These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

anyone ever been banned for griefing in EVE?

First post First post
Author
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#1 - 2012-05-10 15:04:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Antisocial Malkavian
I see ppl all over the place QQing about Goons "griefing" but if you dont get banned/warned for it .... its not griefing.
If CCP is cool with it its not griefing.

So Ive asked this a number of times in other threads and never got an answer.

HAS anyone ever gotten banned from the game for in game griefing?
Not talking in newbie systems, thats a special case cause CCP likes retaining new players.

EDIT: Typo, Banned

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#2 - 2012-05-10 15:15:49 UTC
It does happen

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#3 - 2012-05-10 15:16:23 UTC
I'm sure that there have been people banned for griefing. However, 99.99999999999999999% of the people who are supposedly 'griefing' are simply playing the game within the bounds of the system and just doing something someone else dislikes.

The main thing is that there's a line between playing the game and making it personal. Gank a guy a few times for tears, that's fine. Spend three months hunting him 24/7 and make it impossible for him to play the game at all, that's griefing and might get you banned.
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#4 - 2012-05-10 15:20:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Antisocial Malkavian
mxzf wrote:
I'm sure that there have been people banned for griefing. However, 99.99999999999999999% of the people who are supposedly 'griefing' are simply playing the game within the bounds of the system and just doing something someone else dislikes.

The main thing is that there's a line between playing the game and making it personal. Gank a guy a few times for tears, that's fine. Spend three months hunting him 24/7 and make it impossible for him to play the game at all, that's griefing and might get you banned.


Yeah this is what Im saying. Im just curious if its ever even happened cause if not, then there really ISNT a griefing rule lol

A rule thats never enforced isnt any kind of actual rule or deterrant.

And the 23/7 bit is why the really hardcore miners QQ about hulkageddon I think.

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Gorki Andropov
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-05-10 15:43:43 UTC
If there's a tangible ingame motivation for the aforesaid 'griefing' (ISK, KMs, what have you), the rule of thumb appears to be that it's not griefing. If, however, (for example) you are bumping someone for an hour continuously for 'teh lulz' (i.e., no real reason why you're doing it other than to bother and annoy), then anecdotal evidence suggests that you will be taken aside and shot.
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#6 - 2012-05-10 15:47:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Antisocial Malkavian
Gorki Andropov wrote:
If there's a tangible ingame motivation for the aforesaid 'griefing' (ISK, KMs, what have you), the rule of thumb appears to be that it's not griefing. If, however, (for example) you are bumping someone for an hour continuously for 'teh lulz' (i.e., no real reason why you're doing it other than to bother and annoy), then anecdotal evidence suggests that you will be taken aside and shot.


So then Burn Jita and the suicide gankers that do it for "teh luls" not for the money are guilty?
CCP seems to disagree.

Thats kinda the point here.
There doesnt seem to BE a "hard and steady" rule.

It took EVEN Mittens to make a drunken announcement on essentially live TV and a Eurogamer article comprised largely of lies and that catching on with everyone in the gaming news to eve n GET banned and thats even IF there actually WAS any griefing done, which noone still knows.

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Andrey Wartooth
Merch Industrial
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2012-05-10 15:57:47 UTC
Antisocial Malkavian wrote:
Gorki Andropov wrote:
If there's a tangible ingame motivation for the aforesaid 'griefing' (ISK, KMs, what have you), the rule of thumb appears to be that it's not griefing. If, however, (for example) you are bumping someone for an hour continuously for 'teh lulz' (i.e., no real reason why you're doing it other than to bother and annoy), then anecdotal evidence suggests that you will be taken aside and shot.


So then Burn Jita and the suicide gankers that do it for "teh luls" not for the money are guilty?
CCP seems to disagree.

Thats kinda the point here.
There doesnt seem to BE a "hard and steady" rule.

It took EVEN Mittens to make a drunken announcement on essentially live TV and a Eurogamer article comprised largely of lies and that catching on with everyone in the gaming news to eve n GET banned and thats even IF there actually WAS any griefing done, which noone still knows.


