These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

so why no different paint jobs?

Author
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#21 - 2012-05-03 13:06:30 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
I don't even know how custom paint jobs can even be possible in EVE. If you had 100 ships on grid, all with different paint jobs, what kind of load is that going to put on the server, much less everybody's computers?

I don't even want to think about how badly that would end up.
I find it ironic how the more mundane stuff that gets suggested draws cries of "please, think of the kittens server!" while everybody gets caught up in the prospect of Hello Kitty Scorpions completely disregarding the fact that whenever you warp in everyone has to load your custom skin.

I mean, if there's a way of doing it without it being computationally and network intensive, then I'm all for it. I just don't see how.

If programmed properly, there should be no difference between you loading 100 identical ships with the standard paint jobs, 100 different ships with the standard paint jobs or 100 of any ships with varying custom paintjobs.

Unless they are trying to let people us MS Paint / Photoshop / whatever to paint their ships, your comment makes no sense if anyone with any sense is in charge of the project. When it comes, it will be the same as customizing your character (selecting from various pre-designed skins loaded onto your client) .
Ravnik
Infinate Horizon
#22 - 2012-05-03 13:46:22 UTC
I want flames painted down the side of my ships rather than spewing out of them.

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly..........

Buzzmong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2012-05-03 15:26:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Buzzmong
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:

If programmed properly, there should be no difference between you loading 100 identical ships with the standard paint jobs, 100 different ships with the standard paint jobs or 100 of any ships with varying custom paintjobs.

Unless they are trying to let people us MS Paint / Photoshop / whatever to paint their ships, your comment makes no sense if anyone with any sense is in charge of the project. When it comes, it will be the same as customizing your character (selecting from various pre-designed skins loaded onto your client) .

Well no, not quite.

Even if it's from pre-selected skins/options etc where the textures are already in the client, it could still mean extra network traffic as the server might have to relay more information to the clients.

I assume that currently the server will just be sending the ship ID and the client will do the work by knowing that each unique shiptype ID has a single skin.

Adding custom/more skins either it means having a bucket load more shiptype ID's to maintain the 1-1 relationship (and same level of traffic), or sending extra data to tell each client on grid which subskin each ship on grid is using (more traffic, quite a bit actually).

Unless of couse, it's all just done clientside and you can't see the custom skins others are using, only your own.
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#24 - 2012-05-03 15:48:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniel Plain
Buzzmong wrote:
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:

Well no, not quite.

Even if it's from pre-selected skins/options etc where the textures are already in the client, it could still mean extra network traffic as the server might have to relay more information to the clients.

I assume that currently the server will just be sending the ship ID and the client will do the work by knowing that each unique shiptype ID has a single skin.

Adding custom/more skins either it means having a bucket load more shiptype ID's to maintain the 1-1 relationship (and same level of traffic), or sending extra data to tell each client on grid which subskin each ship on grid is using (more traffic, quite a bit actually).

Unless of couse, it's all just done clientside and you can't see the custom skins others are using, only your own.

except the server also has to transmit ship position, velocity, pilot actions etc. all the ******* time and not only once when you come onto grid.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Buzzmong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2012-05-03 15:54:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Buzzmong
Daniel Plain wrote:
except the server also has to ship position, velocity, pilot actions etc. all the ******* time and not only once when you come onto grid.

Yeah, I was just talking about the texturing side, and the fact it could increase the current load. The amount of information on ship position, orientation etc.. isn't going to change with custom paint jobs, but yes custom jobs could add to the load that those things already cause.
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#26 - 2012-05-03 16:24:12 UTC
Buzzmong wrote:
Daniel Plain wrote:
except the server also has to ship position, velocity, pilot actions etc. all the ******* time and not only once when you come onto grid.

Yeah, I was just talking about the texturing side, and the fact it could increase the current load. The amount of information on ship postion, orientation etc.. isn't going to change with custom paint jobs, but yes, it custom jobs could add to the load that those things already cause.

Yes, I'll concede your point.

It could add up to 0.001% more information being exchanged between server and client (that is a high ball figure I'm estimating you)

In other words, absolutely nothing.

Unless your internet connection consists of a telegraph wired to a NIC card and piped over a satellite connection in the middle of Antarctica.

It will increase the load the same way starting my lawn mower contributes to global warming.

Why do I get the feeling you are commenting on a topic you obviously have no technical insight on what-so-ever?
In fact, how the hell do people like you even figure out how to install the client, let alone play Eve?
Just Alter
Futures Abstractions
#27 - 2012-05-03 16:28:40 UTC
Daniel Plain wrote:
Just Alter wrote:
[...]fleets would loose[...]

it's 'lose' not 'loose' unless you refer to screws, california's drug policy or female genitalia.

