These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

EvE still the meanest MMO around?

Author
Malak Dawnfire
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#1 - 2012-05-19 00:32:39 UTC
Years ago as I was shuffling through games, some easy and some mindbogglingly difficult to learn and for those I always remembered a chart.

http://www.freeallegiance.org/FAW/index.php/File:Learning_curves.JPG

EvE for the longest time has been claimed to be the toughest MMO to learn and get a grip on out there, not just by the players but even those that just watched the gameplay, saw the complex array of skills you could learn and, being an MMO, the massive timesink all this required.

Ignore the names on the bottom of the screen for a moment and even with all the "streamlining" that CCP has done to make the game more accessable, is it still the most difficult to grasp out there? I came here sometime in 2011, Incarna and while it's not easy by any means, I'm still able to learn simple concepts and apply them to my daily EvE life.

What I'm trying to ask is, has EvE catered too much to the "Casual" player and thus became easier to get your start in the world, compared to say, what the release was?
Bootleg Jack
ACME Mineral and Gas
#2 - 2012-05-19 00:34:40 UTC
It's not a puzzle with ony 3 pieces, but then that would not be fun would it?

I'm an American, English is my second language...

Istvaan Shogaatsu
Guiding Hand Social Club
#3 - 2012-05-19 00:38:22 UTC
Ah, memories.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#4 - 2012-05-19 00:41:44 UTC
I wouldn't say that it's become to easy, the learning cliff is still there and Eve still has the reputation of being a hardcore MMO. The thing with Eve is that it has depth, strategy, long term goals and suchlike to aim for, the quick running a few "dungeons" with some friends type of gameplay works but to really "get" the game you have to be prepared to spend time in it.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#5 - 2012-05-19 00:45:31 UTC
No, EVE is still steep as ever. Those of us that have been around a while 'get it', but I have friends that try it and think I'm crazy. If you can get over the initial train wreck of a start (which is a little better now than when I started) you can see it more clearly, but yeah, that cliff is still there.

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Malak Dawnfire
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2012-05-19 00:50:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Malak Dawnfire
MadMuppet wrote:
No, EVE is still steep as ever. Those of us that have been around a while 'get it', but I have friends that try it and think I'm crazy. If you can get over the initial train wreck of a start (which is a little better now than when I started) you can see it more clearly, but yeah, that cliff is still there.

I figured that it was and I've been through quite a few MMOs "Themeparks" but you get the idea, most of them complain about "dumbing" down the game for newer players and I'm a little surprised you don't see that here and it makes the game stand out.

I think if you get outside of the EvE community it's generally thought of as a game that takes bored executives at a company to play and all about spreadsheets. ( Mhmm..spreadsheets.) It's funny in a way, looking back at it now and I hope the game stays like this, difficult not just because of the mechanics in place but of players as well.
Lipbite
Express Hauler
#7 - 2012-05-19 01:05:47 UTC
Hi-sec PvE missioning, mining, "low-grade" craft is now streamlined thanks to tutorials. Other EVE activities (PvP, scam, trade, t2 craft, incursions, exploration, wormholes, planets interaction) are still "un-intuitive" and somewhat hard to get into unless you are super-motivated and not-so-casual player with EVE affection.
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#8 - 2012-05-19 01:13:15 UTC
It is only in the most brutal environment that I feel like I can realize my potential. Currently, there is no game that even approaches what you can do in eve. Commitment level is only determined by the specifics of how you reap other players. I've been playing casually (that may change soon) and I feel like I do great at medium scale. If I am afforded the opportunity to play more I actually want to take it to a smaller scale and savor the chaos. Eve is definitely the meanest around.

That said, it can also be the nicest, given you have the opportunity to form infinitely large organizations of friends. Ultimately the whole good/bad thing doesn't enter it. You can do more in eve period.

/my2isk

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Morganta
The Greater Goon
#9 - 2012-05-19 02:41:45 UTC
define "mean"

all multiplayer games have some degree of meanness
Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#10 - 2012-05-19 04:13:47 UTC
What sets this game apart is the depth.

For a much meaner game. Try Diablo 2 hardcore mode. Now that will make you throw your computer out the window and look for a high vantage point
I dont normally troll, but when i do i do it on General Discussion.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#11 - 2012-05-19 04:14:32 UTC
Karn Dulake wrote:
What sets this game apart is the depth.

For a much meaner game. Try Diablo 2 hardcore mode. Now that will make you throw your computer out the window and look for a high vantage point

Let's NOT make jokes about what people do when their hulks get blown up....

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-05-19 04:43:10 UTC
MadMuppet wrote:

When I started there was a 30 minute tutorial that showed you how to undock and fire your weapons then threw you into the real Eve Shocked

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#13 - 2012-05-19 05:19:30 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
MadMuppet wrote:

When I started there was a 30 minute tutorial that showed you how to undock and fire your weapons then threw you into the real Eve Shocked

Yah. When I could finally fly a cruiser I got a caracal and pimped it with arablast launchers. 10 minutes after going into low sec for the first time I was in a f***ing pod. The cliff is still there... Big smile

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Boomhaur
#14 - 2012-05-19 06:23:48 UTC
While you were gone we all got better at being Evil Sick Sadistic Bastards, so yes were still the meanest people out there in terms of MMO's.

And the learning curve is still there, we like to keep it there for ol time sake, though we are now using a T2 bulldozer with resists to screams of pain and agony so the guy driving it can still hear after his shift.

Welcome to Eve. Everyone here is an Evil Sick Sadistic Bastard who is out to get you. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either trying to scam you or use you.

Tobiaz
Spacerats
#15 - 2012-05-19 06:59:50 UTC
EVE becoming 'easier' is not only the fault of CCP, but players themselves as well. Tools like public killboards and sites that track corporations and players, make gathering intel laughably easy for example.

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

Himnos Altar
An Errant Venture
#16 - 2012-05-19 07:40:59 UTC
Boomhaur wrote:
While you were gone we all got better at being Evil Sick Sadistic Bastards, so yes were still the meanest people out there in terms of MMO's.

And the learning curve is still there, we like to keep it there for ol time sake, though we are now using a T2 bulldozer with resists to screams of pain and agony so the guy driving it can still hear after his shift.

We've got a cov ops scout on every approach, btw, with cloaked dictors ready to bubble you soon as you try to run.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#17 - 2012-05-19 08:47:03 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
MadMuppet wrote:

They teach you to undock and shoot things.

I mean what about mining?

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Simi Kusoni
HelloKittyFanclub
#18 - 2012-05-19 11:27:22 UTC
It's easier to make a reasonable amount of money as a newbie than when I started, since you can now earn a pretty decent base rate without leaving high sec. But making billions in a day still takes some srs bizness effort.

[center]"I don't troll, I just give overly blunt responses that annoy people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It's not my fault that people have sensitive feelings"  -MXZF[/center]

Florestan Bronstein
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2012-05-19 14:47:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Florestan Bronstein
EVE never was "the meanest" MMO around.

Try playing Darkfall Online for an example of a MMO that is "meaner" than EVE - the game sucks in several ways and is pretty depopulated these days but its design does make EVE look like Hello Kitty Online (think EVE with a skill-oriented combat system, without high-sec and without overview/scanner)
Ohanka
#20 - 2012-05-19 15:16:29 UTC
Eve promotes communism

North Korea is Best Korea

12Next page