These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Skill Implants are hurting PVP and NPE

Author
Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#41 - 2012-05-15 15:10:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Vera Algaert
March rabbit wrote:
Vera Algaert wrote:

as previous posters have pointed out "I need more ISK/SP/... before I can do x" is a way of thinking that can only be described as wrong; catering to that mindset means catering to greedy carebears who will never leave high-sec anyways (because no matter how much they have, they will never be "ready").

you want to fly interceptor? Welcome to training frigate to 5. Elsewere good luck to do interceptor role in T1 frigate Cool

I think every FC will be happy to accept your logistics pilot in T1 cruiser too....

Thank you for wishing me good luck in my tackle frigate, I have the feeling I might need it Blink

I can't fly a T1 cruiser on this character yet, but I think I'll follow your advice and train for an Oneiros as soon as possible. As tackle I always feel slightly useless and I had already heard that good logistics pilots are highly regarded.

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2012-05-15 15:17:13 UTC
Vera Algaert wrote:
March rabbit wrote:
Vera Algaert wrote:

as previous posters have pointed out "I need more ISK/SP/... before I can do x" is a way of thinking that can only be described as wrong; catering to that mindset means catering to greedy carebears who will never leave high-sec anyways (because no matter how much they have, they will never be "ready").

you want to fly interceptor? Welcome to training frigate to 5. Elsewere good luck to do interceptor role in T1 frigate Cool

I think every FC will be happy to accept your logistics pilot in T1 cruiser too....

Thank you for wishing me good luck in my tackle frigate, I have the feeling I might need it Blink

I can't fly a T1 cruiser on this character yet, but I think I'll follow your advice and train for an Oneiros as soon as possible. As tackle I always feel slightly useless and I already heard that good logistics pilots are highly regarded.

i see you have never been in 0.0 alliance.... tacklers are very important in fleet CTA ops. Not sure about T1 frigates tho Big smile

Let me know when you take part in logistics squad with your T1 cruiser too Big smile

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Pinstar Colton
Sweet Asteroid Acres
#43 - 2012-05-15 15:30:23 UTC
I don't see what the complaint is here. We have jump clones, we can dial up and down our financial risk every 24 hours.

Take whatever you are comfortable with losing to low/null.

If you want to dance around the system a bit you can do this:
Jump your main into an implantless clone. Pause Skill training. Hop into an alt (on the same account) with +4s that needs to work on some skill or another and have them start training.

Once you jump back to your main with your full implants, pause your alt's training and resume your main's. At least that way someone on your account is benefiting from expensive implants.

In the cat-and-mouse game that is low sec, there is no shame in learning to be a better mouse.

Aqriue
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2012-05-15 16:21:05 UTC
Roime wrote:
Aqriue wrote:
No, the real reason is the consequences of their actions -> I want to get some skilling done -> You blow me up -> Yep, learned my lesson to not go to lowsec with expensive implants -> So you got to wait for me to finish my skill plan, but you are welcome to be bored off you ass for your actions to pod me and I am....what is it called..."Risk adversion"....yeah pretty sure its more your fault for teaching me a lesson of EVE so you got to wait bored then it is my fault for fitting something...since you didn't need to pod me but I didn't need to fit expensive implants...but I wanted to anyway, just like you wanted to pod me.

I don't really understand what you mean by all that, but would it help if I said that I'm also enjoying the benefits of a shitload of modern cybernetics while I pod you? Hell, I couldn't even fit my ships without the aid of hardwires.

Also, lost my last pod 6 months ago. Boo, it's so ******* dangerous outside hisec.

Fear, stops you from living.

And a good learning tool, but you missed the explanation completely...

I do X action -> You do Y acton -> I learn to solve it by staying in highsec -> You get bored because you got nothing to shoot at.

We both are the problem, but the best solution is to just change yourself and myself

You don't need to pod someone, I don't need to fit expensive implants.
You shoot a pod, I don't bother to go to lowsec because I am still fitting implants.

See...cause and effect. We both don't change, nothing evolves.
Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#45 - 2012-05-15 16:38:16 UTC
Aqriue wrote:

I do X action -> You do Y acton -> I learn to solve it by staying in highsec -> You get bored because you got nothing to shoot at.

We both are the problem, but the best solution is to just change yourself and myself

You shoot a pod, I don't bother to go to lowsec because I am still fitting implants.

it's not fun to blow you up if there are no shinies on the killmail.

bongsmoke
Visine Red
420 Chronicles of EvE
#46 - 2012-05-15 17:08:28 UTC
OP your doing it wrong, this game isnt about pvp, its about raping people that dont want to pvp.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#47 - 2012-05-15 17:26:27 UTC
Aqriue wrote:
Roime wrote:
Aqriue wrote:
No, the real reason is the consequences of their actions -> I want to get some skilling done -> You blow me up -> Yep, learned my lesson to not go to lowsec with expensive implants -> So you got to wait for me to finish my skill plan, but you are welcome to be bored off you ass for your actions to pod me and I am....what is it called..."Risk adversion"....yeah pretty sure its more your fault for teaching me a lesson of EVE so you got to wait bored then it is my fault for fitting something...since you didn't need to pod me but I didn't need to fit expensive implants...but I wanted to anyway, just like you wanted to pod me.