I usually dont do that mistake What?

Btw cool idea the corp paint job!

People would change corp just for the colors Cool
Buzzmong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2012-05-03 16:47:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Buzzmong
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:

It could add up to 0.001% more information being exchanged between server and client (that is a high ball figure I'm estimating you)

Unless your internet connection consists of a telegraph wired to a NIC card and piped over a satellite connection in the middle of Antarctica.

It will increase the load the same way starting my lawn mower contributes to global warming.

Why do I get the feeling you are commenting on a topic you obviously have no technical insight on what-so-ever?
In fact, how the hell do people like you even figure out how to install the client, let alone play Eve?

Right...you do realise that that extra nugget of information would have to be sent PER client on grid?

So in a grid where there are lots of players, ie fleet fights, trade hubs etc...that extra information adds up. What seems to be a tiny thing to begin with suddenly becomes something substantial.

If it's implemented as a new data field it's going to require tracking on the server, meaning more DB calls. Yay! Sounds good right? I love adding to server load!

As a response to your lawnmower example. Yes, one lawnmower isn't going to make any difference. Thousands however, do. Just like cars. Or cows (methane). Or planes. Or people for that matter.
Or on the opposite front: A single solar panel does very little, a group of them however.....

Also, nice personal attack implying I'm stupid.
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#29 - 2012-05-03 16:56:32 UTC
Buzzmong wrote:
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:

Right...you do realise that that extra nugget of information would have to be sent PER client on grid?

So in a grid where there are lots of players, ie fleet fights, trade hubs etc...that extra information adds up. What seems to be a tiny thing to begin with suddenly becomes something substantial.

If it's implemented as a new data field it's going to require tracking on the server, meaning more DB calls. Yay! Sounds good right? I love adding to server load!

As a response to your lawnmower example. Yes, one lawnmower isn't going to make any difference. Thousands however, do. Just like cars. Or cows (methane). Or planes. Or people for that matter.
Or on the opposite front: A single solar panel does very little, a group of them however.....

Also, nice personal attack implying I'm stupid.

You are

Thousands of lawn mowers don't matter either. Yes, it's more than one, but still not a significant contribution to the problem at hand.

You don't seem to understand how miniscule of an impact this one additional data-field would have.

That's not your fault. We don't fault blind men for not being able to see and we don't fault stupid people for not having been born more intelligent. I blame your parents.
Buzzmong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2012-05-03 17:04:21 UTC
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:
You are

Thousands of lawn mowers don't matter either. Yes, it's more than one, but still not a significant contribution to the problem at hand.

You don't seem to understand how miniscule of an impact this one additional data-field would have.

That's not your fault. We don't fault blind men for not being able to see and we don't fault stupid people for not having been born more intelligent. I blame your parents.

Ah? So it would have an impact then? That was my point all along.
Thanks for agreeing with me.

Also, I'm not going to sink to your level of personal attacks, despite you attempting to get me do so.
FireT
Venom Pointe Industries
#31 - 2012-05-03 17:27:19 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
I don't even know how custom paint jobs can even be possible in EVE. If you had 100 ships on grid, all with different paint jobs, what kind of load is that going to put on the server, much less everybody's computers?

I don't even want to think about how badly that would end up.
I find it ironic how the more mundane stuff that gets suggested draws cries of "please, think of the kittens server!" while everybody gets caught up in the prospect of Hello Kitty Scorpions completely disregarding the fact that whenever you warp in everyone has to load your custom skin.

I mean, if there's a way of doing it without it being computationally and network intensive, then I'm all for it. I just don't see how.

Well said. Well said. This effectively summarizes almost every single Eve demand / complaint. We demand XYZ but ignore the potential implementation costs.
Boz Wel
4S Corporation
Goonswarm Federation
#32 - 2012-05-03 17:27:21 UTC
Hostility and personal attacks are almost never the way to make a convincing point. Buzz merely said that there would be some impact on the amount of network traffic resulting from this change and he's right.

On the other hand, I tend to agree that adding to server load in and of itself is not a reason to avoid a new feature, particularly when the impact would be exceedingly minimal as it would be here. If we're talking about selecting one of a preset number of skins, and thus you'd only need to transfer an identifier for the skin to the client. That's a one-time (per appearance on grid) increase of a few bytes per ship appearing on the grid, which amounts to nothing in the grand scheme of things. It'd be different if they allowed players to upload image files for skinning their ships, but with preset skins, I don't imagine it's any more intensive than showing which modules are equipped on a ship (e.g., which guns a ship has equipped) and could almost certainly be pulled from the DB in the same operation.
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#33 - 2012-05-03 18:04:36 UTC
Buzzmong wrote:
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:
You are

Ah? So it would have an impact then? That was my point all along.
Thanks for agreeing with me.

