These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Change to Black Ops

Author
xVx dreadnaught
modro
Northern Coalition.
#1 - 2012-05-17 13:37:25 UTC
I wish the Black Ops ships had more purpose.

The only one I believe has much of a purpose in small scale combat is the Widow with it's ECM bonus.

I understand the other ships are useful when cov ops hotdropping, but they could be made much more useful if the ships inherited their racial Ewar speciality. This tweak would in my mind make them a lot more useful on the field. Why jump your black ops ship in when you could bridge in a pair of Force Recon Ships. That can not only move around cloaked but provide an actual role to a fight.

Sin

Battleship Skill: 10% Bonus to drone hitpoints and damage and 5% Remote Sensor Dampener effectiveness per level

Black Ops: 20% bonus to warp disruptor range and 5% bonus to agility per level skill

Redeemer*

Battleship Skill: 20% bonuse to Energy Vampire and Energy Neutralizer transfer amount and 25% bonus to large energy turret damage level

Black Ops: 7.5% bonus to large energy turret tracking and 5% bonus to large energy turretrate of fire per level

Panther

Battleship Skill: 5% bonus to large projectile turret rate of fire and 5% bonus to large projectile damage per level

Black Ops: 5% bonus to velocity and 60% bonus to stasis webifier range

* - 3 turret hard points on the Redeemer (this would only be fare since the Amarr Ewar of choice takes hi-slots and would reduce their damage on the field too much in comparison to the others)

I don't know how important the 125% bonus is to speed while cloaked actually is to flying Black Ops. Personally I'd give that up for being able to warp cloaked with Cov Ops cloak.
Im Super Gay
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-05-17 13:40:58 UTC
Black ops need more tank to be worth flying as well. How about we give the T2 ship T2 resists?
xVx dreadnaught
modro
Northern Coalition.
#3 - 2012-05-17 14:16:14 UTC
Im Super Gay wrote:
Black ops need more tank to be worth flying as well. How about we give the T2 ship T2 resists?

Really, I don't think giving them more tank would suit the purpose they were meant to have. Lightning strikes in small groups or to assist a bigger group.

I'd give them a bit higher resists, but not a huge boost.
L0rdF1end
Boondocks Industrial
Intaki-Business Logistics Union
#4 - 2012-05-17 14:52:43 UTC
xVx dreadnaught wrote:
Im Super Gay wrote:

Really, I don't think giving them more tank would suit the purpose they were meant to have. Lightning strikes in small groups or to assist a bigger group.

I'd give them a bit higher resists, but not a huge boost.

It's a T2 ship, It should have T2 resists.

I like your ideas though for additonal bonuses. Whatever bonuses given needs to support the way these ships are used.
It's your route home so you don't want it in the thick of the fight and should be used from range.

Bonuses look good thumbs up, +1
xVx dreadnaught
modro
Northern Coalition.
#5 - 2012-05-17 15:16:35 UTC
Not all T2 ships have T2 resists... Heavy assaults have great resist bonuses. Recon not so much, which is more what I see the Black Ops as being. A bigger harder hitting version of the Recon

You are after all spending a lot of isk on these ships, so it would make sense to have them a little tougher
xVx dreadnaught
modro
Northern Coalition.
#6 - 2012-05-18 07:31:31 UTC
Back to front page we go...

come on, we need to keep it on the front page if we expect CCP to read it
Pord
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-05-18 08:25:05 UTC
xVx dreadnaught wrote:

I don't know how important the 125% bonus is to speed while cloaked actually is to flying Black Ops. Personally I'd give that up for being able to warp cloaked with Cov Ops cloak.

I second this for sure. Its one of the main things I think that black ops really needs, is to be able to fit a covert cloak. Recons can fir them but why not the black ops? Also the fact that you can have them on bombers as well really begs the question why not black ops?

I think CCP need to take a long look at what they are really wanting to do with them. Are they wanting to be hit and run? Support? etc.
Once we get a better idea on what CCP would like their role to be then we could come up with some potential changes which would be more inline with what they were after.

Personally I think they should have their resists increased a lot as you can have more tank on a T1 version in some cases. Im not too sure that a T2 resist would work as it may give them too much power. If not their resists then surely have their base HP increased. However to increase their base HP it could cause some of the ships to have a higher mass/sig radius which would work against them.

