These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: War, Modules & Super Friends

First post
Author
Skippermonkey
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#281 - 2012-05-15 11:29:53 UTC
Skogen Gump wrote:
As it stands with this graph, a 2000 man alliance can wardec a very small corp for practically nothing;

OK, so you as a small corp get decced by this '2000 man alliance'

Whats stopping you from putting up free ally contracts for people that want to shoot at this '2000 man alliance'

I'm sure you will get plenty of takers, and the war might not last as long as you think

Its this small fact that is being forgotten about.

COME AT ME BRO

I'LL JUST BE DOCKED IN THIS STATION

Captain Thunk
Explode. Now. Please.
Alliance. Now. Please.
#282 - 2012-05-15 12:12:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Thunk
Skippermonkey wrote:
Skogen Gump wrote:
As it stands with this graph, a 2000 man alliance can wardec a very small corp for practically nothing;

OK, so you as a small corp get decced by this '2000 man alliance'

Whats stopping you from putting up free ally contracts for people that want to shoot at this '2000 man alliance'

I'm sure you will get plenty of takers, and the war might not last as long as you think

Its this small fact that is being forgotten about.

That never happens and SoniClover went and stated that with the current mechanics there are extremely few 'grief' wardecs which means this is solely about protecting large alliances so they can do level 4 missions in peace when they're supposed to be in nullsec. Team ~superfriends~ indeed.
Pinky Feldman
Amarrian Vengeance
Ragequit Cancel Sub
#283 - 2012-05-15 12:31:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Pinky Feldman
First off, I want to say that I'm glad that CCP has shown they're willing to listen to the playerbase regarding the war dec costs. With that being said, I share the sentiments of many people in this thread when I say that there is still a lot of tweaking and adjustments that need to be made.

The current issue I see with the new fixes is that they address many symptoms without actually fixing the root cause. The increased pricing scheme is successful in that it will cut down on the 1-5 man corp "pointless" decs against blanket targets with corp hopping as the main mechanic behind them, however, when you add it to the 50m isk per war dec stacking penalty it doesn't just destroy the Privateer model of deccing large nullsec alliances, it completely shuts down any group that wants to have more than 4-5 decs at any given time.

I think regarding these changes there are few common misconceptions between the current reality of highsec decs and the public perception of things.

1) When you look at the raw numbers with 5+ war decs, it looks like you have tons of targets to shoot at. The truth is, things have changed significantly over the years and mass war decs don't really create the target rich environment that it used to. People have gotten smarter and groups using the Privateer model have been struggling to sustain themselves financially and member count wise due to lack of targets to keep things interesting. While the Privateer model might seem to go against the original point of war decs, the fact is war decs have evolved as a means of creating a target rich environment in an arena without bubbles, supercaps, and titan bridges. CCP wants to give war decs more meaning, but in order to do this you need groups that are still willing to war dec. In this regard, I feel like they are missing out on some of the fundamental psychology behind groups that war dec. If the large war dec alliances are struggling with with 6-8 nullsec alliances decced each week, I can only wonder at how groups that war dec smaller organizations will be able to maintain interest. The reason that you don't see more decs against 400-600 man Highsec corps is because they don't really exist and when they do get that big, they generally get war decced into oblivion. War deccing 100-150 man alliances is also relatively pointless unless you just want to grief/extort them (usually too poor to extort or even hire mercs) because they'll only have maybe 10 active targets on at any given time, maybe 1-2 of which you can actually kill, and the kills you do get dry up fast.

2) The myth that war deccing is this huge cash cow and you make tons of ISK if you do it right because you get all these fat freighter and mission runner drops. While I can only speak for Moar Tears in this regard, this used to be true maybe 6 months ago but really isn't the case anymore due to terrible drops from the loot fairy and the decreasing number of mission runners that pimp fit and fly their ships during war. Just because we spend 2b+ ISK a week to kill 50b+ ISK that doesn't mean that we get anything remotely in the area of 50b isk in loot drops.

3) Finally the perception that there are no "goodfights" in highsec because of neutral logi is unstoppable and fighting in highsec is more trouble than its worth. I think that the cheesiness of neutral logi does need to go despite having counters, its ruined the public perception of highsec PVP so much to the point that noone wants to fight in highsec anymore. Believe it or not, not even a year ago, you could get fights in highsec and I think that fixing neutral logi will go a long way in fixing this by itself. With that being said, the reality is that part of the reason people who want to fight in highsec struggle so much is they're just bad at highsec war dec fundamentals like setting war target only overviews. A CFC FC complained after the Burn Jita event that CCP needs to implement a way to set war target only overviews, even though you already can. In fact, at least half the time we've fought nullsec fleets in highsec, at least one of their fleet members goes GCC and gets blown up by Concord for shooting someone not at war. I think its obvious how this would discourage someone from wanting to fight in highsec ever again when they can just shoot any and everything in nullsec.

