These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

MST3k Appreciation Station

Author
Lapine Davion
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#1 - 2012-05-03 19:15:14 UTC
From Wikipedia wrote:
Mystery Science Theater 3000 (often abbreviated as MST3K) is an American cult television comedy series created by Joel Hodgson and produced by Best Brains, Inc., that ran from 1988 to 1999.
The series features a man and his robot sidekicks who are trapped on a space station by an evil scientist and forced to watch a selection of bad movies, often (but not limited to) science fiction B-movies. To keep sane, the man and his robots provide a running commentary on each film, making fun of its flaws and wisecracking (or "riffing") their way through each reel in the style of a movie-theater peanut gallery. Each film is presented with a superimposition of the man and robots' silhouettes along the bottom of the screen.
Series creator Hodgson originally played the stranded man, Joel Robinson, for five and a half seasons. When Hodgson left in 1993, series head writer Michael J. Nelson replaced him as new victim Mike Nelson, and continued in the role for the rest of the show's run.
During its eleven years, 198 episodes and one feature film, MST3K attained critical acclaim. The series won a Peabody Award in 1993, was nominated for two Emmy Awards (in the category of Outstanding Individual Achievement in Writing for a Variety or Music Program) in 1994 and 1995,[1] and was nominated for a CableACE Award.
In 2007, James Poniewozik listed Mystery Science Theater 3000 as one of Time magazine's "100 Best TV Shows of All-TIME."[2]

I have to spread the joy of Mystery Science Theater 3000 to everyone. Post your favorite episodes here. Or alternately post the episode you are currently watching.

I'm watching "Squirm"! It's comes with a short, "A Case of Spring Fever". Youtube Link

[b]Don't worry about posting with your main!  Post with your brain! "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."[/b]

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#2 - 2012-05-03 19:29:39 UTC
Manos: Hands of Fate.

Even Dr. Forrester was sorrry.

The last good silly comedy - never let it die.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Lapine Davion
#3 - 2012-05-03 19:30:42 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

IDK, Manos wasn't all that great. From what I heard, it was really hard for them to make fun of it, because it was just so bad.

[b]Don't worry about posting with your main!  Post with your brain! "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."[/b]

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-05-03 20:16:03 UTC
Santa Claus

Santa vs Satan! Crazy mexico movies P

Very creepy

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#5 - 2012-05-03 21:14:16 UTC
Lapine Davion wrote:
IDK, Manos wasn't all that great. From what I heard, it was really hard for them to make fun of it, because it was just so bad.

Confirmed. You laughed at pretty much anything the Brains said because the movie was that bad. Honestly, the first twenty minutes was driving through a very bland countryside as filler.

"Time of the Apes", "Mitchell", and "The Human Duplicators" are by far my favorite episodes.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

Destru Kaneda
Arzad Police Department
#6 - 2012-05-03 21:14:23 UTC
Who are we?
Bats!
What do we want?
Insects!

Deathstalker III.
Lapine Davion
#7 - 2012-05-03 21:18:31 UTC
Destru Kaneda wrote:
Who are we?
Bats!
What do we want?
Insects!

Deathstalker III.

Your Pumaman comment made me want to watch Pumaman again.

My favorite episodes are Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, Outlaw of Gor, and The Day the Earth Froze (my first episode when I was 11)

Wild Rho
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2012-05-04 06:32:08 UTC
Space mutiny :3
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-05-04 07:06:12 UTC
Wild Rho wrote:

Fist Rockbone!

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Stomp Beefnog
Doomheim
#10 - 2012-05-04 07:29:17 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
Wild Rho wrote:

Fist Rockbone!

Plunderbunny here, claimed a name from Space Mutiny before they were all gone Big smile

Definitely the most memorable portion of the entire seriesLol
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Reloaded
Domain Research and Mining Inst.
#11 - 2012-05-04 14:05:18 UTC
Who is this gentle stranger with pecs like melons and knees of fringe?

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#12 - 2012-05-04 23:13:07 UTC
Wild Rho wrote:

Oh God no.

I have that episode.

Those golf carts....

"I'm gonna pop my skull out at you!"

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Lapine Davion
#13 - 2012-05-05 00:34:54 UTC
Wild Rho wrote:

I used to have an original VHS copy of this movie. It cost me 50 cents. I think I overpaid.

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#14 - 2012-05-05 00:41:59 UTC
Lapine Davion wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

That is what made Manos so great. They were freaking out by first break because it was so horrible.

Oh my god, the movie started over!
Noooooooooo!

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2012-05-05 02:00:30 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
Lapine Davion wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

That is what made Manos so great. They were freaking out by first break because it was so horrible.

Noooooooooo!

Torgo's school of fondling! Big smile

Alain Kinsella
#16 - 2012-05-08 00:08:25 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
Lapine Davion wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

Noooooooooo!

I've actually seen the original, at a games convention. A weekend-long event was created to repeat the MST3K experiment with willing 'peanut gallery' participants. Points given for creativity etc. This eventually included more modern material like Leonard, Part 3.

That being said, the group watching Manos (myself included) had as much of a problem trying to heckle it as the original cast. And my roommate (huge fan of the series) thought I was crazy to sit in on that.

Also, I didn't think it was horrible, just boring. Then again, I had already watched some pretty bad material from other sources ('The Web Planet' from original Dr Who anyone?).

"The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever."

Currently Retired / Semi-Casual (pending changes to RL concerns).

Bernie Nator
Allspark Industries
Transformographagizers
#17 - 2012-05-08 05:13:15 UTC
I'll just leave this here for you.
I named my jeep Big McLargeHuge.
Sidus Isaacs
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2012-05-08 07:53:17 UTC
I have only ever seen the hands of faith episode. Maybe it was the badness of that particular movie that made me not want to see any more mst3k, but I did not find it all that funny :P
Pinstar Colton
Sweet Asteroid Acres
#19 - 2012-05-10 19:49:41 UTC
Wild Rho wrote:

And they gave birth to an 8 1/2 pound pork roast.

In the cat-and-mouse game that is low sec, there is no shame in learning to be a better mouse.

Andrey Wartooth
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-05-11 01:45:29 UTC
Sidus Isaacs wrote:
I have only ever seen the hands of faith episode. Maybe it was the badness of that particular movie that made me not want to see any more mst3k, but I did not find it all that funny :P

I would not call Manos a "beginners episode". It's pretty painful to watch. I'd suggest taking a look at the last three episodes of Season 8, "Space Mutiny" (which has great special effects taken right from the old BSG), "Time Chasers" (which wasn't a *terrible movie*), and "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank" (which is a poor mans The Matrix with no kung fu or bullet time, or budget. But it does have Raul Julia who is incredible). Other notable episodes are Episode 511 "Gunslinger", Episode 512 "Mitchell", Episode 519 "Outlaw of Gor", Episode 321 "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians", Episode 422 "The Day the Earth Froze" (my first episode I ever saw. I was 11), and Episode 706 "Laserblast". These are all excellent episodes.

MST3k is so good, it's been referenced in numerous Lucasarts video games. Rebel Assault 2 even has an entire MST3k mode, complete with theater shadows.
12Next page