These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

There's got to be an easier and faster way...

Author
Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-05-15 18:22:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Tor Gungnir
So I'm Sebestior. Done a lot of missions with Minmatar. My IRL friends have a corp... in Amarr space. I'm currently at rought -3.00 with Amarr. There has to be a better way to get that up than to painstakingly grind for Storyline missions which only end up giving you 0.03+....

Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

Killer Gandry
The Concilium Enterprises
#2 - 2012-05-15 18:27:54 UTC
Look at the social skills.

Social and connections are the 2 you want to look at primarely at the moment.
Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-05-15 18:40:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Tor Gungnir
Killer Gandry wrote:
Look at the social skills.

Social and connections are the 2 you want to look at primarely at the moment.

Even if I max it wouldn't change the fact I have to do millions of normal missions since only the Storyline ones affect standing?

Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

Killer Gandry
The Concilium Enterprises
#4 - 2012-05-15 18:47:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Killer Gandry
With social and connections trained to let's say 4 you already see a big difference in effective standing.
Next to that they might then enable you to head for higher lvl missions.

Higher lvl missions means also more increase.
It goes fast up to about 5.5 to 6 after that you will see a rapid decline in build up up to the point that 0.01 increase is something to treasure.

And no you don't have to do millions of missions. After every 15 completed missions for the same corporation you get a storyline.
So not for same faction but for same corporation / agent.
Toshiro GreyHawk
#5 - 2012-05-15 19:02:39 UTC

Well ... I assume you've trained Diplomacy?

I'd also assume you don't want to train a new character to play with your friends.

Here's the Standings Mechanics page from EVElopedia.

GL
Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#6 - 2012-05-15 19:10:11 UTC
Yeah, you want Diplomacy. Connections only effects corps and factions you already have a positive base standing with. Diplomacy is for corps and factions that you have a negative base standing with.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

Pinstar Colton
Sweet Asteroid Acres
#7 - 2012-05-15 19:13:13 UTC
I am in the same boat as you.

What you need depends on what your goals are.

If all you want to do is fly with your friends, just train up diplomacy until your effective rep is better than -2 with the Amarr. That way they won't shoot at you and you don't need to waste time grinding up your standings.

If your friends are trying to rep up for a high sec POS in Amarr space, then you may be better off joining Amarr Faction Warfare. I hear that ups your faction far faster than storylines could ever.

If you need rep for Amarr NPC corps, just do one level 1 mission and their rep will instantly jump from negative to slightly above 0, at which point your connections skill will modify it and it will not be dragged down by your negative faction rep.

In the cat-and-mouse game that is low sec, there is no shame in learning to be a better mouse.

Moto Akimoto
Tengu and Cash
#8 - 2012-05-15 19:15:27 UTC
Everything above...

Also stop shooting Amarr ships and check out the data centers. Big smile
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#9 - 2012-05-15 19:17:38 UTC
Also: Look at data centres. Spend ISK to buy tags, to buy standing. (bah, someone got in before me)

Get your corp mates to help you up your corp standing till you can run level 4 with a corp. From there, do the storyline missions.

Faction standing isn't split on storyline missions. So they have to be yours. regular standing is though.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-05-15 19:40:41 UTC
Thanks for the replies people. I'll look into it the first thing I do when I can get online.

Flakey Foont
#11 - 2012-05-15 20:02:19 UTC
-3.00 is no biggie to fix using the aforementioned techniques.
MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#12 - 2012-05-15 22:38:43 UTC
Just a couple numbers from my character sheet:

I have diplomacy 4 and my -3.00 standings is raised to -0.92. I have another standing that is at -0.06 which is raised to +1.55 due to diplomacy 4.

With Connections 4 my standing of +0.29 jumps to +1.84.

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#13 - 2012-05-16 00:32:09 UTC
Train diplomacy until you're at -2.0 and the Amarr guys won't shoot at you. Then jump in and help your corpmates on their L4 missions and have them share the rewards. That's about the fastest way I've been able to get people up to speed with the corp.

Though I guess if you're flush with cash buying up the dogtags is an option as well.
malaire
#14 - 2012-05-16 06:00:41 UTC
You could also go do missions for Amarr Career Agents. 15 agents total and last mission from each will give you faction standing increase just like storyline missions. Just train "Social" first to get maximum benefit, those missions can only be done once per agent.

All Career Agents: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Career_Agents

Also, THE guide for fixing faction standings: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Faction_Standing_Repair_Plan

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#15 - 2012-05-16 10:59:51 UTC
Diplomacy should sort your problem, I have -5 or below with both Caldari and Amarr and Diplomacy 4 brings that up to around -2.60. I think you can get as low as -7 raw standing with faction and have diplomacy 5 still bring your adjusted standing above -5.

The quickest way I found to get storyline missions is running level 3 couriers, they're quick and you can pack quite a few into an hour, especially if you can find a station or system with multiple distribution agents. I had an alt of mine running them in a small hauler for a little while to get faction standing.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#16 - 2012-05-16 14:17:55 UTC
... Okay, there's a bunch of info flying around the thread, some of which is incorrect and/or conflicting. Let me try and clean this up for you:

• If your effective faction standings (that is, your standings after being modified by skills) are below -2.0, you will not have access to any of that faction's mission agents that are above Level 1, regardless of what your standings are with that agent or his/her corporation. Once your effective faction standings are above -2.0, you can take missions from any agent you otherwise have standings for.
  • If your effective faction standings (again, after being modified by skills) are below -5.0, you will be shot at by that faction's navy in their high-security space (0.5 - 1.0).
  • The Diplomacy skill only applies to entities (agents, corporations, factions) that you have a negative unmodified standing with.
  • The Connections skill only applies to entities that you have a positive (non-zero) unmodified standing with.
  • The Criminal Connections skill only applies to entities belonging to "outlaw" factions - the pirate groups, such as the Cartel, Sansha's Nation, the Guristas, Serpentis, etc.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque