These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What happened to double training time?

First post
Author
Alexis Cornell
287 Marine Regiment
#1 - 2011-10-03 09:32:28 UTC
When I first started playing two years ago, new characters recieved double training speed up until they had acquired 1.6M SP, before that new players got something like 900K SP to distribute where they wanted at start up.

I've recently returned to Eve and just started a new character and I'm wondering what happened to that. I don't seem to have much starting SP or enhanced training speed, did all that disappear with the learning skills?
Gevlin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2011-10-03 10:03:12 UTC
Learning Skills were removed
Everyone Recieved the power of the Learning Skills at max training
those who had the points spent on those skill were able to re-spend those points

in effect all learning was at 2.5 times speed so the double learning speed was no longer needed and was removed

Someday I will have the time to play. For now it is mining afk in High sec. In Cheap ships

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#3 - 2011-10-03 10:04:22 UTC
Now you get (the equivalent of) all your learning skills trained to 5. Instead of 800k SP at double speed, you get a bonus that would have cost 5.3M SP under the old system.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Alexis Cornell
287 Marine Regiment
#4 - 2011-10-03 10:57:41 UTC
I understand that Learning skills were removed, the spent SP in them refunded and base training speed altered to equate max learning skills. Frankly, no offense, but all that is irrelevant to the question.

That CCP removed the new character 'advantage' as part of the major revamp to the whole training process I can understand. But it can't be because new players were compensated by those other changes, when they affect all players.

New players initially got 900K of SP at start up. At one point this was distributed in a fixed way based on the character Race and sub-race selection. Then it was changed to allow the player to freely distribute how they wanted at start up. This was changed again to a fixed 100K in vital skills and make the next 1.6M SP train at double training speed.

So nowadays the new player gets the fixed 100K of vital starter skills. Is that it?
Toshiro GreyHawk
#5 - 2011-10-03 11:03:57 UTC

Yeah. That's it.

As to it's relevance ... you can argue with CCP about that as the reasoning quoted was their reasoning.

CCP Spitfire
C C P
C C P Alliance
#6 - 2011-10-03 11:10:49 UTC
Hello Alexis Cornell,

This dev blog by CCP Greyscale outlines the reasoning behind the skill training bonus removal and may answer some of your questions.

Hope that helps.

CCP Spitfire | Marketing & Sales Team @ccp_spitfire

Alexis Cornell
287 Marine Regiment
#7 - 2011-10-03 11:12:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Alexis Cornell
Thankyou Toshiro. I can well imagine CCP doing that. They are the masters of spin and creating confusing explanations for unexplainable reasons.

Thankyou CCP Spitfire too.
Toshiro GreyHawk
#8 - 2011-10-03 11:47:47 UTC
Well, the sad thing about all of this from my POV was that it made the game worse, especially for new players.

The worst thing you can do to many new players - is to give them what they want.

A game that is harder and has greater complexity - is generally a better game than one that is simplistic and easily mastered.

Giving new players the opportunity to do something for it's long term benefit rather than going after short term goals gave those players with some foresight an advantage over those who were impatient. Most MMO's reward the impatient - as they are the biggest whiners - and whining works. EVE once rewarded those with foresight who trained their learning skills - it now encourages the impatient.

The biggest down side to the new player - was that during the time they spent acquiring those learning skills - they were playing the game at a relatively easy level and learning about how it worked. When they lost that time they spent getting their learning skills up - they lost that in game experience they were gaining at the same time.

Now ... they are able to concentrate on moving up to bigger ships and better missions faster - when they often are not really ready for them. So they go out, get blown up, lose everything because they spent it all on that big ship they didn't know how to use and then don't know what to do.

Now - the mantra is "Get To Level IV Missions As Fast As You Can" regardless of anything else.

Ignoring the cost to people who've lost everything they had by foolishly spending it all on a ship they subsequently lost ... OK - so they're now at Level IV Missions ... now what? You can put fancier stuff on your ship so that you can run Level IV's even faster ... but so what? The missions are still the same. So all you've done - is top out your Mission Running Career as fast as you could - so you can now spend your time running the same missions - over and over and over and over ad nausea ...