I want to finish by saying, it doesn't really bother me to see the Privateer model go thats not what I have an issue with, despite disruption of nullsec alliance's highsec logistics chains being one of the few legitimate "non-griefer" applications of war decs. My main concern is that CCP isn't completely in touch with the reality of why war decs are as "broken" as they've currently come to be. As it stands now, most groups i've talked to within highsec that intend to continue war deccing plan on becoming defensive mercs, but if all the organized groups plan on doing this, will there still be groups willing to be the aggressor?
Rushdyn Afasi
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#284 - 2012-05-15 13:15:12 UTC
Possible Optimistic Outcomes Ignited by Inferno

To my own amazement, I read all 200+ posts! P
Most talked about how the changes will make things worse, a few rude comments, and many constructive criticisms.
So to inject a healthy dose of optimisms into this discusssion, let’s imagine how the changes could make things better:

1. Wars in EVE will become more meaningful

Because of the high cost of war, players will become more intelligent in making strategic decisions.
Alliances will be more selective in choosing wardec targets,
and there has to be a compelling reason for it.

"Educational corporations" for example, will no longer be attractive targets.
They're expensive, and because they're not passionate about warfare, they provide little, if any, meaningful war experience.

Instead, declaration of wars will now mean something serious, and targeted against serious opponents.
It has to be worth it..

Serious PvP players should and will pick a fight with “MMA fighters” like them,
instead of “teachers” who aren’t even interested to be in the cage.

Wars will be less in quantity and better in quality.

2. It will encourage the unification of small alliances

Again, big alliances can still being a bully and wardec the weaker, smaller alliances.
As a respond, many of us predict those small alliances will cheat their way out this,
especially by creating ghost alts to increase the size of their corporations.

But a more exciting possibility is that these small alliances will reach out to each other.
They understand now that there is strength in number,
and the only way to stand up against the bully is to combine their resources.

In any MMO, interaction between players comes in at least two forms,
competitive (as in PvP) and cooperative.

The corporate merging of small alliances will enhance the cooperative aspects of EVE.
Now your mining fleet will be bigger,
you'll have more friends to enjoy the Incursion,
and of course, you'll have more brother-in-arms standing beside you in wars.

This cooperative approach will no doubt provide its own challenges,
and can be as fun and as engaging as the competitive aspects of EVE.

So lets keep the constructive criticisms coming for CCP.
But at the same time, lets be hopeful too. Inferno might sparks something we have never seen before..
Somethings that we do like.

NorthCrossroad
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#285 - 2012-05-15 13:20:22 UTC
steave435 wrote:
NorthCrossroad wrote:
I'm sorry, but two of the most needed modules reiterations are not done: salvager drones and TD improvements, and you call it success? Really can't understand not deliver salvagers instead of the anc boosters f.e.
In a PVP game, anc boosters are WAY higher on the priority list then salvager drones...
Especially since getting the anc booster out first gets them out in time for the AT, which should shake things up quite significantly.
Not sure how hard anc boosters will change things since I'm mostly flying active armor solo setups. And regarding AT - maybe for qualifying they might change something. But for finals... logi pilot in a team is a key to keep its team alive, not a anc booster on any ship.

North
Callidus Dux
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#286 - 2012-05-15 13:31:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Callidus Dux
Rushdyn Afasi wrote:

So lets keep the constructive criticisms coming for CCP.
But at the same time, lets be hopeful too. Inferno might sparks something we have never seen before..
Somethings that we do like.

Good story bro. But as it is.. you / or your Char are too young to know all the fail, that CCP did the last years. And when I read the dev blog I see many fail in the Inferno sh!t.
You get a LIKE from me. But I am sure that Inferno will be the same sh!t as "Crapcarna" (Incarna)
Pinky Feldman
Amarrian Vengeance
Ragequit Cancel Sub
#287 - 2012-05-15 13:35:37 UTC
Rushdyn Afasi wrote:

Most talked about how the changes will make things worse, a few rude comments, and many constructive criticisms.
So to inject a healthy dose of optimisms into this discusssion, let’s imagine how the changes could make things better:

1. Wars in EVE will become more meaningful

Because of the high cost of war, players will become more intelligent in making strategic decisions.
Alliances will be more selective in choosing wardec targets,
and there has to be a compelling reason for it.

