hybrids are the primary weapon-system for Caldari, and have been for a while Cool

Got blog: http://thecloakedones.blogspot.com

Ivy Romanova
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-05-22 09:29:21 UTC
Ashimat wrote:
Quote:

Looking at how cold the missile-boats leave me, hybrids are the primary weapon-system for Caldari, and have been for a while Cool

BY GOD!
what happened to your face?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ DAMN THIS    SIGNATURE    IS FANCY ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#5 - 2012-05-22 10:01:07 UTC
Ivy Romanova wrote:
Ashimat wrote:
Quote:

BY GOD!
what happened to your face?

It's:

CCP Nullarbor wrote:

An Official Response From CCP

Dude... your face?

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#6 - 2012-05-22 10:21:49 UTC
To OP-

I absolutely want brawler Caldari Blaster boats. In alot of ways they are more practical to use then Gallente blaster boats. The hybrid buffs really hit the Caldari boats in their sweet spot. They can usually fit ions or nuetrons AND have an impressive tank. As shield tankers they can load their low slots with damage mods and tracking enhancers. They may not have the raw damage potential of Gallente but they can hit out alot farther. The Ferox can project 11km optimal and 11km falloff with Null for example.

The Ancillary Shield Boosters are a game changer as well. After playing around on SISSI the X-Large A Booster on a Ferox allows it to have a very sick tank and a web. Talk about shocked opponents....
Reppyk
The Black Shell
#7 - 2012-05-22 11:29:30 UTC
Rond Dorlezahn wrote:
The important part for the Merlin would appear to be the change from 5% Optimal Range/Rank to 5% Damage/Rank for Hybrids.
HOW DARE YOU
IT WAS 10% OPTI
HERETIC
THE MERLIN CURSE IS ON YOU

I AM SPACE CAPTAIN REPPYK. BEWARE.

Proud co-admin of frugu.net, a French fansite about EVE !

Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-05-22 11:52:13 UTC
Finally my hybrid skils are not completely wasted, I'll be able to fly good blaster ships from now on instead of Gatellente junk.

brb

Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-05-22 11:56:02 UTC
Lin-Young Borovskova wrote:
Finally my hybrid skils are not completely wasted, I'll be able to fly good blaster ships from now on instead of Gatellente junk.

Because the new Merlin will out-perform stuff like the Brutix.

Right...? xD

Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#10 - 2012-05-22 11:59:41 UTC
Tor Gungnir wrote:

Right...? xD

I'm quite sure you have some issues with size. Don't worry this will go away when you become an adult Lol

brb

Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-05-22 12:03:12 UTC
Tor Gungnir wrote:

Right...? xD

I'm quite sure you have some issues with size. Don't worry this will go away when you become an adult Lol

Come again?

Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-05-22 12:12:35 UTC
Tor Gungnir wrote:
Tor Gungnir wrote:

Right...? xD

Come again?

Her I am !

You're right, I'm sure after DT we'll see Brutixes all over the place (where hulks mine).

By the way next expansion name will be "Brutix On Line vs evil Hulks On Line"

brb

Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-05-22 12:19:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Tor Gungnir
Tor Gungnir wrote:
Tor Gungnir wrote:

Right...? xD

Come again?

Her I am !

You're right, I'm sure after DT we'll see Brutixes all over the place (where hulks mine).

By the way next expansion name will be "Brutix On Line vs evil Hulks On Line"

You're making no sense. How is this related to your idea of the new Merlin allowing you to not have to use Gallente blasterboats á la the Brutix?

Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#14 - 2012-05-22 12:32:53 UTC
Tor Gungnir wrote:

You're making no sense. How is this related to your idea of the new Merlin allowing you to not have to use Gallente blasterboats á la the Brutix?

Because range because speed because fittings and because tank. Some T2 Gallente blaster frigs can push 700dps on paper with a decent tank/speed, however in reality Blarpy works better and I can safely say it's just FOTOM.

brb

Bent Barrel
#15 - 2012-05-22 12:34:56 UTC
looks like I will train shield skills now ... seems to complement the incursus rather well as a blaster boat ...
Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#16 - 2012-05-22 12:43:13 UTC
Let me break it down for you son. Caldari hybrid boats may begin to see a trend where they move from optimal/shield bonuses to damage/shield bonuses. The Brutix competes with the Ferox, not the Merlin. Roll A Ferox with a damage/ shield bonus will be much more useable then a Brutix. It's gank and tank don't compete. A TE will guarantee it longer range. And shield tanking will easier to fit then armour tanking. It will probably fit larger guns with more magstabs for one turret hard point less.
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#17 - 2012-05-22 13:06:27 UTC
Isn't the Ferox performing well already with it's optimal + resist bonus ?
And what about the Rokh ?

I'm afraid Caldari hybrid boats are losing some specificities only to become closer from gallente boats, but I'm not used to caldari ships.
Hrett
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2012-05-22 14:27:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Hrett
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
Let me break it down for you son. Caldari hybrid boats may begin to see a trend where they move from optimal/shield bonuses to damage/shield bonuses. The Brutix competes with the Ferox, not the Merlin. Roll A Ferox with a damage/ shield bonus will be much more useable then a Brutix. It's gank and tank don't compete. A TE will guarantee it longer range. And shield tanking will easier to fit then armour tanking. It will probably fit larger guns with more magstabs for one turret hard point less.

You are presuming the Brutix won't get changed with tiericide. If the incursus is any indication, I foresee (hope for) a 10% rep bonus and an extra low.

spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Reppyk
The Black Shell
#19 - 2012-05-22 15:21:23 UTC
Hrett wrote:
You are presuming the Brutix won't get changed with tiericide. If the incursus is any indication, I foresee (hope for) a 10% rep bonus and an extra low.
And some PWG. Oops

I AM SPACE CAPTAIN REPPYK. BEWARE.

Proud co-admin of frugu.net, a French fansite about EVE !

Jayrendo Karr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#20 - 2012-05-22 21:56:21 UTC
If they give my brutix enough PG for 7 250 rails and a tank...
12Next page