I can't imagine anything more boring than that.

Of course ... they can go do something else ... but the challenge of Mission Running (what challenge there was) is over.

It was like getting to BR20 in PS. OK ... now what? CR 5 - which I got ... then what?

*shrug*

Giving people what they want is not always doing them a favor ...

Dick Jones
Omega Celestial Procurement
#9 - 2011-10-03 12:50:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Dick Jones
CCP Spitfire wrote:
Hello Alexis Cornell,

This dev blog by CCP Greyscale outlines the reasoning behind the skill training bonus removal and may answer some of your questions.

Hope that helps.

CCP Greyscale Dev Blog wrote:
If you find yourself repeatedly training up sub-3m SP alts for specific tasks and then binning them, this may inconvenience you slightly. Sorry. On the other hand, each one will now cost you 20m ISK less, so count your blessings there. Also, recycling alts is against the rules and will get you banned.

ShockedHoly Crap, can I get a clarification on this? I may unknowingly be violating a rule I didn't know existed.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#10 - 2011-10-03 14:02:02 UTC
Alexis Cornell wrote:
I understand that Learning skills were removed, the spent SP in them refunded and base training speed altered to equate max learning skills. Frankly, no offense, but all that is irrelevant to the question.

That CCP removed the new character 'advantage' as part of the major revamp to the whole training process I can understand. But it can't be because new players were compensated by those other changes, when they affect all players.

New players initially got 900K of SP at start up. At one point this was distributed in a fixed way based on the character Race and sub-race selection. Then it was changed to allow the player to freely distribute how they wanted at start up. This was changed again to a fixed 100K in vital skills and make the next 1.6M SP train at double training speed.

So nowadays the new player gets the fixed 100K of vital starter skills. Is that it?

New players initially got almost no SP at startup. I started with something like 70k SP back in September 2006. No remaps, no skillqueue, you had to train basic learnings to 5 before you could start the advanceds, and implants were approximately twice the price they are now.

I don't recall new players ever getting freely distributable skillpoints at startup. I think you are perhaps thinking of stat points not skill points?

I believe the current theory is that with an effective +10 to each stat, new players are training on average at double the speed on startup, and furthermore they're free to begin training useful skills immediately (rather than balancing between learning skills and game skills), rendering the old 100% training speed bonus redundant.

Original system: average stat of 9 = 13.5 SP/minute, 30k-180k in skills you din't get to choose
Older system: average stat of 9 = 13.5 Sp/minute, with 800k in skills you didn't get to choose
Old system: average stat of 9 = 13.5 SP/minute, with 100% bonus = 27 SP/minute.
New system: average stat of 19 = 28.5 SP/minute

Obviously, implants complicate the equation; under the old system you'd get more out of them, but it took longer to get them as well. On balance, and especially taking into account the 5.3M SP worth of "free" learning skills, I'd say that the new system is better for genuinely new players, but less good for old players making alts. (New players generally can't afford a full set of +4 or +5s to maximise the early training bonus).

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#11 - 2011-10-03 14:07:31 UTC
**** Jones wrote:
CCP Spitfire wrote:
Hello Alexis Cornell,

Hope that helps.

CCP Greyscale Dev Blog wrote:
If you find yourself repeatedly training up sub-3m SP alts for specific tasks and then binning them, this may inconvenience you slightly. Sorry. On the other hand, each one will now cost you 20m ISK less, so count your blessings there. Also, recycling alts is against the rules and will get you banned.

ShockedHoly Crap, can I get a clarification on this? I may unknowingly be violating a rule I didn't know existed.

Recycling alts to evade security status penalties has always been an exploit since I've been playing.

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Othran
Route One
#12 - 2011-10-04 07:11:47 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Recycling alts to evade security status penalties has always been an exploit since I've been playing.