"Educational corporations" for example, will no longer be attractive targets.
They're expensive, and because they're not passionate about warfare, they provide little, if any, meaningful war experience.

Instead, declaration of wars will now mean something serious, and targeted against serious opponents.
It has to be worth it..

Serious PvP players should and will pick a fight with “MMA fighters” like them,
instead of “teachers” who aren’t even interested to be in the cage.

Wars will be less in quantity and better in quality.

The reality is, a lot of groups have been more strategic with the groups they dec and have been for quite some time. The only way that groups could take this further that they currently don't is through implanting spies in the target corp, which IMO is even cheesier than neutral rr.

Unless you're deccing a well known target or a target you've decced before, you can research all you want, but for every 3-4 decs you put in, only one of them will usually be worthwhile. Also, regarding your comment towards EVE Uni, they were never really that great of a dec, they just get brought up in examples after they garnered a lot of recent attention due to their dec shielding and teaching style geared towards complete avoidance of all highsec combat.
Terranid Meester
Tactical Assault and Recon Unit
#288 - 2012-05-15 14:11:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Terranid Meester
War mechanic changes are terrible. Casual players and such-like will be priced out. Everybody declares war for a reason, be it to gain isk, to have a fight without being in 0.0 or maybe even to get revenge. Part of the eve lore is that corporations are allowed to declare war on one another to avoid things happening like earth before the eve gate collapsed. War is what drives eve, and without it eve's days are numbered. The modules I don't mind about, as I have always thought more variety is a good thing.

War based expansion? That is the biggest joke of all. More like the conscientious objector expansion.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#289 - 2012-05-15 14:35:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
To achieve the goal of Null Sec corps actually bothering to declare war on each other the enhanced killboards and such were implimented. This was a necessary step, but I don't really think that this alone will encourage Null Alliances to shell out the coin to attack each other under a war dec instead of just shooting each other in Null for free as they do now.

If you really want Null alliances to use the war dec system you need to make it a necessary component of officially taking Sov... and for this to happen you need to be able to set victory conditions for both sides when a war dec is in play. In this way, Sov can "officially" change hands only if the war dec conditions include it, or a surrender happens. A case could be made for the development of various types of surrender, including unconditional.

Slap fighting in Null without a war dec would be for fun, but when a war dec is issued with SOV capture being one of the victory conditions... then you know things just got serious.

To satisfy the goal of encouraging use of the War Dec system to promote more "good fights" and deter nuisance war decs between corps of vastly different sizes (either way), the war dec fee needs to be based on the difference in "active members" (logged in within the last 30 days).

To deter corp hopping to avoid a war dec you restricted players from rejoining their corp until either the war ends or 7 days pass whichever comes first. This does nothing to deter corp hopping to avoid a war, in fact in does quite the opposite.

If you want to actually deter people from corp hopping, either make the delay to rejoin at least 7 days after the war ends (preferably longer)... or a vastly better solution would be for them to carry the war dec with them until it's duration is over or 7 days have passed, whichever is quicker.

If these changes were made to the excellent work done otherwise, the war dec system would finally be what it needs to be for the EVE Universe.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

COMM4NDER
Legendary Umbrellas
#290 - 2012-05-15 14:36:43 UTC
Capacitor Battery edits - All capacitor batteries now also provide a defense against Energy Vampires (Nos) and Energy Neutralizer (Neut) effects. A portion of the effect is reflected back on the aggressor.

Cool new addition and makes the batteries useful, however I am feeling this is unbalanced right now on the test server. Tried it out and my curse got neuted instead of the vindicator i targeted.

Him having 3 batteries got me 0 cap after about 1 cycle of all my neuts while he had 60ish. With one battery on his ship I had issues neuting with 3 heavy neuts..

Im not a curse frequent flyer but if other neuting players could take a look if that seems reasonable for loosing only 1 midslot and also no stacking venalities as it seems.

But this in my eyes kinda renders the neuters useless.

Again would like other peoples feel on this.

