These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Ancillary Shield Boosters and Capacitor Batteries

Author
Immortis Vexx
Onyx Moon Industries
#21 - 2012-05-15 21:58:11 UTC
Gomohr wrote:
I see more of a use for this in PVE than in PVP. Every mission boat that relies on a burst tank (such as my lvl4 mael) gets a free slot in mid now as the cap booster can GTFO. And the burst repair is way better. This will provide us carebears with a more efficient way to blitz our way through missions.

The only problem with that is the fact that missions and such are sustained for longer periods of time than PVP combat. For a mission you would want something that you can keep running constantly right? The 1 min reload time on these would be catastrophic for a mission runner.

Vexx
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#22 - 2012-05-15 22:11:29 UTC
Immortis Vexx wrote:
Gomohr wrote:
I see more of a use for this in PVE than in PVP. Every mission boat that relies on a burst tank (such as my lvl4 mael) gets a free slot in mid now as the cap booster can GTFO. And the burst repair is way better. This will provide us carebears with a more efficient way to blitz our way through missions.

The only problem with that is the fact that missions and such are sustained for longer periods of time than PVP combat. For a mission you would want something that you can keep running constantly right? The 1 min reload time on these would be catastrophic for a mission runner.

Vexx

Most high end mission ships are nowhere near capstable. For instance, my favorite NM fit is *almost* (24m) cap stable with guns only, and that drops to 4m when you turn on the Cap Booster and Shield Booster. And yet in most missions, it doesn't use more than one or two Cap charges.

A Mach fit that I like has 6m of cap with its Cap and Shield boosters running, and is in the same boat as the NM on usage.

Both of these Ships put out over 1000 DPS and cost under 2B Isk (1.5 for the NM, 1.9 for the Mach).

Good mission boats run down incoming DPS fast enough that their sustained tank is mostly irrelevant, and sometimes fast enough that the Burst tank is barely relevant.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#23 - 2012-05-16 00:09:55 UTC
I'll just leave this here-

Cap Battery

It says "reflect" in the description now.
Karak Bol
Low-Sec Survival Ltd.
#24 - 2012-05-16 07:18:37 UTC
Yes, the basic idea behind this, is, that the Neuter/NOS neuts itself, therefore the positive balance of "Activation of Neut-Mod/Neuted Energy" is changed, maybe to a negative. And at that point, activating a Neut on an enemy ship is killing your own cap. In my opinion thats a very good way of countering Neuts. If only cap batteries would have a bit lower fitting reqs. On the other Hand, fitting a small battery to a BC or a medium to a BS doesnt hurt as much. How about Fitting a large one to a carrier?
Mavnas
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2012-05-17 18:11:22 UTC
So would fitting two cap batteries reflect 50%?
Aeril Malkyre
Knights of the Ouroboros
#26 - 2012-05-17 19:10:30 UTC
Immortis Vexx wrote:
Gomohr wrote:

Vexx
My lvl 4 Mael only uses the booster to patch up while heading for the next acceleration gate. If I'm having to use it to survive, I've messed up badly somewhere. I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard the 25% shield alarm since I started 4's.

If these do as advertised, I could free a slot for even stronger tank with another hardener or invuln, and chow down a couple batteries whenever I needed to top off. Sign me up.
Ares Renton
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#27 - 2012-05-17 21:43:05 UTC
The changes to batteries are a little... dumb. What's the point of it being like this? It's not intuitive at all, and if you're being neuted/nossed you want a cap booster regardless.

Cap Batteries should be fixed by being a minimum, unneutable reservoir as one poster suggested.
Salo Aldeland
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2012-05-17 22:10:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Salo Aldeland
Cap booster is active tank for your cap, battery is buffer tank. This make sense to me, but there's a niggle in there somewhere complicating things and I can't really nail down exactly what it is. Somebody who knows more than I do could probably work out how much cap buffer a battery would need to provide in order to work, and how much fitting it would take to be worth it. I suspect passive cap regen rates would need to be looked at as well, so that cap buffer and passive regen are separated out a little more for than they are now. There's just something about the current balance of regen, boosting and buffer and the mods/rigs that affect them that isn't quite in harmony. My 0.02 ISK as a really lazy and frequently stoned mission runner whose practical knowledge of cap is to stack regen till my tank is stable so I don't die if I forget to click a button.
Klown Walk
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2012-05-17 22:37:53 UTC
Wonder if it´s viable to use the cap shield booster and a normal shield booster for pvp. Use the normal one as always and activate the other one when you are starting to break.
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#30 - 2012-05-18 02:09:22 UTC
Does anyone happen to know how batteries interact with NPC neuts? If it helped even a little, it might point towards some fairly specific fits for an exploration Ishtar in Blood Raider space. But maybe I should just suck it up and hop on Sisi myself....
Cosmoes
Peraka
#31 - 2012-05-18 07:13:58 UTC
These are gonna make nasty station game ships....

