These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A real space UI that is actually futuristic and functional.

Author
Xavier Baudin
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-04-10 20:41:04 UTC
I keep wondering: "Why do we have to work with windows?"

If you take the UIs displayed in the Dominion trailer, or the Butterfly Effect trailer, my heart starts beating faster. "Now that would be cool!"

Create a UI based upon that. Make it context driven. What you select or what you do, or based upon what happens you get different info. Make it an actual futuristic HUD.

This game is mostly about combat, yet I cannot see the majority of what is going on due to all those windows cluttering up my screen. There must be more innovative ways to create a UI that is similar to what you guys used in your trailers that can actually work in the game.

With context driven, I mean that when I hover my mouse over something, the info is displayed. A bit like what is being used in the Captain's Quarters, but more light weight. If nothing else, for those who want it you can leave the task bar in there, but at least give us an alternative to all those windows. Make it light and fast, but functional.

I personally would kill for something like that. As it is now, a large part of all the great graphics are obscured by whatever window I am looking at when I am out in space. Even that one in the upper right corner of the screen. I mean, I only want to see what I need. When I am traveling I could care less about stations and such, then I just want to see other ships and jump gates.
However, when I engage in combat I want to see what threats are out there, etc.

It shouldn't be too hard to implement since it is used in combat flight simulators that simulate modern day HUDs. The concept is really the same, the design would just have to be futuristic and 'space' like.

Unfortunately I am not a graphical designer, but I reckon that it is clear what I mean. At least the rough basics of it. I think that the main objective should be to get rid of all the windows and make sure what replaces it is light, fast and functional.
Also, it does not make much sense in the context of the EVE universe, to not have a professional HUD. I mean, how do those pilots know what is going on around them? Clicking icons to open windows that obscure their view?
Sure, they are in a pod, but I do think that for the average player the appeal of EVE would increase quite a bit with a decent HUD type of UI instead of what we have to work with now.

Just my 2 cents. Cool
killorbekilled TBE
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-04-10 20:55:59 UTC
take a look at this my freind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME2815NN-Xc

:)

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#3 - 2012-04-10 21:31:42 UTC
I would be happy with a self adjusting overview, rather than having to bounce between tabs.

Make it something like a smart overview. We already tweak it for how things are displayed, why not for WHEN things show up?

Example: A pilot in high sec is traveling along. His overview only shows gates and stations, since he needs to see those more often.
He has his overview flagged to include all ships in the event a pilot from a war-dec corp lands on grid with him. He could have told it to do this if that pilot was just in the same system even.
It could also be set to react to pilots with below a specific security rating.

Low or null sec? If the pilot is not blue to you, you can switch from a gate list to a PvP oriented overview.

Panic mode? all warp targetable destinations your ship is pointing at or close to are arranged on the overview by your current time to orient and warp out.

These are space ships with sophisticated computers. This makes sense they can do this for us.
Xavier Baudin
Doomheim
#4 - 2012-04-10 21:52:17 UTC
killorbekilled TBE wrote:

Looks promising. I really hope this will be implemented, because as it is things look pretty outdated.

Just like Nikk Narrel is mentioning: these are advance space ships. Heck, they have the technology to keep people immortal. Surely what I am suggesting makes sense in EVE.

Does anyone know whether what is shown in the video as planned by the devs? Or is it still all concept art that needs to be approved of?
Oberine Noriepa
#5 - 2012-04-10 22:28:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Oberine Noriepa
I couldn't agree more. The UI needs to be heavily revamped and simplified, but not regressive in its functionality. The concepts shown at Fanfest look to be a step in the correct direction. Hopefully we'll see something fruitful regarding those concepts in the near future.

Xavier Baudin wrote:

Looks promising. I really hope this will be implemented, because as it is things look pretty outdated.

Just like Nikk Narrel is mentioning: these are advance space ships. Heck, they have the technology to keep people immortal. Surely what I am suggesting makes sense in EVE.

Does anyone know whether what is shown in the video as planned by the devs? Or is it still all concept art that needs to be approved of?

The content in that video is no longer a work in progress, but there does seem to be some desire in revamping the UI. This was mentioned at Fanfest quite a bit.

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2012-04-10 22:36:43 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
I would be happy with a self adjusting overview, rather than having to bounce between tabs.

Make it something like a smart overview. We already tweak it for how things are displayed, why not for WHEN things show up?

Example: A pilot in high sec is traveling along. His overview only shows gates and stations, since he needs to see those more often.
He has his overview flagged to include all ships in the event a pilot from a war-dec corp lands on grid with him. He could have told it to do this if that pilot was just in the same system even.
It could also be set to react to pilots with below a specific security rating.

Low or null sec? If the pilot is not blue to you, you can switch from a gate list to a PvP oriented overview.

Panic mode? all warp targetable destinations your ship is pointing at or close to are arranged on the overview by your current time to orient and warp out.

These are space ships with sophisticated computers. This makes sense they can do this for us.

We could have a few different options, and the ability to flick between them with a click too.
Commander Karin
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-05-17 19:34:49 UTC

pleaaaaaase make it happen!! Visual improvements are important to the game, they need to improve the HUD, seriously, there are great ideas in the video, most things are the same but different, and that is important too.

PinkKnife
The Cuddlefish
Ethereal Dawn
#8 - 2012-05-18 18:31:46 UTC

Holy space-balls that is ******* amazing. Make this happen.
Commander Karin
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-05-18 20:47:23 UTC
Well, correct me if I'm wrong. But if this video was made so we can expect this new updates soon, maybe in the next eve update I think. *fingercross*

Oberine Noriepa
#10 - 2012-05-18 21:09:32 UTC
Commander Karin wrote:
Well, correct me if I'm wrong. But if this video was made so we can expect this new updates soon, maybe in the next eve update I think. *fingercross*

Inferno will feature a new inventory system as well as updates to the war declaration menus. As for anything else... I would expect it in the winter expansion.

We'll see what happens, though. Smile