Jump Range.... I think this should also be increased. At the moment they cannot jump massive distances with max skills. This would potentially make them a little more viable in a covert role. This would potentially enable you to get the bomber wings to somewhere decent for a strike with less warning.

WOGAN IN THE V.I.P    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ4q80YVdks

Cosmoes
Peraka
#8 - 2012-05-18 08:28:49 UTC
Would love to see some more use for blackops (then I'd actually bother buying one)

Couple suggestions

Maybe an idea for panther is give it a web amount boost similar to some of the marauders, not sure which bonus it would replace.

Redeemer, I might change the rof bonus to a neut range bonus... not sure.

random slightly off topic idea.

I once had an idea for a blackops boost by creating a cyno interdiction module, it would act like a cyno but pull any target that jumped into system to the nearest one (including enemies cyno'ing into system). Would be used to counter gangs jumping around, jump bridges and try and pull off ganks on travelling caps. Would be it's own counter as a friendly would be closer. Would also need to appear on overview after anything jumps to prevent sneaking a fleet into system.
HeavensGuard
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-05-18 08:59:51 UTC
I completely agree with this, the fist black ops I trained up for was the Redeemer and I quickly and painfully found out how useless it is, they all need to get the equivalent bonuses of the Recons, the only one of use atm is the Widow and even that still isn't that good

You think you die and everything will be sugar and rainbows ?

Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#10 - 2012-05-18 11:55:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Robert Caldera
black ops are far from being useless.
Place a covert cyno somewhere, look for targets.
If you got one, drop a few black ops on it... or bridge a gang of bombers on top of it -> profit.

The first works with few people available, the second works if you got more people participating.
Yes, its no solo boat, even though it even works solo when hotdropping a carebear, but
the less blackops are involved the higher is the risk of doing that - its all fine with this.

Giving Black Ops Covert Cloak would make them way too overpowered.

btw. dont touch the fuggin Redeemer, its great as damage BO!
xVx dreadnaught
modro
Northern Coalition.
#11 - 2012-05-18 14:49:28 UTC  |  Edited by: xVx dreadnaught
Robert Caldera wrote:
black ops are far from being useless.
Place a covert cyno somewhere, look for targets.
If you got one, drop a few black ops on it... or bridge a gang of bombers on top of it -> profit.

The first works with few people available, the second works if you got more people participating.
Yes, its no solo boat, even though it even works solo when hotdropping a carebear, but
the less blackops are involved the higher is the risk of doing that - its all fine with this.

Giving Black Ops Covert Cloak would make them way too overpowered.

btw. dont touch the fuggin Redeemer, its great as damage BO!

well, my suggeested change to the redeemer would give it more DPS about than it currently has, with available hi-slots for Nos/Neut warfare. Making it a more valuable asset to a fleet. 3 turrets with 125% bonus would be equal to 6.75 turrets, then the ROF bonus which it already has, would stack up ontop of it. you wouldn't need the cap bonus of 50% which it also currently has because you would be using 50% of the number of guns. It would be more like a black ops bhaalgorn.

The only reason I suggest the 3 slots for guns, instead is that every other race in eve has their preferred Ewar in their mid-slots. But the most effective non-DPS warfare amarr do is Neuts.

Also, I wasn't meaning it as a solo boat... Like you said they are great if you can jump in on a target with a cov ops ship, but you don't have the tank to hold the target all that long, which is why I'd suggest giving them an Ewar tank. The Sin would point at distance, and be able to keep someone on the field while others jump to them. A Panther would be able to tackle them with webs and stop them burning out of range of the Sin and it's point as well as the Redeemer being a nos/neut boat. so when the rest of your party arrive you've already started capping them out.

I kinda more saw them as great ideas for tackling carriers in Cyno Jammed systems. Personally I don't think the standard cloak is any use at all, unless you are already in location, laying in wait for someone to take some bait... and as fun as that may be... it's not exactly what Black Ops is all about. To me Black Ops would be more designed to lightening strikes behind enemy lines. And you can't move about covertly without a cov cloak. So it doesn't really fit the purpose without a cov ops cloak
xVx dreadnaught
modro
Northern Coalition.
#12 - 2012-05-19 07:08:18 UTC
Bumps back to the front page... come on, need more ideas and feedback
Jayrendo Karr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-05-19 16:16:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Jayrendo Karr
If you dont mind spending a lot a widow can overload to tank 3k+ dps. But if you can afford a widow, you probably afford deadspace and faction mods. It could probably go higher if you were crazy enough to officer fit. If you can afford officer and are crazy enough to use it you can overload to 4k dps tank using caps boosters.
Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#14 - 2012-05-19 16:36:58 UTC
Tank is the issue.
A redeemer has less than a Harbinger and that's the case for all the Black Ops.