Also recycling scamming alts is an exploit. As is recycling alts involved in corp theft.
Toshiro GreyHawk
#13 - 2011-10-04 08:58:28 UTC

Essentially, if you're bio massing the alt to rid yourself of it's reputation in some way - you might want to think twice about it as that may get you in trouble.

If on the other hand ... you just don't want the character and they haven't done anything wrong ... then you can bio mass them without fear.

I've deleted several characters, mostly because of unfortunate naming choices I didn't realize the significance of until after they were created. Fortunately, i hadn't put a lot into them before realizing my mistake.

The other character I bio massed - i created simply because I was to lazy to fly umpty squat jumps over to an area I wanted to check something out in - so I just created a character for that faction, had them check out what I wanted to see and then deleted them.

So ... it isn't like you can't delete characters. You can. You just aren't supposed to delete them to avoid carrying around the consequences of that characters actions.

Birin Taron
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2011-10-04 09:16:01 UTC
Alexis Cornell wrote:

This may be your version of initially. When I started you got like 50k fixed skillpoints depending on your race, ancestry and corp selection. The 900k thing got introduced way later.
Oh and I enjoyed it as it was.
Karim alRashid
Starboard.
#15 - 2011-10-04 09:33:29 UTC
And when I started, I had to go get the learning skills uphill, in the snow, both ways. With no shoes.

Pain is weakness leaving the body http://www.youtube.com/user/AlRashidKarim/videos

Birin Taron
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2011-10-04 10:18:29 UTC
Karim alRashid wrote:
And when I started, I had to go get the learning skills uphill, in the snow, both ways. With no shoes.

Of course I don't wear shoes in my pod either. And I prefer getting my skillbooks form space stations. If I had to get them from a mountain top I'd demand I could land a Rifter there. Yes I know I'm totally weak.
KaarBaak
Squirrel Team
#17 - 2011-10-04 15:32:16 UTC
Toshiro GreyHawk wrote:
Well, the sad thing about all of this from my POV was that it made the game worse, especially for new players.

The worst thing you can do to many new players - is to give them what they want.

A game that is harder and has greater complexity - is generally a better game than one that is simplistic and easily mastered.

Giving new players the opportunity to do something for it's long term benefit rather than going after short term goals gave those players with some foresight an advantage over those who were impatient. Most MMO's reward the impatient - as they are the biggest whiners - and whining works. EVE once rewarded those with foresight who trained their learning skills - it now encourages the impatient.

The biggest down side to the new player - was that during the time they spent acquiring those learning skills - they were playing the game at a relatively easy level and learning about how it worked. When they lost that time they spent getting their learning skills up - they lost that in game experience they were gaining at the same time.

Now ... they are able to concentrate on moving up to bigger ships and better missions faster - when they often are not really ready for them. So they go out, get blown up, lose everything because they spent it all on that big ship they didn't know how to use and then don't know what to do.

Now - the mantra is "Get To Level IV Missions As Fast As You Can" regardless of anything else.

Ignoring the cost to people who've lost everything they had by foolishly spending it all on a ship they subsequently lost ... OK - so they're now at Level IV Missions ... now what? You can put fancier stuff on your ship so that you can run Level IV's even faster ... but so what? The missions are still the same. So all you've done - is top out your Mission Running Career as fast as you could - so you can now spend your time running the same missions - over and over and over and over ad nausea ...

I can't imagine anything more boring than that.

Of course ... they can go do something else ... but the challenge of Mission Running (what challenge there was) is over.

It was like getting to BR20 in PS. OK ... now what? CR 5 - which I got ... then what?

*shrug*

Giving people what they want is not always doing them a favor ...

This argument was buried in so much of the learning skill debate rhetoric. It is also the cause of so much of the questions in this forum along the lines of:

"I just bought a freighter...what do I haul in it?"
"I just built a POS, what do I use it for?"
"Why is my Mach always getting killed in lvl4 missions?"
"Can someone post a good Nightmare PvP fit?"

New players are so concerned with getting the skills to do things, they don't understand why.

Dum Spiro Spero