These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Petition: REMOVE MISSION CLOUDS or On/Off

First post
Author
Chokichi Ozuwara
Perkone
Caldari State
#61 - 2012-05-14 04:21:15 UTC
It's basically all goonswarm's fault.

Tears will be shed and pants will need to be changed all round.

Malak Dawnfire
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#62 - 2012-05-14 04:23:36 UTC
Chokichi Ozuwara wrote:
It's basically all goonswarm's fault.

It's true, they lured the clouds to popular mission hubs, mining areas and those annoying spots in wormholes in an attempt to get easy kills with people that have 1 FPS..curse you GSF! AttentionAttention
Tiger Armani
End-Game
#63 - 2012-05-14 06:39:59 UTC
+1M with this one.

Clouds and other similar effects (catalysmic in WH) seems to totally kill FPS. Basically I have to zoom out maximum and turn my view away from these to have any FPS.

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#64 - 2012-05-14 06:43:37 UTC
These clouds only serve as space heater activators. That is, they load up the graphics card to the point where I no longer need to burn gas to heat my home.

They obscure everything that passes in front of them, they lag the game, they make the HUD unreadable.

On top of all this, they can not be turned off.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#65 - 2012-05-14 06:51:51 UTC
Confirming bright space clouds are the best nonsense feature, beating submarine physics by a tiny margin.

+1 to OP.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Sheik Nanook
Villanova Junction
#66 - 2012-05-14 07:05:29 UTC
CCP, you made a step in the right direction by removing the green slime in Recon (3 of 3).

Now, I wouldn't mind if dust clouds made some sense or had any sort of functionality, but in their current state they are nothing but a graphical glitch.
CCP Spitfire
C C P
C C P Alliance
#67 - 2012-05-14 07:36:05 UTC
Moved from "EVE General Discussion".

CCP Spitfire | Marketing & Sales Team @ccp_spitfire

Tiger Armani
End-Game
#68 - 2012-05-14 09:02:09 UTC
CCP Spitfire wrote:
Moved from "EVE General Discussion".

Pretty please, could we get a comment from developers to this issue?
CCP Habakuk
C C P
C C P Alliance
#69 - 2012-05-14 13:57:51 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Habakuk
+1

Oh - wait...

Could you please name a few missions, where these clouds are specially annoying? I'll have a closer look at them (but don't expect any improvements before / with Inferno).

CCP Habakuk | EVE Quality Assurance | Team Five 0 | (Team Gridlock)

Bug reporting | Mass Testing

Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#70 - 2012-05-14 14:36:36 UTC
CCP Habakuk wrote:
+1

Oh - wait...

Could you please name a few missions, where these clouds are specially annoying? I'll have a closer look at them (but don't expect any improvements before / with Inferno).

Not missions, but anomalies like Forsaken Hubs, Hidden Hubs, cloud havens, station sanctums, etc ... Clouds are annoying.

I'll even go one step further and say that the sun is annoying too, it's too bloody bright. You go to the edge of our solar system and the Sun isn't nearly as bright as the ones in EVE.

But i'm not really complaining about scientific accuracy, quite the contrary. I'd love the option to turn the sun shineness off so it won't blind me.

By the way, there's a bug where you can dim the sun out by docking/undocking repeatedly. Sun becomes a big ball of roundness.

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#71 - 2012-05-14 14:40:54 UTC
Maxpie wrote:
Incidentally, we must be in a very dense portion of the galaxy for nearly every solar system to have such clouds.

You'd better stay clear from STO then ^^

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#72 - 2012-05-14 14:43:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Petrus Blackshell
CCP Habakuk wrote:
+1

Oh - wait...

I don't have a mission name for you, but I do have an exploration site name: Minor Angel Annex. Unless I've mixed up my sites, this is the one with the Angel Drug Lab in the last room.

You can see the dust clouds here, here, and here (non-bright cloud, at the bottom). Depending on how close I am to them, they can reduce my FPS from 60 to 10-20. The closer, the worse. I do not currently have any screenshots of this, but they make engine trails and the engine "flames" look weird on many ships. The performance hit makes no sense at all for the visual quality of these clouds (which are basically vague flat textured blobs).

System info: AMD Phenom II x4 3.2 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 1600 RAM, EVGA GTX 465

Ed: as Renan said, this problem is quite prominent in many exploration complexes. I do not remember the specific names (since these screenshots are pretty old), but this is a nullsec Angel magnetometric site I ran a while ago, and this is another such site viewed from farther away. Same blobby clouds, same lag in all of them.

Cathrine Kenchov
Ice Cold Ellites
#73 - 2012-05-14 15:20:24 UTC
CCP Habakuk wrote:
+1

Oh - wait...

The Maze.. holy jesus christ that light
Sarmatiko
#74 - 2012-05-14 15:34:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarmatiko
CCP Habakuk wrote:

Worlds Collide one and another.
Infiltrated Outposts lvl4 second pocket.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#75 - 2012-05-14 15:50:10 UTC
Sarmatiko wrote:
CCP Habakuk wrote:

Worlds Collide one and another.
Infiltrated Outposts lvl4 second pocket.

And I thought I had it bad. Damn.

Tiger Armani
End-Game
#76 - 2012-05-14 16:14:19 UTC
Try any WH site with clouds. And if you feel really brave, try it in Catalysmic effect WH. Also any ladar site will do in Catalysmic WH.
BeanBagKing
The Order of Atlas
#77 - 2012-05-14 17:42:16 UTC
CCP Habakuk wrote:
+1

Oh - wait...

It's been ages since I ran missions, so I can't really name any specifically, but I do remember they would absolutely demolish the frame rate on my computer. The anoms in 0.0 do it to a degree, but since they are usually smaller, it's not as big of a hit. There's at least one mission I remember running that had a huge cloud in it, and I would have to run it at like 2 fps the entire time.
Malice Redeemer
Kenshin.
Fraternity.
#78 - 2012-05-14 19:30:08 UTC
wow, funny jelly kid is funny jelly kid. I stand by my post, they are fine.

I would much rather they ignore this and get every last dev they have on making sure the core UI does not blow clunks after the patch, but that's wishful thinking I guess
Duvida
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#79 - 2012-05-14 19:35:34 UTC
I'll add to the support of adjusting clouds so that they are less of a visual and computational burden. They add to the ambience, but could stand changing as they currently add too much of a negative in other areas.

And CCP Habakuk, thanks for looking at this and talking to us about it. Think of it as an, apparently, well supported way to make a large number of players happier.
Adrian Dixon
Arbitrary Spaceship Destruction
-affliction-
#80 - 2012-05-14 20:13:15 UTC
CCP Habakuk wrote:
+1

Oh - wait...

Habakuk the Duo of Death Serpentis level 4 mission has a good example of these bad clouds. You can not see weapon fire or ship exhausts, its like the layering order of effects is all messed up and the resolution of the cloud looks to be 16x16 pixies ;)

I think the number of likes the OP has recieved says it all Big smile