These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Question: What one thing is really hurting EVE?

Author
Dawn Flare
Cutthroat Industries
Viral Society
#141 - 2012-05-16 08:19:03 UTC
Jake Warbird wrote:
Dawn Flare wrote:
Jake Warbird wrote:
Mind numbingly boring PVE content.

Take some friends, its much more fun.

And for true fun, bring along some enemies! Pirate

I do run l4s and incursions. But I only do because it funds my occasional roam into low and I get plastered. I don't get to play more than 2 hours or so everyday, so I'm kinda strapped for ISK more time than not.

I do agree with you on the 'fun' bit. PVE for me is always a means to an end. Smile

This toon makes 0 isk. Exists almost solely to fly an orca/rorq and boost my buddies mining, and I can't bring myself to charge for more than gas when all I really do is sit in a pos and chat.

Amazingly fun to sit in a pos and chat tho, when we got 5-10 people involved in a mining op Cool

Too bad rorquals and orcas are so expensive to lose tho Bear
Josef Djugashvilis
#142 - 2012-05-16 08:35:07 UTC
Adding shiny new bits without first fixing the many known faults with the old bits.

This is not a signature.

Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#143 - 2012-05-16 09:07:00 UTC
Local
Supercaps
Jump drives
Battlecruisers
Freighters in highsec
Kehro Urgus
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#144 - 2012-05-16 10:18:43 UTC
Ponies.

Yeeee! 

Rel'k Bloodlor
Federation Front Line Report
Federation Front Line
#145 - 2012-05-16 10:23:20 UTC
The lack of a FW exlusive faction frigg to go with the BS and cruiser.

It's killing the game.

I wanted to paint my space ship red, but I couldn't find enough goats. 

Tora Bushido
The Marmite Mercenaries
BLACKFLAG.
#146 - 2012-05-16 10:30:26 UTC
Metal head plates.

DELETE THE WEAK, ADAPT OR DIE !

Meta Gaming Level VII, Psycho Warfare Level X, Smack Talk Level VII.

Darrow Hill
Vodka and Vice
#147 - 2012-05-16 10:33:15 UTC
Market bots.
Dawn Flare
Cutthroat Industries
Viral Society
#148 - 2012-05-16 10:39:41 UTC
Kehro Urgus wrote:
Ponies.

Pony Haters.
Jack Paladin
State War Academy
Caldari State
#149 - 2012-05-16 10:40:59 UTC
Fredfredbug4 wrote:
People who try to change the game before trying to adapt.

This dude just won eve.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#150 - 2012-05-16 12:53:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Indahmawar Fazmarai
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Apparently we're not alone, as that post has gathered many likes in less than 24 hours.

Amidst the usual f* hiseccers/carebears/non PvPers posts, I can't see in this thread any other issue more serious than this one. EVE's population is growing older, not younger, wereas almost every bit of endgame content is aimed at consuming large chunks of time and commitment. Large chunks which people with a life probably should be devoting to something else, or can't devote to barely nothing, let alone a video game.

What can you achieve in EVE within a pomodoro? Try to answer that and worry if you really care about the game's long term prospects.

Also, keep telling people that they must lose forever the fruits of months of commitment for a few minutes AFK because their baby strated crying and you gonna succeed in pushing them into the arms of your competitors...

The elderly "how do i babby with job?" demographic isn't the target of the video game industry anyway. Those people shouldn't be the focus of the development process. If the player base is growing older at such an alarming rate, then something is terribly wrong with that process, because the game is obviously not attracting younger players. In fact, it might be a sign that CCP is focusing on these older players, who are going to quit anyway simply because they're too busy to play games as they get older.

If EVE is dumbed down with autopilot features such as arena pvp and high-sec invulnerability in order to appeal to the "play while feed babby" crowd at the expense of the type of players that gave it long-term success, then it's going to be in a very difficult position, since the former won't notice, and the latter will be alienated.

It's like making soup out of a sandwich; neither the youngsters nor the old, toothless folk will be interested in the final product, albeit for entirely different reasons.

Uninformed chatter will only take you as far as here:

EVE's average player is 34 years old and that average has been growing every year.

Player loyalty? Of course. But also that once you've played everything, then there are not many aternatives left... how many "mature" games are out there? Let alone "mature" MMOs?