I don't really understand what you mean by all that, but would it help if I said that I'm also enjoying the benefits of a shitload of modern cybernetics while I pod you? Hell, I couldn't even fit my ships without the aid of hardwires.

Also, lost my last pod 6 months ago. Boo, it's so ******* dangerous outside hisec.

Fear, stops you from living.

Hypothetically you could learn to not always lose fights too.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Takseen
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2012-05-15 17:28:14 UTC
bongsmoke wrote:
OP your doing it wrong, this game isnt about pvp, its about raping people that dont want to pvp.

Skill implants don't just discourage pvp, they discourage even entering pvp zones. Which tends to get in the way of killing people that don't want to pvp.
But, I don't know if pvpers have run out of targets, willing or unwilling, just yet.
bongsmoke
Visine Red
420 Chronicles of EvE
#49 - 2012-05-15 17:31:05 UTC
Takseen wrote:
bongsmoke wrote:

Skill implants don't just discourage pvp, they discourage even entering pvp zones. Which tends to get in the way of killing people that don't want to pvp.
But, I don't know if pvpers have run out of targets, willing or unwilling, just yet.

NEWS FLASH! THIS JUST IN!

People get killed in high sec too.......

Sadly the mechanics for hi sec will not change, and huge corps do w/e they want to whomever they want.

Kinda like corporate america
IGNATIUS HOOD
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#50 - 2012-05-15 17:39:14 UTC
Gordon Howard wrote:
Hello, I am an obvious alt here

Your opinion is useless based on this simple admission. Roll

But if I overlook this I would add.

If you don't like losing Implants don't get podded. I might be wrong but the best way to not get podded is to not get your ship shot out from under you in the first place. It kind of takes the pod out of play.

Also, rule #1 includes implants friend. Don't fly what you cannot afford to lose.

I personally rock a set of LG-slaves and assorted hardwires in a combat clone and I have a pair of +4 clones for learning. Becuase I'm a patient sort I don't buy +5 plants and I don't buy full Slaves becuase of rule #1.

EVE is great becuase it has consequences. And even if you don't want a fight, you might just get one anyway. Sorry I doubt you'll get many people who agree with you. EVE in a dangerous place. Get used to it or don't undock.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."   --H.L. Mencken
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2012-05-15 17:39:54 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

Hypothetically he learnt it. Evading fights is "not loosing" too.

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#52 - 2012-05-15 17:40:00 UTC
I totally agree and think skill implants should be removed from the game and TRAINING BOOSTER SKILL CATCHUP PACKS sold for gold, I mean AUR, on the nex store instead.
Eternal Error
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2012-05-15 18:24:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternal Error
This didn't need another thread, but I'll repeat myself anyway. In no particular order:

1. I really wish people would stop proposing this in the name of high sec carebears and newbies. We know you want it changed for nullsec, since that's where the vast majority of podding occurs (at least for non-afk/competent pilots).

2. More things blown up is better. If you can't afford to lose it, don't fly it.

3. The difference between +4s and +5s or +3s and +4s really isn't that big. You only need two plugged in at a time. Deal with it.

4. They already removed learning skills. This is the only choice left for attributes other than the attributes themselves, and you already get a remap at least once a year for that.

5. Eve is about risk and choices.

EDIT: Oh and 6. I've never seen someone not pvp due to their implants.
Tub Chil
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#54 - 2012-05-15 18:31:59 UTC
your logic is flawless op.

I too confirm, that people don't pvp because they don't want to lose implants.
Travo Lin
Doomheim
#55 - 2012-05-15 19:06:22 UTC
Posting in a bitter vet whine post

Oh i want easy noob kills not players with SP to fly/fight back
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#56 - 2012-05-16 07:22:27 UTC

Hahah oh jesus the howling that would cause, can you imagine?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#57 - 2012-05-16 07:33:49 UTC
learning implants incentivize risk aversion, they don't provide "choices" considering that they are nearly mandatory, unless you are so simple-minded that "hmm, +3s or +4s" is a "choice" that you believe adds depth to this game

death2superficialcomplexity

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Takseen
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2012-05-16 07:37:15 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

Indeed. Everyone should follow this advice.
Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#59 - 2012-05-16 07:40:14 UTC
Takseen wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

Indeed. Everyone should follow this advice.

losing a ship != losing a fight

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Alara IonStorm
#60 - 2012-05-16 07:43:42 UTC
I say make it so you can switch your pod manually like a combat ship without the whole wait for the timer instant travel. Not only means that you can switch Learning Pods and PvE Pods on the fly but if you have a head full of medium projectile combat implants you can switch it out if you wanna dive into a cheap fleet full of Rifter's or Thorax's.

Makes it so you don't have to financially shoehorn yourself for 24 hours without the instant travel and can switch pods depending on what you are flying.