These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

The history of Mining

Author
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#21 - 2012-05-08 14:44:25 UTC
This is going back to 2005/2006 but here I am in my nano Navy Apoc Mining wessel, hurr-durr, it was amazing.

http://go-dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/ladyspank/navyminer.jpg

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Fabulousli Obvious
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#22 - 2012-05-08 14:48:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Fabulousli Obvious
You girls do realize the irony of this thread during Hulkageddon I hope.

Now, about that Laser Banana......

I am NOT YOUNG ENOUGH to know EVERYTHING.  ~~ Oscar Wilde, writer, d. November 30, 1900

Tobiaz
Spacerats
#23 - 2012-05-08 14:51:48 UTC
Quite a lot of people back in the day were a bit ... vocal... about the mighty Apocs being reduced to the standard choice for roidgrinding, but it wasn't until the exhumers that 'minerpocs' really became a relic of the past.

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#24 - 2012-05-08 14:52:05 UTC
It's not ironic. It's topical. I suggest you learn the meaning of words before bandying them about.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Fabulousli Obvious
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#25 - 2012-05-08 14:54:28 UTC
Lady Spank wrote:
It's not ironic. It's topical. I suggest you learn the meaning of words before bandying them about.

rawr. Look whose claws are quick today.

It's ironic AND topical. No argument here.Smile

I am NOT YOUNG ENOUGH to know EVERYTHING.  ~~ Oscar Wilde, writer, d. November 30, 1900

Execer
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2012-05-08 14:57:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Execer
I started Eve (with a different Char) in June 2003 a month after release.

There were 4 ship types. Frigate, Cruiser, Battleship, Industrial.

In the beginning, as has been suggested, most people mined. We got in our frigates, warped to belt, mined, warped back to station. Rinse and repeat until I could afford a cruiser and an industrial.

I used to wake up in the morning, set my indy off into a belt and leave it afk mining with one T1 mining laser and then go to school. Coming back to a cargo load of veld was awesome! 50k-100k was so much isk! The asteriods were massive and you didnt get suicide ganked.

Eventually I joined a corp and we all mined together in our cruisers and with dedicated haulers. We pooled our money and got me into an Apoc which was the best mining ship there was (7 Meta 4 mining lasers!). I then helped to make enough for the next battleship and we carried on until everyone got a battleship, obviously the process sped up as we went. Looking back it was some of the best fun I had, shooting the breeze with my fellow corp mates while watching mining lasers and drones (Harvesters) work away while we planned our dominance of the Eve world.
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#27 - 2012-05-08 15:00:56 UTC
Execer, I have heard similar stories many times and while I played a bit in beta, I didn't actually get involved in the game until late 2005. I feel like I have missed out on SO SO much in the few years the game was in retail that I didn't participate in.

Thank you for your recollections ♥

Execer
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#28 - 2012-05-08 15:14:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Execer
One of the biggest things to change in relation to mining is hauling and storage.

I joined Hegemonic Core (HC) in the XETIC alliance a while later. We operated in the Immensea area and mining operations of 0.0 began. The methods didn't change, the hauling did. Mining groups would go out and find the coveted Ark roids. Haulers would pick up the ore and haul it to 'depots'. These depots consisited of numerous giant containers floating in space. Some areas had 3 or 4 depots on route and the ore passed between each stage eventually making it back to empire.

This was before stations in 0.0. It was a long way to travel.

Miners were paid a percentage for mining and each hauler was paid depending on the stage and volume they hauled. Miners tracked how much they mined to get paid, and this allowed the management to keep an eye on the goods to make sure thefts were not occuring. I have no idea how people kept track of the payments but it worked very well.

That hauling allowed me to become one of the very first few people to own two battleships. Apoc and Tempest. I was rich! I quit Eve for 18 months just after that. I guess the mining had taken its toll!

Hauling now days is a piece of cake in comparison to those early days.

Logistics changed the mining game more than mining has ever changed.

I always wanted to get some of that in writing, glad I finally have.
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#29 - 2012-05-08 15:24:11 UTC
I am glad too, thanks for your wonderful insight ♥

Long John Silver
Doomheim
#30 - 2012-05-08 15:45:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Long John Silver
Many Vets will remember the Miner II fiasco, when a few bpo's were prematurely seeded. Together with Harvester drones, they were the biziness before mining barges were introduced.

The oldest vets will remember the days before battleships were rolled out (or at least before anyone could afford one). Thorax was the 'must have' mining ship then!

