These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

"Borrowing" an idea from GW:Nightfall: commander NPCs

Author
Linna Excel
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-05-08 22:26:11 UTC
For those that don't know, in that game, a solo player could fill up a party slot (fleet slot or whatever they are called here) with an NPC hero. So my idea is add a skill for each level you could have 2 commander NPCs who each could fly a ship for you (that you'd have to buy, equip, and insure of course). The last NPC (5 levels) could be added to your ship to provide a small bonus to your ship. Also each NPC would have to learn combat skills similar to how players do (but not type up the player's learning queue).
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#2 - 2012-05-08 22:53:59 UTC
Another one?

Look, this has been brought up a thousand times before. Go find a friend to tag along, that's what I do. This IS an mmo after all, right?

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#3 - 2012-05-08 23:06:45 UTC
Linna Excel wrote:
For those that don't know, in that game, a solo player could fill up a party slot (fleet slot or whatever they are called here) with an NPC hero. So my idea is add a skill for each level you could have 2 commander NPCs who each could fly a ship for you (that you'd have to buy, equip, and insure of course). The last NPC (5 levels) could be added to your ship to provide a small bonus to your ship. Also each NPC would have to learn combat skills similar to how players do (but not type up the player's learning queue).

Now imagine, say, a full fleet of players doing this. Suddenly your one fleet (255 guys) is three fleets.

Now add in an opposing force of the same size.

A 500 person fight just became a 1500 person one. Are you sure that's a good idea?
Linna Excel
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-05-14 03:29:57 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
A 500 person fight just became a 1500 person one. Are you sure that's a good idea?

Actually it'd be a 5000 person fight with my suggestion.

And BLEEP YEAH it'd be a good idea. CCP wanted to tweak the game for miners, well multiplying the number of ships and fittings by ten would certainly make things interesting for industrialists. In the beginning demand would outpace supply. Nulsec alliances would have to have ten times the number of ships and equipment ready as they do now. Plus if you could do with 20 players what you used to be able to do with 200, that means both sides would have more options open to them.

The best way to take out a blob is with a bigger blob. Multiplying blobs by ten is a good start to that.
Loius Woo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2012-05-14 03:48:47 UTC
Blob warfare is bad

Your idea makes everyone a blob

It is hard enough to manage ONE ship in a fleet fight correctly, let alone 10!

I think this is a bad idea.

Imagine getting a kill mail and realizing that your super expensive ship was popped by a bunch of NPC's cause the player wasn't even quick enough to get a shot in. That would **** me off.

Very bad idea IMO. Bots are bad mkay.
leviticus ander
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-05-14 04:22:33 UTC
not any mention that NPCs are all regular ships, while players are pod pilots and are pretty much better in every way. why would you want horribly inferior ships/pilots getting in your way just for a little more damage output?
Ager Agemo
Rainbow Ponies Incorporated
#7 - 2012-05-14 04:49:58 UTC
NO NO NO AND NO! Seriously this is NOT DIABLO or Ragnarok or WOW, no mercenary, bot helpers, pets or whatever.

get friends to fly with you really.... this is a multiplayer game.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#8 - 2012-05-14 06:51:29 UTC
Sobaan Tali wrote:
Go find a friend to tag along, that's what I do. This IS an mmo after all, right?

Pretty much this.

What's the point in playing a multiplayer game if you aren't going to play with or against other players?
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2012-05-14 09:41:38 UTC
Linna Excel wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:

Actually it'd be a 5000 person fight with my suggestion.

And BLEEP YEAH it'd be a good idea. CCP wanted to tweak the game for miners, well multiplying the number of ships and fittings by ten would certainly make things interesting for industrialists. In the beginning demand would outpace supply. Nulsec alliances would have to have ten times the number of ships and equipment ready as they do now. Plus if you could do with 20 players what you used to be able to do with 200, that means both sides would have more options open to them.

The best way to take out a blob is with a bigger blob. Multiplying blobs by ten is a good start to that.

Okay, yeah, you're an idiot.
Im Super Gay
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2012-05-14 12:34:12 UTC
Get out