I once had an similar idea for arty with the massive damage then long reload time to make some killer hit and run ships.... though they just got a good old normal boost by CCP and didn't need any fixes.
Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#32 - 2012-05-18 08:00:10 UTC
Sounds like those boosters need a tweak or two .. a bit insane that they can hold that many charges and get a full cycle regardless of charge size. If they are to have room for that many, then surely it makes sense to base boost amount on charge used.

Random Musings:
Is CCPs master plan to pigeon hole armour into buffer and shields into active? Shields already have implants and drugs to augment them .. wish they had made this first charge fed module an armour repairer as active armour is a lot worse off than shield ditto.

Perhaps this is a precursor to links coming on-grid and these are designed to act as indirect tank boosts to the CS .. a Claymore will be nigh indestructible with one of these (XL) .. even if time limited, it buys time to get range and/or nuke tackle Smile

How the hell does CCP expect armour platforms to compete on the small scale if these go live? Imagine trying to kill a Rifter or any other ship with mids to shield tank when these are in play. The small fights are usually decided in a 30-60 second window and if the shield parties have a massively bloated active tank for majority of that time .. Sad.
Whisperen
Resilience.
The Initiative.
#33 - 2012-05-24 11:21:52 UTC
As a plus if the target has a ancillary shield booster tanked ship its probably minmatar or caldari in that case using a Nosferatu is a good idea they will have a full capacitor letting you drain their cap. Also less boosters used by a active armor tanker means you will out last their faster burning shield tank.

Active Tormentor beats active Rifter hands down every time.
Hail Goddess
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2012-05-24 12:01:28 UTC
Has anyone tried to use these modules on frigates? Merlin and Rifter in particular, but also Hawk, Harpy and Jaguar. I've also thought about using a Ancillary Shield Booster on a Thrasher and Cormorant.

This thing might be like a new renaissance of lame. Like using a XL Ancillary Shield Booster on a Moa. I was also looking @ using this module on a Vagabond, Gila, and Phantasm.
Hail Goddess
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#35 - 2012-05-24 12:41:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Hail Goddess
Forget it. The 60 second reload time is interesting. I wonder if it's not better to just run this thing off of a reg cap booster. Then, when **** hits the fan. You switch. Thing is. The booster doesn't allow you to do so.

I'll most likely use 1 shield booster and 1 Ancillary Shield Booster in bc's and above. Kinda like dual armor repairs. Frigates can use this thing, but it's really annoying. BTW. I'm not sure why someone wouldn't overload this thing everytime. You do go threw boosters alot quicker, but you get a increase in shield boost. Still have to wait the 60 seconds.

1 cap booster for each cycle. The 60 second reload time is hella annoying. Well, with dual cap boosters a Cyclone would benifit from this module alittle. However, you could just use a xl shield booster for the same effect.

Dual Ancillary Shield Boosters make some sense though. You could stagger . Activate the other Ancillary Shield Booster @ the end of the others cycle. So that's 1 of the most effective options.

1 shield booster and 1 Ancillary Shield Booster or 2 Ancillary Shield Boosters. The later seems to work alot better. Esp if you have capacitor.

Cyclone
Damage Control II
Tracking Enhancer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II

Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 150
Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 150
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
10MN MicroWarpdrive II
Warp Scrambler II

425mm AutoCannon II
425mm AutoCannon II
425mm AutoCannon II
425mm AutoCannon II
425mm AutoCannon II
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Core Defense Operational Solidifier I
Klown Walk
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2012-05-24 13:44:38 UTC
Having 3 empty high slots is really bad.
TomyLobo
U2EZ
#37 - 2012-05-24 13:52:16 UTC
The only way around it is to fit two ancillary shield boosters, which is the most you can get away with without causing too much harm to your overall setup, then balance the use of each one, minimizing the effect of the long reload time.
Previous page12