These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

To the people who hate people who sit cloaked in system.

Author
Lexar Mundi
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2012-05-21 09:26:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Lexar Mundi
If you want to make it to where people can't afk in a safe spot cloaked, should people afk in low sec stations be ejected out after they are away for a long period of time?

They have the same effect as the afk cloaky sitting in your carebear mining systems.

The solution is simple, most MMOs have an inactivity timer.(EVE does not have this) Once this timer runs out it simply logs the character off after 30 min to an hour of inactivity. This was originally used to kick people off of full servers so others could log on. If you are so worried about people AFK this would make the cloaked pilots sit at their computers or try to come up with a system to be at their computer with out actually being there.

EVE should implement an afk timer where if you leave for a period of time, it logs your character out (long enough where miners don't get booted)

Don't make us cloaked pilots who actually sit at our computer watching POSs in WHs pay for the AFK pilots out in nul sec!

~Edit to make my post more clear~
Ranger64511
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-05-21 09:28:36 UTC
What on earth is this? Fairly sure EVE doesn't have an inactivity timer so no idea what your talking about......well i guess the timer would be when DT comes and you get logged out automatically.

This is my gate. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My gate is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my gate is useless. Without my gate, I am useless.

Lexar Mundi
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2012-05-21 09:31:17 UTC
Ranger64511 wrote:
What on earth is this? Fairly sure EVE doesn't have an inactivity timer so no idea what your talking about......well i guess the timer would be when DT comes and you get logged out automatically.

I was suggesting to implement one.

EVE does not have one at the moment
Leemi Sobo
#4 - 2012-05-21 09:47:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Leemi Sobo
Zoe Athame
Don't Lose Your Way
#5 - 2012-05-21 09:53:55 UTC
Lexar Mundi wrote:

Don't make us cloaked pilots who actually sit at our computer watching POSs in WHs pay for the AFK pilots out in nul sec!

What do you mean pay? Cloaks aren't being changed.
Lexar Mundi
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2012-05-21 10:02:24 UTC
Zoe Athame wrote:
Lexar Mundi wrote:

I never said they were.
Lexar Mundi
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2012-05-21 10:04:56 UTC

I think this works better, that birds not even pushing the space bar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWvYRR5x_uw
MotherMoon
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-05-21 10:08:08 UTC
if you want to fix the problem, remove local chat as an lintel tool. Then only active fleets are hostile to you.

we already know wormholespace is more awesome than 0.0 It feels more like a 0.0 system should. Maybe -0.5 and below truesec should be no local?

Without local this whole argument would end. Two birds with one stone.

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1206/scimi.jpg

Lexar Mundi
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2012-05-21 10:13:12 UTC
MotherMoon wrote:
if you want to fix the problem, remove local chat as an lintel tool. Then only active fleets are hostile to you.

we already know wormholespace is more awesome than 0.0 It feels more like a 0.0 system should. Maybe -0.5 and below truesec should be no local?

I actually agree with you, 0.0 should have no local. No local brings back fun PvP
Zoe Athame
Don't Lose Your Way
#10 - 2012-05-21 10:43:35 UTC
Lexar Mundi wrote:
Zoe Athame wrote:
Lexar Mundi wrote:

I never said they were.

Refer to the first question in my post.
Leemi Sobo
#11 - 2012-05-21 11:06:49 UTC
Lexar Mundi wrote:

I think this works better, that birds not even pushing the space bar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWvYRR5x_uw

I hope this thing gets its power from an USB port Big smile

I just wanted to point out that there are pretty simple workarounds for everything
Tobiaz
Spacerats
#12 - 2012-05-21 11:20:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Tobiaz
MotherMoon wrote:

I'd say remove all local for all 0.0 except the ones that have NPC stations. Then add an 'entry tracker' POS-module for upgraded sov, that makes local show everybody. It should requiring so much CPU and grid it basically needs it's own large POS, leaving almost nothing for defenses. Maybe even requiring it's own fuel supply to make it require enough money and attention for even big alliances to carefully consider where to put them up and where not.

'Perfect intelligence'-local (benefiting defenders more then attackers) should be balanced by being expensive, logistic-intensive and vulnerable.

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

Skippermonkey
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-05-21 11:30:15 UTC
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/2029/cloakyballs.png

COME AT ME BRO

I'LL JUST BE DOCKED IN THIS STATION

Tyson Gallane
Political Warfare Executive
#14 - 2012-05-21 11:32:58 UTC
Tobiaz wrote:
MotherMoon wrote:

I'd say remove all local for all 0.0 except the ones that have NPC stations. Then add an 'entry tracker' POS-module for upgraded sov, that makes local show everybody. It should requiring so much CPU and grid it basically needs it's own large POS, leaving almost nothing for defenses, maybe even requiring it's own fuel supply to make it require enough money and attention for even big alliances not to put them all over the place.

