These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Why do I want a cruiser when a destroyer has 8 hardpoints?

Author
Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2012-05-10 20:47:53 UTC
Tanya Powers wrote:

You're at the beginning, change ASAP, it's the best advice someone can give you. Go amarr/minmatar you can't go wrong with those 2 in any way.

Or Caldari for lolmissile pwnage.

Kinda sad really. Most Gallente ships are sexy beasts.

Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#22 - 2012-05-10 21:17:04 UTC
Damien Valdes wrote:
My DPS for my destroyer is 125. When I outfitted a cruiser, with medium turrets, it was 50.

That's why I asked.

Which destroyer, and which cruiser?

If you're using one of the mining cruisers or some of the drone cruisers, there is no damage bonus for the guns. Potentially you're also using a different ammo type which stresses, say, range over damage. Perhaps you have more points in the small gun skill than the medium gun skill (5% to damage per level). Perhaps your destroyer is using close-range guns, which have higher damage multipliers than long-range ones.

This leaves aside the question of whether you're using damage mods of some kind, and drone DPS (destroyers mostly can't fit drones, the drones on most cruisers can add 100-200dps easy) and so on.

So, yeah, basically what you're missing is, well, every single mechanic in Eve.

Gallente-specific advice:

If you want to shoot things, make sure you're in a thorax using blasters initially, and train up your propulsion skills as well as your gun skills and armor tank so that you can drive up close enough to actually shoot things in the face with them.

If you just want to kill stuff and aren't that worried about how to do it, focus on the Vexor. Use railguns, go heavier on defense than on damage mods, and train drones to V _immediately_ so you can get 5 medium drones into space.

More generally, you don't _have_ to switch races, but generally speaking if you want to focus on guns Gallente is not going to be your strongest choice. Gallente has the shortest-range, highest damage guns in the game (blasters) and the longest-range, lowest-damage guns in the game (railguns) and there's sort of a big range gap in the middle that you have to fill in with either a lot of propulsion or drones. If you're a gun guy I'd go Amarr, as they have a much larger donut of damage application for both of their gun types and can sort of reliably hit without too much int he way of acrobatics. Minmatar is OK, but at some point you'll need to fill range gaps with missiles still.
Fronkfurter McSheebleton
Horse Feathers
CAStabouts
#23 - 2012-05-11 00:47:54 UTC
Tor Gungnir wrote:
How are your Drone skills? Gallente is generally all about the Drones. Decent Drone skills+Armor tanking skills and you turn a Vexor into a monster. Turret DPS will be generally low unless you pick on of the few Gallente ships that do support the fielding of turrets.

You do know that, apart from the myrmidon, every single gallente "drone" ship also has a damage bonus to hybrids, right?

Further, between the cruiser, BC, and BS hulls designed for direct combat, there are 8 drone boats (vexor/navy, domi/navy, ishtar, sin, myrm, eos), but 10 gun ships, not to mention several other ships with bonuses to hybrids but not drones, such as the celestis hulls.

thhief ghabmoef

Marsan
#24 - 2012-05-11 04:47:02 UTC
One thing to remember about destroyers is they are glass cannons. They can put out a lot of damage but they can't take it. Also their sig radius is bigger than most frigates so they are hit for more damage by cruiser class weapons.

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2012-05-11 07:11:29 UTC
Fronkfurter McSheebleton wrote:
Tor Gungnir wrote:
How are your Drone skills? Gallente is generally all about the Drones. Decent Drone skills+Armor tanking skills and you turn a Vexor into a monster. Turret DPS will be generally low unless you pick on of the few Gallente ships that do support the fielding of turrets.

You do know that, apart from the myrmidon, every single gallente "drone" ship also has a damage bonus to hybrids, right?

Of course. But Drone modules are high slots too. You generally won't get the same DPS out of your Turrets on a Gallente Droneboat than on a dedicated Turretboat, obviously.

Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

Otrebla Utrigas
Iberians
#26 - 2012-05-11 07:30:06 UTC
Wyte Ragnarok wrote:
Damien Valdes wrote:
What am I missing?

Destroyers do more damage than Dreadnoughts, didn't you know?

Against frigates yes, they do.
Tarn Kugisa
Kugisa Dynamics
#27 - 2012-05-11 09:58:42 UTC
Orlacc wrote:
If you prefer a destroyer, fly a destroyer. There is no right way to go.

but there is a wrong way to do it.

Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to troll everyone you meet - KuroVolt

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#28 - 2012-05-11 16:33:13 UTC
Damien Valdes wrote:
My DPS for my destroyer is 125. When I outfitted a cruiser, with medium turrets, it was 50.

That's why I asked.

ugh, did you only put one turret on it?

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

highonpop
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#29 - 2012-05-11 16:40:38 UTC  |  Edited by: highonpop
OP, you are making the assumption that DPS determines what ship you fly. This could not be further from the truth. You can take a low DPS high TANK ship and still kill someone with it.

Also, There is no way that a Catalyst is spitting more DPS than a Thorax. Unless you fail fitted the thorax... or only put 1 medium gun on it...

FC, what do?

Eian
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#30 - 2012-05-11 17:24:28 UTC
Haulie Berry wrote:
Damien Valdes wrote:
Perhaps I am missing the point of a cruiser. I can pack a whole lot more firepower onto a destroyer.

What am I missing?

Are you seriously comparing ships solely based on how many turret hardpoints they have?

Seriously?

What you're missing would be collectively referred to as every other ship stat in the game.

It's a sad verse we live in.
Gorki Andropov
I Dn't Knw Wht You Wnt Bt I Cn't Gve It Anymre
#31 - 2012-05-11 19:40:47 UTC
EVE Online: silly people making stupid posts since 2003
Florio
Miniature Giant Space Hamsters
#32 - 2012-05-12 08:38:52 UTC
The OP is obviously a new player asking for advice as he perseveres with the steep learning curve. Some of you are making yourselves out to be right pr1cks.
Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2012-05-12 16:21:42 UTC
There are no stupid question, only stupid answers. Of which there are plenty in this thread. For shame.

Orlacc
#34 - 2012-05-12 16:59:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Orlacc
Tor Gungnir wrote:
Fronkfurter McSheebleton wrote:
Tor Gungnir wrote:

Of course. But Drone modules are high slots too. You generally won't get the same DPS out of your Turrets on a Gallente Droneboat than on a dedicated Turretboat, obviously.

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Katalci
Kismesis
#35 - 2012-05-12 19:18:17 UTC
Why do I want an Avatar when an Abaddon has 8 hardpoints instead of 6?
George Whitebread
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#36 - 2012-05-12 21:37:48 UTC
Katalci wrote:
Why do I want an Avatar when an Abaddon has 8 hardpoints instead of 6?

Is this supposed to be funny?

It's not. Mainly due to two things:

1.) A titan is by no means to a battleship what a cruiser is to a destroyer (i.e. cruisers and destroyers can in many instances be used for similar tasks in PvE).
2.) The established fact that thread starter is new to this game and are asking for help. He probably don't even know what an Abaddon is, and most certainly not what an Avatar is.

"I say what I like, and I like what I bloody well say" - George Whitebread

Captain Campion
Campion Corp.
#37 - 2012-05-13 11:57:58 UTC
The only role for a destroyer is Hulkageddon.

And Salvaging.

Niether of which were the intended purpose.
Previous page12