These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Custom ship skins: A personal opinion on implementation.

Author
Deise Koraka
Caldari Investigations and Forensics
#1 - 2012-05-05 01:42:07 UTC
How I'd like to see it implemented:

1.Design:

a: Camo, Matte, Gloss, Metallic, Pearlescent options for Trim and Main layer.

b: Give each race a limited color palette, probably selectable from within the current playable variants and NPC variants to stay true to the current art style.

c: Choose from a base set of styles decided on by CCP, no wacky pink or cute spaceships.

2.Options:

a: 3 Layers to change; Main, Trim, Running lights.

b: Custom exhaust color.

c: Custom Decals

3.Execution:

a: Sell 3 options for number of uses: 1, 5, 10 use Tickets

b: Paint jobs are removable once finalized becoming a "module" once in this state it can no longer be changed. It can then be sold on the market for ISK.

c: Paint jobs are destroyed with the ship.

d: Make the price for them painless, so people keep coming back for more. 10,000 1 dollar sales are better than 100 20 dollar sales.

e: Rare limited edition skins for higher prices could pop up on the Nex store, or be given out as prizes/gifts.

Opinions?

I am a carebear, and I support High Sec ganking and PvP. Just please, don't blow up my Hulk*. **<3 **

*Mackinaw as of Inferno 1.2

Jayrendo Karr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-05-05 01:52:46 UTC
How about we never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever add more to the NeX.
Remistor Callaway
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-05-05 02:03:02 UTC
I dont want to see paint jobs on the nex store. It will make paint jobs unaffordable and even more useless. Clothes are already very expensive for their purpose, but at least there is no way to destroy them like a ship.

Paint jobs should be paid with ISK directly from the wallet(let say 1mil per paint job), a may be only some station could offer the service, like the medical center for clones.

I agree on the "no pink" part. I dont want to see gold plated ship neither.

I agree that some kind of system like the Forza storefront could be nice in EVE. Sell paint jobs to the market for ISK etc...

Custom engines trails: NO. They are already a race "signature". A Minmatar ship with blue trails makes no sense.
Alexa Coates
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-05-05 02:13:21 UTC
I want a spore-eqsue way to paint ships. You can pick full, ready made skins, or you can make your own from separate parts and colors.

That's a Templar, an Amarr fighter used by carriers.

Deise Koraka
#5 - 2012-05-05 02:14:15 UTC
Remistor Callaway wrote:
Custom engines trails: NO. They are already a race "signature". A Minmatar ship with blue trails makes no sense.

If you customize your Minmitar ship with blue running lights and a primarily black paint job, why would red/orange trails make any sense?

I am a carebear, and I support High Sec ganking and PvP. Just please, don't blow up my Hulk*. **<3 **

Deise Koraka
#6 - 2012-05-05 02:16:33 UTC
Alexa Coates wrote:
I want a spore-eqsue way to paint ships. You can pick full, ready made skins, or you can make your own from separate parts and colors.

Uh...my post included everything you said. P

Epiphaniess
Verboten Technologies
#7 - 2012-05-05 02:23:01 UTC
Jayrendo Karr wrote:
How about we never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever add more to the NeX.

Well it seems that is not going to happen, it seems that CCP has plans to add some more clothing options in the next expansion...

So I guess it is time for you to Biomass yourself in butt hurt protest, but give me your stuff first.

Have a nice day!!!
Torneach
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-05-05 02:24:36 UTC
Can we just kill the NeX store already and move all the junk in there to player production through industry?
Jayrendo Karr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-05-05 02:26:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Jayrendo Karr
Epiphaniess wrote:

Well it seems that is not going to happen, it seems that CCP has plans to add some more clothing options in the next expansion...

So I guess it is time for you to Biomass yourself in butt hurt protest, but give me your stuff first.

Have a nice day!!!

Anyone who pays for Microtransactions while still being charged full price, is an idiot, PLEXes will skyrocket making them unaffordable to anyone without 40 hours a week spare time. Hi-rez studios has the right idea which is why i more than gladly pay them for micro transactions every so often. The don't give an advantage other than the ability to get weapons faster. The game is free and all weapons are unlockable through gameplay.
Deise Koraka
#10 - 2012-05-05 02:33:59 UTC
Derailing threads is down to a science on the EvE forums.

Now we just need someone to ask about a PvE fit for a Megathron, and have someone tell them to fly a Tengu instead of answering their question, the thread will then be complete and a mod can lock it.

Styx Cyc
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-05-05 02:34:14 UTC
Someone seems to be a fan of NFS:Underground and rice rockets.
Deise Koraka
#12 - 2012-05-05 02:40:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Deise Koraka
Torneach wrote:
Can we just kill the NeX store already and move all the junk in there to player production through industry?

EvE Log: Captain Lameass:

Today I spent my time on EvE mining Tritanium to manufacture T-Shirts. It was ttly badass.
EvE 4evah bros, peace out.

Torneach
Doomheim
#13 - 2012-05-05 02:42:07 UTC
Deise Koraka wrote:
Torneach wrote:

EvE Log: Captain Lameass:

Today I spent my time on EvE mining Tritainium to manufacture T-Shirts. It was ttly badass.
EvE 4evah bros, peace out.

