These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What do you think of tribes:ascend?

Author
Whadafool
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-05-14 23:28:15 UTC
Been playing the game for about a month now, and i have to say im loving it

Made a little video for you guys ;)

youtube link

anyway, feel free to add me in game, gets a little boring playing by myself

stuff

VKhaun Vex
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-05-15 00:17:28 UTC
I didn't like it. It's no where near as hard as old school tribes, but the whole community was IMMEDIATELY elitist. They also hand out the spin fuser to three or four classes and it's AoE is gigantic now. It was actually very crafty of the devs to make it not show the little 'hit confirm' widget when you just do splash damage with the outer ring, so people 'think' it is hard to hit with and the AoE doesn't seem as big as it is when they shoot it.

I was never a fan of the original Tribes but I understood it and respected it. This game felt very random, unevenly paced, and stiff.

Charges Twilight fans with Ka-bar -Surfin's PlunderBunny LIIIIIIIIIIINNEEEEE PIIIEEEECCCCEEE!!!!!!! -Taedrin Using relativity to irrational numbers is smart -rodyas I no longer believe we landed on the moon. -Atticus Fynch

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-05-15 01:26:19 UTC
They killed Tribes the second they made it have exp

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Tactical Farmers
#4 - 2012-05-15 04:19:10 UTC
How about you cry some more? No one is forcing you to buy anything.

Despite being nowhere as good as the previous and having a long list of flaws, I quite like Tribes Ascend for what it is because it is still a better multiplayer game than any of the recent iterations of CoD and BF.

I do agree with some of the criticism, the whole encouragement to constantly spend real money to unlock various things because the exp grind to do the same is just staggering would my biggest complaint.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Whadafool
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-05-15 10:34:52 UTC
@Vex I respect your opinion. Whilst i wasn't around for the first tribes i think the spin fusers are fines they are. There are other weapons that are OP and need sorting but the game is yet young so give them a chance ;)

@Aurfins Again, i have to disagree. With the business model they have gone for (f2p) they couldn't of really had it any other way. Sure, they could of gone sub based, but that model is apparently on its last legs. With xp it's not a p2w game, it is still a grind to get to 100k xp for one gun though :s

@Alpheias again, i haven't played any of the previous tribes games but i would say give it chance, the game is barely out of beta. As for the gold thing, they have gone f2p and need to make money some how. Some of the transaction aren't so micro but again it's more of a convenience thing, you could always spend an age grinding for that gun if you really wanted to :)

stuff

Implying Implications
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-05-15 13:28:00 UTC
I played Tribes Assend a lot last month and I quite like it except the awful jet-pack physics.

Also, unlockables in a fps is ********.
Whadafool
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-05-15 14:24:38 UTC
Implying Implications wrote:
Also, unlockables in a fps is ********.

it gives you something to work for ;)

new vid here

stuff

VKhaun Vex
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2012-05-15 14:27:15 UTC
Oh the unlockables and incredible XP grinds is becoming the hallmark of that developer. At the LAST SECOND of the Global Agenda beta they split a launch day worth of content over ONE HUNDRED slow grind levels. The beta forums collectively beat the **** out of them so they went back to only... fifty... slow grind levels for one good day's worth of content. I think the class with the most weapons was the assault, and that was like four (PvE and PvP versions of the same gun don't count), and some of those were common pool.

Oh look, they did it again with Tribes.

They think this is a good idea and so they will never get my money again for anything, unless I sign up for a closed beta and they invite me to it without having to buy anything and prove me very solidly wrong.

Charges Twilight fans with Ka-bar -Surfin's PlunderBunny LIIIIIIIIIIINNEEEEE PIIIEEEECCCCEEE!!!!!!! -Taedrin Using relativity to irrational numbers is smart -rodyas I no longer believe we landed on the moon. -Atticus Fynch

Whadafool
State War Academy
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-05-15 14:30:30 UTC
cant say i played the other game, but i know what you mean

stuff

SpaceSquirrels
#10 - 2012-05-16 00:47:38 UTC
Eh... I liked tribes 2 better. Had more options, also didnt favor offense so much. You could add turrets to walls ceilings, Bombing was super fun. Wraths were better.

It's not bad just... Not the same.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-05-16 03:33:51 UTC
the original Starsiege: Tribes is still the best. Renegades mod ftw Big smile

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny