These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

help with hardners and amplifiers

Author
Mr Chili Palmer
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-05-09 01:55:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Chili Palmer
Mission Specific Hardeners and Mission Specific Resistance Amplifiers

if you were for example doing a lvl4 mission and the rats consisted of mainly bloods what would you fit in the way of hardners and amplifiers. and what is the difference between a hardner and amplifiers please
sorry for the nnob ish question, am still learning :)

kinetic deflection field....is this a hardner?
kinetic deflection amplifier.......i take this is an amplifier?

"If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence you ever tried"

"If your boss is getting you down, look at him through the prongs of a fork and imagine him in jail"

Fronkfurter McSheebleton
Horse Feathers
CAStabouts
#2 - 2012-05-09 02:13:18 UTC
One is active, one is passive.

Meaning, one of them you actually have to activate. It gives a better bonus, but takes a little bit of capacitor to run. These are hardeners, have an orange icon for shield, or gold for armor.

The other is passive, meaning it's a permanent bonus...you don't have to activate it, and it doesn't take cap. It does, however, give less of a bonus, though there are skills for both armor and shield that increase their effectiveness. (em/kinetic/etc compensation) These have a bronze logo(shield), or silver/bronze logo(armor). (Armor has two types, one of which has a lower bonus, but also lower fitting requirements)

thhief ghabmoef

Mr Chili Palmer
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-05-09 09:49:17 UTC
cheers for the reply.

"If your boss is getting you down, look at him through the prongs of a fork and imagine him in jail"

Azara Erata
Generic Tax Shelter Conglomerate
#4 - 2012-05-09 10:01:05 UTC
To continue on with which hardeners/amplifiers (Most run hardeners due to their sheer defensive power), which specific resists you want to fit are determined by which NPC faction you're facing.

http://eve.grismar.net/wikka.php?wakka=DamageTypes has a pretty comprehensive list of what resists you want to fit for which mission. Most tanks run a 2/1 hardeners setup, with two hardeners of the main damage type and one of the secondary damage type. If you're running a 2 hardener setup you just use one of each.
Mr Chili Palmer
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-05-09 10:14:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Chili Palmer
thank your reply and the link.
basically i am nearing the lvl4 mission stage and until i get more isk and finish off my training i am limited to a drake, so am trying to
equip myself one rather than copy other builds......maybe i should just copy a build :) less thinking to do.

Azara Erata
Generic Tax Shelter Conglomerate
#6 - 2012-05-09 10:23:27 UTC
Mr Chili Palmer wrote:
thank your reply and the link.
basically i am nearing the lvl4 mission stage and until i get more isk and finish off my training i am limited to a drake.
this is what i have so far

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/emperorbog/drake1.jpg

If you're running an L4 in a drake (I highly recommend just running L3s until you have the money and skills -- it's more efficient, I've had a bit of experience with this), you'll have to fit mission-specific resists (No omni-hardeners), go one of each.

Second, unless NPC resists expressly prohibit the use of scourge (kinetic) missiles, you should use those at least until the Inferno patch, as currently Drakes get a bonus to kinetic damage. Otherwise, that build looks good (It's basically the one I used for a while), but I'd suggest waiting to do L4s at least until you get full T2 tank modules outside of T2 rigs (Damage doesn't matter as long as you can kill high-resist BSes, but...It'll be painfully long, I promise).
Mr Chili Palmer
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-05-09 10:37:01 UTC
ok many thanks for the advice, it seems sound and you have more experience than me so i will stop trying to run before i can walk.