These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Question: What one thing is really hurting EVE?

Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#101 - 2012-05-16 05:22:23 UTC
People in the newbie corps who grief newbies by telling them to train skills to IV, to get +4 and +5 implants, and not to do X before they trained at least Y. Should be a bannable offence imo.
Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#102 - 2012-05-16 05:25:23 UTC
Tippia wrote:
People in the newbie corps who grief newbies by telling them to train skills to IV, to get +4 and +5 implants, and not to do X before they trained at least Y. Should be a bannable offence imo.

not empty quoting

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

No More Heroes
Boomer Humor
Snuffed Out
#103 - 2012-05-16 05:26:53 UTC
Having to switch my graphics over from 'quality' to 'performance' for a fleet fight. (500+)

Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#104 - 2012-05-16 05:27:03 UTC
also the idiots in the newbie corps who tell the newbies that low/null are scary places where they will die the second the jump in

bongsmoke
Visine Red
420 Chronicles of EvE
#105 - 2012-05-16 05:28:34 UTC
Tippia wrote:

You think advice, even if its not your version, should be bannable?

Hell, that type of setup, I would never help anyone EVER.

You should go watch "The Dictator" in theaters, sounds like your following.
Dbars Grinding
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#106 - 2012-05-16 05:29:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Dbars Grinding
the long train time. The dull gameplay. The travel time. The down time finding something to do (lookin for fights). Getting blobbed and failconed. Mean people ,elitist people.(o noes they will take my stuff and are spies) Takes to much effort to make isk. (larger amounts that actually matter) These are the things that make eve bad.

I have more space likes than you. 

Ludi Burek
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#107 - 2012-05-16 05:29:24 UTC
Wait, no one said hulk violence like the OP expected and why he made this thread? damn

here you go OP, violence against bears in high sec is what is killing eve Lol
bongsmoke
Visine Red
420 Chronicles of EvE
#108 - 2012-05-16 05:30:05 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
also the idiots in the newbie corps who tell the newbies that low/null are scary places where they will die the second the jump in

Sure, tell all the newbs low and null is the safest place, sounds like you cant handle competent players in pvp, so you want noob fodder, shame on you.
Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#109 - 2012-05-16 05:34:43 UTC
bongsmoke wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:

Sure, tell all the newbs low and null is the safest place, sounds like you cant handle competent players in pvp, so you want noob fodder, shame on you.

as opposed to telling people to never leave highsec until they have 100m+ SP and the skills to fly a titan?

bongsmoke
Visine Red
420 Chronicles of EvE
#110 - 2012-05-16 05:40:10 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
bongsmoke wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:

as opposed to telling people to never leave highsec until they have 100m+ SP and the skills to fly a titan?

umm telling people to fly only what they can afford to lose in low/null (hell even in hi-sec) is proper advice, something none of you seem to grasp.

Any noob that stays in hi-sec trains a titan and knows nothing of low/null are idiots, plain and simple.

No other reason you "people" want more players in low/null is to ****, if it was recruitment, goto hi-sec or use the forums.

Never understood how human beings have a brain, yet are clueless on how to use it.
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#111 - 2012-05-16 05:40:14 UTC
Lipbite wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Free ships would be extremely counter-intuitive for our player-driven economy.

When I want to brawl in real life I take a towel and go to nearby gym - there are always some boxing guys. It takes 10 minutes and cost almost nothing. When I want to brawl in player-driven hi-sec economy I have to jump into clone, purchase and equip ship, join RvB, etc. etc. - all of this can take hour(s). PvP in EVE is extremely complicated activity unlike in many other not-so-pvp MMOs where you can join a fight after single mouse click. No wonder some of hi-sec dwellers never shot anyone despite "EVE is all about PvP" myth. This should be changed - PvP-centric game where substantial part of player base never ever participate in PvP - it's non-sense and wasting of great potential. Besides what rookie ships are free and didn't ruin anything + I mean ships should be free to use within arenas only.

One of the reasons I don't PvP much is that I'm ISK-averse. Smile Actually, it's because I don't have a lot of things in EVE making me ISK right now and couldn't be bothered to grind for it.

On the plus side, I have billions, (Well, maybe 2 billion if I sold some faction mods I bought last week because they were-ironically-cheap and I wanted to fit them on a Faction Frigate just to look at it.), of ISK to play with, but I know from experience that can rapidly approach 0 if you start PvPing. Especially now, with ship and module prices being so high.

Even fitting a T1 Frig with Tech II mods and Tech I rigs is approaching 10 million more or less. Might be more actually. I never seem to count the ISK as I'm spending it. I do know that I'm currently flying a Condor that's worth about 12-15 million ISK and is definitely not a PvP ship despite the fit. Lose the 7 million ISK Cloak and it will be more suitable but still run about 5-8 million ISK.

