These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Lowsec Exploration

Author
Shaky Ground
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-05-13 10:13:06 UTC
Living in a WH with a LS static, is LS exploration worth doing when there is no sites up in my WH?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnd, can I do said exploration in mah Tengu or do I need a bigger boat?
Zoe Athame
Don't Lose Your Way
#2 - 2012-05-13 10:16:28 UTC
Yes they are worth it and yes a Tengu is fine, just make sure it's cloaky.
St Mio
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2012-05-13 10:19:38 UTC  |  Edited by: St Mio
Cloaky Tengu DPS is terrible for lowsec combat sites, you'll probably want to use the cloaky subsystem only for traveling in lowsec and switching to Accel. Ejection Bay in system once you've found something worth running.

Edit:
Watch out if the WH drops you into Blood Raider lowsec, their sites have lots of webbing and neuting which will make your Tengu very, very sad.
Shaky Ground
Doomheim
#4 - 2012-05-13 12:08:47 UTC
I was planning to scan a few systems down in the buzzard, then tear through them on the Tengu or whatever
Myrlo
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2012-05-13 18:30:40 UTC
Well, to answer the question:

Its worth it, absolutely, especially if you need some change from Sleeper boredom :)
I wouldn't go for Sansha/BR/Serp Lowsec with that Tengu, as for its EM hole and some harder DED 5/10, 6/10 in that space.
If you got decent skills you might try so in a less occupied low sec system...

Have fun and don't get ganked in that neat Caldari state-of-the-art ship *g*

Myrlo
Tierius Fro
Coronado's Cross
#6 - 2012-05-13 19:06:28 UTC
I have a low sec static and I regularly explore in low sec. I work radar/mag in a Pilgrim/Falcon, just in case some PvP presents itself. I work plexes in BC's. I also harvest gas when I find the good stuff.

Fro

http://ridingevewormhole.blogspot.com/

Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#7 - 2012-05-13 20:23:41 UTC
Myrlo wrote:
Well, to answer the question:

Its worth it, absolutely, especially if you need some change from Sleeper boredom :)
I wouldn't go for Sansha/BR/Serp Lowsec with that Tengu, as for its EM hole and some harder DED 5/10, 6/10 in that space.
If you got decent skills you might try so in a less occupied low sec system...

Have fun and don't get ganked in that neat Caldari state-of-the-art ship *g*

Myrlo

Bunk. I spend the majority of my exploration time in BR low sec in a Tengu with a smattering of Sansha and Serpentis. It eats Serps for breakfast and can run anything BR can throw with the exception of minor annexes, where the webs and neuts will indeed kill you. 5/10s require you to snipe the overseer but otherwise a full clear is quite possible. Sansha 6/10s still pose a problem though.
For'um Falt
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-05-14 21:39:47 UTC
A question - is low-sec exploration actually worth it?

I had done it for quite a bit and I am still not sure if I really want to go back. In high sec it's all about competition but plexes themselves are super easy. So you scan fast, you biltz, and then you maximize your loot/profit by just running more sites.

In low sec plexes are harder. That would be good but that as well makes it slower to run them and decreases how many you run per hour/day/etc. That effectively decreases how much loot you will get at the end of a day. Even though the stuff you get is better, you are getting less of it as well so I suppose that part is somewhat on par between high sec and low sec. If that was the only difference I would rather max my ship and run low sec because high sec plexes are too easy.

But... There is all that low-sec drama with leet PvPers working on their killboard effeciency by killing people who are not looking for a fight. I am fine with them - everyone strokes their e-peens their own special way. But you need to avoid camps, be paranoid about people in local, hit d-scan as crazy, scan from safespots, gimp your fits, etc. And when you bring all this crapp into the equation then low sec exploration doesn't seem like a step up anymore.

Why would you do exploration in low sec?

I guess I will try it some day just to get more variety in my faction loot collection but I wouldn't say I am looking forward to it.

i am a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude

Kalli Brixzat
#9 - 2012-05-14 22:01:08 UTC
1. Cloaked while probing.
2. Dock and refit before running sites.
3. ???
4. Profit
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#10 - 2012-05-15 06:44:46 UTC
For'um Falt wrote:

But... There is all that low-sec drama with leet PvPers working on their killboard effeciency by killing people who are not looking for a fight. I am fine with them - everyone strokes their e-peens their own special way. But you need to avoid camps, be paranoid about people in local, hit d-scan as crazy, scan from safespots, gimp your fits, etc. And when you bring all this crapp into the equation then low sec exploration doesn't seem like a step up anymore.

Well, I've explored mostly in low and null because all that stuff that you call crap makes it far more fun and interesting than racing Tengus in Guristas hisec. PVE by it's very definition terrible and boring, and only exposure to human interaction makes it beareable.

Also, lowsec plexes often host interesting combat encounters, and teaming up with your buddies enables you to engage others, and not worry about gimping your fits. We've been both chasing explorers out of sites, and being chased out of them- while lone wolf exploration is cool, teamwork makes it efficient, relatively safe and very fun indeed :)

Lilan Kahn
The Littlest Hobos
The Whale Hunters Association
#11 - 2012-05-15 11:31:41 UTC
tengu gila and ishtar are the best low sec plex runners imo
Shaky Ground
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-05-15 22:08:52 UTC
For'um Falt wrote:

As per the OP, I'm living in a WH. Lowsec is not an area of space I am afraid of.
Mnemosyne Gloob
#13 - 2012-05-16 08:51:52 UTC
For'um Falt wrote:

Not everyone likes the 'grind' nature that exploration in highsec is/has become. I did it for a while in some areas and became quite bored of it.

Also I like the big payouts, even if maybe you could get more over time in highsec.

Actually tho you are right and i think you should keep farming highsec. Roll
Tomcio FromFarAway
Singularity's Edge
#14 - 2012-05-16 09:51:28 UTC
Mnemosyne Gloob wrote:

Exactly. We all know that exploration is all about isk/h ratio and farming is a proper way of doing it. Thinking that it should be done for any other reason is very noobish. After all, the great grind is a pinnacle of fun.
St Mio
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2012-05-16 10:58:30 UTC
Tomcio FromFarAway wrote:
Mnemosyne Gloob wrote:

Exactly. We all know that exploration is all about isk/h ratio and farming is a proper way of doing it. Thinking that it should be done for any other reason is very noobish. After all, the great grind is a pinnacle of fun.

Some people just want to be winners and hoard their loot, the actual ISK doesn't matter to them cause they hoard that too :D
Tomcio FromFarAway
Singularity's Edge
#16 - 2012-05-16 14:45:07 UTC
St Mio wrote:

Some people just want to be winners and hoard their loot, the actual ISK doesn't matter to them cause they hoard that too :D

Haha, so very true.
Speaking of hoarding, I think I need more station containers. It's getting hard to fish out the stuff I want.Lol

Lilan Kahn wrote:
tengu gila and ishtar are the best low sec plex runners imo

In Inferno you can add Droneus to the mix ( finally ).Big smile
Ristlin Wakefield
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2012-05-22 16:22:37 UTC
Heh, compared to WH, low-sec is a walk through the park. My character is less than a month old (also first character in Eve) and I enjoy low-sec exploration. Granted, I can't do most of the DED sites and just stick to magnets. Even if I am overwhelmed and forced to warp out, I am usually able to salvage/analyze a can or two and bank 50+ million ISK easily within an hour.

I have a lover, her name is EVE. I see her every night and all she asks in return is that I have a pilot's license.