[url=https://github.com/CommanderAlchemy/.bin/blob/master/eve] EVE - Online Launcher [Linux] [/url] Installs, launches character prefixes (both SISI & Tranquility). Simplescreenrecorder shm inject

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#291 - 2012-05-15 14:38:07 UTC
Inferno, or how to nerf Amarr and Gallente in a single expansion

So, CCP ran the metrics, listened to player feedback and saw that Minmatar and Caldari needed a serious buff. Shield tanking, selectable damage types and kiting are underpowered and everybody just flies laser and hybrid armour tanks in PVP.

How could the situation be rescued?

1) Introduce a module that renders weapon systems with fixed damage types useless was an obvious fix, so they made the Armor Adaptive Hardener.

2) Kiting is an underused tactic, and nano ships a rare sight. To promote this style of combat, they decided to add Light Web Drones to make sure that slower ships with short range weapons can't catch the weak nano ships. Drone ships should not receive bonuses to web strength of these drones, actually we should make a drone damage module that can't be fitted on any drone boats to humiliate drone pilots some more.

3) Active shield tankers had problems fitting full tackle with shield and cap boosters, so why not combine them into a single module? This way it's possible to fill lows slots with damage mods and get full tackle with active shield tank. This was also in line with decision to scrap the plans to fix armor rigs.

Afraid that changes to Tracking Disruptors would negate the upcoming Drake buff, they decided to postpone TD changes in a bid to make the Drake popular again.

And just in time before the launch, some clever dev realized that the Micro Jump Drive could make Gallente battleships usable, and they managed to stop development before any damage was done.

I personally don't think that these buffs are not nearly enough.Heavy Missile dps and range seriously needs to be increased, and the Tengu needs more powergrid so that it doesn't need to use rig slots for ANCs.

Unrelated to balancing matters, CCP should also look into overpopulation of lowsec, and make sure that new module BPCs drop only from hisec exploration sites.

SMT008
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#292 - 2012-05-15 14:43:33 UTC
COMM4NDER wrote:
Capacitor Battery edits - All capacitor batteries now also provide a defense against Energy Vampires (Nos) and Energy Neutralizer (Neut) effects. A portion of the effect is reflected back on the aggressor.

Cool new addition and makes the batteries useful, however I am feeling this is unbalanced right now on the test server. Tried it out and my curse got neuted instead of the vindicator i targeted.

Him having 3 batteries got me 0 cap after about 1 cycle of all my neuts while he had 60ish. With one battery on his ship I had issues neuting with 3 heavy neuts..

Im not a curse frequent flyer but if other neuting players could take a look if that seems reasonable for loosing only 1 midslot and also no stacking venalities as it seems.

You have 5 medslots on a Vindicator.

Let's see what one could fit on his Vindicator.

MWD
Capbooster
Warp Disruptor
Web
Empty Slot

I think that a lot of medslot modules are currently better than Capacitor batteries. Like an ECCM. Or a Tracking Computer. Or a second Capbooster for active armor setups.

You encountered a Vindicator with multiple Capacitor batteries fitted. Something that probably won't be of any use in actual gameplay, as he won't have either tackle, MWD, or capboosters.
COMM4NDER
Legendary Umbrellas
#293 - 2012-05-15 15:01:09 UTC
SMT008 wrote:
COMM4NDER wrote:

You have 5 medslots on a Vindicator.

Let's see what one could fit on his Vindicator.

MWD
Capbooster
Warp Disruptor
Web
Empty Slot

I think that a lot of medslot modules are currently better than Capacitor batteries. Like an ECCM. Or a Tracking Computer. Or a second Capbooster for active armor setups.

You encountered a Vindicator with multiple Capacitor batteries fitted. Something that probably won't be of any use in actual gameplay, as he won't have either tackle, MWD, or capboosters.

Yeah don't take the 3batteries to heart that i know wont happen, that was just to test the stacking. But the question is with 1 battery and its effects. And knowing that a battery will increase cap and also protect you from neuts and nos will make it a viable module to counter it.

Question lies if its in the lines, I had issues running only the neuts with his battery fitted, now real combat will look different.
The Large battery has 25% reflect on the nos and 12.5% on the neuts. And having 4neuts or 5 on a curse depends how you fly will get you about 62% neut back at you.

This will make in my opinion a viable module to consider when fitting ships.

[url=https://github.com/CommanderAlchemy/.bin/blob/master/eve] EVE - Online Launcher [Linux] [/url] Installs, launches character prefixes (both SISI & Tranquility). Simplescreenrecorder shm inject

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#294 - 2012-05-15 15:59:37 UTC
COMM4NDER wrote:

I believe that steps being taken systematically to take modules that nobody uses now and actually make them viable is a good thing.

