These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

FW: Navy Issue Rookie Ships

Author
Xhaiden Ora
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-05-12 08:13:18 UTC
Not sure if this has been suggested yet, but here goes:

Take the spiffy new Rookie ships and create a Navy Issue version of them that has some modest stat improves ( But still beneath the new tierless Frigates ). Available for purchase in FW systems with ISK or LP for anyone currently signed up for Faction Warfare ( They could require an FW rank to pilot for example ). They come fully prefit with basic "Rookie" modules ( turrets, an afterburner, etc ), essentially similar to Civilian modules. Less effective but low skill modules for newer players.

The idea being to provide a baseline, no worries disposal frigate class vessal for new players to learn the PVP ropes in as a learning bridge. Which comes prefit and ready for action so a new player doesn't have to worry about the logistics of finding and fitting a new ship with every glorious failure they are sure to experience. They can just limp back to a station and buy a new one, then head right back out again. As they gain experience with pvp and the game as well better fitting skills, they can begin tweaking the fit with regular modules here and there. Till they've learned enough to be comfortable with taking on the risk and logistics of fitting and replacing a regular frigate for pvp purposes.

The new player tutorials can then point straight at FW for PVP and new players get a free one the first time they sign up for FW. Viola, influx of fresh meat that won't get discouraged by being ruthlessly blown out of the sky at first ( which is their inevitable destiny for the first few days >.> )

Additionally, with Frigates facing tiericide, their prices are likely to go up across the board provide material costs increase. Leaving a possible niche for a cheaper, disposal learning frigate to pvp with.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#2 - 2012-05-12 08:27:38 UTC
So, you want free PvP ships that are halfway decent. That's a terrible idea.

Instead the newbies should just join a corp that offers free fast tackle ships (and if a corp can't afford to toss together a dozen free 1M ISK tackle frigs for newbies, they're doing something very wrong).
Xhaiden Ora
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-05-12 08:38:55 UTC
mxzf wrote:

Instead the newbies should just join a corp that offers free fast tackle ships (and if a corp can't afford to toss together a dozen free 1M ISK tackle frigs for newbies, they're doing something very wrong).

They aren't free. Perhaps you should re-read my post. I'm not suggesting handing out free ships, they still cost ISK/LP and should cost said ISK/LP on par with the current low tier frigates. The ISK risk still needs to be there obviously. If you're seriously complaining about getting the first one as a quest reward, you must have missed how the tutorials already work. Seeing as they shower you with free ships.

The idea is to improve EVE's biggest long standing problem: The new player experience. Everyone always seems to be complaining about how they can't get more players into pvp and low sec/null sec. But at the same time opposing anything that would make it easier for new players to get into pvp and low sec/nullsec.

Shirley Serious
Gutter Press
#4 - 2012-05-12 10:47:56 UTC
Well, to provide fuel to the argument:

give it a different paint scheme. Possibly make the paint scheme dependent on your FW rank.

2/2/1 slot layout.
fit with 2x "militia" racial weapon, "militia" afterburner, "militia" web, "militia" armour rep.
"militia" modules same stats as the "civilian" modules that appear in the tutorials already, but can only be fitted to militia rookieships.

Would be ideal for stupidfun ops. Last one to die, loses, sort of thing.

make it cost a couple hundred thousand isk if needed, so it is not entirely consequence free.

Just the facts.

Im Super Gay
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2012-05-12 14:30:53 UTC
New players are, or were, given frigates/industrials in the tutorial missions. There is literally no point to faction rookie ships except "I want faction rookie ships."
Xhaiden Ora
Doomheim
#6 - 2012-05-12 15:37:38 UTC
Im Super Gay wrote:
There is literally no point to faction rookie ships except "I want faction rookie ships."

Except, you know, all the ones I gave in the original post. None of which you address or refute in any way. Running theme around here it seems. >.>
Johnny Frecko
Violence is the Answer
Wormhole Society
#7 - 2012-05-12 16:37:20 UTC
That being said, I'd like to expand on this -

Add "faction fits" up to cruisers that can be bought completly from NPC contracts.

The ships comes with a unique variation of the module, call it Meta X(or w/e).
The idea is that new pilots can just browse different fits and buy pre-made fits to use on missions/combat what ever.

The items should be less or equal to T1 stats, with the only difference of not being refinable.
This way they don't have any real value or impact on the real market.

it might also stop all the failfits we're seeing new pilots in, especially those that don't feel like joining a corp.
I know it's holding their hands, But right now as the game works we're kicking them to the street right after the tutorials end, and we shut the door behidn them.
Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-05-12 16:52:30 UTC
mxzf wrote:

Exactly, go battle griffins!

Back in an old corp, I had a stockpile of cheap and fast to train ewar/tackle frigs for all the rookies. Took them a day to train, a couple days for some more powerful cruiser variants. Hour of training to not lose a pos, and suddenly during war decs, was all lols.

To quote Lfod Shi

The ratting itself is PvE. Getting away with it is PvP.

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#9 - 2012-05-12 17:33:24 UTC
a electron bomb charge on my pod. thats all

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Danel Tosh
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-05-12 20:17:54 UTC
what if your rookie ship was changed to a faction version as soon as you join a faction. essencially as long as your in that faction whenever your podded or somthing you will have a shiny faction rookie ship there waiting for you.
however i must stress that the ship itself would have NO increaced stats just different paintjob signifiing that you are a mamber of a certain Faction.
Barbara Nichole
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2012-05-13 00:28:13 UTC
what would be their useful role other than as a sale item to collectors.

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Xhaiden Ora
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-05-13 05:02:50 UTC
Johnny Frecko wrote:

I know it's holding their hands, But right now as the game works we're kicking them to the street right after the tutorials end, and we shut the door behidn them.

Yes, thats the idea. Their "role" is to leave the door slightly ajar for new players.

EVE is a hard game and that's fine. But it should at least teach you how to play it decently before it starts kicking your ass. I'm sure a good number of people that try EVE just don't make it over that intial hump. Once they get kicked to the curb, they just don't have the tools or the knowledge yet to ward off the cold, ruthlessness of space. -.-
Morgan Dinn
Imperial Mechanics
#13 - 2012-05-13 07:29:56 UTC
How about that people involved in FW are given navy rookieships instead of normal ones.
XXSketchxx
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#14 - 2012-05-13 08:01:39 UTC
mxzf wrote:
That's a terrible idea.

Pretty much sums it up.
Xhaiden Ora
Doomheim
#15 - 2012-05-13 09:26:51 UTC
XXSketchxx wrote:
mxzf wrote:
That's a terrible idea.

Pretty much sums it up.

You? Flat out disagree with a suggestion on the Features & Ideas forum? I'm shocked.
RavenTesio
Liandri Corporation
#16 - 2012-05-13 14:39:34 UTC
Navy Rookie ships would end up little more than Collectors Items unless they were useful.
Personally I think the better option is that a Navy Rookie Ship, which just as a point can't actually be used in Faction Warfare and they can't enter Missions or Complexes (just a side note) would be to have their abilities increases.

Why not having so you pay a monthly LP / ISK so that your Rookie Ship replacement is a Faction Issue. It could have +1 H/M/L as well as 3 Rig slots; it could then have Faction Issue Hardware (2x Turrets) that were 2x as powerful as the Civilian versions.

So it is a little more useful but, not fantastically so. Would still end up a Collectors items more than likely, but a nice touch especially if they were allowed in Complexes / Missions.