These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Is eve failing as bad as I think it is?

Author
Florestan Bronstein
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2011-10-02 09:54:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Florestan Bronstein
Sandy Vaga wrote:
Hardly any of my old friends even log on anymore and my contact list goes back almost 7 years.....and I haven't seen alot of the old boys log in since last year.

bachelor - 3-4 years
master - 1-2 years

basically only the PhD students left with time to play...
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#22 - 2011-10-02 09:59:27 UTC
The end is nigh! THE END IS NIGH!

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

schurem
Anarchy Inc.
#23 - 2011-10-02 10:40:43 UTC
Florestan Bronstein wrote:
Sandy Vaga wrote:
Hardly any of my old friends even log on anymore and my contact list goes back almost 7 years.....and I haven't seen alot of the old boys log in since last year.

bachelor - 3-4 years
master - 1-2 years

basically only the PhD students left with time to play...

this for greater justice.

Much of eve gameplay as i know it takes huge blocks of time. two hours up to ten for some of the more epic fleets i have been in.
While this is epic beyond all reason, it also does not jive with having a life outside the game.

If ccp wants to keep the bittervets who, as Florestan pointed out have finished their masters' and are now having jobs, they need to find a way to make a meaningful contribution to the grand political schemes of nullsec in the space of half an hour. I'm afraid this can't be done....

.... You can't take the skies from me.

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2011-10-02 11:16:28 UTC
Well,

To the subject no, i dont think that EVE/CCP is near to fall or going that way. That doesnt mean i log in game, it just got nothing to do with recent expansions, or game itself. I just dont feel like playing.

Got the same period right after BoB has been disbanded and we moved to Sakht. Got same period now several months after i left corporation.
I play mostly solo but at least at the system where someone else doing something. Group is just more solo players at one place with one goal. I lost my place, i lost my goal and most importantly i lost my Sanctum income Lol

Its just my alternative reality which has been hit. Its not problem of the game, at least not for me since i am not one of the leaders of power-blocks who suffer under current situation. That said the problem is allways in your own imagination and perception of reality not in reality itself. Reality just is.
Long John Silver
Doomheim
#25 - 2011-10-02 11:18:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Long John Silver
schurem wrote:
Much of eve gameplay as i know it takes huge blocks of time. two hours up to ten for some of the more epic fleets i have been in. While this is epic beyond all reason, it also does not jive with having a life outside the game.

If ccp wants to keep the bittervets who, as Florestan pointed out have finished their masters' and are now having jobs, they need to find a way to make a meaningful contribution to the grand political schemes of nullsec in the space of half an hour. I'm afraid this can't be done....

THIS.

Plus the demands of null sov owners, is why there are so many experienced players still making their living in hi-sec rather than null.

Bittervet = experienced player who has 'retired' to a less demanding life in hi-sec.

Then they get bored and eventually retire from EVE altogether. It's the EVE life cycle. Shame is, with a bit of work and attention from CCP, they could so easily keep folks from leaving by making the 'casual' player options more fulfilling.

**Long John Silver **| Pirate Alt and Forum Troll.

Rhaegor Stormborn
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2011-10-02 12:25:41 UTC
The slope is still trending downward pretty badly. Winter is all but here, summer is definately over, and we have not seen anything even close to a rebound in players online.

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility
Hroya
#27 - 2011-10-02 12:37:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Hroya
Of course eve is dying. everything has an end at some point.

But to take online numbers or contact lists as a guide is a bit off.
If ccp would ban all those alledged bots at once you will see the numbers proberbly take a nosedive.
But that dip wouldnt mean it's dead, contrary, it would be healthier.

The launch of incarna went rather smooth at the server end, but caused some rather unpleasant issue's client side.
It was designed in a time where there was no economic dip and upgrading a vid card or even a complete new comp wouldnt be an issue for many.
If ccp manages to work on that issue and iterate on incarna to give it some proper meaning apart from some limited enviroment then it could attract new players or reinvite former players.

Eve isnt dead, at some point it will, but not anytime soon.

You go your corridor but.

