These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Piracy, Griefing, Hulkageddon, and what they contribute to EVE-O

Author
Digital Messiah
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#1 - 2012-05-04 22:30:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Digital Messiah
A little about PiracyPirate
EVE Online Pirate 101

You may be asking yourself. . . What is the difference between a griefer and a pirate?
A few descriptions of griefing in other games:

1. Player killing in games that do not have separate areas, or an option, to keep those who want this type of gameplay from attacking those who do not. This does not include games that are designed with constant player combat in mind.

2. Intentional friendly fire or deliberately performing actions detrimental to team members' game performance, including wasting key game elements and colluding with the opposition for the primary or exclusive purpose of causing grief to team members and deriving pleasure from that act rather than deriving some benefit.(referred to as "ghosting")

3. Any methods of reversing another player's progress for the primary or exclusive purpose of causing grief to team members and deriving pleasure from that act rather than deriving some benefit.

4. Written and/or verbal insults, false accusations of cheating/griefing

5. Stealing other players' items and/or experience (when done for the purpose of harassment, not self-gain)

6. Spamming when done with an element of intent to bother other players rather than derive some benefit.

7. Camping at a corpse or area to kill someone as soon as they resurrect when done for the sole purpose of causing grief to another player or players.

8. Acting out-of-character in a role-play setting when done with the intent of harming of disrupting the game play of others.

9. Luring many monsters or one big one to chase the griefer and then rushing to where others are (kiting), for the purpose of getting other people killed by this surprise mass of monsters. The line of monsters in pursuit looks like a train, and hence this is sometimes called "training".

10. Blocking another player's way so they cannot move or get out of a particular area, or access an in-game resource (such as a non-player character)for the purpose of harming that player without deriving any benefit from the act.

11. Deliberately blocking shots from your own team or blocking a player's view by standing in front of them so they can not damage the enemy with the sole purpose of harming your own team, rather than deriving a benefit from doing so.

Why it doesn't apply in EVE-Online:

1. EVE is a game where constant player combat is in mind. Concord isn't a safe house feature, but rather a buffer to help those who are learning the game. Or those wishing to be a little "safer".

2. Ghosting in eve can often be referred to as espionage, vengeance seeking, or willful acts of boredom. Corporations and alliances are always looking out for those that would hurt them internally. It is a major feature of eve that is not only useful but necessary.

3. Otherwise known as can flipping or ninja looting. The reason this doesn't apply as griefing is because it benefits another individual. To an extent that may some times seem miniscule to a player. Regardless it still allows the sandbox to be more open world and interactive.

4. The only exception to this is posting Real Life information, racial slurs, death threats, or recently as we have found out insisting they commit suicide. In any other case it is good ol' fun trolling. Taunting, goading, or luring a player into a battle of text wits is by all means a legal action in EVE.

5. A player can only lose experience in eve under a few circumstances. Being killed without an active clone or having their ship destroyed while flying a strategic cruiser. All forms of item stealing whether through scam, ninja looting, corporate espionage, or looting wrecks, are legal actions. Some of these can merit the appearance of concord. As stated before Concord is not a "safe house" they are a buffer.

6. Irrelevant because of the ignore feature that exists both on the forums and in-game. If a player continues to use alts and trial accounts to continue this practice. A GM may sometimes though rather rarely take action.

7. With the ability to use jump clones, cloaking devices, concord, and RR / fleeting up, it can be near impossible to camp a player. There have been instances where a player has been black balled and hunted. In these cases other actions are available to try and avoid being camped.

8. EVE does not have sanctioned ROLE PLAYING zones or servers. You RP at your own risk and failure to comprehend this is not another players responsibility.

9. You cannot lure rats / npcs to an area. If a player risks wandering into a dangerous zone it is their own fault for dieing. Rats and NPCs also do not pod kill players.

10. This can otherwise be known as tackling. Which is a working as intended game mechanic. It is not possible to stop a player from interacting with an agent in eve.

11. There is no ship collision in EVE. A titan can not stand in front of a fleet and block the primary target from being shot. All other actions that allow a blue player to help an opposing fleet / corporation are working as intended features.

What Hulkageddon Attributes to EVE-O:

• An in game sink:
  • Every time a ship is destroyed in eve the insurance and minerals used to make the ship and it's modules are destroyed.

• Interaction with piracy:
  • A lot of players are new to the idea of PVP combat in EVE. Hulkageddon puts this right in the faces of a lot of people. It forces features and buffers such as concord and fleet mining to be more prevalent.

• Player created events:
  • Hulkageddon is a player created event with its own reward system. Player created content is a very important feature in any sandbox MMO.

