These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Question: What one thing is really hurting EVE?

Author
Niko medes
Freeman Technologies
#121 - 2012-05-16 06:06:47 UTC
local chat
xCabalx
The Wallstreet Bulls Corporation
#122 - 2012-05-16 06:16:29 UTC  |  Edited by: xCabalx
People having more than 1 char (up to 122). And I thought EVE was crowded.... you are up against x-xxx chars controlled by one human => That sucks! It prevents real teamwork/interaction with others (different specialization) because they can team up with themselves.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#123 - 2012-05-16 06:56:45 UTC
Zenethalos wrote:
My money is on the moon goo mechanic. It has created the super power blocks who would rather all blue up to not risk moon income then fight it out any more. Just like any opinion though this is open to debate and flaming.

Max Essen wrote:
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Currently? CCP's inability to tell what some players say from what EVE players actually do.

But on more general terms, EVE is suffering from the alienation of mature players who can't revolve their whole lives around a video game.

Bingo!

^This as a close second. I often wonder how many of the major voices treat this game as more of a job then a game and want to chastise those who don't or are unwilling to play the game they see it.

Apparently we're not alone, as that post has gathered many likes in less than 24 hours.

Amidst the usual f* hiseccers/carebears/non PvPers posts, I can't see in this thread any other issue more serious than this one. EVE's population is growing older, not younger, wereas almost every bit of endgame content is aimed at consuming large chunks of time and commitment. Large chunks which people with a life probably should be devoting to something else, or can't devote to barely nothing, let alone a video game.

What can you achieve in EVE within a pomodoro? Try to answer that and worry if you really care about the game's long term prospects.

Also, keep telling people that they must lose forever the fruits of months of commitment for a few minutes AFK because their baby strated crying and you gonna succeed in pushing them into the arms of your competitors...
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#124 - 2012-05-16 07:04:05 UTC
Missions, as they are.

They are repetitive, completely detached from the rest of the persistent universe, k-space, non-sansha NPC AI is terrible and the combat is ridiculously unrealistic.

Sycho Pathic
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#125 - 2012-05-16 07:07:24 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Multiboxing and alt accounts.

Being limited to one account per person would solve SOOOOO many problems.

But there'd only be 10 to 15 people online after that.
Johnny Rook
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#126 - 2012-05-16 07:11:40 UTC
Niko Takahashi wrote:
Jumpdrives

closely followed by ganglinks.
Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#127 - 2012-05-16 07:12:31 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Apparently we're not alone, as that post has gathered many likes in less than 24 hours.

Amidst the usual f* hiseccers/carebears/non PvPers posts, I can't see in this thread any other issue more serious than this one. EVE's population is growing older, not younger, wereas almost every bit of endgame content is aimed at consuming large chunks of time and commitment. Large chunks which people with a life probably should be devoting to something else, or can't devote to barely nothing, let alone a video game.

What can you achieve in EVE within a pomodoro? Try to answer that and worry if you really care about the game's long term prospects.

Also, keep telling people that they must lose forever the fruits of months of commitment for a few minutes AFK because their baby strated crying and you gonna succeed in pushing them into the arms of your competitors...

The elderly "how do i babby with job?" demographic isn't the target of the video game industry anyway. Those people shouldn't be the focus of the development process. If the player base is growing older at such an alarming rate, then something is terribly wrong with that process, because the game is obviously not attracting younger players. In fact, it might be a sign that CCP is focusing on these older players, who are going to quit anyway simply because they're too busy to play games as they get older.

If EVE is dumbed down with autopilot features such as arena pvp and high-sec invulnerability in order to appeal to the "play while feed babby" crowd at the expense of the type of players that gave it long-term success, then it's going to be in a very difficult position, since the former won't notice, and the latter will be alienated.

It's like making soup out of a sandwich; neither the youngsters nor the old, toothless folk will be interested in the final product, albeit for entirely different reasons.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#128 - 2012-05-16 07:14:19 UTC
Planetarian wrote:
jason hill wrote:
lack of content for players that are 8 years ...or older

Most players are 8 years or older :)

Ahaha, ziiing!

Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#129 - 2012-05-16 07:27:50 UTC
Niko medes wrote:
local chat

I hear that there's no local in wormholes. Why don't you go there?

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Morgan North
Dark-Rising
Wrecking Machine.
#130 - 2012-05-16 07:30:19 UTC
1. Apparent dificulty of getting into the game and suceeding.

2. Lack of visual costumization for ships. Two steps have been taken, new turrets and missile launcehrs, but we need to at least be able to change our ship's colours.

3. The fact entire ship classes are made useless by certain hulls.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#131 - 2012-05-16 07:30:51 UTC
Gates.

Let all ships go interstellar without gates and things will get very interesting.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

St Mio
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#132 - 2012-05-16 07:32:51 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Gates.

Let all ships go interstellar without gates and things will get very interesting.

Hallelujah, no more rooms with doors!
Destiny Corrupted
#133 - 2012-05-16 07:34:58 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Gates.

I too want to transport as much stuff as I want, wherever I want, with total impunity.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

Herzog Wolfhammer
#134 - 2012-05-16 07:46:16 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Gates.

I too want to transport as much stuff as I want, wherever I want, with total impunity.

Since I have a better chance of tagging a supermodel than seeing gates go away, I usually leave out the mechanics if interstellar warp when I bring it up. If it ever happens - and I will be too, uh, busy to notice, we would not know if just any ship can go just anywhere given factors like skills, power grid, etc.

What if I tag the supermodel and gates don't go away? What?

Oh crap this bottle of rum had more in it an hour ago...

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Destiny Corrupted
#135 - 2012-05-16 07:53:12 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Gates.

Since I have a better chance of tagging a supermodel than seeing gates go away, I usually leave out the mechanics if interstellar warp when I bring it up. If it ever happens - and I will be too, uh, busy to notice, we would not know if just any ship can go just anywhere given factors like skills, power grid, etc.

What if I tag the supermodel and gates don't go away? What?

Oh crap this bottle of rum had more in it an hour ago...

I don't have some kind of personal vendetta against the idea, I just think that it's completely unnecessary. You can already utilize jump drives in low and null. Wormholes are incompatible with them for obvious reasons. That leaves only high-sec, where jump drives would be utilized solely for bypassing wars and suicide-ganks.

Besides, there's a slightly more interesting (and much more ghetto) way of getting into deep null areas without relying on jump drives. I'll let you figure out what it is.

St Mio
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#136 - 2012-05-16 08:00:50 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Gates.

Add spool up/cool down timers for vulnerability and their incoming/outgoing locations to the Overview like cynos currently are.

Next question?
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#137 - 2012-05-16 08:05:12 UTC
Mind numbingly boring PVE content.
Herzog Wolfhammer
#138 - 2012-05-16 08:05:21 UTC
St Mio wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Gates.

Add spool up/cool down timers for vulnerability and their incoming/outgoing locations to the Overview like cynos currently are.

Next question?

Yes.

Can I fly a Federation Comet in a level 4 mission after drinking a boatload of rum and manage to keep track of everything?

Good question eh? I might go practice a Mel Gibson styled rage instead....

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Dawn Flare
Cutthroat Industries
Viral Society
#139 - 2012-05-16 08:06:02 UTC
Jake Warbird wrote:

Take some friends, its much more fun.

And for true fun, bring along some enemies! Pirate
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#140 - 2012-05-16 08:11:20 UTC
Dawn Flare wrote:
Jake Warbird wrote:

Take some friends, its much more fun.

And for true fun, bring along some enemies! Pirate

I do run l4s and incursions. But I only do because it funds my occasional roam into low and I get plastered. I don't get to play more than 2 hours or so everyday, so I'm kinda strapped for ISK more time than not.

I do agree with you on the 'fun' bit. PVE for me is always a means to an end. Smile