Gypsy RoseLee
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2011-10-02 12:55:15 UTC
Eve is dead for me. Of my three accounts, one ran out of time yesterday and I have put it on the shelf. In about two weeks I'm going have to decide if I want to keep training at least one account with plex (and I could for a very long time with the bankroll I have) or to shelf the last two accounts. I'm leaning towards letting both expire based upon CCP's actions, because I'm sure as hell not listening to the words they are flinging around after Hilmar's email:

CCP CEO Hilmar wrote:
Currently we are seeing very predictable feedback on what we are doing. Having the perspective of having done this for a decade, I can tell you that this is one of the moments where we look at what our players do and less of what they say.

CCP and their diverting of all their efforts into two other games I have no interest in is reflected in the quality of the product we are playing at this moment. The last couple expansions have entirely been about development of assets and technology they intend to use in those other two games.

My subscription is the way I show support for a developer and the quality of the product they provide. With that in mind, how anyone in good conscience can send even one dime towards CCP with the game in the state that it is in right now is bewildering. Especially when we know that that dime is going towards a twighlightish vampire MMO or fail-before-launch console shooter on the PS3 platform that half the Eve players don't even own to play it on.
Barbelo Valentinian
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#29 - 2011-10-02 13:11:56 UTC
Voivod Rhahk'an Anstian wrote:
It's true that the old crowd is leaving, preparing to leave, or has already left, but CCP counts on pretty much different type of players to come... will they succeed in that is yet to be seen, though. Personally, I doubt.

Yeah I think this is just about the size of it.

The "feel" of the game, to me, is that a lot of older players still had a thin thread of trust in CCP that was making them carry on subscribing to a game that they'd probably already gotten bored with long ago (and let's face it, the game's had a damn good run no matter how you look at it). But CCP's gross bumbling and fumbilng earlier this year, and the contempt for players shown in the leaked stuff, just totally broke that thread of trust.

Something really "popped" for many people - the bubble of immersion. Suddenly a lot of people realized there were other things they could be doing with their time.

So maybe this was partly deliberate. Maybe CCP decided on a leap of faith - that they'd be able to get more players in to replace the lost ones.

Time will tell whether the strategy worked. I think they'd have to "dumb down" EVE much more for it to work. It's simply not a casual gamer's game (unless you put a lot of effort into making it work for you as a casual player).

OTOH, maybe if CCP do "get back to basics" and concentrate on making EVE the best space game it could possibly be, maybe a lot of those older players will return eventually?

But I have a feeling there's only so far you can rely on "being the only decent space MMO in town" to keep players coming back. Maybe that limit has been reached? Dunno really, but it's fascinating to watch it all unfold.
Nak hak
#30 - 2011-10-02 17:45:44 UTC
Thank you for playing EVE Online, and being a member of its community. Have fun in your future entertainment ventures.

It's about freedom.

Best Regards, Nak hak

Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#31 - 2011-10-02 17:53:03 UTC
Jita Alt666 wrote:
Eve is dying. slowly, painfully and incompetently. Only the true blind fan boys and those who enjoy trolling forums enough to exchange plex for game time to continue them to do so remain.

Everything is dying slowly, including you.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2011-10-02 19:04:43 UTC

Sandy Vag *LOL*
Jita Alt666
#33 - 2011-10-02 20:53:48 UTC
Bane Necran wrote:
Jita Alt666 wrote:
Eve is dying. slowly, painfully and incompetently. Only the true blind fan boys and those who enjoy trolling forums enough to exchange plex for game time to continue them to do so remain.

Everything is dying slowly, including you.

Dying competently however.
Something Random
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#34 - 2011-10-02 21:00:05 UTC
No.

Goodbye.

Your stuff ? if not, to me eh.....

"caught on fire a little bit, just a little."

"Delinquents, check, weirdos, check, hippies, check, pillheads, check, freaks, check, potheads, check .....gangs all here!"

I love Science, it gives me a Hadron.

Bhaal
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#35 - 2011-10-03 13:19:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Bhaal
Quote:
Your sub money is for renting server time. No more no less.

It's also for the "free" content upgrades. Which is what the OP is bitching about.

I'm on my 5 free days here, only logged in to see the ambulation stuff, it was cool for about 5 minutes.

I wanted walking in stations in 2003 (Blame Earth & Beyond), ah, those were the days, when EVE was fun to play. Big smile

I'm too far removed from EVE to even comment on the current state of the game, quit about 4 years ago. However, I do see a lot more ppl complianing about the direction CCP is going with the game, too bad, it used to be a great game.
Previous page12