And yet EVE's endgame is better suit to jobless sociopaths than to sane people wiht a life. Good luck scaring the sh*t out of ADD children and fu**ing in every way people with a life who can only afford to play EVE in little pieces of time.
Internet Lawyer Steve
Doomheim
#151 - 2012-05-16 13:26:09 UTC
Fredfredbug4 wrote:
People who try to change the game before trying to adapt.

This.

Internet Lawyer Steve and Associates,

Bringing Justice to New Eden, One post at a time...

highonpop
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#152 - 2012-05-16 13:39:18 UTC
The one thing that is hurting eve?

Crybaby highsec carebears that don't understand EVE is a sandbox

Eventually the game weeds them out though, thankfully.

FC, what do?

Fabulousli Obvious
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#153 - 2012-05-16 13:46:40 UTC

And yet EVE's endgame is better suit to jobless sociopaths than to sane people wiht a life. Good luck scaring the sh*t out of ADD children and fu**ing in every way people with a life who can only afford to play EVE in little pieces of time.

"I Heartily Endorse This Statement"

This, more than anything else really.

2 Alt accounts expire in 5 days, the other 2 in about 4 weeks due to the mistake of paying up ahead of time.

My Casual A** is out of here. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I am NOT YOUNG ENOUGH to know EVERYTHING.  ~~ Oscar Wilde, writer, d. November 30, 1900

Spurty
#154 - 2012-05-16 14:11:58 UTC
Grath Telkin wrote:
the all seeing free intel giving window that is local

Got to ask what it's telling you?

Can you see what ships they are in?

Can you see if they are afk or at the computer?

Can you see their ships configuration?

Can you see who is I their fleet?

Can you tell if they are passing through or scouting a larger fleet?

Most of the above local doesn't help with. All except the most barmy suggestions give some of this information. I'm
Not sure eve is ever going to be fun with the suggestions vs local.

So although I'm questioning you here, I'm not disagreeing. F10 doubley so for intel. Rarely is the delay long enough to shroud activity.

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#155 - 2012-05-16 14:15:21 UTC

EVE's average player is 34 years old and that average has been growing every year.

Player loyalty? Of course. But also that once you've played everything, then there are not many aternatives left... how many "mature" games are out there? Let alone "mature" MMOs?

There is no "endgame" in a sandbox.

And you certainly appear very mature indeed.

There are two kinds of people, those who do, and those who make excuses.

bongsmoke
Visine Red
420 Chronicles of EvE
#156 - 2012-05-16 14:24:39 UTC
Tippia wrote:
bongsmoke wrote:
You think advice, even if its not your version, should be bannable?
Advice shouldn't be.
Tricking them into not playing the game and wasting their time on irrelevancies should be. It borders on RL fraud.

The things I listed isn't “advice” — it's blatant deception about how the game works and how to get the most out of it. It perpetuates the lie about having to train forever before doing anything. It perpetuates the lie about the helplessness and uselessness of newbies. This is griefing to the highest degree and is far more damaging than, say, can baiting, because while the latter exploits the newbies' unfamiliarity of the game mechanics, the former makes them never learn any mechanics to begin with.

This game, in case you haven't played it, is built around deception. You can get scammed, ransomed, blown to smithereens, but god and heaven forbid someone tells new players low/null sec should be avoided at all costs, your propaganda campaign is going nowhere.
Dors Venabily
United Starbase Systems
#157 - 2012-05-16 14:28:16 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
It's us, right?

Nahh

You are just anoying.
TRUE ZER0
SILENT INC
#158 - 2012-05-16 14:32:15 UTC
MNG
Dors Venabily
United Starbase Systems
#159 - 2012-05-16 14:33:05 UTC
Gypsio III wrote:
Local
Supercaps
Jump drives
Battlecruisers
Freighters in highsec

1 100 % agree
2 1000% agree
3 10000000% agree
4 Not sure bit of a problem but tier cide should mitigate that
5 it is not the ship it is the possibility to travel from one Empire to other one without crossing low sec.

Freighter sure can be in high but there shold be a low sec zone between each empires no jita to amarr to rens to Dodixie Afk runs.

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#160 - 2012-05-16 14:34:41 UTC
NPE should pod the new player at some point after giving them implants.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.