'Perfect intelligence'-local (benefiting defenders more then attackers) should be balanced by being expensive, logistic-intensive and vulnerable.

I like it. A deployable you'd need to online near each gate, maybe? When someone jumps through the gate they get a little message in their local chat telling them they've been booked in (and they appear on the local memberlist).

Then, if you arrive by alternate means (a covert cyno!) you aren't booked by the entry registers and don't show unless you fly near a gate.

T.
Tyson Gallane
Political Warfare Executive
#15 - 2012-05-21 11:34:09 UTC
Skippermonkey wrote:
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/2029/cloakyballs.png

LOL
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#16 - 2012-05-21 11:38:26 UTC  |  Edited by: xxxTRUSTxxx
Lexar Mundi wrote:
If you want to make it to where people can't afk in a safe spot cloaked, should people afk in low sec stations be ejected out after they are away for a long period of time?

They have the same effect as the afk cloaky sitting in your carebear mining systems.

The solution is simple, most MMOs have an inactivity timer.(EVE does not have this) Once this timer runs out it simply logs the character off after 30 min to an hour of inactivity. This was originally used to kick people off of full servers so others could log on. If you are so worried about people AFK this would make the cloaked pilots sit at their computers or try to come up with a system to be at their computer with out actually being there.

EVE should implement an afk timer where if you leave for a period of time, it logs your character out (long enough where miners don't get booted)

~Edit to make my post more clear~

here's your answer,,, remove local,, if your afk cloaked without local it's usless,, see this post >>>>> >>>CLICK ME<<<
MotherMoon
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2012-05-21 20:04:15 UTC
Tyson Gallane wrote:
Tobiaz wrote:
MotherMoon wrote:

I'd say remove all local for all 0.0 except the ones that have NPC stations. Then add an 'entry tracker' POS-module for upgraded sov, that makes local show everybody. It should requiring so much CPU and grid it basically needs it's own large POS, leaving almost nothing for defenses, maybe even requiring it's own fuel supply to make it require enough money and attention for even big alliances not to put them all over the place.

I like it. A deployable you'd need to online near each gate, maybe? When someone jumps through the gate they get a little message in their local chat telling them they've been booked in (and they appear on the local memberlist).

Then, if you arrive by alternate means (a covert cyno!) you aren't booked by the entry registers and don't show unless you fly near a gate.

T.

yup, black Ops battleships are useless as long as local stays around.

Come on CCP this is crazy, we've been talking about removing local from 0.0 for the past 6 years. LET GET ON IT ALLREADY

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1206/scimi.jpg

Ocih
Space Mermaids
#18 - 2012-05-21 20:06:58 UTC
I doubt when CCP buffed blasters, they were thinking, Lets slaughter Hulks and Mackinaws in the tens of thousands. Yet that's really the only thing that came out of the Blaster Buff.

If CCp nerf AFK cloaking, they won't put much thought in to ATK cloakers.
Tobiaz
Spacerats
#19 - 2012-05-21 20:12:13 UTC
Tyson Gallane wrote:
Tobiaz wrote:
MotherMoon wrote:

T.

That's also a very nice idea. Making it an simple anchorable like a bubble (but make it consume fuel as well) would make it a very vulnerable. Perhaps a special high-slot scrambler mod to avoid being registered?

A big downside would be the ease of which these can be simply dragged along and placed whenever a mining op or gatecamp is planned.

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#20 - 2012-05-21 20:19:49 UTC
..and other people that live in Null keep fighting to keep it. hmm..

On the other hand, something that satisfies both parties like mentioned above seems a good compromise. However, req. some large POS to online it is a bit rediculous.

I suggest it be incorporated into Sov mechanics and TCU as an upgrade. It sinks ISK initially, but until Sov has to be rebuilt there is no further need for the expense.

I'd also suggest the implementation of a module which can be mounted mid or high on a ship, or maybe as a Rig, which allows certain ships to bypass the local channel. Cov Ops specifically obviously, including Black Ops and Cloaky Haulers, (and CovOps T3s too I suppose).

Then all you need is some means of decloaking or detecting cloaking vessels. Obviously, any vessel fit with a counter local module would be boosted against detection, and CovOps Cloaks would be harder to detect than Improved Cloaks, etc..

Make the game more interesting and varied. Sounds like a good plan to me.

On the other hand, there are many who would disagree with even the ability to detect the presence of a cloaked vessel in a system with no local. Some because it requires :effort: and others because they want to be invisible and invulnerable. While it is nice to be invulnerable once in awhile, I'm of the opinion if you want to spend the day in game afk, you should sit in a station or risk your ship.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
12Next page