Also, I'm not going to sink to your level of personal attacks, despite you attempting to get me do so.

congratulations. you have succeeded in proving an irrelevant point. you should be proud of yourself.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#34 - 2012-05-03 18:24:16 UTC
Just for the record, communicating custom paint jobs can be done quite easily with 196 bits sent once per ship:
64 bit patternID
64 bit color A/B in 32 bit RGB
64 bit color C/D in 32 bit RGB

That's more potential patterns than could be machine generated in several years, and 4 colors per pattern.
If they wanted to optimise it somewhat and have only 8 patterns per hull type and 128 colors with up to 4 colors per pattern it can all be sent in 32 bits.

196 bits = ######################## (assuming single-byte characters)
32 bits = ####

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#35 - 2012-05-03 18:32:13 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
Just for the record, communicating custom paint jobs can be done quite easily with 196 bits sent once per ship:
64 bit patternID
64 bit color A/B in 32 bit RGB
64 bit color C/D in 32 bit RGB

That's more potential patterns than could be machine generated in several years, and 4 colors per pattern.
If they wanted to optimise it somewhat and have only 8 patterns per hull type and 128 colors with up to 4 colors per pattern it can all be sent in 32 bits.

196 bits = ######################## (assuming single-byte characters)
32 bits = ####

you can reduce this number even further if you use optimized small color palettes. which you should unless you are ok with #ffff00 fleets giving you eye cancer.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Boz Wel
4S Corporation
Goonswarm Federation
#36 - 2012-05-03 18:38:54 UTC
I imagine they could do something like the background images we select when creating our avatars, such that you don't even need to store color scheme value but rather only need to store the identifier of a preset skin. To that end though - aren't they already planning to do that in upcoming patches?
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#37 - 2012-05-03 18:40:58 UTC
Boz Wel wrote:
I imagine they could do something like the background images we select when creating our avatars, such that you don't even need to store color scheme value but rather only need to store the identifier of a preset skin.

that's what i said in nerd talk right above your post.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Cedo Nulli
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#38 - 2012-05-03 19:40:53 UTC
I love it when good ideas get muffled under a carpet of "Ass kissing CCP helper trolls" thats only contribution to any idea is "Oh but it required work !! No cant be done .. oh no it requires more cpu work / bandwith .. cant be done"

Focus on the ideas and let CCP worry about technical side ... you know they do have real professionals to determine if its possible or not.

I personally think its a great idea ... alliances/corps should be able to make their own "template" that you could apply with a press of a button if you are a member. What would be more awesome sight then a massive fleet of many shiptypes yet same colortheme and logos on the side.

It would be great.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#39 - 2012-05-03 20:41:36 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
Cedo Nulli wrote:
I love it when good ideas get muffled under a carpet of "Ass kissing CCP helper trolls" thats only contribution to any idea is "Oh but it required work !! No cant be done .. oh no it requires more cpu work / bandwith .. cant be done"

Focus on the ideas and let CCP worry about technical side ... you know they do have real professionals to determine if its possible or not.

I'm well aware of that. I'm asking because I want to know how it can be done, not because I think CCP is stupid and is going to implement something that requires a supercomputing cluster to run.

I don't really understand how you can fit a custom paint job in 196 bits or less, but I'll take your word for it that it can be done. 196 bits definitely sounds reasonable to me. 32 even better.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#40 - 2012-05-03 20:57:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniel Plain
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

I'm well aware of that. I'm asking because I want to know how it can be done, not because I think CCP is stupid and is going to implement something that requires a supercomputing cluster to run.

I don't really understand how you can fit a custom paint job in 196 bits or less, but I'll take your word for it that it can be done. 196 bits definitely sounds reasonable to me. 32 even better.

basically what you do is instead of letting people paint their own car any way they like you have them choose between a set number of base colors and give them a selection of decorations that they can put in one or several predefined places on their car. now that i think of it, it's exactly how you customized your car in NFS:Underground and in those days, it was pretty damn awesome...

edit: the advantage is that now the server only needs to tell the client: 'ok, so this ship has base color #15 with decals number #12, #5 and #35 in decal slots #1, #3 and #4 respectively.' this can be pressed into one number and the client knows how to paint the model.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Previous page123Next page