The limiting factor, as always, is how many slots your ship has to mount them. You can't mount everything, but if you mount the right modules for the situation you run into you should have a significant advantage.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#295 - 2012-05-15 16:21:55 UTC
COMM4NDER wrote:
Yeah don't take the 3batteries to heart that i know wont happen, that was just to test the stacking. But the question is with 1 battery and its effects. And knowing that a battery will increase cap and also protect you from neuts and nos will make it a viable module to counter it.
My initial feeling is that this will move cap closer to other kinds of “HP” (to use that term broadly): do you “active-tank” your cap using a booster, which will work against known drains such as your own module use or against single opponents, or do you “buffer-tank” it to protect against more concerted attacks such as Nos/Neuts?

While those batteries certainly let you run cap-heavy modules for longer, they won't offer the same flexibility as a standard injected setup when you want to run your MWD and cap-heavy guns for extended periods.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#296 - 2012-05-15 16:28:16 UTC
So the new seeding method seems to go directly against the player driven market and into a CCP controlled market. Very un-eve like of you. I think that you guys forget the the most core aspect of this game is the player driven economy. When you control drop rates on basic modules you subvert that.

As far as the new war dec fee system I think you guys have a very misguided understanding of this game and how it works. You basically made it impossible for people in player corps who do not like PvP to avoid it. At the same time to gave a passive dec shield to all large Alliances. So now it's ok for pirate corps to grief medium sized high sec carebear alliances but no longer can any small group grief the larger alliances like the goons by wardecing them and camping the trade routes.

I think what you will see is more players in NPC corps, which you in previous expansions have worked to discourage, and fewer pirate corps griefing the large null sec blocks. Also a point to note: as a hard core carebear and someone who has avoided PvP at all costs I can say that in the past when war decs have happened I've stayed docked up the entire time and not undocked during a war dec. If it goes on for too long I have dropped a toon from my corp so that I could play. If you make avoiding war too difficult I think a certain percentage of players will just drop a sub. You probably think that number is low but I suggest you take a look at the percentage of players that exists almost entirely in high sec.

I guess 6 months to a year from now we'll see how much that actually is.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#297 - 2012-05-15 16:42:04 UTC
Tippia wrote:
COMM4NDER wrote:
My initial feeling is that this will move cap closer to other kinds of “HP” (to use that term broadly): do you “active-tank” your cap using a booster, which will work against known drains such as your own module use or against single opponents, or do you “buffer-tank” it to protect against more concerted attacks such as Nos/Neuts?

While those batteries certainly let you run cap-heavy modules for longer, they won't offer the same flexibility as a standard injected setup when you want to run your MWD and cap-heavy guns for extended periods.

Very much agreed.

I do wish that along with this they would take another look at NOS, as I believe they were a little overly nerfed before (although I believe they are actually far more useful than people give them credit for on certain cap use heavy setups).

Hand and hand with this I believe that the Pilgrim needs to be very carefully handled as the overall rebalancing of ships for roles (instead of Tiers) begins in ernest.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#298 - 2012-05-15 16:49:09 UTC
I will also make a prediction that the class of ship that will benefit most from the MagSheath Target Breaker I will be Command Ships, closely followed by whatever ship your FC happens to fly (that can fit it).

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#299 - 2012-05-15 17:47:13 UTC
That war cost equation seems overly complex. This

cost = 5900000 * ( N - 60 )^.5

Gives almost the same curve and is much simpler.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Eternal Error
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#300 - 2012-05-15 18:11:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternal Error
Rushdyn Afasi wrote:

1. Players already make strategic decisions when picking their targets. Wars aren't going to become more meaningful with this "expansion" because almost no one is going to be in a war after its release. You also seem to not understand the spirit of eve. There are supposed to be wars, and the supposed purpose of this expansion was to make wars more prevalent, or at least a bigger deal, not make them an endangered species.

2. Except not, because there is now no incentive to get to that point. In order to unify, they would first have to cross the war sweetspot of ~50-150 members, which are just about the only corporations and alliances that most entities will bother wardeccing now. You would have far better luck staying under 30 members and trying to be not worth the 50m cost than you would banding together. Additionally, alliance wardecs used to cost more, which made joining alliances advantageous for corps looking to avoid wardecs. This is no longer the case.