Something clever

Digital Messiah
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#2 - 2012-05-04 22:31:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Digital Messiah
Some discussed cons to hulkageddon is the balance of the hulk and other mining barges T1 and T2 alike. This is not the players responsibility to police but rather something that CCP has to address if they deem it an issue.

Thank you for reading, sorry there is no TL;DR version. It is however laid out in an easy to navigate format.

Something clever

Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#3 - 2012-05-04 22:34:06 UTC
what's the tldr version?
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#4 - 2012-05-04 22:37:47 UTC
For the hard of reading, 90% of what is considered griefing in every other MMO is legitimate in Eve.

Nice use of a piracy guide that contains footage of Wing Commander, OP you could have posted gibberish and you still would have got my like just for the youtube video.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Adria Origin
Yar Har Fiddle Di Dee
#5 - 2012-05-04 22:37:54 UTC
Miilla wrote:
what's the tldr version?

Looks like the tldr is HTFU.
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#6 - 2012-05-04 22:39:08 UTC
Adria Origin wrote:
Miilla wrote:
what's the tldr version?

Looks like the tldr is HTFU.

I prefer the condensed version of that, "LOL".
Thomas Kreshant
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-05-04 22:40:14 UTC
Well that was boring, thanks.
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#8 - 2012-05-04 22:42:14 UTC
Well it was a nice read. I liked the step by step comparison.
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#9 - 2012-05-04 22:42:53 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:

Pity its got 33 too many steps, more steps than a Hitchcock movie.
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#10 - 2012-05-04 22:48:25 UTC
Miilla wrote:
Corina Jarr wrote:

Pity its got 33 too many steps, more steps than a Hitchcock movie.

11 + 11 + 3 is not 33?

Anyway if you don't like to read, go watch a movie.
Alara IonStorm
#11 - 2012-05-04 22:49:48 UTC
Digital Messiah wrote:

4. Written and/or verbal insults, false accusations of cheating/griefing

Knowingly petitioning people for cheating when you are aware that they are not will get you ban if you get caught.
Digital Messiah wrote:

6. Spamming when done with an element of intent to bother other players rather than derive some benefit. .

Spaming chat windows in a fight is against the rules.
Digital Messiah wrote:

10. Blocking another player's way so they cannot move or get out of a particular area, or access an in-game resource (such as a non-player character)for the purpose of harming that player without deriving any benefit from the act.

This rule actually applies to bumping ships you have no plans to destroy to keep them from getting into warp.

But yeah for the most part EVE is very lax but that is more genre based then anything else. You just can't use the theme park yardstick to measure EVE.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#12 - 2012-05-04 23:04:13 UTC
I insured one guy's mining operation, 250m from each of his 10 alts

his hulks are now safe

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Alara IonStorm
#13 - 2012-05-04 23:12:17 UTC
Andski wrote:

his hulks are now safe

You should show up to his Mining Op's for personal guard duty.

How can that Armageddon guard us if it has no guns, are awesome last words.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#14 - 2012-05-04 23:14:08 UTC
Andski wrote:

his hulks are now safe

Insurance or protection racket Question not that there's actually that much difference between the two Twisted

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2012-05-04 23:20:57 UTC
Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#16 - 2012-05-04 23:36:05 UTC
So does that make me a Pirate when i troll on this forum as i gain for not feeling so bad about myself and passing a little bit of it onto someone else.

Also that definition is just stuff you made up
I dont normally troll, but when i do i do it on General Discussion.
Bootleg Jack
ACME Mineral and Gas
#17 - 2012-05-04 23:48:52 UTC
I always thought griefer was what sore losers called the winner Shocked

I'm an American, English is my second language...

Sycho Pathic
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2012-05-04 23:57:50 UTC
Karn Dulake wrote:
So does that make me a Pirate when i troll on this forum as i gain for not feeling so bad about myself and passing a little bit of it onto someone else.

No. That's called being an *******.
Different thing entirely.
Zverofaust
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2012-05-04 23:58:50 UTC
I believe the word you were looking for is contribute, not attribute.
Digital Messiah
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#20 - 2012-05-05 00:38:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Digital Messiah
Zverofaust wrote:
I believe the word you were looking for is contribute, not attribute.

Thanks, title was the first thing i did. So I wasn't really thinking.

Also I made this post as a means to show people that what they consider griefing in EVE is just plain old pirating. It is an essential part of this game and tons of people enjoy doing it. Perhaps this post was a bit bland. But I wanted even new players to be able to comprehend how this career in EVE works.

Something clever