If they got buffed to Command ship level resists, they would still die. No matter how high the EHP is it won't be higher than a freighter and they melt under focus fire in minutes. Refusing to buff them on some pretentious notion, it's to save save small gang PvP? Don't bother. Hot dropping killed that years ago. A CS resist Black Ops would just shift the game back to sub cap in certain cases.

They won't do it though. They have it in their head it would some how ruin the game to actually put more tank in the game and nothing we say seems to matter.
xVx dreadnaught
modro
Northern Coalition.
#15 - 2012-05-19 17:03:21 UTC
Jayrendo Karr wrote:
If you dont mind spending a lot a widow can overload to tank 3k+ dps. But if you can afford a widow, you probably afford deadspace and faction mods. It could probably go higher if you were crazy enough to officer fit. If you can afford officer and are crazy enough to use it you can overload to 4k dps tank using caps boosters.

Problem is, if you're taking a Widow to a fight then you are mostly going to be making most of it for it's ECM tank than anything else. Personal tank helps you. ECM tank helps everyone in the fleet. Especially if you are ECM'ing out a logistics platform, because a small nimble fleet with no actual logistics ship hitting a small group with logistics is in trouble unless you can neutralise the logi factor and ECM is the easiest way to do that.

Also, I'm looking on ways that we can make the Black Ops ships viable for PVP. And PVP is about making budget choices, yes you can splash out on some things. But you have to try and be as expendable as you can with a PVP ship.
xVx dreadnaught
modro
Northern Coalition.
#16 - 2012-05-19 17:13:44 UTC
Skydell wrote:
Tank is the issue.
A redeemer has less than a Harbinger and that's the case for all the Black Ops.

If they got buffed to Command ship level resists, they would still die. No matter how high the EHP is it won't be higher than a freighter and they melt under focus fire in minutes. Refusing to buff them on some pretentious notion, it's to save save small gang PvP? Don't bother. Hot dropping killed that years ago. A CS resist Black Ops would just shift the game back to sub cap in certain cases.

They won't do it though. They have it in their head it would some how ruin the game to actually put more tank in the game and nothing we say seems to matter.

Sov and Cyno jammers make it so that the big null blocks can choose where and when to hot-drop with capable ships. They use titan-bridges to send BS fleets as well as cyno-jumping capitals on targets.

The Idea I feel for black ops would be to catch people in these Sov-Owned systems with their pants down. A cov-ops or recon ship sees a carrier or faction BS on it's own in an anom or at a belt or doing something silly because he's in a cyno jammed system with bubbles on the gates so one in local isn't alarm enough to stop farming Anoms/belt rats. When suddenly the cov-ops decloaks and points him, then pops a cyno for his back up. Now Recons and Stealth bombers can do the trick... But when the carrier pilot may have back up close to hand taking him out as quick as possible is a must. So Black Ops ships would make this job a lot more efficient and a more formidable force in case they bring in an opposing fleet.
Tarn Kugisa
Kugisa Dynamics
#17 - 2012-05-19 18:19:25 UTC
Widows make basically anything within view **** bricks if it decloaks.

One of my friend's alts did that to me and I literally shat bricks

Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to troll everyone you meet - KuroVolt

xVx dreadnaught
modro
Northern Coalition.
#18 - 2012-05-19 18:38:26 UTC
Tarn Kugisa wrote:
Widows make basically anything within view **** bricks if it decloaks.

One of my friend's alts did that to me and I literally shat bricks

Yes, and the widow is kick ass... but you don't get that kinda feeling about the others. And that's what needs fixed. The Redeemer needs to become a great big version of the Pilgrim, the Panther like the Rapier and the Sin like the Arazu... Only with bigger teeth and more DPS. (extra tank would be nice)