If burn Jita involved just shooting the same person over and over for an entire weekend, then I might could see your point. But see, if you consider Burn Jita to be griefing, then you'd also have to consider station camping to be griefing as well and then it's just a slippery slope to all pvping being griefing.
Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#8 - 2012-05-10 16:03:22 UTC
This is why it's better to leave it to the professionals to decide what constitutes as griefing and what isn't. If you believe somebody is doing something that you consider as griefing file a petition on it and let those who made the rules decide if it falls in the realm of grief play.

Burn Jita was not considered griefing. They gave players ample warning and announcements were even made in the system before the event started. The people in those freighters during the event knew what was outside of that dock. They did not target anyone in particular and they only kept it up for the duration that they had stated they would.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Doc Severide
Doomheim
#9 - 2012-05-10 16:33:03 UTC
All I can say is "good grief"
Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#10 - 2012-05-10 16:41:12 UTC
The only name that springs to mind from my looking into EVE history is Ginger Magician, a name a few older players will recognise will recognise. More threatening RL harm than in game griefing, but close enough.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Killer Gandry
Fenghuang Corporation
#11 - 2012-05-10 17:52:31 UTC
Griefing is a definition they added to the EULA, but there is no clear definition as to what griefing is.

So the application of punishment for griefing is something which rarely get's used because of the character of EVE.
In EVE a lot of things that would get you in a world of trouble in most games or will certainly get you in a world of trouble in real life are in EVE valid game mechanics.

CCP has made it so that the most anti social behaviour is actually encouraged and promoted as part of the whole gaming experience.
So expect it all to go very very far before a GM or Dev will burn his fingers and ban someone actually for griefing.

Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#12 - 2012-05-10 18:38:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Markus Reese
The only time I have heard of is repeated violation of the griefing in new player systems. Doing so once will get you a warning and not any more please. More than that, well that can do it. Is about the only way as far as I can tell. Also direct targeting of a player in game for personal, non game reasons can as well.

To quote Lfod Shi

The ratting itself is PvE. Getting away with it is PvP.

Boomhaur
#13 - 2012-05-10 23:56:41 UTC
Yeah people get banned just that our definition of griefing is a lot more relax than say WoW. In WoW if I attack you I would probably be labled a griefer, if I scam you I am a griefer, if I sneeze on you I am a griefer. In Eve we can do just about anything we want along if we can keep it in game and within the game mechanics, minus a few things here and there and were fine Pirate

Welcome to Eve. Everyone here is an Evil Sick Sadistic Bastard who is out to get you. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either trying to scam you or use you.

Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#14 - 2012-05-11 00:15:15 UTC
Antisocial Malkavian wrote:
Gorki Andropov wrote:
If there's a tangible ingame motivation for the aforesaid 'griefing' (ISK, KMs, what have you), the rule of thumb appears to be that it's not griefing. If, however, (for example) you are bumping someone for an hour continuously for 'teh lulz' (i.e., no real reason why you're doing it other than to bother and annoy), then anecdotal evidence suggests that you will be taken aside and shot.


So then Burn Jita and the suicide gankers that do it for "teh luls" not for the money are guilty?
CCP seems to disagree.

Thats kinda the point here.
There doesnt seem to BE a "hard and steady" rule.

It took EVEN Mittens to make a drunken announcement on essentially live TV and a Eurogamer article comprised largely of lies and that catching on with everyone in the gaming news to eve n GET banned and thats even IF there actually WAS any griefing done, which noone still knows.


Don't let them fool you, it's for the ISK. The after effects of Burn Jita are still playing out and I'm sure the Goons and many more will be making ISK off that for months yet. There is also ulaterior motivation there, but while luls are good, they are not it and are actually just an added bonus.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#15 - 2012-05-11 00:45:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Antisocial Malkavian
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
This is why it's better to leave it to the professionals to decide what constitutes as griefing and what isn't.