Yay for straw men!

Put some sunglasses on the next one, please. Cool
Lapine Davion
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#14 - 2012-05-05 02:42:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Lapine Davion
Jayrendo Karr wrote:
Epiphaniess wrote:

Have a nice day!!!

Anyone who pays for Microtransactions while still being charged full price, is an idiot, PLEXes will skyrocket making them unaffordable to anyone without 40 hours a week spare time. Hi-rez studios has the right idea which is why i more than gladly pay them for micro transactions every so often. The don't give an advantage other than the ability to get weapons faster. The game is free and all weapons are unlockable through gameplay.

It would be like this?

Edit: The Nex store isn't going to have pay to win items. It will just be pay to bling.

[b]Don't worry about posting with your main!  Post with your brain! "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."[/b]

Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#15 - 2012-05-05 02:52:56 UTC
I like your rack but you need to take that metal out of your face.

Also anything thats singular gets suicide ganked. True story

And it would take a lot of work to make your vision happen and before you know it every would by flying ponies just to annoy everyone else. Also a true story
I dont normally troll, but when i do i do it on General Discussion.
Deise Koraka
#16 - 2012-05-05 02:56:17 UTC
Torneach wrote:

Yay for straw men!

Put some sunglasses on the next one, please. Cool

Seriously though.. lower prices, a smoother implementation and permanent product availability would make the NeX a painless experience. Everything doesn't need to be limited edition, everything doesn't need to be 20$+.

Black and Red skin 1 time use for Minmitar ship: 875 Aurum (1 Plex = 4 skins)

It's reasonable, and priced low enough where someone would come back for repeated purchases for all their special / mission running bling ships.

Epiphaniess
Verboten Technologies
#17 - 2012-05-05 02:58:58 UTC
Jayrendo Karr wrote:
Epiphaniess wrote:

Have a nice day!!!

Well if there is one thing we have learned from ridiculous kill mails with ridiculously expensive ship fits is that some people like to bling out there ships with the ridiculous amounts of isk they have. And there seems to be a a lot of isk in the game that needs a place to be burnt.

And since the clothing store may not be the best way to burn that isk, since all you can really do is stand alone in your lonely captains quarters looking at yourself in your mirror.

Maybe being able to bling out your ship with more unique paint jobs and flashy lights would be more appealing for those that like to bling out ships. I think it probably would be since people can look at how much money you spent on your primary target...err I mean blingmobile.

I think it would be kind of nice to have some options such as the OP's. Although also think such options would be unlikely currently. Since have all those customization options for ships would increase the load stress on the servers a whole lot, especially in any situation where there are a large number of ships with such options, such as fleet fights, jita whatnot.

I can see CCP making it so you can change the way your ship looks, but probably not with so many options. Like change the lights, engine trails multiple color options and what not. Something more in line with swapping out the normal skin/texture map of your ship with a different one.
Deise Koraka
#18 - 2012-05-05 03:00:25 UTC
Karn Dulake wrote:
Also, anything can be suicide ganked.

And it would take very little work to make your vision happen and I didn't read your post so I didn't see the part about limiting the design choices to in house CCP designers. Also I'm trolling

I fixed your post.

Torneach
Doomheim
#19 - 2012-05-05 03:05:14 UTC
Deise Koraka wrote:
Seriously though.. lower prices, a smoother implementation and permanent product availability would make the NeX a painless experience. Everything doesn't need to be limited edition, everything doesn't need to be 20$+.

Black and Red skin 1 time use for Minmitar ship: 875 Aurum (1 Plex = 4 skins)

It's reasonable, and priced low enough where someone would come back for repeated purchases for all their special / mission running bling ships.

Pretty much everything in EVE appears in-game through some sort of player activity, whether it's mining, production, research, agent running, or blowing up ships.

Why should these cosmetic things be any different?

Deise Koraka
#20 - 2012-05-05 03:07:40 UTC
Epiphaniess wrote:

Well if there is one thing we have learned from ridiculous kill mails with ridiculously expensive ship fits is that some people like to bling out there ships with the ridiculous amounts of isk they have. And there seems to be a a lot of isk in the game that needs a place to be burnt.

And since the clothing store may not be the best way to burn that isk, since all you can really do is stand alone in your lonely captains quarters looking at yourself in your mirror.

Maybe being able to bling out your ship with more unique paint jobs and flashy lights would be more appealing for those that like to bling out ships. I think it probably would be since people can look at how much money you spent on your primary target...err I mean blingmobile.

I think it would be kind of nice to have some options such as the OP's. Although also think such options would be unlikely currently. Since have all those customization options for ships would increase the load stress on the servers a whole lot, especially in any situation where there are a large number of ships with such options, such as fleet fights, jita whatnot.

I can see CCP making it so you can change the way your ship looks, but probably not with so many options. Like change the lights, engine trails multiple color options and what not. Something more in line with swapping out the normal skin/texture map of your ship with a different one.

I think that's part of the fun, heightening the risk of being a gank target, just so you can look awesome. At the same time, if it's priced cheap, most nice mission boats will have them, which will mean safety in numbers for the high-seccers, but more targets to choose from for gankers.

I agree the simple re-skins will probably be the reality of it, but one can dream.

123Next pageLast page