I remember the first time when a belt was wiped out by a corp before it could re-spawn. If my memory serves me right, it was a big event arranged by BSC in Tew system a few weeks after the game was launched and most players involved were mining in frigates fitted with miner 1's.

We were easily pleased back then!

/emote: rolls over and goes back to sleep.

**Long John Silver **| Pirate Alt and Forum Troll.

Telegram Sam
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2012-05-08 16:20:34 UTC
Karn Dulake wrote:

The miners song

"Its all the same.
Only the Roids change
Everyday i feel im wasting away

Sometimes i sleep
Sometimes its not for days
And the people i meet
just want to blast me into space

Sometimes you tell the day by the system that your in
and times when your alone and all you do is think (about how productive you could be in real life)

Im a miner
in a paper hull i ride
and im wanted dead or (actually just dead)

That's actually pretty good! Smile
Nylith Empyreal
Blood Marauders
#32 - 2012-05-08 16:21:57 UTC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

Who's the more foolish the fool or the fool who replies to him?

Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#33 - 2012-05-08 16:39:19 UTC
I saved all my mining ships as I progressed...I call it The Museum.

Contained therein is a Bantam, an Osprey, my first Badger, and a Retriever, old tech 1 mining crystals...and my very first piece of velspar ore.

On active duty I still have 2 Hulks (one fit for pure yield, one fit for yield and cargo space), a Macinaw (fit for cargo space), and my brand new mint Anti-Hulkageddon Covetor (which is just a cargo expanded Covetor with a scanner....but it's platinum insured).

Had some good times in some of those ships.
Gorki Andropov
I Dn't Knw Wht You Wnt Bt I Cn't Gve It Anymre
#34 - 2012-05-08 16:40:29 UTC
"I used to be a miner, but I took a Tornado to my Hulk"
Gorki Andropov
I Dn't Knw Wht You Wnt Bt I Cn't Gve It Anymre
#35 - 2012-05-08 16:47:53 UTC
Ana Vyr wrote:
I saved all my mining ships as I progressed...I call it The Museum.

And I call that...The Madness
Thelron
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#36 - 2012-05-08 16:52:04 UTC
Long John Silver wrote:
Many Vets will remember the Miner II fiasco, when a few bpo's were prematurely seeded. Together with Harvester drones, they were the biziness before mining barges were introduced.

The oldest vets will remember the days before battleships were rolled out (or at least before anyone could afford one). Thorax was the 'must have' mining ship then!

I remember the first time when a belt was wiped out by a corp before it could re-spawn. If my memory serves me right, it was a big event arranged by BSC in Tew system a few weeks after the game was launched and most players involved were mining in frigates fitted with miner 1's.

We were easily pleased back then!

/emote: rolls over and goes back to sleep.

Stupid Gallente pilots and their stupid Thoraxes and Iterons... I just *had* to go Caldari so I ended up quite jealous of my friends' ability to mine up ammo and such whenever they needed it while I made do with a whopping 3 lasers (although those lucky SOBs who made it into a scorpion got *4* lasers).

Then of course there were 0.0 mining ops before you could even anchor a bunch of cans. And "hunting passes." And all the early CONCORD-related shenanigans... ahh, those were the days, when you REALLY never knew what was about to happen.

At least now, it's pretty easy to predict if you are or are not about to die horribly when someone warps into the belt you're mining (answer: are they in a barge or something else).
Oxylan
QRDELESH - Mutual Admiration Society
#37 - 2012-05-08 22:20:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Oxylan
Long time ago Clash of the Titans
This battle was damn long he was full of cap boosters :D this was my first true pvp.

If it bleed we can kill it.

Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
Somethin Awfull Forums
#38 - 2012-05-08 22:32:27 UTC
Battleship mining was always an option but it was laughed at by the general community. You got the typical "fail" comments when you put a geddon or a Rohk fit for mining together.

I am still seeing concerted avoidance from the GD propaganda team when you talk about solid T2 deep core, Rohk fits. They have over 70K EHP and outmine anything but a Hulk so I can see why the griefer crew wouldn't want them to become popular.
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#39 - 2012-05-08 22:56:03 UTC
The key thing I have always told victims is to mine in a battleship. The Rokh seems popular for it.

Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
Somethin Awfull Forums
#40 - 2012-05-08 22:58:00 UTC
Lady Spank wrote:
The key thing I have always told victims is to mine in a battleship. The Rokh seems popular for it.

Rokh CPU allows for mining better than other ships.
Hyperion is next on the list.
Previous page123Next page