Firstly, I like it when I know if my actions would get me banned before I do them
Secondly I like having hard, written rules for what is and isnt gonna GET me banned

Markus Reese wrote:
The only time I have heard of is repeated violation of the griefing in new player systems. Doing so once will get you a warning and not any more please. More than that, well that can do it. Is about the only way as far as I can tell. Also direct targeting of a player in game for personal, non game reasons can as well.


Quote:
HAS anyone ever gotten banned from the game for in game griefing?
Not talking in newbie systems, thats a special case cause CCP likes retaining new players.


Yeah I noted that in the OP

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

gfldex
#16 - 2012-05-11 00:54:19 UTC
I know a few players how got warnings for grief play but heard about anybody who got banned. The warnings might do the trick.

Insults and RL threats are a different matter who. Got a few not so confident individuals banned for that myself.

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

HyperZerg
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2012-05-11 00:54:41 UTC
If you "grief" random people ingame it should be fine.

But, if you pick someone for an out of game reason, like your ex-wife for example and let's say gank her in highsec all the time for no in-game reason I guess you have some chances to get banned.

But not sure, I don't grief that much :P
Styx Sertan
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#18 - 2012-05-11 01:48:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Styx Sertan
What is your definition of griefing?

Solo suicide ganking?
Suicide Ganking in general?
War-deccing and Reinforcing/killing POS?
Camping the same wardecs in stations and causing area denial?
Ransoming someone's Reinforced POS?
Sending someone a ransom letter for said POS?
Taunting Wardecs?
Wardecing enemies of the state?
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#19 - 2012-05-11 02:17:08 UTC
I mean, if you want to read something hilarious;

http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=336

Quote:
A grief player, or "griefer," is a player who devotes much of his time to making others’ lives miserable, in a large part deriving his enjoyment of the game from these activities while he does not profit from it in any way. Grief tactics are the mechanics a griefer will utilize to antagonize other players. At our discretion, players who are found to be consistently maliciously interfering with the game experience for others may receive a warning, temporary suspension or permanent banning of his account.

This should not be confused with standard conflict that might arise between two (or more) players, such as corporation wars. The EVE universe is a harsh universe largely driven by such conflict and notice must be taken of the fact that nonconsensual combat alone is not considered to be grief play per the above definition.

An example of grief play would be the so called "Can baiting" in starter systems. An experienced player drops a cargo container with some items in front of a station in a starter system and waits for a new player to take from it. The new player is flagged and promptly attacked and killed by the owner of the container. Doing the same in starter tutorial complexes is also considered grief play and will not be tolerated.


****, by that ruling half the ppl in the game, Goons for one and anyone that suicide ganks "for the lulz" or to "collect tears" or hell, even "to combat botters" is in violation of this.

Who am I kidding, 75% or more lol

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Killer Gandry
Fenghuang Corporation
#20 - 2012-05-11 04:04:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Killer Gandry
Outgame reasons to gank someone over and over can easy be made into ingame reasons.
Is it griefing then or a valid gametactic toput tremendous pressure on your target?

I recall I have used alts and sometimes my main to get pressure on certain people for a prolonged period of time.
Some of them left the game because the pressure just never seemed to stop, others are currently still feeling safe untill the trap snaps.
I do this by calling in favours handing out favours or hiring in certain people who love certain styles of gameplay.

Does this make me a griefer if my action comes from valid and solid ingame actions and / or reactions?

I for one can carry a grudge for a very long time but I can also wait patiently for a plan to slowly to unfold I am patient when it comes to planning things and I don't need to use this account to get certain things done. Some things require a lot of planning and patience. Others require a prolonged period of pressure which might seem like griefing.

So once again, what exactly is griefing and what is valid gameplay.
Comming with definitions you pull off of some website might look cute for internet lawyers, but they hold very little substenance for EVE.
As long as CCP doesn't define exactly what they see as griefing and what as valid gameplay you will always be at the mercy of a GM's personal interpretation.
This might be influenced aswel by how they frown upon you or the group you belong to.
123Next page