If I fit a T1 Cruiser atm, I'm sure it would be closer to 20+ million and maybe as much as 30 million ISK. Obviously I'm more inclined to fit meta 0 mods if I'm going to go PvP these days, but a Cruiser is running 5-7 million or more by itself these days. Maybe more now.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Saia Tae Arragosa
Doomheim
#112 - 2012-05-16 05:40:58 UTC
Ludi Burek wrote:
Wait, no one said hulk violence like the OP expected and why he made this thread? damn

here you go OP, violence against bears in high sec is what is killing eve Lol

And you assume the OP, me, is a guy. You do realize that females play EVE too - right - right. Don't ass-ume that all the people that play EVE are males.

Also, stop assuming I was thinking someone was going to post about Hulkageddon...Hulkageddon was not why I created this thread. I actually think Hulkageddon is one of the things that makes EVE great. I just do not like the fail game mechanics behind it.
Ituhata Saken
Killboard Padding Services
#113 - 2012-05-16 05:41:16 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
bongsmoke wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:

I would just tell them the safest way to get into null is through HED-GP. That place is never camped.

So close...

bongsmoke
Visine Red
420 Chronicles of EvE
#114 - 2012-05-16 05:45:26 UTC
Ituhata Saken wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:
bongsmoke wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:

I would just tell them the safest way to get into null is through HED-GP. That place is never camped.

Or you could teach them to use the star map and let them choose their own destination, but wait, why would you do that? You wouldnt cause those killmails wouldnt be as abundant.
Ituhata Saken
Killboard Padding Services
#115 - 2012-05-16 05:49:21 UTC
bongsmoke wrote:
Ituhata Saken wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:
bongsmoke wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:

Or you could teach them to use the star map and let them choose their own destination, but wait, why would you do that? You wouldnt cause those killmails wouldnt be as abundant.

Nah, I've been through there, I think every noob deserves the same experience I had. Pirate

I don't really care one way or the other though, and I think its worth noting that I rarely post anything that should be taken seriously.

So close...

Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#116 - 2012-05-16 05:51:24 UTC
Lipbite wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Free ships would be extremely counter-intuitive for our player-driven economy.

When I want to brawl in real life I take a towel and go to nearby gym - there are always some boxing guys. It takes 10 minutes and cost almost nothing. When I want to brawl in player-driven hi-sec economy I have to jump into clone, purchase and equip ship, join RvB, etc. etc. - all of this can take hour(s). PvP in EVE is extremely complicated activity unlike in many other not-so-pvp MMOs where you can join a fight after single mouse click. No wonder some of hi-sec dwellers never shot anyone despite "EVE is all about PvP" myth. This should be changed - PvP-centric game where substantial part of player base never ever participate in PvP - it's non-sense and wasting of great potential. Besides what rookie ships are free and didn't ruin anything + I mean ships should be free to use within arenas only.

Why should EVE be like every other MMO out there? Maybe it's a good thing to have at least one game on the market where killing another player has some significance behind it?

Now, I'm not against making pvp more accessible to EVE players; I'm simply against using "battlegrounds" as a means to that end. As far as that part of the player base that hasn't ever shot anyone, well, that's kind of their fault. The door is open, they're just too afraid to go through.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Ian Mcmantry
The 9th Infinitus
#117 - 2012-05-16 05:54:08 UTC
Bart Wart wrote:
Severe lack of RL women in this game.

? but didn't you know that mmorpg means many men role playing girls?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#118 - 2012-05-16 05:57:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
bongsmoke wrote:
You think advice, even if its not your version, should be bannable?
Advice shouldn't be.
Tricking them into not playing the game and wasting their time on irrelevancies should be. It borders on RL fraud.

The things I listed isn't “advice” — it's blatant deception about how the game works and how to get the most out of it. It perpetuates the lie about having to train forever before doing anything. It perpetuates the lie about the helplessness and uselessness of newbies. This is griefing to the highest degree and is far more damaging than, say, can baiting, because while the latter exploits the newbies' unfamiliarity of the game mechanics, the former makes them never learn any mechanics to begin with.
bongsmoke
Visine Red
420 Chronicles of EvE
#119 - 2012-05-16 05:59:06 UTC
Ian Mcmantry wrote:
Bart Wart wrote:
Severe lack of RL women in this game.

? but didn't you know that mmorpg means many men role playing girls?

EvE requires intelligence/patience and keeping your emotions in check. Hmm I wonder what kind of player base this would attract or dare I say, deter?
Nlex
Domini Canium
#120 - 2012-05-16 06:01:05 UTC
Arrogance.